NCL Makes New Offer for Sun Passengers!!!

MizDemeanor

I had two recent experiences on the Pearl. One was when the Spinnaker was being remodeled DURING the cruise. Wasn't a "showstopper" in my mind but it certainly would have been nice to use it. I believe the remodel had started on the cruise before. The Spinnaker reopened during the last couple days of our cruise but didn't have the full complement of chairs. The second experience, about a month later, was that about 1/2 of the ship was booked by a group called "Grown and Sexy". If I had known (since while I'm grown I'm definitely not sexy), I might have chosen a different sailing. Turned out, I would take the exact same cruise again. While the large group had plenty of special events that us non-Grown and Sexy people weren't invited to, the rest of the ship was quite uncrowded and pleasant. I met lots of nice people, it worked out well.

I guess my point is that when something significant on the ship (like a "moving dry dock" or 1/2 the ship being filled with a special interest group) is happening it ought to communicated honestly to perspective passengers as we book. Then, with that information, the perspective cruiser could decide whether to take a chance or not. In the second case with the large group, I repeatedly asked NCL reps (on the 800 line) about the group (which I found out about in the Roll Call for that cruise) and the employees always claimed to know nothing. My experience is that NCL employees will tell me very little about ship operations.

Generally good communication helps. It does often seem lacking with NCL.

I agree with this. The Star is going to drydock at the end of it's TA on May 6. I hope NCL communicated that information to the pax and whatever work their crew may be doing during the crossing will not disrupt people's relaxation.

Maybe it's the DSC (aka gratuities) that FDR raises every 6 months. ;);):)

check the other DSC and then come back to us. Most of the lines have a similar price within about 50 cents. What a useless comment this is. and btw they are not raised every 6 months. :o:o

100ish people showed up to the Captains Q&A where rude people would not let the captain speak. That's 4% of the people onboard.

The observation lounge accommodates 274... and it was very crowded with people standing shoulder to shoulder throughout the room. There was no announcement that there would be a meeting - just word of mouth, and there was still, by different estimates, 300-400 people in attendance.

The reason some yelled was to try to be heard - the captain had a microphone. He said he would answer questions. People yelled questions (true, it was not orderly, but unless someone took the lead and had people line up for questions, how else could it go?). The captain walked out. It was unfortunate that he, or someone at NCL, did not organize the Q&A so it could work.

I really hope that this never happens on another ship. If this is somewhat normal practice, it needs to change. This construction was fully under the control of NCL, not an accident or unforeseen incident.

check the other DSC and then come back to us. Most of the lines have a similar price within about 50 cents. What a useless comment this is. and btw they are not raised every 6 months. :o:o

True, but when one raises they all raise. Should be subject to the Sherman Antitrust Act. Raises also more than the current inflation rate.

The observation lounge accommodates 274... and it was very crowded with people standing shoulder to shoulder throughout the room. There was no announcement that there would be a meeting - just word of mouth, and there was still, by different estimates, 300-400 people in attendance.

The reason some yelled was to try to be heard - the captain had a microphone. He said he would answer questions. People yelled questions (true, it was not orderly, but unless someone took the lead and had people line up for questions, how else could it go?). The captain walked out. It was unfortunate that he, or someone at NCL, did not organize the Q&A so it could work.

I really hope that this never happens on another ship. If this is somewhat normal practice, it needs to change. This construction was fully under the control of NCL, not an accident or unforeseen incident.

Thank you for posting, many people posting and forming opinions based upon the reports...,. but your information is first hand because you lived it..... Sorry it happen to you.

True, but when one raises they all raise. Should be subject to the Sherman Antitrust Act. Raises also more than the current inflation rate.

totally agree with you on that and I like many are getting a little tired of seeing the gratuities going up every year or so, even though it is only a few cents. It is more the principle than anything else.

Thanks for coming on here and telling us what actually happened.

NCL spin shouldn't pass unchallenged.

Thanks for coming on here and telling us what actually happened.

NCL spin shouldn't pass unchallenged.

As I said elsewhere, anyone who takes the last NCL cruise before a dry dock is asking for potential trouble. Why wouldn't everyone learn from this and avoid such cruises in the future?

As I said elsewhere, anyone who takes the last NCL cruise before a dry dock is asking for potential trouble. Why wouldn't everyone learn from this and avoid such cruises in the future?

Because drydock schedules are not published by NCL on their site, the phone agents and even private ta's are not going to tell you, and for the vast majority of people they expect what the advertising says they will get. Some people on CC know about this issue, but that's a small drop in a small bucket. We are the statistical minority by far

Thats BS, their should not be any construction going on while passengers are on ship, outside of touch up painting and work to the hull. Let NCL do the construction on their time

NCL should put in their advertisement that this is "the last cruise before drydock" the same way they will put that some cabins categories may be obstructed.