NCL Makes New Offer for Sun Passengers!!!

MizDemeanor

I am very happy for the passengers with this offer and compensation. Good for NCL. IMHO its totally fair to both sides. What irks me some is NCL never believed the passengers deserved this and only under media pressure that they changed. Those photos and videos are worth a thousand words. I must admit I probably would have thought it was an exaggeration story without those photos. The ship really was a floating construction zone. One passenger reported that one bar on the ship was closed to passengers and was the "Construction safety/supervisor office." I just cant believe how they thought they could get away with this. This was not just simple construction painting around the ship. This was dry dock at sea. The smell, noise, health risks, and comfort would irk anyone on such a luxury cruise (Miami to LA). The offer is good but I would have liked to have seen a more direct apology and statement they would never allow this to happen again.

Lets end on a positive note. Lessons learned. Lets hope this never happens again, or be honest about the cruise. NCL could have promoted it as a relocation/construction cruise. Passengers will be inconvenienced by construction but offering discounted prices. No hidden agendas.

I think you will see some very low price deal on the line over the year or so. This PR nightmare is going to keep costing them for a long time. With many passengers cancelling trips. If you can travel last minute should be some great deals.

If NCL had done this last week and gotten ahead of this storm, I believe they would have been praised for their actions and for doing the right thing.

Now it appears that they are doing the right thing because and only because they were found out and caught in the public eye ripping off their passengers.

As near as I can tell, they have done the right thing for the wrong reason.

I only hope that the cost of this will stop them from doing it again because I don't think they cared about their passengers on this cruise but only cared about the publicity those passengers were able to shine on NCL's abhorrent actions.

The negative media coverage makes NCL budge. It's shameful they wouldn't do the right thing until all the bad press started to snowball.

NCL you lost and will continue to lose much, much more revenue and respect than the tiny amount you saved by subjecting these 'valued' passengers to that 15 day disgrace you called a cruise.

Do you honestly think NCL is the only one who has run into similar problems. Yes, what happened was inexcusable but they have made it right the best they can. As for losing anything, I don't think NCL is worried about this particularly. I do think it was too bad it took them this long to respond in an acceptable way for everyone. the fact still remains, they cam through. Why the negative post you just made? you were not even on the cruise anymore than I was?

NCL seems to be a company run by yo-yo's. This happens over and over. Then they go overboard in reconciling the disaster. Had they compensated the passengers appropriately and in a timely manner, the BAD PR could have been avoided.

Recently, something similar happened when a couple put their docs in checked luggage. After the story broke, NCL stood it's ground. Then the PR got even worse. So what does NCL do? They not only gave the couple a refund but also a free cruise. Simply giving a free cruise after the first article could have snuffed out the damage and NCL could have kept the refund money. Why is Del Rio paid more than the CEO of Carnival and RCL? Stupid Board of Directors!

How many times have you sailed NCL? As for the example of the couple who put their docs in the luggage, it was a very sad situation but in absolutely no way was NCL to blame for that They did what they had to do on that one. I have no idea who is paid what but I do know what has happened to the stocks on the 3 lines you are referring too this year: NCL is doing the best and Oceania is becoming an extremely popular upscale line. So don't knock, what you having tried. If you had tried it and were not satisfied that is a different story.

How many times have you sailed NCL? As for the example of the couple who put their docs in the luggage, it was a very sad situation but in absolutely no way was NCL to blame for that They did what they had to do on that one. I have no idea who is paid what but I do know what has happened to the stocks on the 3 lines you are referring too this year: NCL is doing the best and Oceania is becoming an extremely popular upscale line. So don't knock, what you having tried. If you had tried it and were not satisfied that is a different story.

The Trump answer, just look at the stock market, all is well. Wrong. NCL will lose business as a result of said planned fiasco. We already replaced 35 days of cruises with 12, will not be adding any more. There are and will be others.

Do you honestly think NCL is the only one who has run into similar problems. Yes, what happened was inexcusable but they have made it right the best they can. As for losing anything, I don't think NCL is worried about this particularly. I do think it was too bad it took them this long to respond in an acceptable way for everyone. the fact still remains, they cam through. Why the negative post you just made? you were not even on the cruise anymore than I was?

One cannot have a negative opinion on something unless they experienced it? What nonsense.

Well at least they are recognizing people are upset. It should be a refund. But it's better than what we got on the Breakaway New Years cruise

Sorry but the difference is you chose to sail in winter which is notorious for bad weather on the East Coast AND the weather is not under anyone’s control. Refurbishment of the Sun was totally under the control of NCL as far as when/where so there is a big difference between the 2. Besides didn’t all the passengers from your cruise hire 2 lawyers for a class action? The minute they did that they insured NCL will no longer negotiate with passengers on that subject.

Imagine if this was your first NCL cruise. You would never want to do another one.

We were planning to book Pride of America for 2021 for our 10 year anniversary. Combined with their recent shenanigans in Hawaii, we're going to hold off for awhile. Maybe do a cheap 7 day down the road to Harvest Key, if this stuff gets straightened up. I wouldn't consider a 14 day cruise now, increasing the chances of this bait and switch.

Only the passengers on the cruise can really tell us if the FCC for 100% is satisfactory to them, but it looks like the offer that NCL should have made in the first place, and probably would have signaled that they realized it was a bad idea.

But, if they have this planned for other ships going into dry dock soon they don't have any good choices. They can do the construction at sea again. Or, they have to spend more time in dry dock. More time in dry dock means they inconvenience another full ship load of passengers the week following the dry dock with either a shortened cruise or a cancelled one.

The only solution, if they have really learned their lesson, is to scale back the dry dock "Edge" enhancements to meet the new, shortened schedule. Oh, and fire Andy Stuart (which will be done if the CEO needs cover). I suspect there's someone farther down the chain that they can fire if need be.

I don't think this will hurt overall bookings on NCL. Carnival had a floating cesspool that had stories on every major newscast for several days with food being airlifted into the ship, and they still fill their ships.

Only the passengers on the cruise can really tell us if the FCC for 100% is satisfactory to them, but it looks like the offer that NCL should have made in the first place, and probably would have signaled that they realized it was a bad idea....

....I don't think this will hurt overall bookings on NCL. Carnival had a floating cesspool that had stories on every major newscast for several days with food being airlifted into the ship, and they still fill their ships.

I'm sorry but I do not believe it is a fair comparison Carnival Cruise Lines have passenger problems as a result of mechanical failure. Which is not something planned or wanted by Carnival. Yes it resulted in a bad cruise for the passengers.

But in NCL case they had total control they made the choice to start work while taking a full load of passengers. It was not a mechanical break down or emergency. They planned it, hide at least the level of work and or impact of the work on the passengers and then lied about it until they were caught.

I do not believe in the interest of fairness you can draw a comparison here. I also do not think the general public reaction and PR hit be the same.

The passengers on this sailing deserve a full refund, not another cruise. If I was them I wouldn't ever sail with them again - and I certainly won't sail NCL in future myself.

I tend to respectfully disagree on this one. An extremely discounted cruise (Taxes, port charges and gratuities are still charged, I believe) perhaps gets some of these cruisers back. I expect that many of them will have settled down within 5 years and give NCL another try and NCL is smart to try for that.

I would guess that that chosen cruise won't be a cruise near a scheduled dry dock though. I know that I never have and never will sail NCL or any other line on a ship that is nearing dry dock time.

I was supposed to be on the Norway 2 weeks after she blew up and was dicked around by NCL on canceling the cruise for so long that it screwed up a family reunion. Finally got a refund and 50% off coupon for the trouble and thought it was pitiful. But ended up about a year later finding a great deal on the Majesty, booked the cheapest inside, smuggled, and had a great cruise for almost nothing. Brought me back to NCL. Think what could be had for a full cruise credit. With a little planning, you could hook'em hard and have a great time.

Cynically it's a good move by NCL but is it too little too late given the massive negative press they have received. This should have been their action right from the start, not after getting bad publicity.

Also it looks like only a credit, Its should be a cash refund. Many of these people will never want to cruise with NCL again.

Also I would not accept the offer if legal action is being contemplated.

Also curious about penalties for health and safety violations.

I haved cruises on NCL many times but am rethinking based on this event.

Paul

Cynically it's a good move by NCL but is it too little too late given the massive negative press they have received. This should have been their action right from the start, not after getting bad publicity.

Also it looks like only a credit, Its should be a cash refund. Many of these people will never want to cruise with NCL again.

Also I would not accept the offer if legal action is being contemplated.

Also curious about penalties for health and safety violations.

I haved cruises on NCL many times but am rethinking based on this event.

Paul

I agree they should offer a full refund and not a credit. After this fiasco many will be reluctant to even get on NCL again. Make amends to the consumer with a FULL REFUND not future cruise credits!

I'm sorry but I do not believe it is a fair comparison Carnival Cruise Lines have passenger problems as a result of mechanical failure. Which is not something planned or wanted by Carnival. Yes it resulted in a bad cruise for the passengers.

But in NCL case they had total control they made the choice to start work while taking a full load of passengers. It was not a mechanical break down or emergency. They planned it, hide at least the level of work and or impact of the work on the passengers and then lied about it until they were caught.

I do not believe in the interest of fairness you can draw a comparison here. I also do not think the general public reaction and PR hit be the same.

Carnival did that last year on a ship out of Miami. Made the news, carnival offered them compensation, carnival boats still sail filled. Everyone I know that was on the cruise used their credit to book again.

It seems it's common for cruise lines to start construction before dry dock. And consumers are more forgetful then you'd think, at the very least they're forgetful if their other options cost more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Carnival did that last year on a ship out of Miami. Made the news, carnival offered them compensation, carnival boats still sail filled. Everyone I know that was on the cruise used their credit to book again.

It seems it's common for cruise lines to start construction before dry dock. And consumers are more forgetful then you'd think, at the very least they're forgetful if their other options cost more.

I didn't hear about that. What ship was that on?

The Trump answer, just look at the stock market, all is well. Wrong. NCL will lose business as a result of said planned fiasco. We already replaced 35 days of cruises with 12, will not be adding any more. There are and will be others.
You are correct, they will lose some customers, but they will also gain customers. Like all things, issues are forgotten in time and many seeing the 100% offer will think NCL did the right thing and want to cruise with them.

With regard to the stock market, businesses rely on that to entice stock purchasers, show the world how they are doing and satisfying their share holders. I don't know anyone in the upper echelons of a corporation who doesn't live and die by what their stock price is. To many of us, the stock prices don't really have anything to do with our choices, but it does for companies and share holder.

Hope you find another cruise line that meets all your expectations.

and you don't think this will die down in the next 6 months or so. Will it hurt business in the near future? Maybe but like anything people forget. Understand which seems to be hard for some of you, I am not saying how this was handled was right or even totally acceptable. I am saying we need to understand the travel and hospitality industry. Let's just say, as others have, let this be a lesson to NCL and other lines. Think things through. BTW,this has nothing to do with you truly political statement. We are not talking politics here. End of story!!!!!

How many people did you know from that cruise?

Carnival is working harder than ever to round up business, with daily offers and calls if you dare log in. As long as we have an expanding economy and cruising base, these budget lines can get away with a certain amount of shenanigan, where the # pf newbies match the discontented loyalists, they can ride this wave. Not sure if it's a wise long term strategy, however.