NCL Makes New Offer for Sun Passengers!!!

MizDemeanor

How many times have you sailed NCL? As for the example of the couple who put their docs in the luggage, it was a very sad situation but in absolutely no way was NCL to blame for that They did what they had to do on that one. I have no idea who is paid what but I do know what has happened to the stocks on the 3 lines you are referring too this year: NCL is doing the best and Oceania is becoming an extremely popular upscale line. So don't knock, what you having tried. If you had tried it and were not satisfied that is a different story.

I guess someone at NCL forgot to send "the memo" to you and the other apologists. As to your question, in sailing NCL over the passed 5 years, I am now Platinum Plus. From your posted cruise history, you haven't set foot on a ship in 3 years. On the original offer, you posted that it was very generous. Any reasonable person, not blinded loyalty, would have come to a completely different conclusion. On the other issue, it doesn't matter that the incident with the couple & docs wasn't NCL's fault. Like any other company or important person, NCL needs to get out in front of bad PR.

How many people did you know from that cruise?

Carnival is working harder than ever to round up business, with daily offers and calls if you dare log in. As long as we have an expanding economy and cruising base, these budget lines can get away with a certain amount of shenanigan, where the # pf newbies match the discontented loyalists, they can ride this wave. Not sure if it's a wise long term strategy, however.

A fair bit. It was a group cruise of around 200. I don't know all of them, but between groups I'm in and friends of my friends it was a decent amount and they most of them used it for another cruise with the group.

Never said it was smart, but for people who like cruises it'd take a lot to turn em away and the credit will just make them book another. Two of my friends are paying under 200 each for their follow up cruise thanks to the credit. Personally, you'd have to do really bad for me to not then book a week cruise for $200 with the credit. And the cruise lines know this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cynically it's a good move by NCL but is it too little too late given the massive negative press they have received. This should have been their action right from the start, not after getting bad publicity.

Also it looks like only a credit, Its should be a cash refund. Many of these people will never want to cruise with NCL again.

Also I would not accept the offer if legal action is being contemplated.

Also curious about penalties for health and safety violations.

I haved cruises on NCL many times but am rethinking based on this event.

Paul

But it makes more sense for NCL to offer a credit and not a refund. Why would they try to please someone who has no intent of ever spending more money with them?

My opinion:

I am glad to see that:

1. NCL has accepted responsibility

2. That the compensation they are now offering is more generous and appropriate

Why?

NCL WAS responsible for this situation (unlike 2 other instances mentioned which were largely due to weather (Breakaway incident) or passenger error (tickets in luggage))

100% compensation is appropriate for a bad situation that was wholly caused by and within NCL's control

What influenced them to do the "right thing" (bad PR, potential lost business, a sudden attack of common sense after the realization that a REALLY bad customer-alienating business decision had been made and needed to be "fixed") who knows? But the result is good for the affected passengers. I know in their position I would be satisfied.

A costly error for NCL, however, they admitted their mistake and extended the olive branch and did the right thing by giving the passengers a 100 percent credit. If the Panama Canal is still your destination, I think the Bliss (newer ship) offers a PC cruise. If PC is not on your list again, then try one of their newer ships not ready for dry dock.

Do you honestly think NCL is the only one who has run into similar problems. Yes, what happened was inexcusable but they have made it right the best they can. As for losing anything, I don't think NCL is worried about this particularly. I do think it was too bad it took them this long to respond in an acceptable way for everyone. the fact still remains, they cam through. Why the negative post you just made? you were not even on the cruise anymore than I was?

Bravo , I agree.

Now I wish I had booked this cruise.

Me too! I would have still got off and enjoyed my days in all the ports. I’m guessing they would have had lovely, warm weather, I would have been fed, found a bar, been entertained, probably still have gone to Dazzles to dance the night away or hung out in Windjammer and have got my money back to put towards another cruise- there is always another cruise I want to do. I wonder if the Sports Bar was closed. I might have had to find another end of night venue for last drinks and hot wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't hear about that. What ship was that on?

Carnival Glory. Was very close to booking that post-dry dock week last year but luckily chose Getaway instead. Price was better and overall experience far exceeded my expectations. Loved our earlier Carnival Cruises but so happy we decided to give NCL a try. I feel for anyone who gets stuck on a construction cruise. Not the dream vacation we save and plan for.

Me too! I would have still got off and enjoyed my days in all the ports. I’m guessing they would have had lovely, warm weather, I would have been fed, found a bar, been entertained, probably still have gone to Dazzles to dance the night away or hung out in Windjammer and have got my money back to put towards another cruise- there is always another cruise I want to do. I wonder if the Sports Bar was closed. I might have had to find another end of night venue for last drinks and hot wings.

I tend to agree. The decision made to do the extensive repairs during a full price cruise is unacceptable in my opinion and reflects badly on those who made it. In the end, I would have made the best of it. I personally would not have been on the ship while in port. I would have been disappointed (perhaps even angry) with the limitations on board due to construction I was not aware of when booking. I would not accept the original offer, the second is fair in my opinion.

I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise with NCL and look forward to my next. I have learned that there is another "thing" to research before handing over my credit card. Glad in this instance I was able to learn from someone else's experience...

I tend to agree. The decision made to do the extensive repairs during a full price cruise is unacceptable in my opinion and reflects badly on those who made it. In the end, I would have made the best of it. I personally would not have been on the ship while in port. I would have been disappointed (perhaps even angry) with the limitations on board due to construction I was not aware of when booking. I would not accept the original offer, the second is fair in my opinion.

I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise with NCL and look forward to my next. I have learned that there is another "thing" to research before handing over my credit card. Glad in this instance I was able to learn from someone else's experience...

I am with you. I am glad I wasn't on the cruise. I am sure many guests were disappointed and NCL should have done a better job of planning, but there is no indication all 2200 guests were totally upset and felt they needed to vent over and over again. I would have enjoyed what I could of the cruise, gotten off in all the great ports and made the best of it. We did learn years ago not to book just prior to or just after dry dock. but the time we did, we lived through the problems while listening to others carry on and on.

I am with you. I am glad I wasn't on the cruise. I am sure many guests were disappointed and NCL should have done a better job of planning, but there is no indication all 2200 guests were totally upset and felt they needed to vent over and over again. I would have enjoyed what I could of the cruise, gotten off in all the great ports and made the best of it. We did learn years ago not to book just prior to or just after dry dock. but the time we did, we lived through the problems while listening to others carry on and on.
On their FB page and NCLs, there were some who said that they did enjoy their cruise, even with the disruptions of the constructions. I'm sure you can imagine all the names they were called.

100ish people showed up to the Captains Q&A where rude people would not let the captain speak. That's 4% of the people onboard. We have sailed on cruises right before and right after dry docks. We took these cruises, primarily because they were one-off re-positioning cruises that went to ports that we have not been to. We booked the cruises with the full understanding that the construction work would be going on before and after dry dock (we didn't sit there, playing dumb making victim noises). And, for us, the small inconveniences did not detract from wonderful cruises. Yup,,,, we have pictures of sinks covered in grout, sofas missing cushions, windows without drapes, closets without doors. All part of our cruise memories,,, but nothing to scream about. On our most recent post-dry dock cruise, our cabin steward told us that he was part of a tile and grout team that finished at midnight the night before we embarked, as the ship was being moved from the shipyard to Southampton.

I saw the news last night and I am disgusted!!!

I love NCL last few cruises and Alaska this July booked.

However granted I saw the story on news haven’t read they threads but

NCL shame on YOU!

Full refund and free future cruise!!

Hello.

Unless passengers knew about all the construction pre cruise?

Did Ncl notify passengers about all the work ? And when?

Thanks

Kerri

100ish people showed up to the Captains Q&A where rude people would not let the captain speak. That's 4% of the people onboard. We have sailed on cruises right before and right after dry docks. We took these cruises, primarily because they were one-off re-positioning cruises that went to ports that we have not been to. We booked the cruises with the full understanding that the construction work would be going on before and after dry dock (we didn't sit there, playing dumb making victim noises). And, for us, the small inconveniences did not detract from wonderful cruises. Yup,,,, we have pictures of sinks covered in grout, sofas missing cushions, windows without drapes, closets without doors. All part of our cruise memories,,, but nothing to scream about. On our most recent post-dry dock cruise, our cabin steward told us that he was part of a tile and grout team that finished at midnight the night before we embarked, as the ship was being moved from the shipyard to Southampton.

How does NCL communicate when there will be construction on a cruise?

Why subject yourself to that?

Lots of Repo cruises don't bump up against drydock.

[quote name=

Recently' date=' something similar happened when a couple put their docs in checked luggage. After the story broke, NCL stood it's ground. Then the PR got even worse. So what does NCL do? They not only gave the couple a refund but also a free cruise. Simply giving a free cruise after the first article could have snuffed out the damage and NCL could have kept the refund money. Why is Del Rio paid more than the CEO of Carnival and RCL? Stupid Board

It appears that they do not give you that information. :(

I had two recent experiences on the Pearl. One was when the Spinnaker was being remodeled DURING the cruise. Wasn't a "showstopper" in my mind but it certainly would have been nice to use it. I believe the remodel had started on the cruise before. The Spinnaker reopened during the last couple days of our cruise but didn't have the full complement of chairs. The second experience, about a month later, was that about 1/2 of the ship was booked by a group called "Grown and Sexy". If I had known (since while I'm grown I'm definitely not sexy), I might have chosen a different sailing. Turned out, I would take the exact same cruise again. While the large group had plenty of special events that us non-Grown and Sexy people weren't invited to, the rest of the ship was quite uncrowded and pleasant. I met lots of nice people, it worked out well.

I guess my point is that when something significant on the ship (like a "moving dry dock" or 1/2 the ship being filled with a special interest group) is happening it ought to communicated honestly to perspective passengers as we book. Then, with that information, the perspective cruiser could decide whether to take a chance or not. In the second case with the large group, I repeatedly asked NCL reps (on the 800 line) about the group (which I found out about in the Roll Call for that cruise) and the employees always claimed to know nothing. My experience is that NCL employees will tell me very little about ship operations.

Generally good communication helps. It does often seem lacking with NCL.