Reception of Americans in Europe?

Owlivia

I wouldn’t overthink it. Most Europeans can spot an American from a mile away. It’s not only dress but body language. There was a study done and all things equal, the Europeans can easily differentiate between Asian-Americans and those from Asia just by the way they carry themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Spot on. I learned this ages ago in the Caribbean when meeting some European vacationers. "It's the way you walk and carry yourselves"

And as to reception of Yanks in Europe I had a great conversation with a very elderly Italian in Naples who spoke no English yet gave me excellent directions to the correct bus stop a couple blocks away. I only speak a few words yet we enjoyed the exchange. Best of all we found our bus.

And in France in Alsace I tried to stay at a B&B that was full. Again an elderly gentleman was there but spoke no English. Fortunately he did speak German this being Alsace, so my Restaurant German got us directions to a nice alternative B&B just a couple miles away.

Well, I have to vote in the negative/bad category for Paris. Was there last October and stayed for 4 days. DW and I swore we would avoid Paris at all costs in the future. I was even threatened with arrest for trying to carry a camera at the Arch de Triumph. No way I would ever consider going back. I talked about it with a friend upon my return and his mother is from Strabourg. When she flies home she avoids flying into CDG or coming even close to Paris. Now, our overall impression of the people we met along the Rhine river during Christmas Markets and the people along the Seine (other than Paris) was great. I would go back in a heartbeat.

To join in the hat conversation, I am another folliclely (sp?) challenged man who wears a hat to protect against sun exposure. Have a few skin cancers cut out and you will see the reason for a hat and quite frankly, don't care what other people think.

A pith helmet may confuse the locals.:)

My computer screen needs cleaning.

I was TOTALLY favorably amused by this.

Hats are needed for medical reasons; preferred (or indeed not) for religious reasons, but people should be aware that they are often making a statement whether or not they intend to make it.

Well, I have to vote in the negative/bad category for Paris. Was there last October and stayed for 4 days. DW and I swore we would avoid Paris at all costs in the future. I was even threatened with arrest for trying to carry a camera at the Arch de Triumph. No way I would ever consider going back. I talked about it with a friend upon my return and his mother is from Strabourg. When she flies home she avoids flying into CDG or coming even close to Paris. Now, our overall impression of the people we met along the Rhine river during Christmas Markets and the people along the Seine (other than Paris) was great. I would go back in a heartbeat.

To join in the hat conversation, I am another folliclely (sp?) challenged man who wears a hat to protect against sun exposure. Have a few skin cancers cut out and you will see the reason for a hat and quite frankly, don't care what other people think.

I was apprehensive about our reception as Americans before our visit to Paris in September 2016. I have to say we had the opposite experience to yours. We found Parisians to be, for the most part, very friendly and at worst reserved. Although hardly fluent in French, we did offer greetings in French which seemed to break the ice. We absolutely loved Paris and can't wait to go back.

Such a shame that people have had bad experiences but I don't think that should sour you on the people in general. Just like not all American's are the "ugly American" when traveling and we all shouldn't be judged on that. You miss so much when you lump everyone into one big ugly pile.

I'm from the NYC area, so maybe I just haven't noticed the snubs? I try to say 'Bonjour' on entering [which works likes 'open sesame' in the Arabian Nights]. And we are always treated at least as well as we would be in NY, so I considered Paris quite friendly! [Now, those 'salesgirls' in tony NY department stores – that's snooty! You're making minimum wage and can't 'deign' to help me? Fuhgeddaboudit! :evilsmile:]

There is a wonderful phrase in Victorian literature that deals with entering any unfamiliar or new situation. Enter the situation ready to please and be pleased. It evokes an attitude that will resonate positively with almost everyone.

I was in Bordeaux a year or so ago attending a billiard tournament and outside the venue there was a food truck that had, among it's offerings the quintessential American dish, hamburgers. The first day I ordered one (thank goodness the young lady had some English, because I don't have any French). It was one of the most delicious hamburgers I ever had and I told the young lady and added, 'I wish I could get burgers this good in America'. I could see her swell up with pride. A sincere compliment about an aspect of their culture goes a long way to securing good experiences, in my experience.

My computer screen needs cleaning.

I was TOTALLY favorably amused by this.

Hats are needed for medical reasons; preferred (or indeed not) for religious reasons, but people should be aware that they are often making a statement whether or not they intend to make it.

What does that even mean? What kind of statement does it make to where a hat? At times, I wear a particular hat to make a statement (my Oregon Ducks hat when I know I’ll be around Huskies or my Make America Great Again hat, which IS a statement by itself), but just a regular hat-especially on vacation-does not make a negative statement.

My husband with a group of work colleagues were in Chicago on business some years ago. His boss at the time always wore a bowler hat when in the states, they were passing a fairly well known bar when he (the boss) was grabbed and pulled inside to be interviewed by a prominent radio presenter. All went quite well, but I’m afraid as the boss was being a bit of a character no one really appreciated his humour. Still he enjoyed the experience.

My husband often wears a baseball cap and has an extensive collection, he is also follicaly challenged. He also has a pith helmet (I won’t be seen with him if he wears it) I also bought him a Stetson in San Antonio now I’ll be seen with him wearing that any day, gotta love Texas. Wear whatever hat suits it really doesn’t matter if your American or not it’s your or anyone’s attitude and we have found the French much easier to get on with the further south you go. Towards the channel coast as well. Mind you don’t know how long that will last there could be a new thread soon about the Europeans and the Brits, watch this space! CA

What does that even mean? What kind of statement does it make to wear a hat?

I don't think that it's anything personal. But something that you and I consider totally innocuous may be perceived differently, possibly negatively, by someone who has a totally different cultural perspective. That you wear a hat doesn't make a statement to me...but it may to someone else.

Different societies have different rules of etiquette, and this does extend to how we dress. You probably can't learn them all, and (speaking to the Americans on this thread), none of us can change the fact that we are American, and we act American. But we can understand that non-Americans do things differently than we do, and will look at how we do things through the lens of their expectations and their societal norms. Much of Europe has a less casual approach to dress than we do. Thus the earlier comment that a newsboy's hat might be "nicer" than a baseball cap.

For example. We once stayed at a lovely small hotel in Rome (more like a B&B) and the proprietor was a super nice, very approachable guy. On the last morning, while we were eating breakfast, I saw him tending to some of the plantings in the atrium, and I walked over to ask him about the checkout process. He was wearing shorts and a T-shirt, which was no different than many of us would wear out and about on vacation. But he was so mortified that I (a guest) had seen him in such an "unpresentable" state that he could barely speak. In his flustered state, he managed to tell me that his assistant would come take care of the formalities because he was in no condition to do so.

The hotel is the Moses Fountain Hotel. Highly recommended. Beautiful rooms. :D And it's just a short walk from Termini.

Different societies have different rules of etiquette, and this does extend to how we dress. .

However, it's not a one way street where one party does all the 'understanding of cultural differences' while the other is presumed to be made of porcelain and cannot possibly be expected to reciprocate.

However, it's not a one way street where one party does all the 'understanding of cultural differences' while the other is presumed to be made of porcelain and cannot possibly be expected to reciprocate.

Personally, I consider that it is a one way street.

A visitor to another country should abide by the customs of that country.

In some, non European, countries not to do so can have dire consequences.

I'll give you that....in the distant past, some 55 plus years ago, I've traveled at ground level, down & dirty, through countries/areas where it is currently inadvisable/unsafe to visit........but, on this site I'm making the presumption that people are going to more frequently visited countries that are more accustomed to, and often dependent on, tourists.

Politeness is one thing, perpetual fear of being somehow 'offensive' is another.

Not long ago, at a local mall, I saw a woman in a chador....perhaps I should have expressed my opinion?

I consider myself a guest in their country and try to act accordingly.

Aside from my Tilley hat which I wear for sun reasons being a follicly challenged redhead, I have worn a T-shirt and a cap with my home football team on it but only onboard before dinner. Had fellow guests making signs warding off the devil upon encountering me.

We are about to embark on a Seine cruise. I have been dying to speak my badly accented french for many years, and I can understand well. We had planned to wear jeans to all of our day time excursions. My husband has a shaved head and has a lot of skin cancer, so always wears a baseball hat outdoors. I purposely bought him a quiet one, blue with a Polo logo on it, to replace his usual Gators. Are we sloppy Americans?

My travel hat of choice is a Tilley. https://www.tilley.com While it's not dressy it looks nice and it does a great job keep the sun at bay.

Paul

I think there has to be some happy medium between being the stereotypical Ugly American and bending oneself into a pretzel to conform to the norms of the many countries one may visit.

Europe Is not homogeneous. Each country has its own culture and I don’t think most people in those countries expect visitors to be just like them. We may be guests in their country, but that makes them hosts, and hosts have a certain obligation to be gracious as well.

I try to take the middle line. I’m polite. I learn good day/morning/evening, please and thank you in the language of the countries we will visit. I also try to learn, do you speak English. I try to embrace their culture without necessarily losing my own. I do try to understand key points of the local culture and I try to be a bit more reserved than I might be at home, but I’m not walking on eggshells.

I look at the clothes I’m bringing, and try to edit so I’m not glowing like a neon sign flashing Tourist! I’m American, and while I’m not running around with a flag, I’m not trying to hide it. It’s kind of hard to blend in anyway when you are carrying a camera and following a guide with a sign. I think there is a difference if you are traveling Europe on your own or with a group.

I smile. It’s me. It’s who I am. It comes from the heart, and it’s sincere. I think no matter what the customs of the country, people can recognize sincerity, and it is taken in kind. Maybe I’m wrong but I always seem to get a sincere smile back. We don’t tend to travel to countries with cultures that are really so different from ours. If that day comes, I’ll rethink it, but at my age I don’t see that working too well. It’s in my DNA.

This is what I’ve done before and I’ve never felt snubbed or looked down on because I’m American.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is indeed possible to find people who give you a hard time because you are from the US, but IME much less xenophobia than in the US. Parisians, like big cities anywhere in the world, tend to be less forgiving that people from the country side but I have OFTEN encountered very helpful people even in Paris.

If one insists on being the American who knows it all and thinks that any and everyone can understand English if I shout it loud then you will encounter rudeness in return. Many years ago (perhaps when as very naive college student when I arrived in Paris in the middle of the 1968 student riots to oust de Gaule and didn’t understand anything of the background) I was told that words of primary importance rather than being Merci and S.V. P. are “bon jour”. When you enter any establishment you should acknowledge people there; to not do that is considered rude and things rapidly go south from there.

French is a very precisely structured language (unlike English that can be put together any numbers of ways). Many French are so worried about not getting English correctly structured they are scared to talk. My philosophy is to talk in my very poor French and they are comforted knowing that their English couldn’t possibly be that bad and we stumble along from there.

Relax, smile a lot, look flustered if necessary and give polite non- argumentative answers. In Argentina in early 1983 I was asked what I thought about the Malvinas [Falklands] - perhaps not my complete opinion but I honestly said it was terrible for both sides. That was an accurate polite answer that allowed all of us to go on to the next question.

I was last in France June 2017 and in Nice had ordered an omelet at a sidewalk cafe. Rather to my surprise a bottle of ketchup appeared on the table. I smiled and asked the waiter if everyone got ketchup or just the Americans. He in turn smiled and said just the Americans - I also have Tabasco, would you also like that and out came a 12 oz (large) bottle of genuine Tabasco.

Lots of wonderful caring people around to world mixed in with a few others. Deflect the nasties and enjoy the rest.

Thom

I love the ketchup story. Many years ago we were at a B&B in rural England and at breakfast, the host kept bringing us toast -- slice after slice. He beamed and said "I know you Americans love toast!"

The first time I went to Europe was with a group of 6-7 other Americans -- we traveled around England and Wales. On about day 3 we were in a museum/abbey and I was separated from the group by some disance. I had such an a-ha moment as I listened to my group talk, laugh, chatter from some disance away: Americans are loud!

Later, my husband and I traveled alone. We were in a restaurant in a small town and I was in the rest room. A lady and I laughed as we tried to negotiate the tiny rest room and she said "so, how does this part of England compare to America? I laughed and said "how did you know I'm American?" She said "good question" and thought for a moment. She said I walked across the room with confidence; I had beautiful teeth; I smiled really big; and wore nice clothes [and my clothes were nothing special].

So, I think even when we try to blend in, we look American.

Okay I’ve been thinking about all of this, I don’t want to upset anyone so think about it, here goes.

In the USA apart from the 1st nations peoples the Asians and the South Americans the vast majority of the people’s who admit to being ‘Americans’ are descended from Europeans so in reality you are all like us but dare I say it more so. Your are a delicious mixture of so many cultures that have evolved over a very short period compared with us Europeans, we’ve had hundreds of years to absorb all these cultures.

Just an idea but I promise not to treat you all as teenagers. CA

P.S. many years ago just before my first foray stateside and elderly friend told me, ‘Americans are great in their own country it’s a shame they don’t travel well’ personally I have found the first part very true but the second part very rarely so.