Reception of Americans in Europe?

Owlivia

Yes, smiling too much and in the wrong situations will definitely mark you as an American. In many cultures, it will appear that you are laughing at them or consider them "funny" (not in a good way)... Of course, this all refers to meeting strangers. Once you become friends, smile away.

We lived in Greece from 1997 to 2000 and the caution against smiling too much was one of the first given in my Intro to Greek language class. One of the first comments my entering 9th grader made upon return to the US was 'everyone says hello when I walk the dog! Whats up with that?" He had lived overseas in Belgium and Greece since the middle of second grade and couldn't get over the friendliness of the Americans he met while walking the dog.

I note (too late, perhaps) that on the Viking River cruises there are exclusively tables for 6; none for 2-somes. I'm a strong introvert and I hate acrimony -- is this going to end up being an Endurance Trial for me? 15 days of people who want to talk/argue endlessly? Egads. Starting to hate the idea of going.

If you want a quieter spot, you can eat in the Aquavit Lounge. They have a simpler menu, and at the most 15 people showed up on our cruise. Plenty of room to spread out, and the best view on the ship.

Actually, this does bring up another issue. We've done Ocean cruises before - but that was apres le deluge of political inflammation (to mix my metaphors).

I note (too late, perhaps) that on the Viking River cruises there are exclusively tables for 6; none for 2-somes. I'm a strong introvert and I hate acrimony -- is this going to end up being an Endurance Trial for me? 15 days of people who want to talk/argue endlessly? Egads. Starting to hate the idea of going.

One of the nice things about river cruising (although I haven't been on an ocean one either), is you can sit with different people every time you sit to eat....if you don't like the previous meal's companions, you move to another table for the next meal.

My standard answer to questions about American politics is "it certainly has been interesting lately!" and then I change the subject. So far, that has worked really well.

I know I stand out as an American, so I do my best to be polite. I do my best to not be the loudest person in the room. I don't walk around in jeans and slouchy t-shirts. I am not the American yelling their order at the waiter who does not speak much English. Accept that you are the guest in a different country, and that they will do things differently, and you'll be fine.

Even though i may fail the dress code test occasionally touring with jeans and once an American football team shirt, we have never been treated anything but nicely by Europeans we've encountered. Politeness and respect is key along with a subdued not loud manner. I do dress up well for dinner, etc. and certainly respect church dress codes.

It's their country and they have a right to be curious about American politics, but I avoid any political discussions by changing the subject or not responding in kind as it is likely many Europeans will not share my political views. Never had a problem there as a result.

We've been to Europe recently as we were in France last fall including Paris and earlier in 2017 were all across Northern Europe.

I live in Germany for work, and I've never had a bad experience being an American. You do have to get used to brusk service, however I've found that if you ask a German for help, they will bend over backwards to try and help. They just won't smile or chat while taking your order.

I do get gently teased about american politics, but its calmed down a lot in the last year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Don’t smile too much seriously? Facial expression is a common language. I never heard anyone complain about smiling.

It really isn't as universal as you might think, it can be considered as insincere or fake to smile upon first meeting for example in some cultures.

To the original question, no, don't expect to be 'drilled' on politics etc. and don't expect that any recent political events in the USA have changed anything on that front, it would not be correct to believe that there was any greater or lesser respect for any previous politicians, or for that matter that the average person you meet really cares that much about US politics.

Doesn't mean you won't come arccos the occasional individual with a great or just more irritating interest in the subject, but it is really no worse than the questions and misunderstandings that Europeans encounter when traveling in the USA.

We have traveled to the USA many times and loved each trip. We have river cruised for some years now, admitadly only with Scenic we’ve yet to tire of their product. We have not had the pleasure of sharing our cruise with many Americans but two last year were to say the least interesting. Four of us Brits were sat for dinner at a table for 6 when a couple of Americans asked if they could join us to which we readily agreed. The opening remarks of one of the couple was, (now consider this) - he said I will introduce us ‘my name ———— and this is my husband ————- and I would like to say we did not vote for Mr Trump. Now I think that beats any conversation opener I have ever heard. We gamely carried on and had a fairly pleasant evening, they were interesting guys. Mind you I’ve dined out on that a few times. Just remember you don’t have to sit with someone you find not to your liking and enjoy your cruise. CA

Actually, this does bring up another issue. We've done Ocean cruises before - but that was apres le deluge of political inflammation (to mix my metaphors).

We have never been very extroverted in most social situations, but are able to get along with just about anyone we wind up talking to on a trip. On an ocean cruise, our preference by far is a table for 2 using the "my time dining" option. That works well for us. On the riverboat, we wound up eating with lots of different people and, as has been correctly stated, it is a well traveled and educated group. So much of the conversation was interesting. There is always someone very willing to talk more to make up for what is not contributed by those at the table who are more quiet!

What does put me off during just about any cruise, though, is when the conversation becomes usurped by people very unsubtly wanting everyone else at the table to know how many cruises they've taken and where all they've been. It happens on land tours as well but seems to be more of a cruising thing.

Also, certainly by the time we got a bit over half way through the river cruise, we were really getting tired of circulating around the dining room tables and so mostly wound up eating with a very nice couple who also enjoyed the same dining time we did. We got to know each other and felt very comfortable. And, my memory sure isn't getting any better as I get older, so I'd quickly forget the names of people that we ate with only the previous few nights ago...putting me at a disadvantage if I wound up eating with them again.

I wouldn't worry about it. The socializing aspect of a cruise is probably the least important thing to me. Smiling and nodding goes a long way around the dining room tables anyway.

Edited by three4rd

We did the Grand European in May 2017 and I was curious about locals and their views about American politics. The guides on the tours were very careful to not discuss it. My husband and I hired a private guide for several hours in Budapest (photography related); he was young-ish. I asked what HE thought about American politics and Trump. He said "not much -- we have our own crazy politicians to worry about."

I never once felt any hostility because we are from the US. We explored a lot on our own; we try to fit in but our guide said "ohhh, we know you are American!" When I asked how, he said because I smile at strangers. He suggested I not do that (we werent in the best neighborhoods).

We’ve had several trips to Europe and it has never been a problem. Try to speak a little of the language and you will get a friendly reception. Very few people will want to talk politics (while many will follow their own politics, few have the time/interest to follow another country’s). The only place I’ve received a rude reception (and it’s happened many times) is in Canada. I think a whole lot of that country has a massive inferiority complex about the US.

We did the Grand European in May 2017 and I was curious about locals and their views about American politics. The guides on the tours were very careful to not discuss it. My husband and I hired a private guide for several hours in Budapest (photography related); he was young-ish. I asked what HE thought about American politics and Trump. He said "not much -- we have our own crazy politicians to worry about." ��

I never once felt any hostility because we are from the US. We explored a lot on our own; we try to fit in but our guide said "ohhh, we know you are American!" When I asked how, he said because I smile at strangers. He suggested I not do that (we werent in the best neighborhoods).

Reminds me of my tour of the Parliament building in Budapest, and as an aside, it's a great tour, all should do it when in Budapest. Our guide told us that Hungary had a bicameral legislature when the building was built, but now has a unicameral legislature and his quote was, "We use half the building but the politicians are still twice as crooked". Most places it would be a case of the pot calling the kettle black to criticize the others politicians!!

In the course of many trips all over Europe, we have found:

1.) Europeans are well versed in politics and are very interested in US political scene. They do discuss everything politely and with curiosity, and we've never been put on the spot. On the other hand, we are very interested in the European view of things, which is most often well informed and thoughtful. If you don't want to discuss politics, just demur: "I'm taking a vacation from all that..." or "I'm sorry, I'm Canadian..."

2.) Clothing: we try to dress in "business casual-continental style." Sleek styles, including footwear, neck scarves, wrinkle free garments so we always look "neat and pressed." Nothing flashy, nothing draws attention. Leave the big jewelry home. Blend in. Can go anywhere in our travel clothes.

3.) Language: spouse speaks "very good unaccented French,"(according to native speakers,) after only a semester in college. We've both taken years of Spanish and a German class. So we know basic words/phrases such as "Excuse moi-parlais vous Anglais?:(Excuse me, do you speak English?) Bon jour, bon soir, oui la ???? Merci...

Similar phrases in German and Spanish... takes us pretty much where ever without any problems. The further north you go in Europe, the better the locals speak English, impeccable English in many cases. Be polite and patient...and dismiss any perceived rudeness since everyone has their own issues and bad days...it's probably not you!

We are about to embark on a Seine cruise. I have been dying to speak my badly accented french for many years, and I can understand well. We had planned to wear jeans to all of our day time excursions. My husband has a shaved head and has a lot of skin cancer, so always wears a baseball hat outdoors. I purposely bought him a quiet one, blue with a Polo logo on it, to replace his usual Gators. Are we sloppy Americans?

I have done a Mediterranean cruise and several land trips to various EU countries as well as the U.K. and have never encountered rudeness from locals. That said, when traveling to countries where English is not the primary language, I took the time and care to learn some helpful phrases in the native languages of the countries I’d be visiting, and in the case of our two trips to France, I brushed up my vocabulary and grammar from my years of “school French” from decades long past using the DuoLingo app. The vast majority of the service-industry people we spoke to as a part of our daily tourist activities spoke excellent English and after my often-poor attempts at the local language I’d be rescued posthaste, with a very polite word of praise at my sincere go of it. There were some exceptions when we visited restaurants and shops in the vicinity of our Paris AirBnB (which I purposefully chose for its location a bit outside the usual tourist centers, out in the 10th arrondissement) and some employees were less comfortable with English but we got by on my elementary French, pantomime, and the use of a phone app. In one restaurant, one of the chefs found out he was serving two “Americains” and came out to practice his English with us and had us peruse the menu in English that he was devising for tourists like ourselves that were beginning to appear more often in his establishment.

I also noticed many advertisement posters on the Metro for a school for learning English for the service industry. They outlined that the most lucrative service jobs were bilingual jobs and passable English could make one a good income. Some Parisiens, at least, seem to understand that tourism is a necessary evil and that not all visitors are going to make the effort to fit in by learning a modicum of French.

... My husband has a shaved head and has a lot of skin cancer, so always wears a baseball hat outdoors. I purposely bought him a quiet one, blue with a Polo logo on it, to replace his usual Gators. Are we sloppy Americans?
I'd rate the Polo baseball hat as acceptable, but a snappy fedora might be more upscale. I wish you all well on the health side.

Certainly in Brooklyn, but everywhere? ;)

Jazz: I am NOT the fashion icon (I’m goretex and waterproof hiking boots). I was merely thinking that baseball caps might not be the epitome of European fashion, so I was searching for something somewhat less USA and somewhat more upscale. I’ll leave this to the fashionistas :) to suggest appropriate head coverings. (I wear a rather ratty rain / sun hat that keeps my head dry and my face / neck relatively free from sun, but I don’t recall the last time I was complimented on my fashion style 😳

.~~~~~~~~~

Damn I love this board with its gentle but to to point look at what is appropriate to river cruises.

I’m not sure where notamermaid got the idea that a ball cap makes you a trashy American or a cowboy. I’ve worn a hat all over Europe (everywhere we’ve gone) without a problem and seen many others do the same (locals and not). Of course, I take it off going into religious buildings, but that’s about it (and cruise ship formal nights when those existed). I literally live in a hat outside of work and collect them wherever we go (including dozens from Hard Rock Cafes all over the world).

lawduck,

in no way does it make you trashy, I did not mean that. And I only meant baseball hats. Sorry about any confusion, it is just an image or expectation that you can fill to confirm it or totally dispel. Dispel you are much more likely to do and very quickly very often. Blame television and group tourers that do "Europe in 14 days" on it perhaps. Denim jeans in Europe are worn by people of almost all ages and can look quite worn out, usually with the young, you know the style. Also in Germany people like baseball hats for the shade it gives over the eyes in Summer. Quite popular with some. In the end I think voice and attitude have more of an impact than clothes. By the way, the Hard Rock Cafe in Budapest was so popular with the young and young at heart I could not even get in, there was a queue outside. I did not want to wait, I am not a fan, but it would have been nice to see the inside and what they display there.

As regards language, I have found that the French are more reluctant to speak English than people from other countries I have met, but Paris being cosmopolitan is hardly ever going to pose a problem. Sticking to the ones that are closest to having left school, i.e. between 20 and 30 will be most fluent. That idea did not help me in Bratislava by the way, perhaps I caught a guy who preferred another language at school or is bad at languages anyway. Scandinavians are usually excellent at English. Germans are pretty good as well, again, here I would stick to the ones that look under forty. If the first person cannot help there is a good chance someone else close by can, or the first person may even ask around for help. Most are really friendly and very helpful. Locals can be rushed and stressed in their daily lives everywhere and being stopped by a tourist can be an unwelcome interruption, especially if it happens a lot... But we probably all know this from our own turfs. :D

notamermaid

About the hat fashion, actually, I have just thought that I have seen men in the last few years, and a colleague of mine has one, wear the type that is leather and dark brown and looks as if that it has been handstitched together. I always find it looks a bit odd in towns, sort of as if you have just come in from shooting wild boar in the local forest, but they look nice on some heads, I find.

A fedora would make you stand out certainly in many places, but not in Florence in Italy, stylish place! Could work well in Paris.

notamermaid

Those of us who are severely challenged in the cranial follicle department MUST wear a hat lest our noggins be roasted by the sun. In Europe I wear a plain baseball hat, no logos to call attention to my nationality. Just sayin.............

I wouldn’t overthink it. Most Europeans can spot an American from a mile away. It’s not only dress but body language. There was a study done and all things equal, the Europeans can easily differentiate between Asian-Americans and those from Asia just by the way they carry themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums