Loyalty Perks?

Sue4LSU

My husband and I are retiring this year, YEA!!! and are planning on doing as much traveling as possible! My question is: What perks are offered on various cruise lines ( Viking Ocean, HAL, and Norwegian in particular), for returning customers? We're trying to decide if loyalty matters, or just booking what looks good at the time?

Can't really find much info on websites.

You will get differing opinions. We have been cruising (extensively) for over forty years and never gave a hoot about so-called loyalty benefits. And now that we qualify for lots of benefits on many lines we still don't even think about those benefits when choosing a cruise. We are amazed that some fellow cruisers will book a $20,000 cruise...and choose one particular line because they get a perk like free laundry :). But its true. If we had done all of our cruising on one line, we would have more than 1500 days on that line and usually win the most cruises thingee. But our cruise history is spread among 14 cruise lines (we have a 15th under booking) and we still love the variety in terms of onboard stuff and itineraries that can only happen if one varies their cruise lines and size vessels.

Hank

Sorry for this wrinkle in the thread....

IMO, the only one that really matters is the free internet minutes that Princess gives to Platinum cruisers (5 sailings or 50 days).

Other lines have some form of complimentary internet...or a discount, but not at the 50 day level.

IMO, the only one that really matters is the free internet minutes that Princess gives to Platinum cruisers (5 sailings or 50 days).

Other lines have some form of complimentary internet...or a discount, but not at the 50 day level.

This shows that the important answer to OP can only be determined by them. Each person uses different combinations of the perks they are offered. Thinfool only cares about one perk. Many other cruisers do not even use the free internet if they get it.

You might be interested to know that HAL gives absolutely no free internet minutes. In fact, one must have over 500 days with HAL...before they will even give you a small discount on Internet packages. We soon leave on a Princess cruise where DW and I will get at least 1000 free minutes....which, as you say, is a very nice perk.

Hank

I've never booked a $20,000 cruise. Our most expensive ones have come in around an eighth of that price. So the ability to get free laundry and internet sometimes figures into the equation as to which cruise to choose between two similar itineraries. Princess has won more of our business because we've found its ships to be a comfortable fit for us. The perks are nice. HAL is second place, and we still look at Celebrity (but haven't sailed lately on it). We're a long way from getting to a meaningful level on HAL but that doesn't keep us from sailing on its ships if we find a good price on an itinerary we like.

Cunard gives 2 hours of free internet time beginning with the third cruise. Enough for a week if you're frugal.

Hi

You have to consider the fact that one way or another all "perks" have a monetary value. So you do need to consider that if you sail with a particular cruise line only because after you have "X" number of days under your belt (or whatever the requirement), you would likely have you paid for the perk, if you haven't been looking for the best value all along.

Most everyone would agree, that you shouldn't be selecting a cruise line because of the perks offered. Look for a cruise line that offers what you want at the price you are willing to pay. Once you find what you like, if you stick with them, you will eventually start receiving those perks. Don't stick with them because of the perks. If a cruise line isn't offering an atmosphere or amenities you are enjoying, try a different cruise line, there is something for everyone.

hope this helps

If you want to travel as much as possible (and I am guessing you mean many places in that) then wondering about loyalty maybe isn't the best way to go.

Sure, there are quite a few lines now that are really widespread around the globe but we have almost never repeated ports because we have gone with the ports and not the line...naturally that means we have done 4 lines already and a 5th one to go in our short time cruising.

Do yourself a favor, do not hitch your wagon to one cruise line based on loyalty perks that can and do change anyway. You severely limit your on board options, ships, itineraries, and general experiences. Plus after years on this site I have seen how over-familiarity does breed contempt. The super-loyal with dozens of cruises all on one line can get really worked up over any changes to "their" line, however minor and expect treatment and perks beyond what is reasonable. Get out there and have a wide variety of experiences. It is what we have done and have no regrets.

Perks have little to do with what cruises we plan. I too will be retired in less than 60 days and we intend/hope to do more cruises. With that said, we've mainly been on RCI, happy so far but if the goal is to get to Diamond to get free drinks, it makes no sense to go for a JS at double points to get there faster to get a perk on drinks. DW and I are not interested in any drink packages and if we want a drink, then we will buy one at IMO inflated prices and stick to OV cabins to do more cruises.

I travel a lot for work.

I find that the airline and hotel loyalty programs have value. Upgrades, free stuff, etc. But they are based on a per year loyalty.

The cruise line programs seem to be an attempt to foster loyalty, but without any real substance.