Dinner w/the Captain; need advice

We’re currently aboard Voyager on an Australian cruise and have been - most unexpectedly- invited to dinner with the Captain later this week. This is a first for us. The invitation says “formal dress”. My husband has a navy blazer and grey slacks, white dress shirt and tie, which is in line with how most men have dressed on the 2 formal nights thus far. Is this adequate, or should he try to rent a tux? I do have a dress; however, I have a beautiful dressy top and black pants I’d prefer to wear, if appropriate. What are your ideas? Thanks!!

We’re currently aboard Voyager on an Australian cruise and have been - most unexpectedly- invited to dinner with the Captain later this week. This is a first for us. The invitation says “formal dress”. My husband has a navy blazer and grey slacks, white dress shirt and tie, which is in line with how most men have dressed on the 2 formal nights thus far. Is this adequate, or should he try to rent a tux? I do have a dress; however, I have a beautiful dressy top and black pants I’d prefer to wear, if appropriate. What are your ideas? Thanks!!
Personally I always have a tux in my luggage in case the invite comes.(y)

Dixie, please let us know what all of the men were wearing. ;) :D

One of the times we have attended, we were actually informed by the HD to just dress smart casual. A very relaxed evening without all the formal hullabaloo!

Enjoy!

Never heard of that. Glad you fit in

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rent the tux

If I'm ever fortunate enough to be asked to dine with the captain, though I will have appropriate clothing with me, this is exactly what I will do.

That's wonderful!

You'll both be fine.

We were also invited to the Captain's Dinner...New Year's Eve!...also on the Voyager in Australia.

At first, we thought it was either a joke or a mistake...until the concierge told us "Yes, you have been invited by the Captain".

The Captain's table was in the center of the MDR and it felt like all the other passengers were just looking at the Captain's table. If I'm not mistaken, it was 10 of us and the Captain. We were told not to sit down until the Captain sat down. Everything on the table were special...the plates, spoons, forks, knives,...even the napkins. The Head Waiters were the ones serving the Captain's Table. And of course, the food was incredible. Oh! the Captain signed our special NYE menu and we got to keep it. The ship's photographer also took a picture of our table and we all received a nice 8x10 copy.

We were truly grateful to have been invited and it made our New Year's Eve so much more special and memorable....but to this day, we still wonder how and why we were selected. If someone knows, please kindly tell us. Thank you. :)

Never heard of that. Glad you fit in

Guess the Captain and senior officers wanted a nice informal dining experience, so we just dressed accordingly as instructed. And a great time was had by all.

Now on the other two occasions we wore all the formal clobber and I guess we fitted in better then ;)

We were invited to dine with the Captain on a TA Queen Mary 2 Cruise.

Interesting dinner, 10 guests the Captain and head of hotel services.

Everything was impeccable

Met some interesting people, all seemed to have a reason to be invited.

Can’t think why we were. Maybe being retired Navy caught the eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess the Captain and senior officers wanted a nice informal dining experience, so we just dressed accordingly as instructed. And a great time was had by all.

Now on the other two occasions we wore all the formal clobber and I guess we fitted in better then ;)

Some people enjoy dressing up really Formal, aka the Tux. Some don’t particularly enjoy dressing up on a Vacation Cruise.

It doesn’t bother me if they want to wear a Tux nor should it bother them if we dress smart casual.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some people enjoy dressing up really Formal, aka the Tux. Some don’t particularly enjoy dressing up on a Vacation Cruise.

It doesn’t bother me if they want to wear a Tux nor should it bother them if we dress smart casual.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t let what other people wear bother me either, life’s too short to stress and worry about other peoples attire.

But it floats some peoples boats;)

We were invited to dine with the Staff Captain last August.

I had a dress shirt, blue blazer, and tie. Two other men had suits. One man only had shirt and tie, no jacket.

Personally, I will now pack a suit, just in case. I felt slightly under dressed.