Main Dining Room dress code

It's curious how you used the word "respect" and yet I consider "respect" to be a person that "respects" the dress code. With regard to the question, I to find those that attend dinner respecting the dress code are usually also have reasonable manners and kindness. I have also been at table, where the dress code was not respected, and well those people had also less desirable manners and language. People always say that what you dress should matter, but it does and people often act the way they dress. It's not that difficult to not to wear a baseball cap, and slip on a pair of long pants for the evening.

And yet the opposite is so often true. I try not to judge by outward appearance as I have met more than my share of well-dressed horse's patooties!!!

Edited by poocher

To those that think a "suggested dress code" is that important then you might want to try Cunard where men are required to wear a jacket every night and a dark suit or formal ware almost 50% of the time. We have done both Cunard and Royal and have not found people in shorts in the MDR to be of any lower character than those in more formal attire.

Many of us have worked careers where some degree of dress was mandated or at least expected. Now being retired it's nice not to have to dress that much, or specifically so some judgmental person will have the perception that we are better people because we are more formally attired.

Remember in today's world dress requirements/expectations have eased significantly from those of 30 or so years ago. Cruise companies to survive in the future have to reflect what is the norm at the time and since these norms have changed they need to reflect the current standards to continue to attract younger cruisers.

Bottom line for Royal seems to be shorts are ok 1st and last night of cruise and MAYBE on other non dress-up nights.

We're still wondering if they are turning people away from wearing shorts at the MDR. I've heard yes, I've heard no... Any recent cruisers??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Like Bob said, they don't enforce dress wear in MDR anymore. This was true on our Anthem cruise a few days back. The attitude here being "It shouldn't bother you what others wear" so seriously, I'm thinking about growing a goatee, wear a ballcap and wife beater with shorts. It REALLY doesn't matter anymore what you wear, especially on cruises out of NJ.

Now, on the med cruises, they DO seem to care, because it's a different clientele abroad.

It's curious how you used the word "respect" and yet I consider "respect" to be a person that "respects" the dress code. With regard to the question, I to find those that attend dinner respecting the dress code are usually also have reasonable manners and kindness. I have also been at table, where the dress code was not respected, and well those people had also less desirable manners and language. People always say that what you dress should matter, but it does and people often act the way they dress. It's not that difficult to not to wear a baseball cap, and slip on a pair of long pants for the evening.

Well, totally agree with you, but the ballcap? That's kind of.....BADLY needed, especially by the American crowd. See, it hides male pattern baldness, so every time you see a slob wearing a ballcap at the dinner table, be rest assured he's worried in case someone sees he is balding.

We're still wondering if they are turning people away from wearing shorts at the MDR. I've heard yes, I've heard no... Any recent cruisers??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

They are blind the during the whole cruise unless it’s formal night.

I also noticed that if you want to break the rule which I don’t think they even have one, try to enter right when they open the MDR it’s sooo crowed by the main entrance that the crew won’t even notice what you are wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off Explorer last Friday. This was the sign posted outside Sapphire Dining room on Explorer. ......It was ignored for the most part. I saw many guests in shorts and it was an ALASKA cruise!

Pretty clear, and they don't even mention nice shorts!

I'm thinking about growing a goatee, wear a ballcap and wife beater with shorts. It REALLY doesn't matter anymore what you wear, especially on cruises out of NJ.

Are you serious? I have a goatee, and I plan on wearing shorts, and I'm from NJ. What is your point? Are you saying that people with goatee's from NJ are trash? I've seen some pretty crude remarks on this board, but this one is probably top 3!

Getting back to the OP, I'm going on the Adventure out of NEW JERSEY, where I grow my goatee, and wear ballcaps, luckily do not wear tank tops....I plan on wearing a pair of dress shorts, boat shoes and a collared shirt each night in MDR. I have a feeling that I'll be dressed nicer and cleaner than most of the people in the MDR. I personally do not like to wear khaki or dress pants when I'm on vacation, that's what I wear to work. Yes, we in NEW JERSEY actually do work and some of us have respectable jobs, maybe manufacturing tank tops and facial hair products. I hardly think they'll kick me out if I'm dressed appropriately, which, yes, is also accepted in MANY country clubs.

I own 2 tank tops for the gym, have never worn them anywhere but a gym, don't bring them on a cruise. I wear boat shoes, polo or button up shirt, and linen shorts in the dining room on Royal Caribbean ships and will continue to do so without any issue. It's the same look as you'd see at any beach resort, yacht club, or casual country club and around any nice restaurant in Palm Beach, FL.

If someone hadn't invented the tank top and baseball hat mantra you people would have nothing to mindlessly repeat.

Some of you should stop w the black spandex though.

Are you serious? I have a goatee, and I plan on wearing shorts, and I'm from NJ. What is your point? Are you saying that people with goatee's from NJ are trash? I've seen some pretty crude remarks on this board, but this one is probably top 3!

Do yourself a favor. See that ignore feature on the boards here? Come over here by the edge of the pier, lemme help you find it;p

If you are concerned about the dress code, then dress as suggested. You won't have to worry about being turned away.

Finally! After reading thousands of replies on many boards for the same topic, this is the first time that someone has told it like it is. Everyone else pushes their own agenda. OP asking this question on any cruise board is like asking which came first the chicken or the egg.

Well, totally agree with you, but the ballcap? That's kind of.....BADLY needed, especially by the American crowd. See, it hides male pattern baldness, so every time you see a slob wearing a ballcap at the dinner table, be rest assured he's worried in case someone sees he is balding.

You just described some of my friends. Maybe they can wear a fedora or Top hat on formal night. Although some will argue that it's not proper for a man to wear a hat indoors. At 57 I am fortunate enough to have a head hair that's slightly receding. I don't even wear a hat in the winter. It takes too long to tame this gray mane and I'm not about to mess it up with a hat.