No Shorts or Tank Tops in MDR except first night

Here’s an idea- draw a line down the center of the dining room. On one side- casual dress, the other formal attire(with set rules) everyone is happy. Everyone gets what they want...and for the love of Mike we can stop beating the dead horse! And fighting!

Pretty sure this has been mentioned already (seems everything else has), but on Quantum they designated one dining room out of 4 as Formal Wear only. If someone showed up in less than a Jacket for men they would loan you one to wear. Well, as is usual, the whining of "it's my cruise and I should be able to wear anything I want, anywhere I want, and I want to wear casual and eat in the Formal Restaurant" started on the MAIDEN VOYAGE! So, draw a line, and someone (likely already blogging on this thread) will demand their right to sit on the other side of the line.

So you have NEVER had 3 snot-nosed kids sitting behind you with the youngest balling her eyes out because ... well, just because. To help you understand an better empathize here is a link for "infant cognition" should it happen to impact your enjoyment of a cruise. For me, I'd MUCH rather have those sitting next to me wearing shorts than dealing with "out of control" kids dressed in tuxes at a table next to us

https://interpersonal.stackexchange.com/questions/1780/how-do-i-deal-with-other-peoples-screaming-children-in-restaurants?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

If you are my Dr. D please don't take this personally as I think I have a physical coming up sometime next week.. LOL

Haha no I don't think I'm your doc.

I agree with you 100% but it doesn't change my point. Yes I'd rather have an under dressed person that an crying kid. But best of all is neither.

And as a parent I can tell you it's a heck of a lot easier to put on decent clothes than it is to control children, sometimes.

Pretty sure this has been mentioned already (seems everything else has), but on Quantum they designated one dining room out of 4 as Formal Wear only. If someone showed up in less than a Jacket for men they would loan you one to wear. Well, as is usual, the whining of "it's my cruise and I should be able to wear anything I want, anywhere I want, and I want to wear casual and eat in the Formal Restaurant" started on the MAIDEN VOYAGE! So, draw a line, and someone (likely already blogging on this thread) will demand their right to sit on the other side of the line.

Oh, I remember that. The ship had barely left the dock when people were on here asking how little they could get away with and still eat in that restaurant. Probably those who had been demanding that there be a separate dining room for those who wanted to dress formally.

and yet another tired, old and totally irrelevant speeding while driving reference. ;p Speeding is breaking the law, not breaking a rule. You get a ticket if caught speeding. You get not even a warning for wearing shorts where they arent permitted most of the time. Big difference.

With that said, Im not one that cares one bit what someone else wears as long as they wearing clothes

Lol good reply.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

As an old-time cruiser going back to the 1990's, I am not opposed to moving with the times, and having shorts in the MDR does not affect my personal dinner.

What does bother me, especially in the Caribbean and other warm-weather locations, is the number of people who go ashore, go to the beach, etc., and don't change or shower prior to dinner, and arrive at dinner wearing tshirts and athletic shorts.

So many of the passengers who favor "dress", "walking " shorts and a nice collared polo are actually being grouped and penalized with the Nike-wearing, basketball tshirt group. I think this is unfortunate. In my opinion there is a huge difference. I wish the MDR staff would some how figure out a way to distinguish between the two. Definitely difficult; it's not the actual shorts or shirt, it's the type and sometimes cleanliness that many people object to.

Obviously you will totally ruin the vacations of many of the people on your cruise. Your dress will change the flavor of the food in the dining room resulting in a bitter vinegar flavor in all foods.

You really only have two options.

1. Stop cruising and lock your self in your bathroom for rest of your life.

2. Perform a ritualistic sacrifice and pray to the three piece suit God for forgiveness.

Wow. Hyperbole much?

As an old-time cruiser going back to the 1990's, I am not opposed to moving with the times, and having shorts in the MDR does not affect my personal dinner.

What does bother me, especially in the Caribbean and other warm-weather locations, is the number of people who go ashore, go to the beach, etc., and don't change or shower prior to dinner, and arrive at dinner wearing tshirts and athletic shorts.

So many of the passengers who favor "dress", "walking " shorts and a nice collared polo are actually being grouped and penalized with the Nike-wearing, basketball tshirt group. I think this is unfortunate. In my opinion there is a huge difference. I wish the MDR staff would some how figure out a way to distinguish between the two. Definitely difficult; it's not the actual shorts or shirt, it's the type and sometimes cleanliness that many people object to.

You have nailed it there.

People coming into the MDR after being out all day and not being showered and changed are bound to be sweaty and potentially pongy and it is the Body odour smell that will put people off their food.

You have nailed it there.

People coming into the MDR after being out all day and not being showered and changed are bound to be sweaty and potentially pongy and it is the Body odour smell that will put people off their food.

Agree. Nothing worse than someone that doesn't shower then puts on their evening dress or tux or suit or whatever they are wearing and wonders around the ship and goes to the different venues. :eek:

Agree. Nothing worse than someone that doesn't shower then puts on their evening dress or tux or suit or whatever they are wearing and wonders around the ship and goes to the different venues. :eek:
I agree but i was thinking of the people who wear the same shorts and T-shirt all day then go for dinner in those clothes without a wash and change of clothes.

People can wear what they want but if they smell awful that would turn my stomach.

My wife and I look forward to dressing up for dinner on our cruise. I also enjoy dining with other people that have dressed up for dinner.

There are (were) cruise lines that catered to the different tastes. For me, it is a problem that more cruise lines are not enforcing the dress code. I think that there should be a clear dress code for each cruise line, these should be enforced and people can choose accordingly. The fact that cruise lines are being vague about the standards are partially to blame for this discussion.

If you do not want to dress up, choose your cruise line accordingly.

I am looking forward to Formal Night and wearing my tuxedo and various bow ties/ cumberbund combos, dressing in a nice suit with a dress shirt with french cuffs and cufflinks for a few nights and a bit more casually. I will not judge you for dressing differently, but please don't judge me for wanting to dress up and eat with like-minded travelers.

I am an American who has lived in Europe for over 20 years - and perhaps I have been influenced by the culture here - where it is more common to dress casually for work and dress up for going over to a friends house for dinner (people still bring flowers or a bottle of wine for the hosts as a thank you for the evening.) My MIL still dresses up to go shopping at the grocery store. It is a part of the culture.

I understand that some wear suits all year, and want to relax. No problem. Wear what you want. But, I would be offended if I invited you over for dinner and you showed up dressed casually, and so I will choose to eat with people that dress accordingly.

Please give me the same grace that you ask for, it is my vacation - I should enjoy it as I desire, and tha means dressing up and making a night of it.

Thanks for allowing my that grace.

I saw someone turned away from DL for we as ring shorts on a non formal night

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The first time we turned Diamond prior to cruising on Jewel, we were just trying to peek into the lounge before going down to get dressed for cocktails and dinner (at that time it was a "Diamond Event" and held in the part time Cigar bar on the VCL deck where the CL is now). The concierge quickly let us know that shorts were not allowed.

The first time we turned Diamond prior to cruising on Jewel, we were just trying to peek into the lounge before going down to get dressed for cocktails and dinner (at that time it was a "Diamond Event" and held in the part time Cigar bar on the VCL deck where the CL is now). The concierge quickly let us know that shorts were not allowed.

Must be along time ago, as over the last 3 cruises I've seen gentlemen in shorts & polos in the D lounge without any problems.

Must be along time ago, as over the last 3 cruises I've seen gentlemen in shorts & polos in the D lounge without any problems.

Our April 2017 cruises on the Jewel we saw a guy in front of us attempting to enter the DL in shorts and was politely stopped and reminded of the dress code and denied entry by the concierge.

So have I. Things have changed obviously (which was my point) over the years with what the ships allow for manners of dress (now "suggested" but not enforced) in both the lounges and the MDR.

Also at that time children were not allowed in the DL/CL.

Yes, has been some years ago. That Diamond Event area on Jewel that was in the old cigar bar, as I mentioned, has been the CL for some years now. ;)

Edited by island lady

Just returned from Symphony of the Seas. I didn't see any tank tops or anything crazy. I find that cruise critic posters are more die hard, vocal of the bunch. They only represent a tiny fraction of the cruising world.

If I want to eat with Walmart people, I'll go to Windjammer. That place has declined so much during my time with RCCL, and so has the rest of the food for that matter. I'd much rather be discussing why the food stinks across the board than to be discussing why the 8 people on board didn't dress up for dinner.

Just returned from Symphony of the Seas. I didn't see any tank tops or anything crazy. I find that cruise critic posters are more die hard, vocal of the bunch. They only represent a tiny fraction of the cruising world.

If I want to eat with Walmart people, I'll go to Windjammer. That place has declined so much during my time with RCCL, and so has the rest of the food for that matter. I'd much rather be discussing why the food stinks across the board than to be discussing why the 8 people on board didn't dress up for dinner.

I would rather be discussing how nice the food was.

Dressing is a personal thing best left to the individual concerned.We personally take great pride in how we look but would never critisise anyone for how they look as it is a persons personality which counts.

I would rather be discussing how nice the food was.

Dressing is a personal thing best left to the individual concerned.We personally take great pride in how we look but would never critisise anyone for how they look as it is a persons personality which counts.

+1^

Something we agree about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums