Clothing at night- want your opinion!

vacationlover_mn

I will be taking RCCL Radiance in June. I plan to wear nice dresses to dinner on formal night. I was thinking LulaRoe Leggings and Randy’s/Lynnae’s the other. We would be in the MDR. Would I stand out as too casual? Note, the stuff I’d wear would fit appropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It appears that you have done a number of RC cruises, so understand their dress code standards. But I really do think that dress on Alaska cruises is more casual in general than on other itineraries on the same cruise line. We do 60 to 90 nights a year on Celebrity, and certainly on Celebrity passengers dress more casually on Alaska cruises than on other Celebrity itineraries.

It appears that you have done a number of RC cruises, so understand their dress code standards. But I really do think that dress on Alaska cruises is more casual in general than on other itineraries on the same cruise line. We do 60 to 90 nights a year on Celebrity, and certainly on Celebrity passengers dress more casually on Alaska cruises than on other Celebrity itineraries.

I agree! We were on Carnival and while some say it's more casual than other lines, I would say still a majority of the passengers dress nicely. But Alaska was definitely more casual than our other cruises.

I am glad to hear you say it is more casual. With packing more and heavier types of clothing, not as much room for dress up stuff.

I'll also be on Radiance in June for our first Alaska cruise (after many in the Caribbean). We stopped eating in the MDR a few cruises ago (there's a long running thread in the RCI forum, not here to debate that, to each his own). That said, we do frequent the Diamond Lounge nightly. Based on recent Caribbean experiences with the DL (which has loosened its dress code) and reading about how Alaska is more casual, I'm assuming nice jeans and any nice looking long sleeve shirt would be acceptable. Can any RC cruisers comment on the DL in Alaska?

I'll also be on Radiance in June for our first Alaska cruise (after many in the Caribbean). We stopped eating in the MDR a few cruises ago (there's a long running thread in the RCI forum, not here to debate that, to each his own). That said, we do frequent the Diamond Lounge nightly. Based on recent Caribbean experiences with the DL (which has loosened its dress code) and reading about how Alaska is more casual, I'm assuming nice jeans and any nice looking long sleeve shirt would be acceptable. Can any RC cruisers comment on the DL in Alaska?

We are planning similar for our May Radiance cruise. I can post what we see when we get back.

We are planning similar for our May Radiance cruise. I can post what we see when we get back.

That would be great! Please feel free to share as much as you care to about anything and everything but if you're not a trip report person, no worries.

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts! I love dressing up every night on the Caribbean, but since this one requires bulkier daytime clothes, I was hoping to simplify my evenings :)

I felt the same way. Plus we spent 4 days in Seattle before our cruise, so we had packed a lot to begin with. I even forgot decent, regular walking shoes and had to buy a pair of gym shoes in Seattle. I bought something like Keds, the canvas shoes. I had my sandals, that I could wear with capris or dresses, but when we started walking around Seattle, I knew they would hurt my feet after being in them for 12 hours. Plus, it was pretty warm when we were there, so I wasn't wearing long pants, where I could then wear my boots. I was wearing shorts or capris most of those days, so I needed the shoes.

I also ended up buying a jacket on the ship. They had a good sale, of course, so it was like $25. It's got a nice fleece inside part, with "Alaska" and mountains stitched into it. Then the outside is waterproof. Being in Chicago, it makes a nice spring coat, so it wasn't a big waste.

We are on the Radiance in July and I have the same mindset about dressing up for dinner. I plan on smart casual most nights then maybe a little dressier on formal nights without the gown/tux thing. We are doing a post cruise tour also so this is why I'm toning it down some for dinner. Hubby will wear dress pants and collared shirt then he will add a sports jacket on the formal nights. I will wear dress pants mostly as I cannot wear heels anymore and with a dressy top I can make it work.

We are on the Radiance in July and I have the same mindset about dressing up for dinner. I plan on smart casual most nights then maybe a little dressier on formal nights without the gown/tux thing. We are doing a post cruise tour also so this is why I'm toning it down some for dinner. Hubby will wear dress pants and collared shirt then he will add a sports jacket on the formal nights. I will wear dress pants mostly as I cannot wear heels anymore and with a dressy top I can make it work.

Sounds like our plan as well for Alaska in June on HAL. Enjoy!

We sailed on Radiance to AK three years ago. I believe the clothing you talk about is fine for non-formal nights. Things may have changed in the 3 years but I remember many, many people dressing very formally on the formal nights. I wore maxi dresses with heels, but I felt underdressed. Lots of sequins and tuxes. Not everyone, but a lot.

So... do you think well fitting leggings with tops long enough to cover me appropriately would be offensive to people on non-formal nights?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will be fine. I’ve seen LulaRoe leggings worn in MDR on other cruises. They pack easily too!

I have been twice previously and can tell you that it is much more casual dress- you will be fine with leggings

Hi, we'll be on the 6/22 Radiance with you. Since you've been before and you're obviously at least Diamond from your signature, are nice jeans OK for the DL? I'm used to wearing khakis in the DL in the Caribbean but trying to streamline the packing since we're doing a 10-day DIY pre-tour. Thanks!

Hi, we'll be on the 6/22 Radiance with you. Since you've been before and you're obviously at least Diamond from your signature, are nice jeans OK for the DL? I'm used to wearing khakis in the DL in the Caribbean but trying to streamline the packing since we're doing a 10-day DIY pre-tour. Thanks!

Hi Mike-I think nice jeans with a nice shirt is fine! See you there. Are you signed up for the meet and mingle? Its usually on the second day around 10:30am. A note will be delivered to your stateroom.I

Robin

Hi Mike-I think nice jeans with a nice shirt is fine! See you there. Are you signed up for the meet and mingle? Its usually on the second day around 10:30am. A note will be delivered to your stateroom.I

Robin

Thanks Robin, appreciate the input. Yes, we're signed up for the M&M. We went to our first one this past summer on Oasis and were disappointed (it was basically a raffle, no one interacted) but we'll probably give it another shot. From what I've read, they vary greatly depending on the attendees, the crew member running it, etc., so hopefully this one is better.