Why do people sit around the pool?

Cozmic206

I'm thinking this poster isn't referring to people lounging on the pool deck, but actually sitting around the edges of the actual pool, like in this photo. I still maintain that it's because the pool is too deep to actually hang out in the pool itself unless you are swimming laps or something.

norwegian-escape-norwegian-ncl-17553.jpg

I would be a drink or three that there is some type of entertainment on the stage when this photo was taken. Folks like to be entertained...

Once I made the mistake of going in the pool for 10 minutes and leaving my stuff on my poolside chair - I got back out to see a chairhog removing my things and parking themselves in my chair!!!! Evidently there's a chairhog rule that if you get up for more than a couple of minutes you've given up your chair or you have become a chairhog! Saying "but I was in the pool, see, I'm dripping wet" didn't seem to matter - chairs by the pool are for hogging, not for accomodating those who dare to swim for a little while!

I have to disagree about “pools are for swimming”. Unless it is a pool specifically designed for swimming with lanes etc. case in point is basically any land based public pool or even private membership based pools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pools are designed for swimming. Why do you think they are not 2 feet deep with cup holders attached to them? Why do YOU think they are making them so deep now on new ships? So they can be used what they are designed for .... swimming, not drinking beer in or around for 6 hours straight. Again, there's a reason they are so deep now and it's on purpose. If it's over six feet deep, and you're not ..... you're swimming. Edited by tallnthensome

Once I made the mistake of going in the pool for 10 minutes and leaving my stuff on my poolside chair - I got back out to see a chairhog removing my things and parking themselves in my chair!!!! Evidently there's a chairhog rule that if you get up for more than a couple of minutes you've given up your chair or you have become a chairhog! Saying "but I was in the pool, see, I'm dripping wet" didn't seem to matter - chairs by the pool are for hogging, not for accomodating those who dare to swim for a little while!

I've tried on several occasions to bring this up on the forum but very few people want to address the issue.

EVERYONE agrees that the people who place items on a chair at the crack of dawn and don't return for hours are wrong BUT the people who move other people's items are ALSO wrong. If you were gone for 10 minutes, your items should not have been touched by anyone other than you. If you were gone (on NCL) for 50 minutes, your items should not have been touched by anyone other than you.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Pools are designed for swimming. Why do you think they are not 2 feet deep with cup holders attached to them? Why do YOU think they are making them so deep now on new ships? So they can be used what they are designed for .... swimming, not drinking beer in or around for 6 hours straight. Again, there's a reason they are so deep now and it's on purpose. If it's over six feet deep, and you're not ..... you're swimming.

I didn’t suggest that they were for drinking beer. Although tons of pools at many vacation spots would disagree with you. And most pools (not necessarily on cruise ships) have a shallow end and a deep and. I can tell you personally that I love pools but I don’t “swim” in them. I will stand in the shallower end at times or float in the deep end at times etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be a drink or three that there is some type of entertainment on the stage when this photo was taken. Folks like to be entertained...

Probably since it goes on for a few hours each day. When I was on the Getaway, I hopped in the pool to cool down. There were so many people packed around the edges, that I couldn't find a place to grab an edge or even get to the ladder. I am not a strong swimmer, and it was a bit scary for a minute, before I was finally able to call out to someone to move the hell out of the way so that I could hang on to something, other than a leg. In this photo, the edge isn't as packed as it was on that cruise of ours.

I don’t mind ‘the drunks’ but I do agree that the depth is done intentionally as a crowd control measure. If it was standing depth it would be shoulder to shoulder people all day long. Ever seen a swim up bar at a resort? No thanks.

The pool area is also less windy than the upper-most deck on most ships since it’s set down a level and blocks the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t mind ‘the drunks’ but I do agree that the depth is done intentionally as a crowd control measure. If it was standing depth it would be shoulder to shoulder people all day long. Ever seen a swim up bar at a resort? No thanks.

I assume it has more to do with weight balance of the ship, but what do I know.

Maybe they have an inside cabin and no other place to sit and relax?

Do you really think that sitting on a pool edge with your feet dangling in the water is the relaxation spot of choice on a ship? Have you been on a ship?

I'm thinking this poster isn't referring to people lounging on the pool deck, but actually sitting around the edges of the actual pool, like in this photo. I still maintain that it's because the pool is too deep to actually hang out in the pool itself unless you are swimming laps or something.

This is the exact type of pictures I've been seeing lol!

Sometimes I like to take a dip in the pool, sometimes I sit in the hot tub, but usually I like to listen to an audio book while eating french fries and a burger in the sun. To each their own really. We all vacation for different reasons. Some to sight see and others to escape and relax.

The weather of course matters.

It also depends on the ship. I was on the Sky, which is notorious for a younger crowd, and we had 20 people performing a cannon ball at the same time with others rotating in. It was a blast.

Most of the newer ships are going 5 to even 6.5 feet deep and it's for a reason ..... a good reason. Keeping the pools deeper keeps the drunks out of the pool so they are used for swimming and not for standing in with drinks while people pi$$ in them. Pools are for swimming, not for loud mouth drunks to stand in for 5 hours with 4 buckets of beer next to them. I love this trend. MSC Seaside was all 6 feet and it was used for pool activities and the drunks stayed by the bar. All cruise lines should follow this trend.....

Any trip to Las Vegas underscores the need for deeper pools!!

Does it really get that busy? I think we must have been lucky on our Alaskan cruise.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app