Carnival loses luggage and doesn't care!

3 hours ago, BigCruze said:

They also work with Bluetooth. 

Yeah, but BT has a limited range, and metal hulls and bulkheads do a really good job of limiting that range.  So as remarked, you'd potentially have to walk the entire ship until you got close enough to get a lock.  Still, probably worth the effort!

On 5/15/2018 at 2:16 PM, NotThePest_Too said:

This post is for all those looking for Luggage Tracking Devices:

In my google and amazon search to find Luggage Tracking Tech. (There are suitcases that have it built in - But I have luggage already), I found this one LugLoc: https://lugloc.com/

On their WEB site I found a contact number/email and wrote an email asking for further information. I received this response (info on another product to be released this month, May, mid-month 2018:

Support Team (LugLoc)

May 13, 16:28 CDT

Ramona,

Sure that can work. The LugLoc bluetooth proximity sensor has 100 feet of range but If I were you I will take a look at our new product called GEGO at www.gego.io I can get you a 40% off for two or more units plus free shipping inside the US.

• It works over 3G networks worldwide. That means that GEGO has coverage in countries like Japan, where 2G was not available, and also improves connectivity in all countries since the 3G network is wider spread than 2G.
  • GEGO combines WiFi networks detection with Cell Tower locations, dramatically improving the accuracy of your location reports. GEGO will not only report the city you are at but literally give the exact address where it is. Since GEGO doesn't depend on GPS signal, it also works indoors.
  • GEGO is designed for flight travel, but also for personal use throughout the day. When the device is not near an airport, it will keep reporting its location when it is moving.
  • With GEGO, you can define "Safe Zones", that allow receiving notifications whenever the device enters or exit the area.
  • Battery life has been dramatically improved! GEGO reports its location every time it starts moving, instead of being online all the time. It also smartly turns ON or OFF, so you don't even need to activate an ON/OFF switch.
  • There is a 4.99 USS dollars fee but it can be cancelled at anytime.

The GeGo will be available at mid May.

Best regards,

Soooo, we have a lot to research, however, a new product that has not been released meaning not reviewed or tested by an independent outside party.

Ramona

Thanks for your post!

I’ve been happily using my LugLoc combined with a Tile for all of my travel and hadn’t realized there was an updated version. I just ordered a GEGO to replace my LugLoc and I’m so excited as one of my frequent destinations that I fly to has very poor 2G/EDGE connectivity but readily has 3G.

On 5/7/2018 at 5:07 PM, Orangeskull said:

Brother, which part of no luggage did you not understand? They don't sell underwear on the boat. We didnt hit a stop till the 5th day where she could purchase any. So during the day she would wear the bathing suit given to her by a stranger then at night she either had to wear that one pair of underwear or go commando. *The ship did offer to laundered the underwear to which we did take advantage of.

That is why whenever we travel my carry on has at least two pair of underwear, two pair socks, a pair of pants and two shirts. DW's has the same for her plus two bras. Then if checked bags get lost we have clothes for three days. On day three get laundry done two more days clean. And so on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CdrescherRBL152 said:

That is why whenever we travel my carry on has at least two pair of underwear, two pair socks, a pair of pants and two shirts. DW's has the same for her plus two bras. Then if checked bags get lost we have clothes for three days. On day three get laundry done two more days clean. And so on.

I do the same. I have 2-3 days of clothes in my carry on, including a swimsuit, bar, underwear, shorts, capris, tops, dress, swimsuit coverup, and sandals. I would be missing my personal products, unless I remember (and can fit them in) my carry on before boarding ship. I leave this Saturday, March 2, on the Breeze, and pray no lost luggage.

I always have 2 changes of underwear, pj's, swimsuit, cover up, flip flops, and an extra outfit in my carry on.  We take it one step further and cross pack.  Half of my stuff  goes in hubby's suitcase and half of his stuff goes in mine.  

We never lost a bag on a cruise, but the airlines lost a bag on one of our all inclusive vacations to Mexico.  It took them 2 days to get it to us, but no harm, no foul, as we both had plenty of clothes to wear.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2018 at 5:31 PM, beachbum53 said:

I have a question for Orangeskull. When your luggage was finally found and delivered to you, were your Carnival tags still attached to them? I'm guessing they were, or your bags wouldn't have been delivered to your cabin. I'm inclined to agree with others that your bags were stashed in someone else's cabin, for whatever reason. If that's so, I'm not sure what Carnival could do about it, beyond what was offered.

Carnival Cruise lines is a multi-billion dollar company. It would not affect them in the slightest to give these people a 50% or more refund.

12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Where do you draw the line?

I understand but with a customer being without luggage the entire cruise they can do more. Even if they have to give two people every single cruise a 50% refund. They would be just fine with that I'm sure. 2,000 to 4,000 people on a boat so giving out say $800 in refunds to make someone happy would be an awesome success rate. Not compensating them would be like saying a company that sells a product should not have any warranty claims. Big companies have budgets built in for customer satisfaction.

10 minutes ago, tnutt10 said:

I understand but with a customer being without luggage the entire cruise they can do more. Even if they have to give two people every single cruise a 50% refund. They would be just fine with that I'm sure. 2,000 to 4,000 people on a boat so giving out say $800 in refunds to make someone happy would be an awesome success rate. Not compensating them would be like saying a company that sells a product should not have any warranty claims. Big companies have budgets built in for customer satisfaction.

I do get your point, we are talking about a publicly traded company, stockholder equity reigns supreme, never happening.

22 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I do get your point, we are talking about a publicly traded company, stockholder equity reigns supreme, never happening.

I'm just panicking because we are going on one Sunday and we are nervous about bags getting lost but hopefully everything will be fine. 

3 minutes ago, tnutt10 said:

I'm just panicking because we are going on one Sunday and we are nervous about bags getting lost but hopefully everything will be fine. 

Enjoy your cruise, 10’s of thousands of bags go on and off ships every week.  As a safety net, we always do a carry on for essentials (bathing suits a change of clothes) for the time until the bags get delivered.  Is this your first cruise?

Edited by jimbo5544

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Enjoy your cruise, 10’s of thousands of bags go on and off ships every week.  As a safety net, we always do a carry on for essentials (bathing suits a change of clothes) for the time until the bags get delivered.  Is this your first cruise?

Thanks! No it’s my 5th. And yes we will have essentials in our book bags. I’m actually more worried about the airlines but I will put our things I definitely need in my carry on.

Just now, tnutt10 said:

Thanks! No it’s my 5th. And yes we will have essentials in our book bags. I’m actually more worried about the airlines but I will put our things I definitely need in my carry on.

We have been on 40+ cruises and never had a problem (to put a perspective of % of chance of happening).  What are you sailing on?

I know that this a rather old thread, though not as old as some dig up, but I am still sitting here trying to figure out why their second stop was Easter. 

Sailed on March 31st,

April 1st at private island and then second stop all store are closed due to Easter?

Second stop was April 2. Easter was April 1st, 2018. What cruise ship port had all their stores closed the day AFTER Easter? 

Or what did I miss?

Edited by Bookbug53

31 minutes ago, tnutt10 said:

No need to panic, as Jimbo said, it's rare they lose luggage. We definitely have worst luck with the airlines than the cruise ships. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 10:46 AM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

We had a bag disappear when we disembarked the ship. We went to the area with our luggage group, and all but 1 of our bags were there. We spoke to the representative there, and waited while the luggage area cleared out. We checked other groups, but it wasn't there either.

Finally, there was 1 bag left that was very similar to our missing bag, and it had a tag with a phone number on it. The Carnival rep called the number, and said they left a bag, and probably took someone else's by mistake. Believe it or not, the person yelled at the Carnival rep ( I heard them on the rep's cell phone), "We have all our bags, we didn't take someone else's, I don't know why you are calling us!" and hung up on them.

Well, 5 minutes later, the genius must have realized that the Carnival rep got their phone number from somewhere, and left a voice mail on my cell phone - my phone didn't ring (the number was on our tag), and said they had our bag, and would leave it in the parking garage, and would give it to us if we returned their bag to them that we stole! Yes, she blamed us for her taking the wrong bag.

Well, the rep wouldn't let us take someone else's bag out of the terminal (nor did we want to), so we went to the parking garage to find our luggage.

We walk around the garage, and see our bag tucked tightly between a women's legs. I go over to her, and ask her for the bag. She says she won't hand it over until she gets her bag back. She was holding our bag hostage!

I told her Carnival had her bag, she just needed to go to the terminal and get it, but she refused, saying it was our responsibility to get her bag.

So, I go to a security guard (who was in line of sight) and told him that woman over there has our bag, and won't return it. He goes over, and she initially refused to hand it over also, saying we first needed to retrieve their bag from the terminal.

The woman changed her mind when the guard said her choices were to hand the bag over, or be arrested for theft.

We then left with our bags.

This sounds very similar to what happened to us on our last cruise. Nothing quite so dramatic but someone took our garment bag with all our formal wear in it. We searched the whole terminal with the staff and finally one bag that looked like ours was left. We called the number but no answer. A few days later after leaving many messages we get a call that they have our bag but they want us to pay to have it sent back to us. Maybe it's just me but if I take someones bag by mistake I think I should cover the cost of getting it to it's rightful owner. We called Carnival and I don't know who covered the cost of getting the bag back to us (I hope it was the customer that took it simply because I think they had a shitty attitude) but we got it back a few days later.   

I too hate the way they leave the luggage outside the doors. How hard would it be to go that extra step and put it inside the door, or at least knock to let you know it's there. 

I've never cross packed or even carried a change of clothes in my carry on. I always assumed that if our bags got lost that we could get something on the ship to wear. It never occurred to me I might not be able to find under clothes. I know next time what I'm going to be packing in my carry on.  

Once we were debarking from a Celebrity ship in bayonne NJ.  One piece of our luggage wasn't there.  Someone walked us all around looking for it.  They told us if we left without the luggage they would not send it to us because they said it would be considered abandoned .  We were with a group on a bus with 35 people.  We had all stayed in a Hotel the night before which was obly 7 miles from the port.  Parked our cars for free and hired this bus....so Richard ran out to the bus and told eveyone to go on without us....Then, of course he couldn't get back in...then they told me to go outside and when EVERYONE LEFT THE SHIP we could come back to continue to look for the bag.  So we sat on a bench in 22 degree weather for 4 hrs...waiting for the all clear to come back in.  There were 7 of us altogether ( not from our group but from the ship) who didn't have all of their luggage.  Finally we were taken in and in the center of this big huge warehouse was a small pile of luggage.  There it was the piece of luggage we were waiting for...the suit carry on that I told my husband not to bother to put outside we can just take it off the ship with our small carry on....he said it was easier for him to send it with the other 2 bags.  The cab ride to the hotel cost us $50. 😩 He listens to me more now.

• Haha 1

My Aunt and Uncle went on a CCL based cruise line once and none of their checked luggage ever showed up in their room.  It was never, ever found.  After they checked it in at the cruise port it somehow got lost.  They had a few things in the carry on and the ship gave them a few hundred to buy some clothes on the ship etc.  They mainly laughed and adapted yet they were unimpressed with the whole situation.  They got some coin back when they returned related to their trip insurance.  My liked that in ports she could shop yet they also had to buy suitcases to bring it home too.  S__t happens.  Lesson learned to always cruise with the trip insurance which luckily they had done.

16 hours ago, Bookbug53 said:

I know that this a rather old thread, though not as old as some dig up, but I am still sitting here trying to figure out why their second stop was Easter. 

Sailed on March 31st,

April 1st at private island and then second stop all store are closed due to Easter?

Second stop was April 2. Easter was April 1st, 2018. What cruise ship port had all their stores closed the day AFTER Easter? 

Or what did I miss?

Outside of the US, Easter Monday is (or was) often a holiday in a lot of places.  I guess it was/is still observed wherever that stop was.

I remember getting Easter Monday off from school when I was a kid, growing up outside the US.

Several years ago, Carnival lost one of our bags, but they sent it to us via UPS once we got home. And then just a few years ago, after getting off a Royal ship, our large suitcase was not there, and we had a tour bus waiting for us. They took our flight information and my cell phone number, called me when they found it, and sent it directly to the airport for us. 

I had an airline (Continental) lose my luggage right before my third ever cruise.  Hadn't booked the flight through Carnival.  Airline cheerfully insisted it would be on the next flight. It wasn't on any of the next 3 flights (Newark to Fort Lauderdale is a busy run).  Eventually had to go to the ship without it.  Called while on board before we left and now Continental is telling me they have 72 hours to get me my luggage (technically correct).  The lady at the Carnival gift shop noticed I was out of sorts as I was looking about for something to wear.  Once she heard the story, she marched me over to guest services, who promptly said to give them the flight info and they would take care of it.  They also gave me a $75 obc and a free formal-wear rental (they used to do that).  I had my bag by our first port of call.

Carnival obviously handled my situation better, but the bigger moral of the story is that I will never again travel without a carry-on that includes a pair of shoes, several pairs of underwear, a bathing suit and a sundress.  Because stuff happens.