Biss (unreadable) Luggage Tags and aren't we in the 21st century?

AlaSKa_64

I was shocked to receive my luggage tags from NCL and notice there was no bar code on the tag! I had read on another thread that Bliss tags were dark purple w/black lettering (the tag information is barely visible to the naked eye, what were they thinking?), but figured the bar-code portion of the tag would be readable for the embarkation port scanners, and it was nothing to worry about as it wouldn't slow down the boarding process. Are bar-code scanners and their relevant tracking technology not part of the cruise industry yet? I haven't cruised in many years so curious if this is industry wide or just NCL being behind the times?

In situations like this, I believe that bar codes are usually used when the sorting is automated. So, a bar code is scanned, the item is put on a belt and it automatically directed to the correct place.

In ports, I doubt whether there those sort of facilities (this is nothing to do with NCL, but the ports themselves). My guess is that the sorting is done manually, by first splitting to aft, mid or forward, and then probably by deck. Then the stewards take them to the correct room. From memory, position and deck are printed quite large on the tags.

In a situation like that, bar codes wouldn’t have any particular benefit, although being able to read them clearly would be an obvious benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 Cruises on NCL at 5 ports and I have never seen a bar code. They are color coded, cabin number, Forward, Mid Aft. No need for bar codes. Its all manual, its not like the airport. Bags go to porters who load them onto carts, those carts are taken to the luggage baskets where the luggage is loaded into them and put on the ship. As soon as the ship leaves port the luggage is removed from baskets and distruibited. Its not rocket science and the ships does not have a conveyer system to move luggage around

Thanks for the quick feedback and comments. The technology has gotten so "cheap & easy" I figured it had made it to the cruise industry...guess I figured wrong! I feel bad for the porters in Seattle trying to read these tags! I have a feeling it will slow down the process, we shall see.

I have gotten my bag (1) just fine on all ships. Frankly, I'm amazed at the amount of bags some folks sail with for a 7 day cruise. I don't see how you handle lugging them around pre cruise.

I was shocked to receive my luggage tags from NCL and notice there was no bar code on the tag! I had read on another thread that Bliss tags were dark purple w/black lettering (the tag information is barely visible to the naked eye, what were they thinking?), but figured the bar-code portion of the tag would be readable for the embarkation port scanners, and it was nothing to worry about as it wouldn't slow down the boarding process. Are bar-code scanners and their relevant tracking technology not part of the cruise industry yet? I haven't cruised in many years so curious if this is industry wide or just NCL being behind the times?

No bar codes on NCL. If they sent you the tags, use them and don't worry about it.

Can’t see the need for this technology to be used one day, or two, a week especially since all luggage is going to the same destination.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Think tracking like UPS and USPS are able to tell you exactly where your package at even given time around the globe. Rarely have we been on a cruise when there has not been some sort of announcement about mislayed bags requesting passengers to be on the look out for them. If they were scanned when delivered to a cabin, there mislocation can quickly be centrally discovered. Sure, a ship is not anywhere as complex as a airport or the post office, but having to worry or emphasize about some poor fellow passenger missing their luggage is priceless.

The tags we got were blank ink over a dark purple background. Those went in the trash and we printed the ones from our edocs with black print on white paper (with a small color bar at the bottoms). The Bliss is Dark Purple, and there is no chance of mixing bags from different ships at the bell street terminal.

9 Cruises on NCL at 5 ports and I have never seen a bar code. They are color coded, cabin number, Forward, Mid Aft. No need for bar codes. Its all manual, its not like the airport. Bags go to porters who load them onto carts, those carts are taken to the luggage baskets where the luggage is loaded into them and put on the ship. As soon as the ship leaves port the luggage is removed from baskets and distruibited. Its not rocket science and the ships does not have a conveyer system to move luggage around

Please tell me they distribute the bags PRIOR to leaving port. We are leaving out of San Juan in March 2019 and the ship does not leave port until 8:00p. I would hate to think we would not receive our bags until after that.

Please tell me they distribute the bags PRIOR to leaving port. We are leaving out of San Juan in March 2019 and the ship does not leave port until 8:00p. I would hate to think we would not receive our bags until after that.
Maybe, maybe not.

You will be fine.

We have had quite a few late departure times and have never noticed any difference in the times that luggage is distributed. It’s rare for us not to have our bags by 4-5pm even if we aren’t departing until the evening.

Think tracking like UPS and USPS are able to tell you exactly where your package at even given time around the globe. Rarely have we been on a cruise when there has not been some sort of announcement about mislayed bags requesting passengers to be on the look out for them. If they were scanned when delivered to a cabin, there mislocation can quickly be centrally discovered. Sure, a ship is not anywhere as complex as a airport or the post office, but having to worry or emphasize about some poor fellow passenger missing their luggage is priceless.
But then think too. . How much mail and even airport luggage goes missing with bar codes. I haven even received packages multiple times from both the usps, and the other package carriers that should have gone to other addresses. Mistakes can still be made.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

But then think too. . How much mail and even airport luggage goes missing with bar codes. I haven even received packages multiple times from both the usps, and the other package carriers that should have gone to other addresses. Mistakes can still be made.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I received my tags and while I did comment that the color choices were poor, it is certainly NOT unreadable. That’s a little over dramatic.

You will be fine.

We have had quite a few late departure times and have never noticed any difference in the times that luggage is distributed. It’s rare for us not to have our bags by 4-5pm even if we aren’t departing until the evening.

Thanks. That is what I assumed (4-5p). Would have meant needing to pack a little more in the carry on bag.

I received my tags and while I did comment that the color choices were poor, it is certainly NOT unreadable. That’s a little over dramatic.

Are we talking about Priority tags for Haven? I'm not on the Bliss, but my Escape Haven Priority tags received in the mail were dark purple with black lettering (the ones online were solid white with a small purple bar as BirdTravels mentioned above.)

My first thought was having dark solid color tags was to make sure the Priority tags stood out to the porters & crew and actually thought that was a good idea on NCL's part. If I had printed my tags online, my bags would just blend in with everyone else's.

Are we talking about Priority tags for Haven? I'm not on the Bliss, but my Escape Haven Priority tags received in the mail were dark purple with black lettering (the ones online were solid white with a small purple bar as BirdTravels mentioned above.)

My first thought was having dark solid color tags was to make sure the Priority tags stood out to the porters & crew and actually thought that was a good idea on NCL's part. If I had printed my tags online, my bags would just blend in with everyone else's.

No I am not haven. But the luggage tags are dark purple with black lettering as you describe. A little hard to read the stateroom number but certainly not unreadable.

OP, I am sorry that you were initially "shocked".

Thanks for the quick feedback and comments.

The technology has gotten so "cheap & easy" I figured it had made it to the cruise industry...guess I figured wrong!

I feel bad for the porters in Seattle trying to read these tags!

I have a feeling it will slow down the process, we shall see.

I have gotten my bag (1) just fine on all ships.

Frankly, I'm amazed at the amount of bags some folks sail with for a 7 day cruise.

I don't see how you handle lugging them around pre cruise.

Baggage handlers only have two speeds.

If you don't like the one you get, I'm sure you wouldn't like the other one.:p:evilsmile:

You can get REAL tags from the porters when you check your bags....just to be sure they get to you!

Real tags? I’m pretty sure the ones NCL sent me in the mail are real lol

Bag tracking is not really a concern on a cruise ship. Al luggage is going on the same ship. No need to fix a problem that does not exist, well unless you are the federal government and getting kickbacks. But that is a different issue. WE have been on nine cruise so far and never have we heard any announcement about mislayed bags.