tips

We have our gratuities removed, not because we are cheap, but because we want them to go to those who have worked for them. Royal states "

The daily gratuity is shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams. ." So who is that, The Captain, The chairman of the Board? We simply leave cash tips for those who have earned them.

Unfortunately, I think you left out shareholders!

Cheers

That's as good an excuse as any. I suppose you take time to search out those who do you laundry (sheets and towels, etc.) and give them the appropriate amounts. And, I'm sure you tip those who serve you in the Lido too.

How did those people make their living before the cruise lines invented autogratuities and we handed tips to the folks that we interacted with? Would it not still work like it used to if someone removes the autograts and hands the tip directly to the service people just like we used to do?

That's as good an excuse as any. I suppose you take time to search out those who do you laundry (sheets and towels, etc.) and give them the appropriate amounts.

This is exactly my point! Those people should not have to rely on supplementation from people they never meet!

And, I'm sure you tip those who serve you in the Lido too.

Yes, I for one, do!

Cheers

We have our gratuities removed, not because we are cheap, but because we want them to go to those who have worked for them. Royal states "

The daily gratuity is shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams. ." So who is that, The Captain, The chairman of the Board? We simply leave cash tips for those who have earned them.

RCI publishes the the breakout of who gets the grats. I am traveling and using a tablet, so cannot easily find and post them, but they have been posted on CC MANY times.

Also, with some lines, if you remove the auto-grats, the people you tip are required to turn in any cash tips.

If you leave auto-grats, those you tips extra get to keep what you give them.

Scrap the system of auto gratuities, increase the base wages of behind the scenes staff even if that means increasing cruise fares and allow passengers to decide how best to allocate their tips to those they interact with!

Cheers

What would be a 'fair wage'?

How much should the cruise fare be raised?

Please, exact amounts, not vague statements.

What would be a 'fair wage'?

How much should the cruise fare be raised?

Please, exact amounts, not vague statements.

A fair wage will be different for each occupation. Let's start by increasing each pay packet by the amount of gratuities if everyone paid their gratuities.

I'm not an actuary, but I think something around the $10 per person per day. The difference between the daily tip amount and this cost would be offset by the cost of administering the auto gratuities separately and savings on guest services staff when they lose the task of removing grats.

Can you please provide the exact amount that you think is outrageous?

Cheers

A fair wage will be different for each occupation. Let's start by increasing each pay packet by the amount of gratuities if everyone paid their gratuities.

Well, that's one of the problems. The best way to determine a fair wage is are there those who are willing to work at that wage. Obviously, the current compensation package, wages and tips, fulfills that objective.

I'm not an actuary, but I think something around the $10 per person per day. The difference between the daily tip amount and this cost would be offset by the cost of administering the auto gratuities separately and savings on guest services staff when they lose the task of removing grats.

The double occupancy capacity of an Oasis class ship is 5400. The daily gratuities are $14.50 (neglecting suites). Do you really think it costs RCCI $ 24,300 per day to administer the auto gratuity program?

It appears that you're trying to justify reducing the cost of cruising by $4.50 PPPD. I think most of those advocating a fair wage paid by the cruise line believe that if the cruise line paid a 'fair wage', they could avoid paying the gratuities.

Can you please provide the exact amount that you think is outrageous?

Cheers

The current system works and works well in providing a crew focused on providing a good service. What does doing away with auto gratuities accomplish if, at the end of the day, the crew compensation remains the same and the cost to cruise remains the same?

I think it's outrageous for customers to think they can devise a better compensation package. These customers have no idea of what works.

You are aware of the surveys/studies that show that in those areas that have done away with tipping in favor of paying service staff a "fair wage", customers, management, and service staff prefer the tipping system?

Mean and cheap is not being prepared to pay the ship staff a proper wage. In the UK, when we tip, we are really giving a tip, a little extra to say thank you, because the staff have already been paid.

I find the whole idea of exploiting poorly paid service staff by making them rely on handouts from customers, abhorrent and insulting.

I know this is the custom in the US, and I am prepared to accept and comply with it when I am there, but that certainly doesn't mean that I respect it, or those that support it.

If the supposed gratuity is expected to be part of the cruise fare, then for cruises out of the UK, it should be included in the fare. Otherwise, the cruise line would be contravening UK law which states that compulsory charges are included in the price of goods or services so that consumers are not misled. So it is the cruise line at fault for not accepting that there is a big wide world outside the US which has different customs and practices.

Don't forget that actually a very small percentage of cruisers read Cruise Critic, and may not have any idea that the suggested gratuities are actually part of the service staff pay, and not, as is the practice in the UK and much of Europe, just an extra gift.

if you go to a restaurant you don"t tip the chef or any one else but the wait staff. The restaurants that are not included with the cruise, any bar drinks, coffee, or ice cream that is extra get 18% service charge added. Who gets that money? Isn't a service charge the same as a gratuity? I would much prefer to tip the staff i come in contact with who provide friendly caring service.

Mean and cheap is not being prepared to pay the ship staff a proper wage. In the UK, when we tip, we are really giving a tip, a little extra to say thank you, because the staff have already been paid.

I find the whole idea of exploiting poorly paid service staff by making them rely on handouts from customers, abhorrent and insulting.

I know this is the custom in the US, and I am prepared to accept and comply with it when I am there, but that certainly doesn't mean that I respect it, or those that support it.

If the supposed gratuity is expected to be part of the cruise fare, then for cruises out of the UK, it should be included in the fare. Otherwise, the cruise line would be contravening UK law which states that compulsory charges are included in the price of goods or services so that consumers are not misled. So it is the cruise line at fault for not accepting that there is a big wide world outside the US which has different customs and practices.

Don't forget that actually a very small percentage of cruisers read Cruise Critic, and may not have any idea that the suggested gratuities are actually part of the service staff pay, and not, as is the practice in the UK and much of Europe, just an extra gift.

According to the ncl boards they've already done that for the UK prices. So royal may follow soon?

Though most have said when you compare the UK prices to US even adding in things like the daily charges the UK prices are more. So they complain that ncl used the switch as an opportunity to raise the fares more than just making it inclusive of the total price.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Which was my point. RCI may claim to be an American Company but they choose to register their ships elsewhere for tax purposes. However, they expect their customers to follow the rules of a country which they themselves are avoiding. If I cruise of a RCI ship registered in Liberia from the UK why do I have to follow the rules from the USA?

Its a mute question as I actually pay the auto gratuities and don't remove them.

Which is why the US needs to lower the rate for flagged Ships and require these ship to fly under US flag, which would also be helpful for law enforcement (Ie the creation of a "Sea Marshal program) to enforce American Law on the Ships.

Mike

(Second Generation Law Enforcement Officer)

How come nobody tips Security, Don't the guys work too... How come their not in the tipping pool.??...Just Saying;p

Mike

Whether you're paying a higher price in London or Sydney without tipping or paying a lower price in New York or Toronto with a tip it all evens out. Don't get what the big deal is.
Tipping is the norm in Canada?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well, that's one of the problems. The best way to determine a fair wage is are there those who are willing to work at that wage. Obviously, the current compensation package, wages and tips, fulfills that objective.

Exactly, but you cannot determine if it truly is fair, while it is possible to remove auto tips and you don't have customer contact!

Cheers

The double occupancy capacity of an Oasis class ship is 5400. The daily gratuities are $14.50 (neglecting suites). Do you really think it costs RCCI $ 24,300 per day to administer the auto gratuity program?

It appears that you're trying to justify reducing the cost of cruising by $4.50 PPPD. I think most of those advocating a fair wage paid by the cruise line believe that if the cruise line paid a 'fair wage', they could avoid paying the gratuities.

I told you I wasn't an actuary! :D

I am time poor and don't feel like spending hours working out what the true cost of administering gratuities is. However, whatever that cost it is likely to have been removed by the cruise line prior to dividing up the tips for crew! If the cruise line actuaries have done the calculation, I think $4.50 is probably a bit light on!

To me a fair wage represents an amount (without any form of tips or bonus) that can not be diminished at either the customer's or the cruise line's whim and is considered acceptable to the employee for the work contracted!

Cheers

The current system works and works well in providing a crew focused on providing a good service. What does doing away with auto gratuities accomplish if, at the end of the day, the crew compensation remains the same and the cost to cruise remains the same?

I think it's outrageous for customers to think they can devise a better compensation package. These customers have no idea of what works.

You are aware of the surveys/studies that show that in those areas that have done away with tipping in favor of paying service staff a "fair wage", customers, management, and service staff prefer the tipping system?

If you bothered to absorb what I am saying. The system probably does work well for those frontline staff who have contact with tippers. It does not work for back room crew and rather than guarantee a fair wage, the line asks us to supplement their pay. While this money is captured as a gratuity, it remains at the discretion of the cruise customer to remove or adjust the quantum.

Customers can have business sense too, so how is it outrageous for some of us to have ideas that quite obviously work well in non-tipping cultures!

I am well aware that there are studies and surveys that will demonstrate your point of view or mine! Now run a survey about wage supplementation via tipping with back room staff working in another culture and ask them for their opinion!

Cheers

Tipping is the norm in Canada?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

At least in Ontario, the restaurants that sell booze can have a slightly smaller wage on the assumption that they're tipped. In every restaurant I've been to up there, if you're paying with a card the machine they bring to your table always asks for a tip.

But the difference is much less than in the states. I think the min is like $1.50 less than the regular min wage. Not sure if it's like the states where most only get the min tip wage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sorry i'm late guys. What did I miss? i'll just cover everything so i'm all caught up in the arguements.

I remove gratuities and dont tip extra, wear shorts on formal night. Hate kids on my cruise, love service animals being on board. I'm rude to staff and hog the elivator while wheelchairs are waiting to use it. I like to hog sun loungers even though i'm never at the pool and I use my hands to pick at food at the buffet. Hot tubs are lovely, perfect alternative to toilet paper ;)

Think thats everything hahaha