Passport Question

When going ashore, do people take their original passport or do they just take a copy and leave the original in the room safe?

Most people do neither. They take a drivers license and their ship card.

When going ashore, do people take their original passport or do they just take a copy and leave the original in the room safe?

Normally, we take a copy of our passport and drive license, along with our seapass. We leave our passports in the safe.

I use my passport card as photo ID while ashore and leave my passport book in the safe in our cabin.

This depends on where you’re going. I.e. a tour that takes you into the Yukon Territory specifically says to bring your passport. Otherwise, I leave it in the safe when I go off ship and carry my regular ID—for me that’s a driver’s license.

I ALWAYS have my passport with me. I am not in any habit of "losing" it routinely. It isn't any more valuable than my money, credit cards, license etc. In an emergency- it is essential I have it. A photocopy is just about worthless., it's not accepted everywhere and won't get you home when out of the country. this is my habit that I have maintained over many years- always with me. I'm never scrambling looking for it, or triple checking wondering if I forgot it or where it is. I use neck and waist wallets. IF anything of mine is stolen, I'll manage, I know what needs to be done and have several back ups.

We leave our passports in our safe and take our drivers license. In the past we have also sometimes taken a photocopy of our passports.

Why?

1. We used to take our passports but often do water sports in the Caribbean and found that they got wet in our "waterproof" holder

2. While I'm not too worried about losing them, I am concerned about petty theft

3. I don't anticipate needing my passport in port, we plan our day so that we make it back to the ship in plenty of time. If there's an emergency where we have to fly home, we will return to the ship anyway to get our luggage so can get the passports then. If we miss the ship, we will have enough emergency details to work through, that the passport isn't high on my list. All these things are numbered and electronic, they can be looked up and replaced.

4. I do anticipate needing my passport at the end of the cruise when I return to the US. And since this is a known time I'll need it, I'd prefer to protect it from theft and accidents on the trip and take the tiny risk of missing the ship and unexpectedly needing it.

I bring my passport and my credit card. Once you've watched someone miss the ship (from your balcony), you just do not want to be that guy! That said, if I'm in Alaska (and not crossing in to Canada) or Hawaii, my credit card and picture ID will be sufficient.

I bring my passport and my credit card. Once you've watched someone miss the ship (from your balcony), you just do not want to be that guy! That said, if I'm in Alaska (and not crossing in to Canada) or Hawaii, my credit card and picture ID will be sufficient.

The cruise line will empty your safe and give your stuff to the Port Agent, so there is really never any worry about leaving it on the ship. BUT you should always have the Port Agent's telephone number with you when on land (information is always in the Daily) so you can let them know you are either late or not going to make the ship on time.

The cruise line will empty your safe and give your stuff to the Port Agent, so there is really never any worry about leaving it on the ship. BUT you should always have the Port Agent's telephone number with you when on land (information is always in the Daily) so you can let them know you are either late or not going to make the ship on time.

Great advice! I never thought of that. Thanks.

The cruise lines always claim that they do this, however there are reports of this not happening and people having major issues dealing with travel and return to the US.

Many countries actually require you to carry your passport while in the country, and while people often say it has never been an issue, do you want to be the one to get the guy having a bad day who demands your passport?

Your passport is no more valuable than your camera, phone, or credit cards, worrying that it will be the target of thieves is a foolish when you have other things of value they can convert faster to cash.

Of course, if you only ever get off the ship with an approved and overpriced tour from the ship, you should be OK with nothing but your ship card. If you want to explore on your own, I suggest taking your passport.