Excursions - Princess vs Private

Bignickpsu

We try to always arrange private when we can although on a recent Alaskan we ended up with ship sponsored tours because we booked so very last minute. They were fine too. Alaska especially seems to have a preponderance of ship based tours at similar prices.

But they can do this because they will bring you back to the port in plenty of time.

So what excursions have you booked with Viator?

On our Australian/New Zealand cruise, all of them with the exception of Melbourne because the tour left before we got there so we took a ship's tour. Had obc to burn so no big deal. In Picton,Viator did not have a tour and the ship's tours did not interest us so used it as a day of rest other than a free shuttle ride into town. In Dunedin, Viator's tour was around 1/3 of what the ship wanted. The ship's tour did include a little more but not $200 worth more in our opinion (some food and the train continued on to a little town beyond where our tour turned around and headed back to town. It used the same railroad tracks and the best views were on the front end of the ride which we saw. Our tour included a tour of the town but the ship's did not. In Wellington, we did have to make our way into town to catch the tour but we had planned on time in the town anyway so it was no big deal. The rest of the time, all tours met close to the pier and returned us to the ship.

Prior to embarking, we arranged a land tour of 9 days through Kensington Tours. Their price was very close if not cheaper than Princess pre-cruise but we got nine days vs. 5 days so it wasn't quite as tiring with more time at various sites plus "rest" time built in. They were super easy to work with tailoring it to our wants which involved quite a few changes from what we originally had booked. They took care of us from our departure from home until we embarked in Sydney. The guides were great and went above and beyond on several occasions making dinner reservations, suggesting things that weren't on the schedule but thought we would enjoy (and we did) with all the flights/meet and greets, etc. We flew into Aukland, picked up the cruise in Sydney, disembarked in Aukland to fly home so we only had to buy one roundtrip ticket.

We do a combination of both depending on the port and the tour .....a few years ago we took a ships tour to stingray city ....the catamaran was only half full ....went out and with the stingrays and then to a nice snorkel stop and beach lunch ...That night at dinner a lady behind us was very angry because she took a PRIVATE excursion to stingray city and there were other people out there !!!!! She wanted her money back because she thought she would be by herself in the middle of the ocean with the rays lol So just because they call it private does not mean you will have the Acropolis to yourself ...

Another vote for a little of both. I have taken ship's tours that were identical to ones offered elsewhere. And I have taken ship's tours that were lame, just bus rides trying to kill time. If you choose carefully you can sometimes do just as well as a private tour. Of course, it will be on a big bus full of people versus a van or town car and a small group.

Among the pros of a cruise line tour are that someone else does all the work. I am 65 and my sisters are older. We're not stupid and can certainly read and use the internet. But, there are times when it just seems easier and more relaxed to check a box, pay the fee and go. And I love it when lunch is included.

The private tours I've taken have been great. But, not always less expensive. They often require that you find other passengers to split the cost. If you don't you and your group pay the whole fare. On our last cruise the fare we paid for a private tour (divided by 3) was more or less the same price per person as the ship's tour and infinitely better.

The cruise before that it was just 2 of us and the private tour, which we chose not to share, was by far, the most expensive part of the trip. We loved it, but it wasn't less. Then there was the taxi tour. Caught a taxi for the ride only and the driver quoted us a price for taking us where we were going, waiting and bringing us back. On the way back he took a different route to give us a tour of the area. And all for far less than what we would have paid for the ship's tour.

It really all depends on what you want to do and what your comfort level is for independent travel. By far our most common way of site-seeing at the ports is to just wing it. Find a taxi, take a bus or the ship's shuttle and get in to town. I will have checked out the ports in advance and know more or less where to go to see whatever. And may even have looked up restaurants or just see what we can find. Some of my best memories come from this type of travel.

There is an increasing trend of private tours arranged by passengers who do take a cut/kickback of the price mostly through a "deal" with the tour operator. This is against the policies of most if not all cruise lines. Many of the privately arranged larger group sizes do this. Plus, they cannot offer any insurance for accidents while on tour. Recommend always arrange private tours directly with the local vendor. Stay away from the mega groups.

/quote]

I set up private tours that take a maximum of 8 people and I would never take a kickback. I am also sure based on the small group sizes that the tours I have taken that were arranged by other people do not involve kickbacks.

Even though taking kickbacks should not be done, I do not see how this can be against cruise ship policies. The problem is that sometimes people tried to sell tour shares after they boarded the ship or even worse at a M&G. This practice is strictly against ship policy as it should be.

However, if a person decides to take a kickback on tours that they set up and book ahead of boarding, it is basically none of the ship's business. Reprehensible perhaps but none of the ship's business.

DON

There is an increasing trend of private tours arranged by passengers who do take a cut/kickback of the price mostly through a "deal" with the tour operator. This is against the policies of most if not all cruise lines. Many of the privately arranged larger group sizes do this. Plus, they cannot offer any insurance for accidents while on tour. Recommend always arrange private tours directly with the local vendor. Stay away from the mega groups.

/quote]

I set up private tours that take a maximum of 8 people and I would never take a kickback. I am also sure based on the small group sizes that the tours I have taken that were arranged by other people do not involve kickbacks.

Even though taking kickbacks should not be done, I do not see how this can be against cruise ship policies. The problem is that sometimes people tried to sell tour shares after they boarded the ship or even worse at a M&G. This practice is strictly against ship policy as it should be.

However, if a person decides to take a kickback on tours that they set up and book ahead of boarding, it is basically none of the ship's business. Reprehensible perhaps but none of the ship's business.

DON

I have never taken a “kickback” or any financial benefit from a private tour I have organized. The “payment” for me is securing the tour company/guide I want and having a customized day spent with like-minded travelers.

I have seen people openly collecting money or advertising tours at Meet and Greets, and I cringe every time I see it. I prefer tours where everyone can pay the vendor directly, but even on the occasions where I’ve had to handle the money I would never think of doing it at a ship sponsored event! To me, that’s just tacky.[emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Relatively new to cruising and taking the Caribbean Princess at the end of July. Any advice on booking excursions? Pros and cons of Princess vs private? I've only been on one cruise before and the people we were with booked the excursions for us.

If you're adventurous try private but it may be more relaxing to go on a Princess excursion.

/quote]

DON

I arranged a tour and did not take a kickback. I had everyone pay their potion of the tour directly to the tour provider. I figured a couple of people whose tours I joined were getting a kickback. I was glad they organized the trip and it was cheaper than the ship. They asked to have the money sent to them rather than having us pay the tour company directly. I thought that was fishy lol.

The problem is that sometimes people tried to sell tour shares after they boarded the ship or even worse at a M&G. This practice is strictly against ship policy as it should be.

Even though the cruise contract prohibits "selling" private tour spots while on board, I have found on some cruises that the staff is very helpful to a private tour group. One instance I remember was at a Asian port that required tendering. Ship staff arranged for our group of 25 people to be on the first passenger tender going ashore.

Even though the cruise contract prohibits "selling" private tour spots while on board, I have found on some cruises that the staff is very helpful to a private tour group. One instance I remember was at a Asian port that required tendering. Ship staff arranged for our group of 25 people to be on the first passenger tender going ashore.

We had the same experience on the Star at the Falklands.

I arranged a tour and did not take a kickback. I had everyone pay their potion of the tour directly to the tour provider. I figured a couple of people whose tours I joined were getting a kickback. I was glad they organized the trip and it was cheaper than the ship. They asked to have the money sent to them rather than having us pay the tour company directly. I thought that was fishy lol.

We do almost all private tours and when I set one up everyone pays the provider. If a discount we all share it. When we go with others and they arrange the trip that is how they do it.

Have seen individuals ask you to pay direct to them and in some cases believe they are making money off of the excursion and will not go with them again.

/quote]

DON

Don,

Privately arranged tours through a local tour company comprising 8 or less passengers is the norm. Cruise lines do not have a concern, other than arranging payments during M&Gs. etc., with these small groups.

We had reservations (no longer) on a ship cruising north from Santiago, Chile for next year. One "guest" was arranging 80-100 person sized tours in many of the ports of call. Purely a profit venture using the ship as his base of operations, and boasting that he does this on all cruises. While not a maritime lawyer, I can see where a cruise line would NOT be happy with this type of business using their facilities as the base. The cruise ticket reminds passengers that they can be marched off the ship for any type of inappropriate behavior.

We do almost all private tours and when I set one up everyone pays the provider. If a discount we all share it. When we go with others and they arrange the trip that is how they do it.

Have seen individuals ask you to pay direct to them and in some cases believe they are making money off of the excursion and will not go with them again.

Somebody having you pay them instead of the provider doesn’t always mean the organizer is getting a deal or a kickback. I organized tours in almost every port for our upcoming British Isles cruise. One guide I really wanted required payment at the time of booking' date=' so I paid and will get reimbursed.

I try to be pretty transparent when dealing with other people’s money, and I always provide links directly to a vendor so people can see for themselves what the cost is. I agree...I would not want to tour with a roll call member who was trying to profit off of me.

I wouldn't go on "private" excursion with 80-100 people anyways. It is not private. 80-100 people will probably be the same as ships tours ... tons of waiting time. And they won't possibly have the same preferences

I wouldn't go on "private" excursion with 80-100 people anyways. It is not private. 80-100 people will probably be the same as ships tours ... tons of waiting time. And they won't possibly have the same preferences

But some people it is simply the cost. And so many on CC speak so negatively about the ship excursions that new comers don't know any better.

People can take kick backs even if you do pay the vendor directly, beware of anyone who states make sure to tell the vendor you are in "Joe's" Group. Of course I am assuming when someone is asking me to do this, that is so all the CC people can be put in the same Van, but not so from my experience.

I really do not care about someone getting a free excursion for the work they have put forth...just be up front about it.

Many organizers do split any discount given from a vendor.

As others mentioned the ship will help coordinate small private groups to tender.

When we were in the Falklands though, even with priority....we still had to wait for stragglers. Also in the Falklands everyone wants off at the same time.

Most in our CC group booked Patrick Watts..he had our CC group besides a group of 8 Japanese speakers that we waited for.....so best laid plans seem to always be delayed.....But no worries, we had a beautiful day, that's one place when you embark that there is a mile line....

I believe there is no right answer to this query...For me right now, Princess excursions are easier....that is the Main reason we selected to cruise on our honeymoon 35 years ago...the ease....I greatly appreciate those who offer other options on my roll calls and many times I have participated.

But to say to someone who is new to cruising that the cruise line excursions are a rip off...is certainly untrue...

I often feel those who say this have just started cruising in the last 10 years or experience with itineraries and using the ship excursions is very narrow. Many already have a group of 4 or 6 and would like to add another couple or 2...to cut costs so again not much risk. Also some luck out..they get with a great CC group where many are organizing excursions and are able to benefit from others hard work.

Most who have cruised awhile and do more exotic places see the benefit of using both options. I certainly do....

Edited by land lover

Our first two private tours happened on my second, my husband's first cruise in 2004..

I just couldn't justify paying $80 more pp for 2 people to be in a group of 45 vs group of 6 which we found on CC for Rome (And another for Florence/Pisa)

We didn't want to take trains and do it completely on our own, so private tour was an obvious choice for us.

It was cost first, but when we saw poor people from the bus having to walk everywhere for 8 hours it became even more obvious.

But at that time companies were at least charging more or less reasonable prices for city tours. $40-50... Now it's usually over $100...

We do occasional ship's tour in poor countries if we are there for the first time if prices are reasonable. For example $44 for catamaran snorkeling and a beach in Grenada and $64 for 6 hours tour with a beach in Dominica were pretty good.

Also very often ship tours are short... like 3 hours with some time spent in local stores (we don't shop on cruises!)

I like to pay the provider directly with a credit card. My card provides insurance. When I plan tours I always have the others pay the provider directly. I don’t want to be responsible for their money . The benefit to me is that I chose the tour that I wanted. However' date=' if someone puts a tour on CC and I like the itinerary and the price, then I’ll send a check if requested . Fortunately,we’ve never been burned. We’ve also been lucky that the people we toured with have been very nice. With a small group, one rude person or couple could potentially ruin the tour.

River cruises and Regent include tours. There is nothing wrong with ship tours. They are just larger and can’t be individualized. We happen to have lots of OBC on our next cruise and we’re taking ship tours. There is no definitive answer, both have benefits and drawbacks.

One reason someone might want the tour price up front is to make sure they will follow through particularly if it is an expensive one and they have to pay up front. . A person could wake up that morning not liking the weather, hung over, tired, sick, etc. and decide to not come and then you are stuck if you have already paid for x people (or contracted for x people) and fewer show up.

I know of one individual who has cruised many times on our trans-Atlantics and other cruises (not with us or our group) who sets up buses to take you from the port to the airport. I am pretty sure he is making enough money off of it to pay for his cruise because he has had multiple buses lined up on occasion. I will give him credit, he is cheaper than the ship, he organizes them well, and I've never heard anyone complaining. I have a feeling some of you might know of him as he cruises a lot.. I'll give you a hint--orders a lot of food every meal (lol).

I have set up shuttle service with "strangers" in Rome to the airport to fill out a van but I know they have to get to the airport so I'm fairly confident they will show up., I've dealt with the shuttle service several times and never had a problem, and much cheaper than what the cruise line wants like $20 a person.

Other tours I have set up have been with 80 percent friends and only needed two or four people to fill it out. If they are people I do not know outside my group, I ask for payment in cash 24 hours ahead of time which I will give back to them when we go on the tour.

I agree with some of the other posts. Your decision on whether to book a ship excursion or a private excursion depends on you and the circumstances.

If you're a "Nervous Nellie", book everything through the ship. You won't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time. But you will also deal with being part of a larger group for a less personalized tour at a much higher cost.

If you want a better tour for less money, check out the CC port threads for each port for recommendations. Research these and compare details & prices to what's offered by the ship. Also, check out Viator or search Goggle "cruise ship excursions" for the port.

We usually book independently (after much research) because we not only save $$$$ but also tend to get a much better tour compared to what the ship offers. But sometimes there are time restraints or available OBC that make booking a ship excursion the best alternative.

Obvious views as expressed by a cruise line, absolute rubbish mostly. I should have stopped reading early in the article when I read (quote) "For veteran cruise passengers, the go-to options are shore excursions offered by cruise lines". Oh really - experienced cruise passengers would generally explore all options especially private excursions.

Obvious views as expressed by a cruise line, absolute rubbish mostly. I should have stopped reading early in the article when I read (quote) "For veteran cruise passengers, the go-to options are shore excursions offered by cruise lines". Oh really - experienced cruise passengers would generally explore all options especially private excursions.
100% correct.

If you're a "Nervous Nellie", book everything through the ship. You won't have to worry about getting back to the ship on time. But you will also deal with being part of a larger group for a less personalized tour at a much higher cost.

Nervous Nellie, that's me! We generally book all of our excursions through the ship. One time in St. Thomas, our excursion was cancelled due to rough water and we took a taxi to Coki Beach. It was beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed it, but I was nervous about getting back to the ship on time! We have met some wonderful crew members (working for the excursion) along the way, who went out of their way to make sure we had a good time :)

The worst excursion I have ever participated in was a private one for 8 people. What made it so bad was that the couple that organized it felt that they had total control over the tour and deviated substantially from the stated route, without bothering to ask any of the other paying participants.

Nervous Nellie, that's me! We generally book all of our excursions through the ship. One time in St. Thomas, our excursion was cancelled due to rough water and we took a taxi to Coki Beach. It was beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed it, but I was nervous about getting back to the ship on time! We have met some wonderful crew members (working for the excursion) along the way, who went out of their way to make sure we had a good time :)

lol. My DH is a Nervous Nellie but somehow he is OK with me booking our excursions privately since he knows that I do a lot of research before booking. Heaven help me if we ever miss the ship. lol