Reusable water bottles - recommendations

MyTMo777

Anyone have a favourite reusable water bottle they like for cruising, especially to take on land on port days? I was originally thinking of those collapsible kind, but then thought an insulated one might be nice. I like the idea of keeping the water cold, but also don't like the idea of packing it around with me. Suggestions?

I bought one a few years ago that's made by Stanley, the same company that makes coffee thermos bottles. Just like the coffee thermoses, the water bottle is made of insulated steel. It will definitely keep ice water cold for an extended period of time. However, even empty, the bottle is a little heavy. After it's filled with ice and water, it feels like it weighs 10 lbs. It's not too bad for backpacking through the woods for a couple of miles here at home, but not the best option when walking around in port for a few hours.

I have a camelbak that is my go-to. The whole top screws off so you can easily put ice in it and refill, but there's a smaller drink spout with its own screw on top so I'm not getting water everywhere when I drink. The stainless steel insulated cups are far better than the plastic ones. I've since bought other stainless steel bottles that I also use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree get one with the wide mouth so you can add ice & one that hold 1-2 L

We have CamelBak they seem to work fine

I hate lugging them around so take a backpack or tote bag

I wouldn't buy an expensive bottle. The port in Seattle made me throw mine away, even though it was empty. :mad:

That seems odd. I've never heard of that happening at any other port. Does Seattle's port have mindless robots working there?

I wouldn't buy an expensive bottle. The port in Seattle made me throw mine away, even though it was empty. :mad:

WOW

Was it the cruise line personnel or the port people?

We like the steel insulated bottles with a fully sealable lid - our daughter uses them every day for school and summer day camp and they get banged up and lost so we don't spend a ton of $$ - we watch for good deals and then get 2 or 3 at a time for generally less than ten bucks each. Good for water or the free punch-lemondade drinks from the buffet during the day. Also we like to fill it up with coffee before bed so we can enjoy the first cup bleary eyed in our jamms in the room whenever we wake up.

That seems odd. I've never heard of that happening at any other port. Does Seattle's port have mindless robots working there?

WOW

Was it the cruise line personnel or the port people?

I've never had it happen before either. I was very surprised. I guess it was the port people. They took it when we went through the screening in the port building. She took it out of my bag, opened it, looked at me and threw it in the trash bin. I asked and all she said was that it was not allowed.

I've never had it happen before either. I was very surprised. I guess it was the port people. They took it when we went through the screening in the port building. She took it out of my bag, opened it, looked at me and threw it in the trash bin. I asked and all she said was that it was not allowed.

OMG

I would have called a supervisor

what difference could it make if it was empty

some people take their job too seriously

Has anyone tried the collapsible reusable water bottles ? I think it would be easier for travel, but have never tried one. Recommendations ???

https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-Reusable-Bottle-Carabiner-Activiva/dp/B01KP63N5C/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1528748460&sr=8-8&keywords=reusable+water+bag

We had a Platypus 1-2 L size (similar to those but larger )

It works fine

downside you cannot put ice in it to keep it cold all day

but those smaller ones would be good to tote around

You are sort of over stressing on a water battle issue. Just go to your local outdoor supply store and pick one that you like. They all work and vary in price from $5 to $25.

DON

Agree 100%. Though I 'm not sure I would even do that. With all the free promo bottles I have received over the last few years from running (half marathons/10 and 5k's) I would just grab one of those and go.

We use Contigo stainless steel bottles. They have a wide-mouth and the removable top can be locked so it doesn't leak. They aren't too heavy and keep drinks cold or hot for a long time, even in the Caribbean sun.

That's odd - I brought a Contigo with me in my carry on last September and they didn't say a thing about it.

I appreciate the suggestions! I hadn't thought about making sure the mouth was wide enough for ice, and it's good to know Contigo isn't too heavy. I usually have a backpack in port, so that should work. I think I'd rather have one that keeps things cold than a collapsible one, even if it's lighter and more compact.

And I'm not stressing at all :) It's actually part of the fun of planning for my next cruise and trying to improve on things I wish I'd done differently from the last one. Thanks, everyone!