Power strip allowed on Princess?

mahondi

Trying to organize dos and don'ts for upcoming cruise in July. I have taken my power strip on Carnival and NCL. Is there going to be an issue when I board the Caribbean Princess with my power strip?

Not an issue as long as it DOES NOT have a surge suppressor built into it. Then they may not allow you to use it and confiscate it until the last night. Get just a plan strip and there should be no problem. We use one all the time.

If you have to buy a new one, I got mine at Target for about $4 that holds three plugs. Two on one side and one on the other. It's not a big long power strip but it has enough length to help out. I had been looking on Amazon but I kept getting frustrated because even though you type in no surge protector, it's still a computer and it sees the word surge protector and brings you ones with them. So you have to go through all of the results.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

You can find them online just google power strips without surge protectors. You most likely will not find them at Lowe's or Home Depot (I have never found them there).

I found mine at Big Lots, it also has 2 USB ports in it. Says right on the back of it "nonsurge."

Pretty much any power strip without a fuse button on on off switch is a non-surge power strip.

Another thing that works is a couple of extension cords. Just beware of three prong plugs you need to plug in. Is so, make sure you have the appropriate extension cord.

One thing to avoid is power strips with right angle plugs. In the US it is standard to mount the receptacle on the wall such that the two parallel slots are on the top and the round hole is on the bottom. The right angle plugs fit nicely and don't protrude out with an ugly cable.

On the ship the outlets are mounted such that the two parallel slots are on the bottom and the round hole is on the top. Right angle plugs must then be inserted upside down with the cord pointing up This means the cord must make a 180 degree arch before returning to the table.

Moral is to stay away from anything with a right angle plug on the ship.

I've purchased this one also as the cord is long enough to reach from behind the TV.

How does one plug the cord into the outlet behind the TV when the TV is mounted to the wall? Just wondering. :confused:

Trying to organize dos and don'ts for upcoming cruise in July. I have taken my power strip on Carnival and NCL. Is there going to be an issue when I board the Caribbean Princess with my power strip?

Yes but as others have said, no surge suppressor.....:):):)

Bob

In rooms where the tv is on a shelf above the frig, there is an outlet behind the tv.

On ships being upgraded to the larger (on demand) TV capabilities, the new screens completely block access to that outlet in most staterooms.

Best bet: Bring a triple-tap extension cord and avoid the whole issue: fire-in-your-cabin risk and all.

(The fire risk comes from the fact that ships are wired differently than is done ashore)

Edited by Haboob

On the ship the outlets are mounted such that the two parallel slots are on the bottom and the round hole is on the top. Right angle plugs must then be inserted upside down with the cord pointing up This means the cord must make a 180 degree arch before returning to the table.

So??? Does the electricity slow down because it is going up hill? :confused:

On our last Princess cruise the cabin steward told us we were not allowed to use it because it hadnt been tested by Princess and may be a fire risk but we had used it on previous cruises.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

The steward may have thought it had a surge suppressor built in.

I use this one. Works well for my digital clock, IPhone and camera chargers and night light.

Monster MP OTG400 BK Outlets To Go Power Strip - 4 AC Outlets - Black

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9YN2M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

37877983055_7cb6a71bfc_b.jpgPower Strip

Don't forget night lights unless you don't mind turning on the lights to go to the bathroom

26989064229_b12f116dc1_b.jpgRoyal Princess Bathroom Night Light

Howard