Cozumel port busted me....sad face...

Have encountered the dogs on the pier at cozumel a few times. I have seen dog sit in front of a passenger and there was fresh food on the person. I do not believe they were drug sniffing dogs.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Agree, for food...

The rules are anything BUT silly. They are in place to protect a country's environment from invasive species that can cause, for example, extreme harm to food crops which impacts a country or even a region's economy.

Not from baked goods, from fruit (fruit flies) for example. If they were a problem, they wouldn't allow packaged baked goods in either. Didn't say anything about fruit or vegetables. We were talking cookies, croissants here............

Please Google med fly to learn about invasive species and how people and other living things can be harmed by not following rules of agriculture, etc.

Don't need to, I already know all about it. Besides, my comments were meant to be taken tongue in cheek, guess it was too subtle for you.............:rolleyes:

?????????

You've never heard about the "Magic Rocks" on a beach in St John NB. We hadn't either until our private guide from Dave's Taxi Tour took us to this beach. The rocks are beautiful with a distinctive line (s) through them. Story is to find ones that have the black line that runs all the way through them...we found a couple that where heart shaped. Apparently this is a thing tourists look for on this specific beach.

Edited by Ashland

I've always wondered about these silly rules. People have been picking up shells on the beach at Pensicola for 200 yrs and they're still all over the place....like people could deplete the supply???:rolleyes: That goes for sea glass too....I would consider that garbage that shouldn't be there in the first place. As for cookies???? I really don't get baked goods that have been sanitized by baking as a serious threat to Cozumel. Just another control issue IMHO., And yet the dogs are all over ya....Last trip they took my croissants in a baggie...hope the dog liked them!

And for anyone who likes sea glass, Krylon now has a spray paint that conforms any glass item into sea glass. Neat stuff!

Seaglass beach in Bermuda has signs up about not taking the glass, it was getting very depleted.

Just to clarify: you cannot bring ANY food on or off the ship OR you can ONLY bring prepackaged foods on and off the ship?

I have previously read that prepackaged foods were okay, but am confused by this thread. When you have someone in your group with food allergies (or automimmune disorders like celiac disease) that restrict their diet, the access to prepackaged food off the ship is crucial. Not all ports have safe, allergen free, food options.

You can take prepacked food on and off the ship.

One time at Cozumel I purchase a Dutch cheese, the Mexican dogs was crazy when they sniffed it, police think ed I was bringing drugs to the ship. This kind of cheese is permitted.

I remember a land vacation in Aruba and a couple sitting there eating dutch cheese because they could not take it with them. Dang...they bought a big wheel of that cheese. They could still be there eating that cheese!

You can take prepacked food on and off the ship.

Not entirely so. Depends upon the country. In most they restrict fresh food, fruits, vegetables and meat. However, in some countries the rules are NO ship board food (a couple of years ago New Zealand was not allowing any food off and had beagles checking the passengers). As always the ship will announce the rules for the particular country. Follow whatever the posted rules are.

I brought sand back from Bermuda. A girl in line in front of us had an entire 32 oz cup full of it, and they made her throw it in the trash. I had probably less than an ounce of it wrapped up in a little piece of plastic and they didn't notice.

Next up: Omaha Beach. Anybody have any experience getting sand from here? Anything specific I should know?

One of the first things I learned when traveling abroad was that I am a Guest in the home country and I should act like a guest. I am also an Ambassador of my country and I should act like one.

Take only pictures

Leave only footprints.

Are some of you telling me that if you went over to your Gma's house and her rules were that you had to remove your shoe's,,, you'd just ignore her because you know better?

Edited by klfrodo

The rules are anything BUT silly. They are in place to protect a country's environment from invasive species that can cause, for example, extreme harm to food crops which impacts a country or even a region's economy.

Some rules may protect a country's environment and that is good. Other rules are created to line the cruise line's pockets. Why shouldn't we bring water, soda, or beer on board?

Some rules may protect a country's environment and that is good. Other rules are created to line the cruise line's pockets. Why shouldn't we bring water, soda, or beer on board?

For the same reason movie theaters don't let you bring food or drinks in.

Would you bring water, soda or beer into a restaurant on land that sells it?

You take your bacon and eggs to the restaurant and ask them to cook it up for you?

You take your oil and filter to the car repair shop and ask them to change your oil?

That is a different discussion. Port rules are set by the country of entry.

You take your bacon and eggs to the restaurant and ask them to cook it up for you?

You take your oil and filter to the car repair shop and ask them to change your oil?

The food - no. The oil and filter, that depends on the vehicle. There are some cars on the road that where not born or sold here.