My robot bartender want a tip??

Whatever you say:rolleyes:

Yep I fully agree with RCI´s business practice here and thanks for the offer on the used car, but I don´t buy used cars.

If you don´t think this is good business practice you should vote with your wallet and not cruise on RCI. Or as others suggested just not use the bionic bar.

Instead of being snarky and contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation, you could try to open your eyes to the big picture.

Why would paying guests defend this business practice?

Here's a better one; on Carnival some ships have a Pour Your Own Beer station and it charges by the ounce; and they charge gratuity on that. You literally take a cup and serve yourself and have to pay THEM a gratuity.

I agree. The point I was trying to make is that being unhappy about the fee doesn't make one "cheap." It means that they are a consumer that is paying attention to where there money is going and questioning it. Consumer awareness is a good thing.

It's just unfortunate as it makes it harder for the consumer to shop around to get the "true" price for their vacation.

No doubt, however to be concerned about 18% on a $13 drink (around $2) that you buy from a robot bartender probably once on a cruise just for the novelty of it when you’ve just spent how many thousands on that cruise is going a little overboard with the consumer awareness.

So True. Why don't we tip at grocery and mega stores? Someone has to stock the shelves there too. Great point.

You know - excellent point, I always try to make. I am a cashier in a store and I bag your groceries - why don't I get tipped for that service? I even help load them into your cart.

I am utterly amazed at the need for people to be tipped for doing their job. Just a ridiculous concept that has gotten way out of hand.

No doubt, however to be concerned about 18% on a $13 drink (around $2) that you buy from a robot bartender probably once on a cruise just for the novelty of it when you’ve just spent how many thousands on that cruise is going a little overboard with the consumer awareness.

A few dollars here and there add up. ATT just recently quietly raised their "administrative fee" that they charge every customer from $1.26 to $1.99. It's less than a buck every month, no big deal, right? That extra fee translates into just shy of an extra $1 BILLION in annual revenue for ATT. What does the consumer get for that extra $1 BILLION? I think you can guess the answer to that.

But alas, we Americans have been trained to never question moves like this by big corporations. Just shut-up and open your wallet.

I've always been irked when a company banks on customer laziness, apathy, or ignorance. I don't mind paying fair prices for product, I don't mind paying for services, and I know vacation is not the same as staying home and DIY. But charging me a service charge for a vending machine is insulting to customer intelligence. One of the defensive points is it is a small amount of money. If the amount is so small, why bother? Leave it with the consumer. ;)

Instead of being snarky and contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation, you could try to open your eyes to the big picture.

I´m not being snarky at all. I just point out my opinion about the topic. Yeah it´s obviously quite the opposite of yours.

IMO you are the one not having your eyes open to the big picture.

For the single customer it´s just a little change, for the corporation it´s big bucks.

Well I guess you´ve already figured out I don´t give a s*** about the single customer and all the hye about consumer rights.

I´m all for the big corporations and their shareholders make as many bucks as they can. As long as they can come up with new ideas without losing customers. More power to them. That´s the big picture, not some person wanting a drink and buying from the bionic bar instead of a regular bar paying the same amount as in both drinks a service charge/gratuity or whatever you call it is included.

A few dollars here and there add up. ATT just recently quietly raised their "administrative fee" that they charge every customer from $1.26 to $1.99. It's less than a buck every month, no big deal, right? That extra fee translates into just shy of an extra $1 BILLION in annual revenue for ATT. What does the consumer get for that extra $1 BILLION? I think you can guess the answer to that.

But alas, we Americans have been trained to never question moves like this by big corporations. Just shut-up and open your wallet.

Anything wrong there?:confused:

I've always been irked when a company banks on customer laziness, apathy, or ignorance. I don't mind paying fair prices for product, I don't mind paying for services, and I know vacation is not the same as staying home and DIY. But charging me a service charge for a vending machine is insulting to customer intelligence. One of the defensive points is it is a small amount of money. If the amount is so small, why bother? Leave it with the consumer. ;)

Obviously it doesn’t bother you enough to stop cruising with Royal.

I can just see it now, if they didn’t charge the gratuity at the bionic bar there would be a lineup halfway down the promenade with everyone lined up to save their 2 bucks.:D

I'm not cheap and I tip quite well.

However, I think it's very reasonable for one to be unhappy about having to tip a vending machine. I don't tip vending machines on land. Why should I have to on a ship? And where does it end? I think that's the main issue. Will we eventually have to start tipping the salaried crew members like the captain?

I saw a poster mentioned that the "tips" supposedly go to a crew "welfare fund." Here's a novel idea: Perhaps the cruise line should should take care of "welfare" for their employees in times of emergencies? The company I work for does. Now obviously, that cost ultimately gets passed on to the customer. And that's fine. But things like that should be factored into the fare. Not with a surcharge to the passenger. A surcharge that one cannot plan for when pricing out their vacation, unless of course they have been on the ship in the past and are aware that they will also be required to tip vending machines. The vast majority of the population would not expect to incur such a charge.

Deceptive "gratuities" like this allow the cruise line to keep fares low while hiding the actual cost of the trip to the customer. If you think that's a good business practice, I've got a used car to sell you.

Don't take it personal, the 'cheap guy' comment came from a poster that has a history of name calling and insulting other posters he/she doesn't agree with. You're just one of many. Like the 18% gratuity/fee/service charge, the insulter isn't going away anytime soon either.

Think of the self serve wine and soda stations as similar to a supermarket’s self-checkout. These are for shoppers who just want to get their few items quickly and don’t care about service. No discount is involved in using these rather than going to a manned checkout line.

Those who prefer the bar experience enjoy being served by a bartender who remembers their name and drink, is witty and entertaining, and generally takes care of you and makes you feel special. The bar ambience is important to us and I enjoy being served by a professional. The bionic bar is simply a gimmick and I would not care to use it, tip or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why would paying guests defend this business practice?

Here's a better one; on Carnival some ships have a Pour Your Own Beer station and it charges by the ounce; and they charge gratuity on that. You literally take a cup and serve yourself and have to pay THEM a gratuity.

Ticketmaster used to charge a fee for printing tickets yourself. Your paper, your ink, but more money in TM’s pocket.

I am constantly amazed at the sheer number of complaints of cruise companies only "out to make money and fleece us poor cruisers" You know what the tipping policy is, if you don't want to abide by it then the solution is easy, don't go on a cruise!!

You know what the tipping policy is, if you don't want to abide by it then the solution is easy, don't go on a cruise!!

If it weren’t for these forums, no I wouldn’t have been aware that a vending machine works for tips. Maybe I’ll get another surprise on my next cruise and learn that the vacuum machine also wants a tip. Would it catch you off card if the soda machine in your office building charged you an 18% tip? After all, they’re just trying to make money, right?

The point I was trying to make is...where does it end? Will we soon have to start tipping salaried employees like the Captain? Heck, maybe we should start tipping the guys at security with the metal detection wands at the port too, right?

I guess time will tell. ;)

The last I heard was that all of the gratuities from the Bionic Bar go to the “crew welfare fund” that is set up to help out crew in the event of an emergency.

They used to tell us proceeds from the lottery benefited Education. We bought that for years too.

I am constantly amazed at the sheer number of complaints of cruise companies only "out to make money and fleece us poor cruisers" You know what the tipping policy is, if you don't want to abide by it then the solution is easy, don't go on a cruise!!

You're amazed some of us don't wet our pants in excitement to be blatantly ripped off?

I'm amazed people line up in rapture to pay as much as they possibly can.

We were frequent users of the bionic bar on Ovation. Yes, there is an attendant whose job includes restocking. It also includes showing people how to use the iPads to order, wiping the bar down, scheduling the ‘dance’ displays and chatting to customers like any other bartender would. It was our favourite bar and Jason was our favourite bartender of the entire trip.