Confirmed! Prinsendam has been sold! (4 threads merged)

cRocky42

Do we really expect this to be true? Has this historically been an issue when HAL has sold off a ship?

And if this sale is indeed a fact, when might we expect HAL to actually say something about it?

I have never sailed a HAL that was being truly sold to another Company. But, when I sailed on the Statendam during her final HAL cruise, she was in pristine condition as far as I was concerned. But, that was a transfer within the Carnival Corporate umbrella to P & O Australia.

I did sail on Rotterdam V after it was announced that she was going to be retired. I don't recall if her future had been determined. But, she was still the Rotterdam V that I knew and love, love still to this day. Up-keep was well maintained.

I've been on the Prinsendam enough with various captains that I think I can safely say that the crew is going to take DAM good care of her.

Every captain I have had on that ship want this ship to sparkle. She might not be brand new but that rosewood in the PG, Ocean Bar, cabins, etc still gleams.

I highly doubt they will let the ship slide no matter what a certain disgruntled ex HAL employee might say. He's certainly entitled to his opinon as am I.

I've been on the Prinsendam enough with various captains that I think I can safely say that the crew is going to take DAM good care of her.

Every captain I have had on that ship want this ship to sparkle. She might not be brand new but that rosewood in the PG, Ocean Bar, cabins, etc still gleams.

I highly doubt they will let the ship slide no matter what a certain disgruntled ex HAL employee might say. He's certainly entitled to his opinon as am I.

No "like" button on CC of which I am aware. But, I most surely LIKE your post!

Employee "knowledge" may be genuine. But, it may surely not be as well!

I have never sailed a HAL that was being truly sold to another Company. But, when I sailed on the Statendam during her final HAL cruise, she was in pristine condition as far as I was concerned. But, that was a transfer within the Carnival Corporate umbrella to P & O Australia.

Well, we did miss one port, Chuuk, because of technical difficulties with one of the engines ... but you are right about the passenger areas.

We were on that cruise also and agree with your comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately, over the coming months you will be seeing more and more technical issues on Prinsendam, and fewer and fewer fixes.
I understand that you are referring to technical issues, rather than regular upkeep.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Do we really expect this to be true? Has this historically been an issue when HAL has sold off a ship?

And if this sale is indeed a fact, when might we expect HAL to actually say something about it?

No, I don't expect it to be true at all.

The Prinsendam is scheduled for drydock at the end of 2018. She also has to undergo several special tests as she is turning 30. It includes the hull and technical workings.

She was a quality build so I am anticipating no issues, but she should be in fine shape (and checked) for 2019 ;)

My guess would be that the sale is contingent on the outcome of the 30 year inspection. I don't expect HAL would announce anything until January at the earliest.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Forums mobile app

My guess would be that the sale is contingent on the outcome of the 30 year inspection. I don't expect HAL would announce anything until January at the earliest.

Just curious, but what actually happens if she fails her August inspection? Assuming she fails for a significant hull related reason, does HAL then cancel all of her future cruises until the problem(s) are fixed? Of course if the problems are fixed, wouldn’t the sale then press forward?

That is my thought as well. I suspect if there is a sale, it is a condition of the sale.

Just curious, but what actually happens if she fails her August inspection? Assuming she fails for a significant hull related reason, does HAL then cancel all of her future cruises until the problem(s) are fixed? Of course if the problems are fixed, wouldn’t the sale then press forward?

I thought her hull inspection was later than August. She wasn't completed until late 1998 when she did her inaugural sailing.

Captain Dag was asked about the hull inspection at our "Ask the Captain session". He had no concerns at all because of the quality of the build.

I thought her hull inspection was later than August. She wasn't completed until late 1998 when she did her inaugural sailing.

Captain Dag was asked about the hull inspection at our "Ask the Captain session". He had no concerns at all because of the quality of the build.

It probably is. I just remember somewhere early in this thread that August was mentioned. Maybe it was in 2019. In any event I’m sure she will pass with flying colors.

Well, we did miss one port, Chuuk, because of technical difficulties with one of the engines ... but you are right about the passenger areas.

I had forgotten about missing a port. There were so many other interesting ports that missing one became unimportant to me, I guess.

That was such a really great cruise! HAL went all out in every guest related area, as far as I am concerned.

I have no control on whether she is sold or not. We are booked on her for 32 days in 2019 which could very well be her next to last cruise with Hal.

If it’s true that she is leaving the Fleet then this is going to be a very special cruise for us.

I have no control on whether she is sold or not. We are booked on her for 32 days in 2019 which could very well be her next to last cruise with Hal.

If it’s true that she is leaving the Fleet then this is going to be a very special cruise for us.

Chief,

If your cruise turns out to be her final HAL cruise, you will experience the same emotions that many of us felt when we sailed on the Statendam's final HAL voyage. It will be a memorable experience!

Chief,

If your cruise turns out to be her final HAL cruise, you will experience the same emotions that many of us felt when we sailed on the Statendam's final HAL voyage. It will be a memorable experience!

We're booked on what would be the last trans Atlantic. The final cruise would be the Amazon cruise. It will be rather sad.

We're booked on what would be the last trans Atlantic. The final cruise would be the Amazon cruise. It will be rather sad.

No! Don't expect such! If HAL does what they did for us on the Statendam, it will be melancholy at times. But, as I said, HAL pulled out all of the stops for this cruise.

The Statendam's guest on-board program exceeded anything that I have experienced on HAL for a long time. A very and well known Senior Hotel Manager was aboard. Service was exemplary everywhere on the ship. Cuisine/menus was interesting and the food very well prepared. Entertainment was a step above what I had experienced on my prior Statendam cruise. Captain Norman required a Third Officer and two Deck Cadets and one Engine Room Cadet to conduct at sea presentations for those of us who were interested in their presentations. (The first presentation was so large that their other presentations had to be done in the Wajang Theater.) Truly, it was a most unique cruise!

I would encourage you to expect the same, if, indeed, your cruises are the final ones for Prinsendam II.

No! Don't expect such! If HAL does what they did for us on the Statendam, it will be melancholy at times. But, as I said, HAL pulled out all of the stops for this cruise.

The Statendam's guest on-board program exceeded anything that I have experienced on HAL for a long time. A very and well known Senior Hotel Manager was aboard. Service was exemplary everywhere on the ship. Cuisine/menus was interesting and the food very well prepared. Entertainment was a step above what I had experienced on my prior Statendam cruise. Captain Norman required a Third Officer and two Deck Cadets and one Engine Room Cadet to conduct at sea presentations for those of us who were interested in their presentations. (The first presentation was so large that their other presentations had to be done in the Wajang Theater.) Truly, it was a most unique cruise!

I would encourage you to expect the same, if, indeed, your cruises are the final ones for Prinsendam II.

Well put. The cadet presentations were super!

I had forgotten about missing a port. There were so many other interesting ports that missing one became unimportant to me, I guess.

That was such a really great cruise! HAL went all out in every guest related area, as far as I am concerned.

They were. I would do that cruise again in a heartbeat. Chuuk or no Chuuk.

Here, here! We were on that one as well-- Fond memories of the HAL employees on shore for our sailaway as well as the fire boats on a spectacular afternoon.

We were upset that staff was removing the "first sailed to" plaques from the walls on day 2 until we found out that they would be auctioned off for charity. I'm looking at the "Madang Papua New Guinea -- February 14, 1994" framed plaque in our dining room as I write this. We got into a bidding war with a man over the Alaska gold pan.

Another memory was all of the decorations--EVERY night in the MDR. It was a great trip!!!!

Here, here! We were on that one as well-- Fond memories of the HAL employees on shore for our sailaway as well as the fire boats on a spectacular afternoon.

We were upset that staff was removing the "first sailed to" plaques from the walls on day 2 until we found out that they would be auctioned off for charity. I'm looking at the "Madang Papua New Guinea -- February 14, 1994" framed plaque in our dining room as I write this. We got into a bidding war with a man over the Alaska gold pan.

Another memory was all of the decorations--EVERY night in the MDR. It was a great trip!!!!

I bought the ones for St Malo (France) and for Guatemala. I just wanted at least one but could not be there for the auction's end because of trivia, so put in bids on five and hoped. I did hear that the crew practically had to force the clipboards away from those bidding on popular ports. I paid $37 total for my two.

Wehwalt and Rockers2:

You lucky ducks! Two minutes before the auction ended, I placed a bid for a very un-bidded plaque. Really wanted one, but did not want to pay what some of the plaques were going for. My bid failed!

As Rockers2 stated, our sailway from Seattle was memorable and poignant. As Statendam saluted the HAL staff on shore after we sailed, there were tears in my eyes.

Just got a message from our cruise consultant @ HAL that she has been sold. Details to follow as they make the adjustments to everything.
I just got this from a friend. Haven't heard anything from TA yet:

I was on the phone with HAL just now asking about a Holiday cruise. *

The CSR told me that they had just received an internal email message this morning stating that

the Prinsendam will be transferred to Phoenix Reisen on July 01, 2019. No other info.*

Thought you would want to know.

Received word from my travel agent this morning that HAL is taking the Prisendam out of commision July 1, 2019.

I was booked on the Prisendam's 30 night Amazon cruise 11/20/19. The Volendam will now be doing that cruise.

I'm sure there are going to be a lot of less than happy people who had reservations on the Prisendam cruises and are now affected.

Bummer!