Confirmed! Prinsendam has been sold! (4 threads merged)

cRocky42

$750 is not that far off the P'dam's prices on some cruises. A verandah on the 24 day I am looking at on the P'dam next year is nearly $900 per day + taxes (Canadian dollars, not U.S.D.).

I haven't seen a Seabourn itinerary that matches the one we just did nor the one we are looking at for next year, but Seabourn does go to some of the ports we were at - just not all of them.

If I might ask, which cruise is that?

April 12, 2019 - 24 day Med and River Explorer (or a similar title).

I just looked up that Lisbon to Dover cruise on the US HAL web site, which looks like a cool cruise BTW, and a veranda on that cruise starts at $8,399 pp (US) or $350 pp/day (US). Now a Neptune starts at $16,499 pp (US) which works out to around $687 pp/day (US).

I just looked up that Lisbon to Dover cruise on the US HAL web site, which looks like a cool cruise BTW, and a veranda on that cruise starts at $8,399 pp (US) or $350 pp/day (US). Now a Neptune starts at $16,499 pp (US) which works out to around $687 pp/day (US).

You're working on a double occupancy rate, whereas I think Kazu was going on a per cabin rate.

You're working on a double occupancy rate, whereas I think Kazu was going on a per cabin rate.

I was going on the cabin rate, thanks ;)

I missed your pp, Ken, apologies :o

I was going on the cabin rate, thanks ;)

I missed your pp, Ken, apologies :o

No problem. I know the Prinsendam is a nice ship and has some unique itineraries. I just couldn't believe HAL was getting that much for a veranda cabin irregardless of where she was going.

The veranda prices associated with a Seabourn cruise are a little steep ...
Crystal is adding two very small ships and the per diem price goes well beyond the typical HAL travel budget.
Seems like there is a pretty easy-to-spot trend.

Seems like there is a pretty easy-to-spot trend.

Crystal usually averages around $520/pp/day for a veranda on either the Serenity (cap 1020 pax) or Symphony (cap 922 pax). However, we did a 21 day Pacific Coast cruise for $350/pp/day. But 14 days of that cruise were to the Mexican Riviera which pulled the average down from $510/pp/day, which was the cost of the first leg which went up and down the California coast.

I heard from friends who just got off the Maasdam that after the next drydock Club HAL will be gone and Zodiacs will be added as well as the EXC style crows nest . Looks to me as certain signs that she will replace the Prinsendam as I had posted before .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I heard from friends who just got off the Maasdam that after the next drydock Club HAL will be gone and Zodiacs will be added as well as the EXC style crows nest . Looks to me as certain signs that she will replace the Prinsendam as I had posted before .

Zodiacs added to where Club HAL once was, I suppose. If so, that will look better than if they were placed near the stern. I thought possibly the zodiacs might be mounted just forward of the superstructure. There is a small crane already in position at that location, if I recall correctly.

Sorry, I don't get why that means she will replace the Prinsendam.

And, Prinsendam does have an unofficial club HAL for children on board and trained people to do it.

And, as I have said before, Maasdam can NEVER replace the Prinsendam. they are two different ships all together with significantly differerent crew to passenger ratios.

Maasdam can load all the zodiacs it wants (and discourage families from boarding) but from the itineraries I have seen, she's not doing what the P'dam does and she won't be able to replace her.

there is more to the P'dam than just the itineraries - the crew, the service, the food. All superior to the Maasdam IMO.

Sorry, I don't get why that means she will replace the Prinsendam.

And, Prinsendam does have an unofficial club HAL for children on board and trained people to do it.

And, as I have said before, Maasdam can NEVER replace the Prinsendam. they are two different ships all together with significantly differerent crew to passenger ratios.

Maasdam can load all the zodiacs it wants (and discourage families from boarding) but from the itineraries I have seen, she's not doing what the P'dam does and she won't be able to replace her.

there is more to the P'dam than just the itineraries - the crew, the service, the food. All superior to the Maasdam IMO.

I agree. My opinion remains that converting one of the current Seabourn ships, either as is, adding a deck, or splitting the vessel in half and adding a section, is a sensible choice to replicate the Prinsendam from a hardware standpoint. Maintain the same yield expected for the "new" ship as compared to Prinsendam II, Captain Dag, having been a Seabourn Master, could still be at the helm, and the price point for many guests would be more acceptable than sailing on the vessel as a Seabourn ship.

While I enjoyed all aspects of my cruise aboard the Maasdam, she lacks that understated elegance that Prinsendam has. To me, Maasdam "fits" the EXC concept. As a replacement for the "Elegant Explorer": Hmmm.

In 2013, we did not find the food or the quirky ship layout of the Prinsendam to be "superior" to any other HAL ship. The Prinsendam food in fact was several notches down, the Lido cramped. Staff and crew were the same high level one now expects on any HAL ship.

The main dining room was slow and failed to deliver food at appropriate temperatures - what should have been cold was lukewarm and vice versa. And the menu items were pretty routine like we find on any other HAL ship. Hope things have changed since then. Because this was a disappointing surprise. This was back when they had only a one-seating fixed dining option. Yes, some of two-tops were so close to each other that they could virtually serve as a quasi-table for four.

What works for the Prinsendam, and for this she has no equal (yet), is the range of cabins and her always wonderful itineraries that can take her where other HAL ships cannot. It will be very interesting to see how this new version of the Maasdam In-Depth cruise package compares, competes or offers something entirely different within the HAL family of choices.

My big question right now, will the Maasdam InDepth no longer have "gala" nights as it slims down the more traditional onboard offerings, in lieu of more local "in-depth" substitutions.

In 2013, we did not find the food or the quirky ship layout of the Prinsendam to be "superior" to any other HAL ship. The Prinsendam food in fact was several notches down, the Lido cramped. Staff and crew were the same high level one now expects on any HAL ship.

The main dining room was slow and failed to deliver food at appropriate temperatures - what should have been cold was lukewarm and vice versa. And the menu items were pretty routine like we find on any other HAL ship. Hope things have changed since then. Because this was a disappointing surprise. This was back when they had only a one-seating fixed dining option. Yes, some of two-tops were so close to each other that they could virtually serve as a quasi-table for four.

What works for the Prinsendam, and for this she has no equal (yet), is the range of cabins and her always wonderful itineraries that can take her where other HAL ships cannot. It will be very interesting to see how this new version of the Maasdam In-Depth cruise package compares, competes or offers something entirely different within the HAL family of choices.

My big question right now, will the Maasdam InDepth no longer have "gala" nights as it slims down the more traditional onboard offerings, in lieu of more local "in-depth" substitutions.

Your experience was 2013, our impressions from Prinsendam 2014 version were similiar to yours.

I’ve consistently said food and service were standard for the fleet. Ship condition was subpar. If I go into detail I will get yelled at.

At no time did we feel we were on anything close to a premium level ship.

OlsSalt,

Prinsendam being "quirky" in some regards as to layout: If you research any of my past comments about Prinsendam, that is a word that I have used.

Being the next generation of Royal Viking Line ships, (I sailed two cruises on Royal Viking Sky), I was surprised when I saw her deck plan released, particularly with regard to the Dining Room arrangement. Never sailed on Royal Viking Sun, et al names, before she became Prinsendam II.

Having sailed on her, I agree that she is "quirky" in some ways. And, that I think makes her more unique and, maybe, loved as a member of the HAL fleet. The Royal Viking Line "touches" are still there. But, one has to have sailed on Royal Viking Line to recognize them when one is aboard, I think.

OlsSalt,

Prinsendam being "quirky" in some regards as to layout: If you research any of my past comments about Prinsendam, that is a word that I have used.

Being the next generation of Royal Viking Line ships, (I sailed two cruises on Royal Viking Sky), I was surprised when I saw her deck plan released, particularly with regard to the Dining Room arrangement. Never sailed on Royal Viking Sun, et al names, before she became Prinsendam II.

Having sailed on her, I agree that she is "quirky" in some ways. And, that I think makes her more unique and, maybe, loved as a member of the HAL fleet. The Royal Viking Line "touches" are still there. But, one has to have sailed on Royal Viking Line to recognize them when one is aboard, I think.

Research my history of comments and quirky is the word I have used too. GMTA. It is a kind way to describe some less than standard aspects of this re-purposed HAL ship. Long may she sail with her high degree of uniqueness. It is good to have a ship like the Prinsendam in the family.

While the Maasdam may fill in for this niche should the Prinsendam leave the fleet, the Maasdam remains pure and predictable HAL - which also offers high comfort level as well when traveling to those far away places with strange sounding names. (......calling ...callling ... calling me.)

Reports like this one have always made me double-guess myself with regard to plans to sail on Prinsendam. She is not inexpensive and -- at least for me -- she does have equals because I look outside the HAL brand.

Her size doesn't seem small to one who's used to 350 passengers. Her itineraries are interesting but also similar to some found on smaller ships of other lines. And on other lines, for the same price, I am also offered free wine with dinner, included gratuities, much cheaper internet, included shore excursions (if I want to take them) and most important to me, really top notch lecturers. On the Voyages to Antiquity cruise that I just took, for example, we had three lecturers on a two-week cruise, including the newly appointed Keeper of Antiquities of the Ashmolean Museum of Oxford University; one of the world's most well-known Byzantine Art experts (with fascinating stories of art forgeries, thefts, etc.); and an expert on the British Romantic poets in Rome, who is a trustee of the Keats-Shelley house in Rome and made himself available post-cruise in Rome for any VTA'ers who wanted to drop by for a special visit there....

But I digress. I've finally decided to cruise on the Elegant Explorer, spurred by reports that she may not be part of HAL much longer. However, if it weren't for quite a large HAL credit, I don't know if I could persuade myself of the value of the cruise even now -- it's a rather steep cost given what I'm offered as a solo cruiser elsewhere.

Reports like this one have always made me double-guess myself with regard to plans to sail on Prinsendam. She is not inexpensive and -- at least for me -- she does have equals because I look outside the HAL brand.

Her size doesn't seem small to one who's used to 350 passengers. Her itineraries are interesting but also similar to some found on smaller ships of other lines. And on other lines, for the same price, I am also offered free wine with dinner, included gratuities, much cheaper internet, included shore excursions (if I want to take them) and most important to me, really top notch lecturers. On the Voyages to Antiquity cruise that I just took, for example, we had three lecturers on a two-week cruise, including the newly appointed Keeper of Antiquities of the Ashmolean Museum of Oxford University; one of the world's most well-known Byzantine Art experts (with fascinating stories of art forgeries, thefts, etc.); and an expert on the British Romantic poets in Rome, who is a trustee of the Keats-Shelley house in Rome and made himself available post-cruise in Rome for any VTA'ers who wanted to drop by for a special visit there....

But I digress. I've finally decided to cruise on the Elegant Explorer, spurred by reports that she may not be part of HAL much longer. However, if it weren't for quite a large HAL credit, I don't know if I could persuade myself of the value of the cruise even now -- it's a rather steep cost given what I'm offered as a solo cruiser elsewhere.

We are trying VTA next year (West Africa) for the reasons you stated - higher emphasis on enrichment and also getting the unique itineraries on VTA too - not the deluxe suites and traditional cruising style the Prinsendam also offers. For small ships and high enrichment our heart still belongs to VOD, and hoping the new InDepth on the Maasdam will keep this type of cruising still relatively "affordable".

Thought - possibility : The rumored sale is pending results of the 30 year hull inspection scheduled for Dec. 18 dry dock in Bahamas and won't be confirmed until that point .

that makes sense.

I doubt there will be any issues with the hull inspection.

Captain Dag spoke of the quality of the ship and plans to retire on her. He hopes to retire in 2019 - maybe he knew something and couldn't say? Who knows?

I hope she isn't going but if she is, hope her 2019 itineraries stay intact.

Can the Prinsendam go to the Antarctic and land if she down-sizes for those cruises to under 500 passengers? There seems to be growing interest sending more than bare bones expedition ships to this area.