Confirmed! Prinsendam has been sold! (4 threads merged)

cRocky42

Well, they're making a big mistake..

I'm with you.

But it's only because I like the crew, the crew to passenger ratio, the ship and it's itineraries. I'm prejudiced ;)

I’ve said this before and will say it again. We thought Prinsendam food and service were standard for the fleet. Mostly “good” food and service.

The “non suite” physical plant was subpar for Holland America. Musty odors, decaying woodwork, doors and windows, broken furniture in the cabin and in public spaces, broken AC, poor ventilation to handle the smoke haze generated by the multitude of onboard smokers. I never saw so many smokers in my life.

Cheap, noncushioned loungers poolside with very little to no shaded areas.

The only add on was free self service laundry, we used it once in 14 days. I saved four or five dollars.

I'm with you.

But it's only because I like the crew, the crew to passenger ratio, the ship and it's itineraries. I'm prejudiced ;)

Well, Jacqui, it's official now, she has been sold to Phoenix Reisen, it was announced on May 18 in their own paper, she will join the Royal Viking Sea, now named the Albatros..

I’ve said this before and will say it again. We thought Prinsendam food and service were standard for the fleet. Mostly “good” food and service.

The “non suite” physical plant was subpar for Holland America. Musty odors, decaying woodwork, doors and windows, broken furniture in the cabin and in public spaces, broken AC, poor ventilation to handle the smoke haze generated by the multitude of onboard smokers. I never saw so many smokers in my life.

The only add on was free self service laundry, we used it once in 14 days. I saved four or five dollars.

This post was invaluable. Thank you.

That was several years ago, wasn't it? How many years is it now?

In the meantime, the ship has been through drydock, renovations, refreshing, repairs.

Maasdam Cruises from September in have finally been released. Wish I could say the same about the Prinsendam.

Thank you for mentioning that. We've been waiting for HAL to post the Maasdam Oct-Nov 2019 itineraries and we just booked the 40 day cruise that includes some New Caledonia islands and circumnavigating Australia. Should be fun times ahead experiencing Maasdam's new EXC In-Depth Voyage concept.

That was several years ago, wasn't it? How many years is it now?

In the meantime, the ship has been through drydock, renovations, refreshing, repairs.

Doh! Back to my starting point. lol

Precisely, and implying Holland America is making a mistake because it isn't doing what some other, smaller, higher-priced, non-mainstream cruise line is doing is silly.
Well, they're making a big mistake..
Well, Jacqui, it's official now, she has been sold to Phoenix Reisen, it was announced on May 18 in their own paper, she will join the Royal Viking Sea, now named the Albatros..
Not much left to say about it.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Would it be possible for you to provide a link to that article? We were talking with our HAL PCC today and asked him if the Prinsendam had been sold. He said rumors once again have started circulating, but according to the front office, there is no truth to them. I would like to send that link to him if you have it.

Would it be possible for you to provide a link to that article? We were talking with our HAL PCC today and asked him if the Prinsendam had been sold. He said rumors once again have started circulating, but according to the front office, there is no truth to them. I would like to send that link to him if you have it.

Your HAL PCC will never address rumors. It's just the official nature of their job.

Your HAL PCC will never address rumors. It's just the official nature of their job.

Neither will the staff on the ship. Upon orders from corporate, I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also appreciate receiving such a link.

OK, I'll send you the notice

According to the Norsk Skipsfarts Forum

Holland America Line selger "Prinsendam" til Phoenix Reisen ... -

skipsfarts-forum.net, May, 2018

http://skipsfarts-forum.net/index.php?threads/holland-america-line-selger-prinsendam-til-phoenix-reisen.634/#post-3455

Holland America Line har visstnok solgt "Prinsendam" til Phoenix Reisen

Google translate Norwegian English

Holland America Line has apparently sold "Prinsendam" to Phoenix Reisen

Google translate / Norwegian - Dutch

Holland America Line heeft naar verluid de Prinsendam verkocht aan Phoenix Reisen.

Phoenix Reisen https://www.phoenixreisen.com/

ms Prinsendam (2002), ex Seabourn Sun (1999), Royal Viking Sun (1988)

Holland America Line - www.hollandamerica.com a unit of http://www.carnivalcorp.com/

Attached(1): Prinsendam off Brest, France, 17 May 2018. Photo credit: Michel Floch.

Attached(2)(3): Phoenix Reisen

Attached(4): Norsk Skipsfarts Forum

I am no business major, or financial whiz, but here's how I see the picture for the cruise industry:

1) Older smaller ships (like the Prinsendam) are leaving the fleets of mainstream cruise lines. Once they leave they are mostly going to niche operators unassociated with the big players in the industry.

2) Corporations like Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL have no interest in developing newbuild programs for their mainstream lines that replicate the types/sizes of vessels they are disposing of. They are instead focused on larger, more economical newbuilds for their mainstream brands and building the smaller ships for their Ultra Premium and Luxury brands where the lower passenger numbers can be offset by significantly higher fares.

3) New entrants into Ocean Cruising, Like Viking, are siphoning a distinct passenger profile away from lines like Holland America, Princess, Celebrity, etc and toeing up head to head with brands such as Oceania and Azamara.

4) If a corportation like Carnival, Royal or NCL wanted to build and operate smaller ships for their mainstream and premium brands like Princess, Holland, P&O, Celebrity, Royal, NCL, Carnival, Costa, etc, they would already have the vessels under construction. They fact that outside of the Celebrity Flora (Galapagos fleet) they have not done so speaks volumes. I think the big players are content to let the mid/small ship market be part of their Ultra Premium and Luxury Brands in the future, and are counting on the fact that attrition of those clients who prefer smaller ships and their unique itineraries will either go to other brands in the corporation or be replaced with a new consumer demographic on their new, larger, more economical ships that help bolster overall profitability.

There is 1 thing you are all forgetting... the cruise industry has been running at 96% of capacity (lower berths) and when you figure in 3rds and 4ths they have been running about 106% of capacity. So no one is taking passengers from each other because there are a large influx of new passengers. New cruisers have been growing far faster than capacity has grown for several years now... and the experts who know the trends keep ordering new ships.

http://skipsfarts-forum.net/index.php?threads/holland-america-line-selger-prinsendam-til-phoenix-reisen.634/#post-3455

Holland America Line heeft naar verluid de Prinsendam verkocht aan Phoenix Reisen.

Holland America Line - www.hollandamerica.com a unit of http://www.carnivalcorp.com/

Attached(1): Prinsendam off Brest, France, 17 May 2018. Photo credit: Michel Floch.

Thanks!

There is 1 thing you are all forgetting... the cruise industry has been running at 96% of capacity (lower berths) and when you figure in 3rds and 4ths they have been running about 106% of capacity. So no one is taking passengers from each other because there are a large influx of new passengers. New cruisers have been growing far faster than capacity has grown for several years now... and the experts who know the trends keep ordering new ships.

That’s going to change though in 2022 or thereabouts imo, at least fir North American cruises. I sense a large correction once those massive MSC ships are launched. Massive influx of many, many ships is going to saturate the market more than we’ve seen in a long while.

What am I missing here?

Because something has been stated on a forum NOT UNLIKE THIS ONE, suddenly it is gospel?

That’s going to change though in 2022 or thereabouts imo, at least fir North American cruises. I sense a large correction once those massive MSC ships are launched. Massive influx of many, many ships is going to saturate the market more than we’ve seen in a long while.
Perhaps and to the extent that's true and foreseeable, it'll likely be factored in. And let's be clear, sometimes factoring in that kind of thing means allowing a problem to happen, because the benefits of doing so outweigh the detriments. There's a large market in Asia. I wouldn't be surprised to see some NA capacity shifted there when the inevitable next downturn in the business cycle here occurs.

Regardless, the "solution" to that problem would be to buy fewer ships, and to make them so as to be the most cost efficient, i.e., large. With P'dam, I almost got the impression we were watching the cruise line figuring out how long they could milk the cow while still being sure that they didn't still own the cow when feeding the cow would cost more than they could get for the milk.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Thanks! It would be nice if you could copy and paste the article for everyone to see. But if you can't, thanks for sharing the link.
No, I don't want to subscribe. Since you're interested, why don't you subscribe? ;p