Confirmed! Prinsendam has been sold! (4 threads merged)

cRocky42

Even with the Prinsendam would be sold to C&MV, the product would be different.

I understand Pacific Eden, aka Statendam, which is going to C&MV, will be marketed to German customers when she is based in Europe.

If I recall correctly, when I did a segment of the World Cruise this year, the pre-booking forms for the 2020 Grand Voyages mentioned the Grand South America but not a Grand Mediterranean. I asked about that and the FCCs said that the Grand Mediterranean would not be given in 2020. Of course, there's nothing that says the Grand South America has to be on the Prinsendam ...

If I recall correctly, when I did a segment of the World Cruise this year, the pre-booking forms for the 2020 Grand Voyages mentioned the Grand South America but not a Grand Mediterranean. I asked about that and the FCCs said that the Grand Mediterranean would not be given in 2020. Of course, there's nothing that says the Grand South America has to be on the Prinsendam ...
You recall correctly. I have a copy of the Grand Voyage Request Form 2020. It lists Grand Asia, South Pacific; Grand World; and Grand South America.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Forums mobile app

I sure hope it's not the Maasdam. Their new EXC In-depth voyages concept, which includes zodiac excursions and higher quality seminars, being implemented on the Maasdam has really got us excited again about HAL. In fact we just booked the new Oct 2019 Maasdam voyage which goes to some cool New Caledonia islands as well as circumnavigates Australia.

It seems strange that they would sell off the Maasdam after spending the money to convert her to the EXC In-depth concept. When I first read about that, I figured that was the sign that the Prinsendam would soon be gone.

It seems strange that they would sell off the Maasdam after spending the money to convert her to the EXC In-depth concept. When I first read about that, I figured that was the sign that the Prinsendam would soon be gone.

If the Prinsendam does go, it would definitely be a cool cruise if the Maasdam and her EXC in-depth concept took over the Polar Ice Cap/Iceland cruise.

I agree with your post about selling Maasdam so soon after investing money in her. But, P & O Australia, a CCL Brand, is selling Pacific Eden, aka Statendam, after the money was spent to put her into Australian service. She will have been a part of P & O Australia for about 4 years.

It's difficult to understand the thinking that occurs in the Corporate Offices sometime.

We were on the Rotterdam last week and some staffmembers I know, confirmed the rumour :-(

End of 2019 to Phoenix ....

Well if it's true, there will be no sales on this ship once it's official.

Too bad as HAL doesn't have any other ship that offers the service this one does.

Captain Albert is currently sailing with us on the Prinsendam and just gave a talk on the History of the Prinsendam. He acknowledged hearing the same rumors and said that he asked the home office and was not given any definitive information. However, he did not disavow the rumors either. So, we may need to wait and see, but still make sure to enjoy her between now and end of ‘19.

AndreaB

Captain Albert is currently sailing with us on the Prinsendam and just gave a talk on the History of the Prinsendam. He acknowledged hearing the same rumors and said that he asked the home office and was not given any definitive information. However, he did not disavow the rumors either. So, we may need to wait and see, but still make sure to enjoy her between now and end of ‘19.

AndreaB

That talk would have been fun as is Captain Albert. Lucky you to still be on board. Have fun in the Baltics :)

That’s about how far in advance most ships go. Five ships including the P’dam don’t go beyond Dec 2019. Maybe their selling the whole fleet ;p:rolleyes:.

Maybe whatever replaces the P-dam on world cruises will have a Rock Climbing Wall and a Surfing Wave Machine!

-Paul

Maybe whatever replaces the P-dam on world cruises will have a Rock Climbing Wall and a Surfing Wave Machine!

-Paul

LOL... and then there would be ANOTHER ship I would never set foot on! I for one hope that they hold out a few more years. While I am close to retirement, we are still a couple years away from the time we could take some of the more interesting Prinsendam itineraries

An alternative interpretation might be that they will move the elegant explorer moniker to Maasdam, giving those fans of Prinsendam a chance to show that that unique offering can regularly fill a larger, more cost-effective ship.
So, any thoughts as to what ship HAL is going to use to try and fill some of Prinsendam's cool itineraries if she does leave the fleet the end of 2019?
I think all people could do at this point is guess.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

So, any thoughts as to what ship HAL is going to use to try and fill some of Prinsendam's cool itineraries if she does leave the fleet the end of 2019?

Just off the P'dam and we truly went to ports where the other HAL ships cannot go.

Some yes, but not others easily.

I really don't think that her itineraries can be done by another HAL ship. They can be altered but the itineraries she does now can't be done by even the Maasdam for some ports.

I'll enjoy her while I can and then... who knows? she has the fabulous itineraries that don't stay constant.

She goes to truly unique ports which some of us like to do ;)

HAL has no other ship that can fill Prinsendam's itineraries. No other ship in the fleet can transit the Kiel Canal, or get to some of the small towns up the rivers where the Prinsendam reaches.

If this rumor turns out to be true---and apparently Seattle is not denying it---it is a sad turn of events for many HAL passengers.

My best guess would be the MS Maasdam. She is only 6 meters longer, her draft is just 80 cm more than the Prinsendam ( 7,8 mtrs vs 7,0 mtrs ) and even slightly ( 1,5 mtrs) less width.

Another option could be one the smaller ships ( Seabourn) in the whole CCL fleet to be transferred to HAL. HAL and Seabourn have always been in the same technical and nautical group of CCL, but the older Seabourn ships are really a lot smaller than the Prinsendam, so I guess that wouldn't be a viable option . Maybe just wishful thinking...

Another option could be one the smaller ships ( Seabourn) in the whole CCL fleet to be transferred to HAL.
It would make more sense to transfer the itineraries to Seabourn.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

It would make more sense to transfer the itineraries to Seabourn.

I hope they don't do that and instead choose the Maasdam. The veranda prices associated with a Seabourn cruise are a little steep at $750+/pp/day for a northern European cruise. Besides, I'm sure they already do similar itineraries if not more elaborate.

I hope they don't do that and instead choose the Maasdam. The veranda prices associated with a Seabourn cruise are a little steep at $750+/pp/day for a northern European cruise. Besides, I'm sure they already do similar itineraries if not more elaborate.

I completely agree !

Maasdam InDepth is certainly being groomed to be the next equivalent "Elegant Explorer" - far more boutique than traditional itineraries, but without the quirks or smaller size which can endear many to the Prinsendam. Getting into the smaller, older ports remains her key appeal for us. But those too are becoming part of the past too as they get replaced by larger and more commercial port operations.

Our own story from the Prinsendam from 2015 was learning from Capt Albert they expected at least 5 more years for her (2018). And that put the sales price so high they were almost hoping no one would buy her, because they did not want to lose her loyal passenger base to whomever purchased her.

Plus the CCL Annual report this year did say they expect to get 30 years of useful life from their ships. Which puts the Maasdam long of tooth as well. The mid-size small mainline ship sweetspot is rapidly disappearing. Pacific Princess is still out there with similar unique world wandering itineraries and size.

Crystal is adding two very small ships and the per diem price goes well beyond the typical HAL travel budget. So it looks like ships are either getting much larger or much smaller - and this under 1000 passenger brand with flexible itineraries is getting harder and harder to find at accessible prices. Voyages of Antiquity remains one option - we are giving it a try next year - to West Africa - a part of the globe most mainline ships do not offer.

$750 is not that far off the P'dam's prices on some cruises. A verandah on the 24 day I am looking at on the P'dam next year is nearly $900 per day + taxes (Canadian dollars, not U.S.D.).

I haven't seen a Seabourn itinerary that matches the one we just did nor the one we are looking at for next year, but Seabourn does go to some of the ports we were at - just not all of them.