Why are drinks so expensive

Trimone

Very wise move buying stocks that don’t issue dividends, gives you OBC instead, so you have to go on their cruises to spend at inflated prices.

Your no mastermind are you?

So I must be a fool to collect tax free money(cruise next) from a stock that does not offer a dividend. And a stock that has gone up in price. And then use that tax free money to purchase something that I like(cruising with NCL). So I declare that I take my profits and spend then with this particular stock I own. Others stocks I reinvest with there dividends or take there money too(like most investors). What the heck am I believing in

Sorry unable to comment, watching England v Sweden ? What time do the US play ??

They could play the World Cup in my backyard and I wouldn't get off the couch and peek through the blinds to watch it.

Sorry unable to comment, watching England v Sweden ? What time do the US play ??

Is that supposed to be an insult? Clearly you have the time to comment since you just did....and you are assume that people would actually care about soccer/football

Unable to comment, yet you commented. LOL. Football starts back here in September...

BTW, I had a nice July 4th... :)

I hope your team wins or we will never here from you again. And here in the US could most of us could care less about the world cup. We here do not even care about our own soccer league. Look at the attendance and ratings. Fox is losing money. I myself am watching a Laverne & Shirley rerun.

Living close to NYC, those prices mirror what I pay at home, $8 for a beer, $12 for house wine, $15 for a cocktail.

That is what we pay for drinks. The ships prices are in line with what you pay on land. $8.00 for a beer is about right. In our local Boston Pizza it costs that, in a hotel much more.

I’m back! Just beaten The swedes, tonight we will go probably to the best Bar in town, typically a pint of Moretti and a pimms will come to about £8.80, that’s with the latest Don’t go soft when wet paper straws. Later we will go to #miller&carter a quality steakhouse, which if I recall the best NZ savinguon Blanc is about £22.00 a bottle. Now both of those establishments are fair

I can tell you why they pull the NZ Sav Blanc because they regularly run out. They seem to run out every cruise I’m on or that’s what the Beverage Manager always tells me as they then tell me it’s a popular wine. I just don’t get why if it’s so popular they don’t stock more. I think it’s because they want us to drink that horrid rough North South Sav Blanc ( their own house brand) that isn’t even a Sav Blanc as it definitely has no fruity tones. I’ve been bringing my own on board lately and paying the corkage. The Matua sells for around $7.50 US here. I even managed to get some in the Duty Free shop in Copenhagen Airport. Congrats on your soccer result.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by karoo

It's all marketing smoke and mirrors. Inflated prices detached from reality to steer people towards selecting the "free" drinks as a perk. The inflated prices help justify inflated package prices, which in turn leads to more revenue from service charges but it's all still "free". Just marketing. NCL is making plenty of money still on this.

Perfectly put. My next NCL cruise did not come with the option of any perks. Just fine!:) I'll be happy paying the $15 corkage fee and buying a few beer's. Betting the total cost will be less (with better wine) then the UDP service charges .

I’m back! Just beaten The swedes, tonight we will go probably to the best Bar in town, typically a pint of Moretti and a pimms will come to about £8.80, that’s with the latest Don’t go soft when wet paper straws. Later we will go to #miller&carter a quality steakhouse, which if I recall the best NZ savinguon Blanc is about £22.00 a bottle. Now both of those establishments are fair

If you are expecting other establishments around the globe to charge no more than you can pay in your own back yard, you should just stay home. You, your wallet and the travel community will be much happier.

I forgot what percentage of US citizens have a passport, regards to Hilary X

Pretty sure most Aussies have passports. We love to travel. It actually astounded me when I just read the low percentage of US citizens with no passport. That means they don’t really travel anywhere - only their own country. [emoji33]

Really quite sad now this thread has descended. I’d like to point out that not all British people share the OPs opinion.

Yes, the drink prices are expensive on NCL, especially when compared to the costs in a British Pub. As has been said, they aren’t as expensive when compared to other places, and that includes a lot of venues here in the U.K.

It is all part of the price. As the OP says, you should compare all options, but that does mean to compare everything. It may seem a good deal if you go somewhere where the drinks are cheaper, but if you are paying more for other things then you may find that you’re not the mastermind that you thought you were.

As for the football, I watched England’s previous game, the first game of football I’ve watched for years. I found it extremely tedious, and I was doing something much more fun yesterday instead. I hope we win the World Cup as it will make a lot of my friends very happy, but I’m not going to like a sport just because of the accident of where I was born. Football starts for me in September when both the NCL and English Rugby seasons start. We should all make our choices based on what we like, accept other people’s choices and stop this mindless bickering about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure most Aussies have passports. We love to travel. It actually astounded me when I just read the low percentage of US citizens with no passport. That means they don’t really travel anywhere - only their own country. [emoji33]

In fairness, you can travel quite far and see a lot of things without leaving the US.

I wouldn’t want to do it myself, but it certainly isn’t anything like as restricting as, for example, a British person who has never left the U.K. I know a reasonable number of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I look at it this way, Ncl in the U.K. price the cruise inclusive of drinks, gratuities etc so if we think it’s a fair price for the trip then we book it. We then book a 3 meal package because the price is a great deal to have. I then get onboard and see what’s in my package and smile, hey I’ve got no bill at the end of the trip. What I can’t have a glass of Matua, hey it maybe my favourite but I’ll have something else then. They’ve 1000s to cater for and they can’t be expected to please everyone all of the time. What they’ve got cocktails already mixed, then if I don’t want that I’ll choose something else or order it at a bar where it’s not ready mixed. We too have to be flexible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For sure, when all my cruise credits are used I will be looking, anyone with common sense would.

start looking now cause you might have a long search if you are trying to find a better deal when it comes to booze and tipping. That is of course if you want to sail on a similar line. I am sure there are inferior lines that will give you want you want. I might also add, why did you buy so many cruise credits knowing you were unhappy with the policies. They haven't changed that much over the past few years, There will always be changes and up dates but the DSC has been in effect for years and pretty much matches other lines with in a buck or so. I know, like some others you prefer no tips at all, but that isn't the way the game is played most of the times. If there is no tipping, the price is much higher Good luck in your search.

Instead of feeling ripped off, why not just sell your cruise credits and then you can look for another line where their drinks are less expensive.

I was thinking the same thing. He paid only $150 per each after deducting his $100 OBC, so he should easily be able to dump them for that or even if he can't. If he sells them for anything he will be ahead cause he won't have to sail on NCL that overcharges him for booze and makes him pay a DSC which he obviously doesn't think if fair.

To be fair, Americans tend to have a very strong work ethic. It is rare for most to take more than a week off at a time, even if they have enough vacation days. I’m playing tourist this weekend in my backyard, watched the Gem sail off from the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty yesterday, off to the 9/11 museum and freedom tower today.