Regent vs Oceania aka Luxury vs Premium Plus

That's a great story. I'm guessing that your screen name would be a great clue. All he'd have to do is look for a pair of guests with your initials, eh?

I’m sure they looked for Texans with last name with C but my first name does not start with R. It is the name I go by and they don’t know.

• 4 weeks later...
I've sailed with both Oceania and Regent, and I agree that the food is better on Oceania.

With Regent, you're obviously paying a premium for the all-inclusive experience; however, I just discovered the hard way that Regent is definitely cutting corners on that experience. I am booked on the Explorer - Lisbon to Cape Town, 24 days, November 28, 2018 - and have learned that Regent will not be offering shore excursions for all passengers at all ports. In some cases, ALL excursions in some ports were sold out on the first date they were available for booking, even though I was online at midnight EDT that day.

When I called Regent, they informed me that they have no intention of adding additional excursions. I've spoken with two customer service agents and a supervisor, and I was directed to read the Terms and Conditions, which state "Free unlimited shore excursions are on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to availability."

A common sense interpretation of "availability" in those Terms and Conditions would be that passengers may not receive their first choice of shore excursion. However, Regent claims that this availability condition means they are under NO obligation to provide excursions for all passengers. It's an absurd interpretation, in my opinion, particularly for a company that so aggressively promotes the "all inclusive experience." Most disturbing, it provides Regent with justification to radically reduce the number of shore excursions available on all their cruises.

Sometimes you have to go to the right person to talk to..Jancruz1

Sometimes you have to go to the right person to talk to..Jancruz1

Might be considered deceptive if heavy advertising free UNLIMITED shore excursions to have to talk to the right person to get any when booking the minute one is allowed to book no matter the category booked.

Do tell who is the right person to talk to??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely not deceptive advertising! The fact that Regent might have temporary tour operator/contract issues 240 days before a cruise is annoying but definitely not planned deception.

Most passengers get exactly the excursions they want

We are booked on the sold out Tokyo-Tokyo cruise April 2019, we had no problem booking all of the excursion we wanted, in fact it was late Saturday afternoon (August 18) after they became available at 12am. None of the tours were sold out I was in shock!

Thank you Winters Gate for such a thoughtful honest review.

From another newbie who has still to sail their first cruise [only another 4 months and counting] it is nice to get first hand, first impressions.

Oh, by the way, can I congratulate you on your mastery of English, you had nothing to apologise for.

Personally, I do not find CC to be a place to make friends though sometimes meeting through CC works towards that end.

Whilst being fairly new to CC and admitting it might be different here, I have made some of my closest friends through another travel forum.

We are scattered throughout the British Isles, but with a couple of exceptions, we meet on an infrequent basis, and we have just holidayed with two of the other couples on the forum.

We all started just answering questions, doing trip reports etc, but as there is a general chat section we slowly got to know each other over a number of years.

So, I for one am very grateful for good friends made through an internet travel forum and I am glad that you too have had the benefit of a forum working in whatever way to cement friendship.

I've sailed on both. I realize I probably had the cruises from Mordor on Oceania however IMO...

You'd have to pay not only for my cruise on Oceania but pay me to be on board. The food was terrible. I lost weight. On a foodie cruise line.:o The service outside of the bars was mostly the level of a greasy spoon. Desk staff were indifferent at best. Waves grill staff were rude and incompetent. The passengers were mostly comprised of a lot of very important people. And they'd never let you forget that. They also liked to brag about getting employees who wouldn't take their bribes (reservation limits were for people who didn't think outside the box enough to bribe staff) in trouble or fired (one woman spent about 30 minutes explaining about bribing one employee to rat out another).

The highlights for me were: The bar staff (some of whom are now on Regent), the small group tours they offered and dining in the Wine Spectator restaurant.

• 10 months later...

Hello again!

It was almost a year ago since I made this comparison and I just want to make a quick update after our recent Oceania cruise.

I can only say that Oceania´s food is far from what it used to be, the decline in their MDR is just a huge step down. They have limited the menus, dishes repeats far more often then before and the quality of ingredients are just not what it used to be. 

The MDR is also closed for lunch almost every day, on our 10 day cruise it was only open twice. I really hope Regent isen´t on the same path!

We really look forward to our next Regent cruise in June and hope that it holds the same quality as our Regent cruise last year, we are also excited to see the 2021 Regent schedule as we think Regent might be our choice of line in the future!

1 hour ago, Winters Gate said:

Hello again!

It was almost a year ago since I made this comparison and I just want to make a quick update after our recent Oceania cruise.

I can only say that Oceania´s food is far from what it used to be, the decline in their MDR is just a huge step down. They have limited the menus, dishes repeats far more often then before and the quality of ingredients are just not what it used to be. 

The MDR is also closed for lunch almost every day, on our 10 day cruise it was only open twice. I really hope Regent isen´t on the same path!

We really look forward to our next Regent cruise in June and hope that it holds the same quality as our Regent cruise last year, we are also excited to see the 2021 Regent schedule as we think Regent might be our choice of line in the future!

Thanks for the helpful info. We have not cruised on Oceania, but they send us brochures very often. I always feel like I should read them, but had not found anything to book. However,  we really like having a good MDR,  and if we aren't off the ship for an excursion, we prefer to have lunch in the MDR. It sounds like Oceania isn't a good match for us.

50 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

So, you're saying if someone reading this thread particularly likes "Dubai catering halls", than Oceania, vice Regent, is the cruise line for them?? 

Probably....as long as they are designated "premium" and not to be confused with "luxury".

26 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm confused.   Aren't you an Oceania cheerleader?

I am obviously not wripro but he is definitely not an Oceania (or Regent) cheerleader.  He and I debate (very politely) cruise lines on another board and I have not once heard him post anything positive about Oceania.  However, now that you brought it up, he may think of something that he liked.

On 7/26/2018 at 3:58 PM, cotto22 said:

We are returning to Regent (Mariner Vancouver to San Francisco) in September after being on Silversea several times and most recently a TA on Oceania. We were very happy with our experience on Oceania especially regarding the food and bar areas. The cocktails in the Martini bar were perfection, and my husband is somewhat hard to please.

Ditto!   I rarely drink martinis but got into the habit of doing so on Riviera where the martinis in the Martini bar were outstanding -- and in spite of what Jackie says, plenty large enough for me!   They came in a little shaker so you didn't have to have the whole thing in the glass to start with - and then could have seconds!  Very nice!  Food in all restaurants aside from Toscana was outstanding I though.

I have been most places in the world but not to Dubai (aside from the Transit Lounge at the airport!)  What, please tell, is a "catering hall in Dubai" ??   if so I should go there because I really liked the MDR on Riviera AND had the best châteaubriand/sauce Béarnaise there that I have ever eaten (and I make this at home quite often!!)

Edited by Hambagahle

On 8/28/2018 at 5:12 PM, Boatmans Lady said:

Whilst being fairly new to CC and admitting it might be different here, I have made some of my closest friends through another travel forum.

We are scattered throughout the British Isles, but with a couple of exceptions, we meet on an infrequent basis, and we have just holidayed with two of the other couples on the forum.

We all started just answering questions, doing trip reports etc, but as there is a general chat section we slowly got to know each other over a number of years.

So, I for one am very grateful for good friends made through an internet travel forum and I am glad that you too have had the benefit of a forum working in whatever way to cement friendship.

Can you say which forum that is, or is naming a different forum the same as naming a travel agent - not allowed?  Thanks!

5 hours ago, aungrl said:

Can you say which forum that is, or is naming a different forum the same as naming a travel agent - not allowed?  Thanks!

To be honest, I'm not certain if naming the forum would break any rules, but suffice to say, it is a side kick from a holiday destination site that sells online in England.

19 hours ago, Boatmans Lady said:

To be honest, I'm not certain if naming the forum would break any rules, but suffice to say, it is a side kick from a holiday destination site that sells online in England.

You obviously list forums on CC but, for instance, our TA has a site where you can post so I would not be able to give the name of the site.  Not sure if any site such as CC is not affiliated with a travel agency but I could be wrong.

On 7/27/2019 at 5:09 PM, Travelcat2 said:

I am obviously not wripro but he is definitely not an Oceania (or Regent) cheerleader.  He and I debate (very politely) cruise lines on another board and I have not once heard him post anything positive about Oceania.  However, now that you brought it up, he may think of something that he liked.

Again, we have to disagree. I am not a cheerleader for ANY cruise line. I just happen to call it as I see it. Unlike you who trumpets Regent wherever possible. Should anyone have the gall to criticize them you are on these boards within minutes to refute or mitigate the claim. How you always get there so fast is a mystery to me. I do like Oceania but as I've often said I would only sail them in a PH or above because the regular cabins are far too small for me. Once I book a PH, add cost of tips and alcohol it is usually more expensive than the luxury lines. Also Oceania has a habit of shortening port times or even skipping them. That said I think they offer a lot and the food and service are excellent (although there have been many recent complaints about cost cutting on the food....not by me.) 

At the same time although Seabourn is my favorite line I have taken them to talk on these boards for closing the MDR for lunch in many itineraries. Consistency of product is crucial to a luxury line and that is unacceptable imo.

As far as Regent goes their shore excursion policy is a deal breaker for me (and I know you're not a fan of them either.)

I complain about Silversea charging for alternative restaurants. To me a luxury line should not do that. When you're paying this much money for a cruise the should not nickel and dime you with a fifty or sixty dollar hate for a meal.

These are simply my opinions. Others may differ which is fine and doesn't bother me in the least, The only opinion that counts for me is my own. And as I've often said you will get nothing but opinions on these boards so buyer beware!

20 minutes ago, wripro said:

At the same time although Seabourn is my favorite line I have taken them to talk on these boards for closing the MDR for lunch in many itineraries. Consistency of product is crucial to a luxury line and that is unacceptable imo.

I must say we loved our first Seabourn adventure last fall.  But yes, the MDR was closed at least once or twice, once on a (cold) seaday where the only recourse to the overcrowded Colonnade was to go outside to the Patio and sit covered in blankets.

1 hour ago, wripro said:

Again, we have to disagree. I am not a cheerleader for ANY cruise line. I just happen to call it as I see it. Unlike you who trumpets Regent wherever possible. Should anyone have the gall to criticize them you are on these boards within minutes to refute or mitigate the claim. How you always get there so fast is a mystery to me. I do like Oceania but as I've often said I would only sail them in a PH or above because the regular cabins are far too small for me. Once I book a PH, add cost of tips and alcohol it is usually more expensive than the luxury lines. Also Oceania has a habit of shortening port times or even skipping them. That said I think they offer a lot and the food and service are excellent (although there have been many recent complaints about cost cutting on the food....not by me.) 

As far as Regent goes their shore excursion policy is a deal breaker for me (and I know you're not a fan of them either.)

I complain about Silversea charging for alternative restaurants. To me a luxury line should not do that. When you're paying this much money for a cruise the should not nickel and dime you with a fifty or sixty dollar hate for a meal.

These are simply my opinions. Others may differ which is fine and doesn't bother me in the least, The only opinion that counts for me is my own. And as I've often said you will get nothing but opinions on these boards so buyer beware!

Wow - so much anger - where is this coming from?  You and I are on the luxury board and debate all the time without being accusatory!

I said that you were not an Oceania or Regent cheerleader and you verified this.  And, I do not always take Regent's side on everything.  As you posted above, neither you nor I like included excursions so apparently I do not like absolutely everything about Regent.

Very confused by your attitude as you and I have disagreed and co-existed for years without attacking each other.  Is there a full moon (just kidding).