Decisions Decisions

Your own bathroom and just think of what else you can buy with the $4000.00. I would go with the 2 balconies and save the money for something else.

Loft suites have 2 bathrooms

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be a minority on this but I would go with Star Class. It is so nice to have someone take care of all reservations for you. Since my granddaughter is home schooled we need internet and we have always gotten a ship phone from our genie so she can go on her own but we can keep track of her, to some extent. The balcony is a large plus for us as we live on the balcony more than being in the room, so I vote for staying with the room you have.

I am in the minority because I say keep the Star Class room. It is nice to have someone take care of all the details for you. My granddaughter is home schooled so the internet is a must when we cruise (we always go when other kids are in school) and so far our genie has gotten us a ship phone so she can be on her own but we can still keep track of her some (11 this year). We also like the larger balconies as we spend more time on them than we do in the room. I vote to keep your current room.

and I am facing a lot of people who have very unexpected medical expenses after taking trips...

There is usually tomorrow, but it's not always what you expect it to be.

Well there is no such thing as "usually tomorrow" in my field, but I did say if it could be afforded. The bottom line here was that you cannot take it with you. There is not a lot of "I wish I had saved more money," on your death bed. It's more like, "I wish I would have went there, or ate there, or took a chance on that, or tried this."

I stand by what I said... if it is affordable to the OP, without negatively affecting the their life, (what I mentioned on my previous post) then I would spend it.

It is a grand loft that we are booked in. Star class.

It's not meant to be a post to show off. I think I was looking for someone to talk me into the suite. At the end of the day we decided to go with 2 balconies. While we can afford it there are too many other ways to allocate and I can't justify $4000 for star class benefits.

I read your post last night and was interested in what your decision would be at the end of the day.

We sail in suites in DCL, Yacht Club on MSC and Haven on NCL, and while I can afford to sail in suites on RCCL, I choose balconies since I would see the benefit if suites had their own “ship within a ship” area since that is more important to me than a larger cabin but since they do not, Im happy in our balconies with extra cash in my pocket.

Sailing on Allure next month and have two balconies and an inside booked for my family of four and each “kid” is bringing a friend.

Thank you for coming back and informing us of your decision.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by js

It depends.

Only YOU can answer that.

$4K may be a small number to YOU.

I prefer to cruise less often, but cruise in a suite. But that is me. And works with MY finances

There is not a lot of "I wish I had saved more money," on your death bed. It's more like, "I wish I would have went there, or ate there, or took a chance on that, or tried this."
yeap, because the last thing people usually worry about on their death bed is their medical bills. The rest of the family who get stuck with them are the ones who wish for more savings.

But, of course, in OP's case when she is like - well, the difference is only $4K, I am sure she is not worried about future potential medical bills or other financial emergencies.

We are talking completely different financial categories of people here. For me $4K is a very sizable chunk of money, enough to pay for 2 cruises for my family. And 2 cruises for my family mean 1-2 years of cruising.

I worry about my medical bills but I figure that is what my insurance should be used for after. I have worked hard for my money and have helped my kids out a lot. I have bought a house for one to live in, have helped with buying cars, have and are homeschooling my granddaughter. I would rather spend the money now and create memories that are lasting instead of saving money so my kids can spend it as they want after I am gone. I took care of my mother until she died and never felt like I got stuck with her or her medical bills. I guess if my kids feel that way when I am gone it is their problem, I am helping them plenty now.

One other point. Once you cruise in a suite, it is difficult to not do it on future cruises. :D

My philosophy is, while you have to plan for the future, denying yourself everything now does not pay off.

My former FIL was one to save everything to do everything when he retired. He retired, my MIL went downhill and he had to take care of her. Within a couple of weeks of her going into a nursing home because he could no longer handle it, he fell, broke his hip, then had a stroke. So he never got to do the things he planned.

I have twice had serious issues, that were life threatening. Made me stop and think.

Bottom line is always, what is right for you is not right for me, and vice versa.

I would rather cruise less often, but do it in a suite.

One other point. Once you cruise in a suite, it is difficult to not do it on future cruises. :D

My philosophy is, while you have to plan for the future, denying yourself everything now does not pay off.

My former FIL was one to save everything to do everything when he retired. He retired, my MIL went downhill and he had to take care of her. Within a couple of weeks of her going into a nursing home because he could no longer handle it, he fell, broke his hip, then had a stroke. So he never got to do the things he planned.

I have twice had serious issues, that were life threatening. Made me stop and think.

Bottom line is always, what is right for you is not right for me, and vice versa.

I would rather cruise less often, but do it in a suite.

If you don't travel first class, your grandkids will.

The nice thing about traveling in a suite (Star Class) for us is that it is with my son and granddaughter so we are going first class and creating memories along the way. Much better than leaving money when I am gone, in my opinion.

yeap, because the last thing people usually worry about on their death bed is their medical bills. The rest of the family who get stuck with them are the ones who wish for more savings.

But, of course, in OP's case when she is like - well, the difference is only $4K, I am sure she is not worried about future potential medical bills or other financial emergencies.

We are talking completely different financial categories of people here. For me $4K is a very sizable chunk of money, enough to pay for 2 cruises for my family. And 2 cruises for my family mean 1-2 years of cruising.

Which is why I said what I said. Had they said something like "It's so much" I would not have chimed in.

$4k would take care of our last 8 cruises, so as I also said before I will never be in a suite. (maybe I said that on another thread, don't remember) So for me.. not spending that money would be a no brainer. However, if my financial position afforded the mentality "It's only $4k." Then I would spend it in a heartbeat.

I use a free accredited program out of the midwest and the largest in Nevada. It is called Connection Academy and I think they are nation wide. We can get our weekly classes down before we leave or do some onboard. Since it is internet based all we need is internet on board. We started with kindergarten and this year will be 6th grade. If you are interested look them up online or I would be happy to talk to you if we could connect somehow.

The nice thing about traveling in a suite (Star Class) for us is that it is with my son and granddaughter so we are going first class and creating memories along the way. Much better than leaving money when I am gone, in my opinion.

my family including my kid are creating great memories, while having fun on the ship and at destinations. We sleep in the inside room just fine. Our memories are not created in the room.

Ours are not created in the room either but the total experience of ship, ports, and all other parts of the trip, including the long airplane rides we have to take. We have done the room with the portal and the room with a small balcony and the suite with the big balcony and our preference is the suite. If everyone liked the same rooms ships would look a lot different. There are people who have tried the suites and like the inside rooms better and the other way around. There is no good or bad room, it is all about what a person or family like and what they are willing to spend.

Been reading this thread with interesting replies. And I think the important message is, what works for one family (cost, importance of features, what you'll miss or splurge on, etc) isn't the same for another. For us, we we usually go with the thinking of budget since getting away as a family in itself is amazing. Sometimes we "spluge" and I'm putting splurge in quotes since for us, that is balcony room. We've also done 4 of us in a Promenade room and it was an incredible cruise...each kid had their own space (sofa bed and pullman) and no issues. We made the washroom work. We also went for 2 insides for cruise down the road...and have balcony types on other two. At the same time, we went for the newest ship Symphony at our march break which is far from "budget" so it's where you want to cut things off. But of us, the suites are totally out of budget to spend $14k for a single cruise, never mind about the flight for 4 of us to get there. Now "out of budget" doesn't mean that we can't, but won't. We are savers and like a balance in things...enjoy today but doesn't have to always be first class...but that's just us and nothing wrong with either side.

But OP booked the room to begin with so it is good for your family. Only you can say if the 4K savings is worth it for perhaps a "lesser" room or features. For us, no...and that is what we are spending on cruise+flight for our August cruise (plus a bit more for extras)...but many book suites and go for it.

Edited by LuCruise

Personally I don't understand the "I can afford it" comment because while we can as well, all our extra money goes into our retirement so we can afford it then! To me no matter how much money you have there's always a better place to put it. Retirement, grandkids' college funds, helping those less fortunate, and the list goes on. But we are less frugal on vacations than anywhere else in our lives :) If I had $4,000 that I absolutely couldn't figure out what to do with, I'd give it to my kids...they'd take it!

Personally I don't understand the "I can afford it" comment because while we can as well, all our extra money goes into our retirement so we can afford it then! To me no matter how much money you have there's always a better place to put it. Retirement, grandkids' college funds, helping those less fortunate, and the list goes on. But we are less frugal on vacations than anywhere else in our lives :) If I had $4,000 that I absolutely couldn't figure out what to do with, I'd give it to my kids...they'd take it!

You could do that instead of cruising, period.

I think people need to step out of their own world for a minute. What $4,000 means to you and I may not mean the same thing to someone else. You comment about "no matter how much money you have" makes no sense to me. So the Starbucks I had should have went to retirement, or those less fortunate? What is the point of making money, if you cannot spend it? I give enough to charity, pay my taxes (without complaining) and my retirement is 20+ years away, and already looks pretty good. What you are telling me is that I should find something better to do with the leftover money, than spend it on myself? Seems hypocritical considering you are on a cruise board. Not being rude.. just trying to figure out your comment.

And my parents had the idea to expose me to the finer things in life. To come to enjoy them.

Then, when I grew up, I had to be somewhat successful to continue the experiences. :D

The other side of that is, you get to retirement, and due to various issues are unable to travel and do all that you saved to do. It happened to my FIL.

Or even worse, you get close to retirement and pass. But at least then, you will not regret waiting.