Nervous about booking I have with travel agent

PK34

This is the first time I have used a travel agent for a cruise. He was recommended by someone we have cruised with several times. He is also listed on Royal's site where you can search for a travel agent. I'm getting a bit nervous as I have final payment coming up next week. I have tried calling him for several days and have not gotten a response.

When calling the main agency number, I get an automated answering system that does not identify it as a business, but rather just lists the number called and to leave a message. I have also tried calling his cell phone and have not heard back. At this point I am nervous about giving him final payment when and if he ever gets back to me. We owe a little over $11,000. My fear is that he would take the money and run. The only basis I have for feeling this way is the fact that he won't return my messages.

Do you think I am over reacting? I'm assuming I could file a complaint with my credit card company if this happens. Since I am so close to final payment, I want to make sure that RCL gets my payment in time. Would it be helpful to call C & A to see if they would take my payment. I would appreciate any advice, thank you!

A good/ excellent TA will return calls & emails. I use a local office in my City. As suggested contact C&A , see if you can arrange a payment with them although if booked with a TA they won't handle a booking. Good luck and let us know how everything turns out.

This is the first time I have used a travel agent for a cruise. He was recommended by someone we have cruised with several times. He is also listed on Royal's site where you can search for a travel agent. I'm getting a bit nervous as I have final payment coming up next week. I have tried calling him for several days and have not gotten a response.

When calling the main agency number, I get an automated answering system that does not identify it as a business, but rather just lists the number called and to leave a message. I have also tried calling his cell phone and have not heard back. At this point I am nervous about giving him final payment when and if he ever gets back to me. We owe a little over $11,000. My fear is that he would take the money and run. The only basis I have for feeling this way is the fact that he won't return my messages.

Do you think I am over reacting? I'm assuming I could file a complaint with my credit card company if this happens. Since I am so close to final payment, I want to make sure that RCL gets my payment in time. Would it be helpful to call C & A to see if they would take my payment. I would appreciate any advice, thank you!

Call the cruiseline and they will contact the agent. You'll be surprised at how fast you may get a call from them

Do you have documentation from this agent for the sailing to include your deposit? As others indicated, call C & A ASAP. Verify they have your sailing information and any deposits paid.

I do not think you are over reacting! I would be calling RCC and maybe not using this agent.

You mention you found the agent through RCC. They need to know about this but protect your sailing as the priority.

Good luck and I really hope this works out for you!

I would add that you should be able to do two things-

1) verify on your credit card statement that the deposit payment was made to RCI and not the agency- i.e. you want to see a charge to Royal Caribbean directly.

2) If you haven't already, login and look at your cruise planner.

This will at least give you peace of mind that your initial deposit and reservation was handled correctly!

I would add that you should be able to do two things-

1) verify on your credit card statement that the deposit payment was made to RCI and not the agency- i.e. you want to see a charge to Royal Caribbean directly.

2) If you haven't already, login and look at your cruise planner.

This will at least give you peace of mind that your initial deposit and reservation was handled correctly!

Wouldn't she see the balance due on cruise planner? Actually not sure as DW takes care of the payments needed (if any)

My previous TA was a member of a Travel Agency, but worked mainly from their home office. When I had some issues, I looked up the actual agency and spoke with the principal of the agency directly. You might try that as well.

1. Call the cruise line and make sure you are good to go.

2. Inform the cruise line that you have fired your TA for lack of service and they may wish to consider removing him from their list of recommended agents.

3. Make your final payment to the cruise line.

4. When/If the TA calls you back to provide an excuse let them leave a message and don't return their call.

5. If the TA persists, answer and pretend you have no idea who they are and that they couldn't be your TA because your TA responds to your inquiries and if they happen to be unavailable for an extended period of time they have someone as a back up. Please stop calling this number.

I went thru 4 TA's before I found a good one. I trust her and she does an awesome job. The first 4 only really wanted to talk to me when it was time for me to make a payment or to physically book a cruise that I had done all the research on. My current TA calls/emails me if they have any deals going on, warned us off of MSC SeaSide (which was on our must do cruise list) before it became rampant public knowledge about the smell issues. Recommends ships/itineraries/etc both to look into and avoid. In other worlds she realizes she is more than just a sales rep for vacation companies, she is also suppose to provide great customer service.

I'm sorry you got stuck with a bad TA your first go round, keep shopping for one, good ones are out there.

2. Inform the cruise line that you have fired your TA for lack of service and they may wish to consider removing him from their list of recommended agents.

4. When/If the TA calls you back to provide an excuse let them leave a message and don't return their call.

5. If the TA persists, answer and pretend you have no idea who they are and that they couldn't be your TA because your TA responds to your inquiries and if they happen to be unavailable for an extended period of time they have someone as a back up. Please stop calling this number.

I went thru 4 TA's before I found a good one. I trust her and she does an awesome job. The first 4 only really wanted to talk to me when it was time for me to make a payment or to physically book a cruise that I had done all the research on. My current TA calls/emails me if they have any deals going on, warned us off of MSC SeaSide (which was on our must do cruise list) before it became rampant public knowledge about the smell issues. Recommends ships/itineraries/etc both to look into and avoid. In other worlds she realizes she is more than just a sales rep for vacation companies, she is also suppose to provide great customer service.

I'm sorry you got stuck with a bad TA your first go round, keep shopping for one, good ones are out there.

Yikes, I would hate to have a TA marketing at me all of the time and passing on rumors. That isn't my idea of customer service. Luckily it isn't a one-size-fits-all world and you can have the kind of TA you like and I can have the kind I like.

Thank you for all the responses! I have been busy traveling for work and did not call C&A until this afternoon. And honestly, I was hoping I might hear from the travel agent and not have to deal with this mess. So here is where I am at:

1) After talking to C&A, I was given an email to send my request to fire my agent, was told it can take 7-10 days.

2) Final payment isn't due until July 30 so I should be ok.

3) Thankfully, I requested that the travel agent send me the confirmations from RCCL showing my deposit and cabin. So I forwarded those along with my request to fire the travel agent.

4) Yes, I can see my cruise when I log in to my cruise planner and everything looks ok. Crown & Anchor also confirmed that we are 5 people in the suite that I have booked.

5) I should also add that I handled the original booking and deposit myself and then had the agent add 3 others. I knew that RCCL at least had the deposit for my husband and myself.

I am a little sad as I was looking forward to working with a travel agent to minimize my time involvement. After this experience, I can safely say I will continue to handle my own bookings in the future.

Thanks everyone for your input and letting me know I wasn't overreacting :)

I cruised on the MSC Seaside in April and had a wonderful time. Ship is amazing and staff and crew wonderful. I have sailed MSC 3 times now with a 4th scheduled for this Nov. I have cruised 40 times and MSC is my now favorite cruise line. Far surpasses RCCL IMHO. We had absolutely no smell issues on our Seaside sailing and I would not hesitate to recommend the Seaside to anyone.

4104 thank you for the update, I do hope everything turns out alright for you. Whenever i call my TA to run a payment, she or a member of her staff will contact the cruise line to run the payment to the card on file. I also check my Credit Card online to verify when the payment actually went through which is done that same day in 95 % of the time. I also receive an updated invoice within 24 hours. The payment always shows up as being made by the Cruise line.

4104 thank you for the update, I do hope everything turns out alright for you. Whenever i call my TA to run a payment, she or a member of her staff will contact the cruise line to run the payment to the card on file. I also check my Credit Card online to verify when the payment actually went through which is done that same day in 95 % of the time. I also receive an updated invoice within 24 hours. The payment always shows up as being made by the Cruise line.

I think you mean PK34.:)

Bill