Beware of charges after going home

tommyj4

We had the beverage package on our last two cruises. It was made quite clear that drinks on disembarkation day were not included and would be charged. If the OP had a drink on that day then the charge is legitimate.

The bev pkg terms indicate a drinking day as 6am to 6am ... eady explanation for no pkg coverage on debark day.

The PBP definitely does cover the entire cruise. On a 14-day (really a 14-night) cruise, you pay for 14 days. You receive the package for part of the first day (after you board), for 13 full days, and for part of the last day (before you leave the ship). You pay for 14 days and receive the package for 13 full days and for two partial days.

I have ordered Bloody Marys for breakfast on the last morning several times on several cruises with the package (both the earlier AIBP and the current PBP), and I've never been charged.

You actually get one extra benefit if you are the type who likes to drink your entire 15-drink limit each day. On a 14-night cruise, you can drink 15 times the 15-drink limit. On the day you board, you can drink 15 drinks from boarding until 6:00 am the next morning. On the next 13 full days, you can have 15 drinks between 6:00 am and 6:00 am. Then you can drink 15 drinks from 6:00 am on the last day until you leave the ship. I haven't met anyone yet who was able to drink 15 drinks after 6:00 am the last day, since you probably only have about four hours, but the system would allow it.:)

Now, in the case of the OP where there was a charge for a drink on disembarkation day that should have been covered by AIBP - that's a computer programming error.

That is not a computer programming error - it is an error by the bartender or waiter entering the drink into the computer.

When the bartender enters the folio number in the computer, it shows that you have the beverage package (and it also shows the number of drinks since 6:00 am). The bartender then selects YES or NO as to whether of not the drink is included. It could be NO if you are buying a drink for someone else, so it's not automatic. If you are charged for the drink, it is because the bartender or waiter entering the drink in the computer selected NO on using the package.

This is interesting to me as I checked our printout slipped under our door on the last day, and I verified that everything on there was correct and everything that should be in there was. When the credit card charge came through, it was for more ($35?) than the statement said.

I didn't bother to check into it, and was not even sure how I would since I was off the ship. I figured it would probably turn out to be an accurate charge anyway.

But, if this is something that is happening regularly, maybe I should have checked.

Is there any way to easily get the details of the charges a month and a half after the cruise?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Recently returned from Caribbean Princess sailing. I picked up a copy of my final bill and everything was ok. Three days after being home checked my credit card bill and the charge from Princess was $7.00 higher. Called Princess they said it was a drink charged to my account. I said I had the drink package and I should not have been charged. They agreed but said it would take up to 4 weeks to resolve this and credit you charge card. Talked to two supervisor and got the same response. $7.00 isn't a lot but should never happen and if it does they should be able to fix it immediately. This reminds me of the scam RCCL was doing with there mini bar charges after the cruise.

I had an 'almost' bogus charge on my account last year on NCL. There were 2 large bottles of water (fizzy water) in my cabin. I put them on shelf behind TV and never touched them again. Steward wrote me a 'bill' for $6 because he said the 'seal' was cracked. I told him no way was I paying that. I did not do it and he missed it when inspecting the cabin or (and I am cynical) he said it was 'cracked' to grab extra money? It was a hand written 'bill/receipt'. When I said I would NOT pay it, he grabbed the slip and grumbled and huffed audibly and stormed out of the cabin. He was a PILL the whole week. WORST steward I ever encountered.

The PBP definitely does cover the entire cruise. On a 14-day (really a 14-night) cruise, you pay for 14 days. You receive the package for part of the first day (after you board), for 13 full days, and for part of the last day (before you leave the ship). You pay for 14 days and receive the package for 13 full days and for two partial days.

Hmm....I will test this theory out on my next trip in August! I have never tried to buy alcohol with it the morning of disembaraktion but I have always got specialty coffees, which I have always been charged for!

very simple check your account every couple of days on a cruise... i do and have found mistakes. Even on board can take time to correct but better on board than afterwards. I have been charged for drinks we never order, charged a higher price on a bottle of wine then on wine list because list was out of date (not my problem). Considering how many passengers are served no many mistakes but it pays to watch you account as you go.

If my credit card is charged for more than the bill I received at the end of the cruise without any explanation, I would contact Princess and ask for them to send me an itemized statement. I would also file a dispute with the credit card company about the "billing error". See the Federal Trade Commission information on Disputing Credit Card Charges.

Note that your rights for "Billing Errors" are greater than your rights for "Complaints About the Quality of Goods and Services". In these cases, the dispute is clearly about a billing error. Since you can provide a copy of the folio Princess gave you on disembarkation, the burden is on Princess to provide an updated folio showing the additional charges. If you receive an updated folio and it shows charges you did not make (such as drinks you did not order or drinks that should have been included under the PBP), then they would need to provide some evidence of those charges.

Thank goodness I haven't had this problem recently. On my last couple of cruises, I had left-over refundable OBC, so I received a check from Princess instead of a credit card charge. In this case, the Fair Credit Billing Act would not apply and I would have to work directly with Princess to request the additional refund.

I had an 'almost' bogus charge on my account last year on NCL. There were 2 large bottles of water (fizzy water) in my cabin. I put them on shelf behind TV and never touched them again. Steward wrote me a 'bill' for $6 because he said the 'seal' was cracked. I told him no way was I paying that. I did not do it and he missed it when inspecting the cabin or (and I am cynical) he said it was 'cracked' to grab extra money? It was a hand written 'bill/receipt'. When I said I would NOT pay it, he grabbed the slip and grumbled and huffed audibly and stormed out of the cabin. He was a PILL the whole week. WORST steward I ever encountered.

Did you complain to Passenger Services or the Hotel Manager???

When we were on the Royal, friends who had the AIBP said it had started over at midnight and not 6 a.m. as they had observed on other ships. I don't know if it was a temporary policy change or something just peculiar to that ship.

When we were on the Royal, friends who had the AIBP said it had started over at midnight and not 6 a.m. as they had observed on other ships. I don't know if it was a temporary policy change or something just peculiar to that ship.

I've read about it both ways here. The written policy on the Princess web site says 6 am. Who knows what the enforced policy will be on any given cruise.......

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently on the Crown Princess and am working at getting charges for 4 bottles of water left in my cabin by the steward reversed. They are still in the cabin unopened. I’ve talked to passenger services twice, but they aren’t much help. Told me to talk to the steward, so I’m waiting to do that. I’m in a suite and traded the mini bar for a bottle of wine, so There really wasn’t water in the suite until he brought 2 bottles 2days in a row in the middle of the cruise. I didn’t really think anything of it, until charges turned up on my account. I have the beverage package, so have been bringing water back day from a bar or restaurant.

last cruise someone got a bottle of wine from the lobby bar, and 2 cruises before that, someone got a bucket of beer at the pool bar... both on the last day...

hmmmmmmmmmm...:rolleyes:

and both times had the AIPB/PBP

Bottles of wine only get a discount under the beverage package and buckets of beer are not included

I keep track of my charges daily via Princess@Sea. My wife and I were each charged for drinks a couple of times even though we had the beverage package. I just went to the Customer Service desk and had the charges removed. It was a minor inconvenience but nothing to get upset about. They removed the charges right away. Not a problem. There is no reason to wait for a final folio printout.

We did this on the Grand last week. It was quite efficient too; the charge usually showed up on my cell phone before I even got handed the drink! But yeah it's good to check on things as you go so you're not trying to figure everything out the last day.

Bottles of wine only get a discount under the beverage package and buckets of beer are not included

well, duh... that's why I and even Princess knew they weren't my charges - with no signed tickets still at that time...:rolleyes:

I am currently on the Crown Princess and am working at getting charges for 4 bottles of water left in my cabin by the steward reversed. They are still in the cabin unopened. I’ve talked to passenger services twice, but they aren’t much help. Told me to talk to the steward, so I’m waiting to do that. I’m in a suite and traded the mini bar for a bottle of wine, so There really wasn’t water in the suite until he brought 2 bottles 2days in a row in the middle of the cruise. I didn’t really think anything of it, until charges turned up on my account. I have the beverage package, so have been bringing water back day from a bar or restaurant.

I suspect after you talk to the cabin steward you will be pleased. If the water is not part of your suite perks (it was for us), thy can just remove the water/charges.

You're in a suite. Suites get 1 bottle of water per person per day INCLUDED. We frequently hide our daily waters so the steward delivers more. Then on port days, we have multiples to take with.

Yeah, I have that page printed out for these types of instances.

Have had the AIPB & PDP enough times to know it is included until u leave the ship, Have ordered drinks up until 9:30 am, most recent sailing with PBP April 2018, 2 beers b4 disembarkation.

However, with PBP often get charged for drinks in the specialty restaurants....that need to be removed.

Do agree, check your CC statement, had the same situation as OP, a credit that showed on my final statement was removed. It was $50, lucky for me it pushed my bill to the next 1000, that is why I noticed it. I always check now...I probably would have never caught $7, bucks OP...glad you are receiving a refund. Errors are made, unfortunate we have to deal with them if we want our money back.

Once upon a time we also got hit with an additional charge after returning home. A call to Princess eventually got us the information that the charges (yes plural) were for 2 items from our mini-bar. We explained to Princess that we are Elite and had traded in our entire mini-bar for coffee cards which is our normal practice. We did eventually get the money credited back.

On other cruises we have caught errors onboard which were quickly fixed by Guest Services. In ever case they involved drink charges for drinks we never purchased. Errors do happen.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner