Princess Cruises and shower water rationing

Brisbane41

Our cruise was the repositioning cruise that departed Sydney 22nd March. The TV problem was there from day 1. They kept making annoying (to us TV non-watchers) announcements about it. But the OBC compensated us for the annoying announcements. ;p

Sounds like poor old Diamond needs a complete overhaul. Water pressure problems, air conditioning problems, TV problems. What next?

But despite all the issues I really liked the ship, and we had the best crew overall that we've ever had on Princess.

Ours was 2 before yours, I wanted to do one last cruise on her before she left Aus for good. I’d only been on her once before that in 2014 from Singapore to Sydney and really loved it. We had no issues with anything but can agree with you that the staff were wonderful.

The announcements would have been annoying but any unexpected OBC is nice [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Well it has now just passed 3 weeks since the end of my recent cruise and still no satisfactory update to the situation. The customer relations representative handling the issue is still waiting on a report from the ship on the situation. No surprise there given their inability to fix the problem and allow the same problem to occur over a period of what I conclusively know to be 9 months in total.

I am expecting a phone call or email Monday with an update. I have told them that I am going back to the ship this October in yet another cabin and I expect it to be fixed.

Well here is the reply from Princess Cruises Customer Relations

Followingreceipt of your detailed letter recently your comments were forwarded to theDiamond Princess as requested for investigation and review.

As previously discussed notrend in plumbing issues was identified however the ship reported new showerheads are slowly being implemented on board as required. A thorough survey ofall ships shower heads has been conducted and replacements have been arrangedin the few cabins where water flow was compromised.

It is important to note alsothat the ship's water pressure will never be the same as you experience on landhowever we do aim to deliver the best possible outcomes for all our valuedguests at all times.

That said, I understand youwill be back on board Diamond Princess in October this year and I will see thatthe new shower head is fitted in your stateroom for you to enjoy.

What a complete joke!!!! After having video evidence -

- of a shower that does not work and was never fixed they are still trying to spin BS about it not being a problem. I find the comment about plumbing on land compared to ships a complete joke. They seem to forget all the Princess ships I have been on where this mysterious problem with the showers never existed.

Well I have got news for them. I will be back on the Diamond Princess in October in yet another cabin and will have my waterproof video action camera again. If those showers are like that in 7 weeks time there will be a video every day posted to all their social media pages and demands for payments for lack of facilities provided on the ship.

By the way the shower stream will reach your body if you turn the lever to "garden hose" setting, that is a very narrow stream of water similar to the narrow beam that comes out of a tap.

I can understand your frustration!!!!

Wow... tell you that should should be 'okay' with this problem, if you handle it by showering with the showerhead on stream????

Really??????

That last statement. "By the way..."

OMG!!!!!!

NOT okay.

I do see a light at the end of the tunnel... Maybe.

They do seem to be admitting that there might be an issue with the showerheads on this ship.

This is what I was thinking/assuming the whole time!!!!

Of course, they are going to try to minimize the issue, and try to dodge any liability or responsibility.

Which only serves to make the customer even MORE angry.

But, they are admitting that they are changing out shower heads... Hopefully for totally new and different and functional shower heads.... Not the faulty ones that never should have been installed on that ship.

Just personally.... I might continue to try to press this issue even further.

But, I will tell you that you will not see any acceptable results unless you check the anger and false accusations at the door.

Just trying to offer some constructive advice here!

I would let them know that - While I appreciate the offer that they might insure a new, acceptable, showerhead, that this is what have should have happened a long, long, time ago.

FWIW, we sailed B2Bs on the Diamond Princess last Spring for 32 days (around New Zealand and Transpacific to Tokyo) in an aft facing balcony cabin on Emerald Deck. We appreciated receiving OBCs of $100 for the TV not working on each cruise. We had no problem with the shower pressure. There was a water pipe leak up the hall that required some attention.

I can understand your frustration!!!!

Wow... tell you that should should be 'okay' with this problem, if you handle it by showering with the showerhead on stream????

Really??????

That last statement. "By the way..."

OMG!!!!!!

NOT okay.

I do see a light at the end of the tunnel... Maybe.

They do seem to be admitting that there might be an issue with the showerheads on this ship.

This is what I was thinking/assuming the whole time!!!!

Of course, they are going to try to minimize the issue, and try to dodge any liability or responsibility.

Which only serves to make the customer even MORE angry.

But, they are admitting that they are changing out shower heads... Hopefully for totally new and different and functional shower heads.... Not the faulty ones that never should have been installed on that ship.

Just personally.... I might continue to try to press this issue even further.

But, I will tell you that you will not see any acceptable results unless you check the anger and false accusations at the door.

Just trying to offer some constructive advice here!

I would let them know that - While I appreciate the offer that they might insure a new, acceptable, showerhead, that this is what have should have happened a long, long, time ago.

FWIW, we sailed B2Bs on the Diamond Princess last Spring for 32 days (around New Zealand and Transpacific to Tokyo) in an aft facing balcony cabin on Emerald Deck. We appreciated receiving OBCs of $100 for the TV not working on each cruise. We had no problem with the shower pressure. There was a water pipe leak up the hall that required some attention.

I am beginning to think they are deliberately reducing the pressure to save costs or prevent damage and water leaks from fragile pipes that have not been maintained.

I told them that I will be seeking compensation as of October this year should they not deliver a service that is expected of them I will also be recording the shower on a daily basis for every day that it is not fixed and I told them this also.

I do not pay good money for a cruise and turn up and have a shower on so weak pressure that the water just dribbles down the nozzle and cannot even reach a human body beneath it.

Re about the good shower pressure above. What setting did you have the lever on? was it on wide spray or jet? It works on jet and there is sufficient pressure to wash yourself but the water will only touch one small part of your body and not work like a wide spray.

Lastly I reminded them that I was on the ship from 2014 to 2016 for various cruises and encountered no problems with the showers.

The video I posted is of a brand new shower head.

I am sorry that this happened!!!

I do not think that this was any problem with rationing.... A cruise ship would have to have a big problem with their overall water system for that to ever have to happen....

It appears to be a problem with that shower head. Either deposit buildup, or the works in that adjustable spray head is maybe stuck or is just not working. That is what my adjustable spray pattern garden hose sprayer looks like if it gets knocked and shifted in between two settings... not on either one... just kind of stuck in between. Like, between garden shower, and the one center power-wash.

If it is deposit buildup, I wonder if there is 'hard' water there in Asia, that might make this a common problem.

We don't have that issue here where I live, but I do still keep some CLR or Lime-Away on hand!!!

For anyone else reading....

I would recommend that you do NOT just place this on your steward. When you have a plumbing problem, you call the plumber not your maid. And, this advice would apply to anything other than basic cleaning and stocking of supplies.

Take a video like the one here, go personally to Customer Service and let them know that you need a supervisor, and that you have a maintenance issue with the plumbing in your cabin. And, make sure you let them know that you need maintenance to show up or schedule a service call right away.

Also, in a pinch, if there is a problem with the shower in the cabin, I think most every ship will have showers in the spa area.

Also, some shower heads do have the little water flow limiter... I have heard of people who actually take a little wrench or something to take off the shower head, and take out that washer or aerator. Some people always seem to be prepared!!! Hahahaha!!!!

I don't believe it could be 'deposits' causing the problem as at home. That shower water is desalinated from the ocean

and comes out naturally soft. Consequently, it doesn't matter which ocean it comes from. It is soft water to begin with and this is how your Culligan man makes 'soft' water. It's filtered through a salt water tank.

There is a problem with the system that needs to be addressed. Changing the flow to a direct stream does not solve the problem. Contact your steward and then guest services. Continue everyday until it is corrected and try to see the same person each time. (Prevents buck-passing).

I don't believe it could be 'deposits' causing the problem as at home. That shower water is desalinated from the ocean

and comes out naturally soft. Consequently, it doesn't matter which ocean it comes from. It is soft water to begin with and this is how your Culligan man makes 'soft' water. It's filtered through a salt water tank.

There is a problem with the system that needs to be addressed. Changing the flow to a direct stream does not solve the problem. Contact your steward and then guest services. Continue everyday until it is corrected and try to see the same person each time. (Prevents buck-passing).

I will be back on the ship on the 3rd October and will be onto them on a daily basis if it is still the same. New cabin this time. I wrote to customer relations in good faith that they could get the ship fixed and was even kind enough to state I was not seeking compensation. It makes me angry that they would outright lie to me about the issue. I was on the ship in 2014 to 2016 for cruises in the Japanese season and had no issues with showers and then suddenly they appear in 2017 and 2018 in several cabins I used. They failed to remember that I have done over 30 cruises with the company and been on over 12 ships so know what to expect when it comes to pressure and showers.

Well, first off, a water softener does not soften water by being filtered through a salt water tank. The salt has nothing to do with removal of minerals from the water. The resin beads in the softener chamber do that. The salt in the brine tank is used to "regenerate" the beads (removing the minerals from the beads) during a backflush cycle, and in fact water softeners increase the sodium content of water slightly, as the sodium ions replace the mineral ions on the beads during backflush, and are then dislodged into the water when back in operation by the new mineral ions. This is why if you are on a limited sodium diet and have a water softener, it is recommended to have a reverse osmosis fileter after the softener.

As I've mentioned in several previous posts, the chemicals added to the ship's water; chlorine and calcium carbonate, can and do form scale on the pipe walls, and when dislodged during system maintenance, can cause filters, shower heads, and aerators to clog up.

Well, first off, a water softener does not soften water by being filtered through a salt water tank. The salt has nothing to do with removal of minerals from the water. The resin beads in the softener chamber do that. The salt in the brine tank is used to "regenerate" the beads (removing the minerals from the beads) during a backflush cycle, and in fact water softeners increase the sodium content of water slightly, as the sodium ions replace the mineral ions on the beads during backflush, and are then dislodged into the water when back in operation by the new mineral ions. This is why if you are on a limited sodium diet and have a water softener, it is recommended to have a reverse osmosis fileter after the softener.

As I've mentioned in several previous posts, the chemicals added to the ship's water; chlorine and calcium carbonate, can and do form scale on the pipe walls, and when dislodged during system maintenance, can cause filters, shower heads, and aerators to clog up.

Well, what do you know? I learn something new every day! Are you a Culligan man?

Well, what do you know? I learn something new every day! Are you a Culligan man?

Nope, a ship's Chief Engineer, and someone who had a water softener at home for years, and who also used a softener on some ships where we bunkered water from ports predominately.

I will be back on the ship on the 3rd October and will be onto them on a daily basis if it is still the same. New cabin this time. I wrote to customer relations in good faith that they could get the ship fixed and was even kind enough to state I was not seeking compensation. It makes me angry that they would outright lie to me about the issue. I was on the ship in 2014 to 2016 for cruises in the Japanese season and had no issues with showers and then suddenly they appear in 2017 and 2018 in several cabins I used. They failed to remember that I have done over 30 cruises with the company and been on over 12 ships so know what to expect when it comes to pressure and showers.

My guess would be if you have a cabin with the same issues again nothing will be done to correct it. Since you are being so nice to Princess and not causing any real issues for them no reason to spend extra time and money to correct the problem. As you already know the ships on the Japan routes sail full so if you do not book someone else will.

I told them that I will be seeking compensation as of October this year should they not deliver a service that is expected of them I will also be recording the shower on a daily basis for every day that it is not fixed and I told them this also.

I do not pay good money for a cruise and turn up and have a shower on so weak pressure that the water just dribbles down the nozzle and cannot even reach a human body beneath it.

Why not move on to a different cruise line?

If you keep purchasing from Princess, what's their incentive to change?

Nope, a ship's Chief Engineer, and someone who had a water softener at home for years, and who also used a softener on some ships where we bunkered water from ports predominately.

Boom! Microphone drops as he walks off the stage.

Always enjoy your posts Chief, thank you so much.

My guess would be if you have a cabin with the same issues again nothing will be done to correct it. Since you are being so nice to Princess and not causing any real issues for them no reason to spend extra time and money to correct the problem. As you already know the ships on the Japan routes sail full so if you do not book someone else will.

It will be on to them on a daily basis with videos recorded on a daily basis with proof of the date and time in the video and uploaded to all social media with Princess tagged every day of the 13 night cruise if it is not fixed. I have been nice in the past not wanting compensation, but if the problem exists on this upcoming cruise where they cannot provide suitable amenities in the cabin what I am paying for then I will demand financial compensation, refunds and keep shaming them on social media and make as many people aware of what the showers are like in many of their cabins on the Diamond Princess.

I am hoping I do not have to do this. If I return and the showers work then I will be happy and have no need to complain about anything. At present I have no cruises booked with Princess for 2019 and it will remain that way until after this upcoming cruise in October. By the end of October I will have also been on another ship and be able to record a video of another older Princess ships showers for comparison if I do have to take my claim higher or to seek refund if they are not providing a shower that emits water. I am nice to them to start with to get results but if they cross me then I am not the type of person they want as an enemy because I will never give up when I have given them more than adequate chances to rectify a problem with no compensation required. I think 4 cruises on that ship with insufficient shower water will be more than enough to get some results.

The reason I keep going back to Japan is because the atmosphere on the ship is more relaxed, less crowded, more polite and easy going compared to other ships. I can speak Japanese and find it is incredibly cheap and easy to get around when you speak Japanese in their country. The culture is much more polite. If I go on a ships excursion in Korea then it will be a Japanese speaking tour where again it is less crowded, congested, more polite and relaxed and hardly anyone jostling for best vantage points for photos or seats in venues.

The easiest way to check pressure on the line is to remove the shower head and open the faucet fully.

If it pours out like it should it is the shower head. If not its low pressure in the line.

I had an issue on the Sun Princess filling our Jacuzzi tub. It took over 15-20 minutes to fill. Called maintenance and had them remove the aerator and it now filled in less than 5 minutes. I told maintenance to take the aerator with him and he could reinstall after we get off.

The easiest way to check pressure on the line is to remove the shower head and open the faucet fully.

If it pours out like it should it is the shower head. If not its low pressure in the line.

I had an issue on the Sun Princess filling our Jacuzzi tub. It took over 15-20 minutes to fill. Called maintenance and had them remove the aerator and it now filled in less than 5 minutes. I told maintenance to take the aerator with him and he could reinstall after we get off.

There was a spherical black plug of gauze type implement inside the nozzle that was removed and disposed of by the steward. It made minimal difference but there was noticeably a little more pressure once it was removed. When the shower head was off the water came out softly from the hose. It would not be strong enough to hurt anyone or even poke your eye out if you directed it at your face at close range. It had about the distance of 30cm before it angled off to the ground. I think the pressure was weak but could not identify the source once the shower head was removed.

In exactly 7 weeks time I will be on the ship again. Instead of my usual balcony like I had on the previous cabins I will have a window cabin overlooking the upper promenade above the Princess Theatre. I hope the water pressure will be better and am hoping I can come back with a good report after that cruise.

It will be on to them on a daily basis with videos recorded on a daily basis with proof of the date and time in the video and uploaded to all social media with Princess tagged every day of the 13 night cruise if it is not fixed.

This sounds like a delightful holiday!

Does anyone have the contact details for someone in senior management at Princess above the customer relations level and if so can you please pass them on to me.

Customer Relations have stated that their "maritime technicians" have reviewed the video and established that the water pressure is normal and there are no faults with the ship and as a result they will not be making any repairs or investigating the matter on the ship further. So it appears that certain cabins on the Diamond Princess will forever have poor flowing showers.

I would like to make someone in senior management aware of this as it is likely to send the ship into a state of disrepair and cost their company big time if it is not fixed.

It only takes 30 seconds out of a 24 hour day to record a video of a shower that does not work.

If I focused on something like that, and spent time on it day-by-day, it would ruin my cruise.

Being angry about the shower would taint the rest of the experience for me.

If I focused on something like that, and spent time on it day-by-day, it would ruin my cruise.

Being angry about the shower would taint the rest of the experience for me.

Not for me. I would be enjoying the day trips in Japan. The ship has good bars and plenty of wine and beer and great food.

The amenities like a shower whilst I would expect facilities that work would only be a minor inconvenience but still with all the chances I have given them I will be expecting financial compensation this time.

I am thinking it is likely to be all repaired by the time I arrive given the noise I am making about it. If not then I will record it each day and go after them big time for financial compensation proportional to what inconvenience it is. Having customer relations at Princess outright lie about there being a problem is what is making me angry now.

Can you imagine how Carnival Corp shareholders would feel if it opened the floodgates to financial compensation for many cruises particularly when it was brought to their attention. Diamond Princess has been haemorrhaging between $100 and $50 in financial compensation per cruise in the form of on board credit just because the in cabin televisions break down for a day or two on a weekly cruise. Imagine what this shower debacle is going to cost them when all the passengers take note and start issuing demands for them.