Princess Cruises and shower water rationing

Brisbane41

I'm sorry but I do not understand why so many passengers are willing to accept sub standard service.

I think sometimes it's because we are too nice (oh, we can live with it OR well, they tried a couple of times already), scared (they might steal our stuff or spit in our room service food because I think we got someone in trouble), or we don't know if we're being unreasonable or not (there is some water coming out at least). For me, it's usually when I've post something and someone says, "What?! That's not okay!" and then I'll complain more. But that's me. And about certain things.

With the exception of: engine room non-drinking fresh water systems, main laundry, and galley disposal water, all of the water onboard is piped from the same tanks, and uses the same piping.

What water source is used for the washing machines that the passengers use? I would assume the same type water that is used in passenger cabin's bathrooms.

Recently on Sapphire and Royal, shower pressure poor. Had a mini suite, we don't use the bath except to wash some clothes, but it would have taken all day to fill the bath for a bath, if you know what I mean, with the low pressure.:rolleyes:

Just a quick update. Princess have seen the video now thankfully and their customer relations people have just contacted me by phone and will get onto the issue and contact the ship straight away. I am surprised they got onto it so quickly but also glad that they might do something to get it fixed.

If as other posts suggest that the officers are reducing water pressure to save money to earn pay bonuses then that is totally unethical when they encroach on the comfort and personal hygiene of passengers to do so.

I hope I can put a good news update soon and after October hopefully have another video of a strongly flowing shower.

What water source is used for the washing machines that the passengers use? I would assume the same type water that is used in passenger cabin's bathrooms.

Yes, the self-service laundries use potable water. When using the AC condensate in the main laundry, there are added chemicals added along with the detergent, like a small amount of acid to keep the copper ions dissolved from the air handlers from staining white linens green. No control over that in guest laundries, so they use potable, not to mention saving on running separate piping.

I think sometimes it's because we are too nice (oh, we can live with it OR well, they tried a couple of times already), scared (they might steal our stuff or spit in our room service food ....

Sorry while some may just live with it others like myself will not. No fear of the crew doing anything in the form of payback or to get even for something they feel is wrong. Also crew cannot do anything within a passenger's cabin these days and be safe. Today cameras are the size of a quarter, and will turn on when anyone enters the cabin, Blue Tooth to a lap top hard drive. So let the crew try anything and the cruise line will be paying six figures or have a million dollars with of PR damage. No reason to be nice the cruise lines are not so why should the guest be nice. Follow the contract for passage and if the line breaks it or any law, take the correct actions.

If the water is not working correctly they will correct it, or have a major problem to deal with. Promises are meaningless, only actions to correct the problem are important.

Thank you Chief for your great reply - I did not think a lot of the earlier explanations were correct.

Off topic - but could I request from you an explanation of the rules coming in 2020 regarding the low sulphur bunker fuel that all ships are going to be using.

Does the fitting of additional exhaust equipment allow use of the current fuel?

With the increase in bunker costs over the last few years, increased cost of low sulphur fuel & fitting of extra equipment - do you think it will put up cruise costs for passengers?

Thanks

Okay, IMO has mandated that worldwide sulfur limits on fuel will drop from 3% to 0.5% in 2020, except that in designated ECA's the limits may be more stringent (North America, Baltic, North Sea, EU ports, and possibly the Med and China in future are currently 0.1%)

This may be a high hurdle for the world's shipping to comply with, mainly due to refinery limitations. At 0.5%, you can still burn desulfurized residual fuel, which some refineries can produce, but not all, and it is more expensive than regular residual fuel but less than diesel. Use of exhaust gas scrubbers will allow ships to continue to burn 3% sulfur residual fuel, even in most ECA's (California is an exception). As you know, residual fuel is just that, the left overs after a refinery has refined out as much "good product" (gas, diesel, jet, lubes) as possible, so what to do with this end product if ships can't burn it will become a problem, and will likely drive up all refined product prices. Will the refinery companies invest in the infrastructure to de-sulfurize the fuel, or to upgrade from a "tier 2" to a "tier 3" refinery where they can extract more refined product from each barrel of crude? (Most refineries in the world are tier 2, and can extract only about 65% of each barrel of crude to refined product, while tier 3 refineries (mostly in US and Western Europe) can extract 95%). Who knows. Will they resort to moving unwanted residual fuel to other refineries that can process it? Who knows. Will the majority of ships fit exhaust gas scrubbers? Who knows.

Any way, yes, it will drive up not only cruise prices, but prices all across the world economy, since 95% of the world's trade travels by sea. As you know, the cruise industry is a very small percentage of the world's fleet, so rising fuel costs affect the merchant fleets far more than cruise fleets. Low sulfur diesel fuel is 50% more expensive than high sulfur residual fuel, and low sulfur heavy fuel is right about in between at a bout 25% more. Scrubbers for a typical cruise ship engine runs about $1-1.5 million, times the 4-6 engines on each ship. If they have to use the scrubbers full time, which would be the case with a worldwide sulfur limit, then the payback period is about 5-6 years for the scrubbers.

Just a quick update. Princess have seen the video now thankfully and their customer relations people have just contacted me by phone and will get onto the issue and contact the ship straight away. I am surprised they got onto it so quickly but also glad that they might do something to get it fixed.

If as other posts suggest that the officers are reducing water pressure to save money to earn pay bonuses then that is totally unethical when they encroach on the comfort and personal hygiene of passengers to do so.

I hope I can put a good news update soon and after October hopefully have another video of a strongly flowing shower.

Glad they saw that and thanks for getting back to us and letting us know they contacted you.

I am sorry that this happened!!!

It appears to be a problem with that shower head. Either deposit buildup, or the works in that adjustable spray head is maybe stuck or is just not working. That is what my adjustable spray pattern garden hose sprayer looks like if it gets knocked and shifted in between two settings... not on either one... just kind of stuck in between. Like, between garden shower, and the one center power-wash.

After seeing the video, my first thought was the setting. We see the same thing from the shower head at our cabin when it gets bumped between settings.

Hope Princess lets the OP know what the real problem was, as we have never seen anything close to this.

If you deal with he line level crew on the ship, most of the time nothing seems to be done. The real thing these first contact crew members due is to shield people like the Hotel Director from guests. So then you have a issue, yes present to Guest Services but when they do nothing within a few hours, demand to speak to the next level and keep going until the problem is corrected. Cruise lines solve problems by delaying and then you have forgot or are off the ship.

I am not normally one to complain. I really enjoy Princess and have been going on the Diamond Princess for the past 5 years now when it has been around Japan mainly for my love of Japan and cruising.

The recent cruises I have had on Diamond Princess have been awesome but there is one tiny problem. It is the showers in all of the cabins I have stayed in for the past 3 cruises have all had shower heads that dribble water and do not spray at all.

Here is a video I have uploaded to Instragram -

All I did was ask my steward if it could be fixed and all they did was gradually make the dribble a little bigger.

No reasonable person can shower under this dribble, it is a sad and sorry dribble and probably indicates finances are so bad that they need to ration water.

I am going back to the Diamond Princess in October in yet another cabin. I want to make it 100% clear that I love using Princess, love their style and cannot fault their cruise line, staff and style at all. It suits me perfectly. However this shower business and poor maintenance of or lack of water flow cannot go on.

Does anyone have any suggestions of who to send this video to in order that they can get the entire ships showers fixed and flowing properly. I am putting this here in the hope that Princess Cruises sees it and can fix it. I am not seeking any compensation, discounts, cruise credits or anything. They are my favourite cruise line and I am already booked to go back in October and have 4 additional deposits with them for future cruises.

I am just hoping for a reasonable way I can approach Princess, also make this more public to see if others have the same problem in the hope that Princess can fix the showers on Diamond Princess.

Thats the way on all are princess cruises, its a pain but you can get clean.

Yes, mentioning it to your cabin steward is a proper thing to do. The cabin steward should then notify maintenance.

I was surprised when on our last cruise I mentioned to our steward that the bathroom sink was starting to back up and not drain properly and perhaps this is something that should be looked at before the next cruise. She acknowledged it and I was amazed that by the next day the issue was gone. I think maintenance came in while we were out and about on the ship.

Exactly... this is not normal, and is not 'rationing'.

I don't know if this ship is due for a dry-dock which could include a thorough maintenance on the water systems??? Or if there is some other issue??? But, def. not 'rationing'.

It is definitely a pressure issue. The following cabins have the issue: C535, L248, C531, C511 and C517. I recorded the video in L248. It was first like this in L248 in October 2017. I reported it numerous times and it was not fixed. I then joined the ship in January 2018 in C535 and the other C deck cabins various family members were in. They all had the same pressure problem. Again reported but no attempt to fix at all.

I was then on the ship again and disembarked on the 19th July in L248 again.

The issue is on spray it just dribbles out. If you turn the nozzle to jet stream it will reach your body but who can shower under something that hits you directly like a garden hose but with weak pressure.

I am 100% convinced that the water pressure has been reduced to save costs. Given the amount of cabins the problem it is in there is no other explanation.

Thats the way on all are princess cruises, its a pain but you can get clean.

um....nope...this is NOT normal for Princess....never seen a shower like this on any of our cruises...

:eek:

No, it definitely was NOT normal. The Diamond cruise was our 6th Princess cruise and we never had shower flow problems like on Diamond on any of the other ships.

I am 100% convinced that the water pressure has been reduced to save costs. Given the amount of cabins the problem it is in there is no other explanation.

I don't think it is reduced pressure overall otherwise we would have heard major complaints from all sorts of people during our 22 night cruise, and we didn't.

Yes, there is definitely an issue but I suspect it's not ship-wide. It sounds like most of the C500 sector is affected, and probably a few cabins around L248. The problem is probably limited to a couple of the supply lines.

It is definitely a pressure issue. The following cabins have the issue: C535, L248, C531, C511 and C517. I recorded the video in L248. It was first like this in L248 in October 2017. I reported it numerous times and it was not fixed. I then joined the ship in January 2018 in C535 and the other C deck cabins various family members were in. They all had the same pressure problem. Again reported but no attempt to fix at all.

I was then on the ship again and disembarked on the 19th July in L248 again.

The issue is on spray it just dribbles out. If you turn the nozzle to jet stream it will reach your body but who can shower under something that hits you directly like a garden hose but with weak pressure.

Sorry, as I posted earlier, water is not a major cost factor for cruises, even those that take a lot of water from shore (which completely depends on the itinerary). I also posited reasons that the shower would show low pressure, especially if the sink does not show a low pressure, since there is no difference in the piping system between the two. If they made a different piping system for showers, that would eliminate any savings on water cost for many years to come. With a ship that is "getting on" in age, the amount of scale in the pipes can be high, and the more likely it is that repairs will be needed, causing that scale to flake off and clog the strainers in the shower. Thinking that they are reducing water pressure to save costs is simply ridiculous.

chengkp75, how do the water lines on a ship typically run? One per deck or are there different lines for each sector of the ship - I've noticed that on Princess the cabin numbering changes between smoke doors (ie C4xx changes to C5xx) so assume that delineates the ship sectors.