A few Bermuda questions

Looks like the Bermuda boards don't have much info. A few questions:

1. Better to book Horseshoe Bay transfers through the excursions RC offers, or to get there another way (and if so, what is the easiest way to do so?)

2. Anyone do the resort for a day to Elbow Beach Resort?

3. Any other recommendations with a 6 and 9 year old? Open to off the beaten path stuff.

Tia!!

Horseshoe beach--there are $7 per person each way bus shuttles and that is the most economical way to get there. We've done this and will be doing it again next month. I see no reason to pay RC to be middleman. Very simple and quick with no other stops. The beach is huge and there is room for a lot of people. Rental for 2 chairs and an umbrella is $45 cash or credit card.

We have done the day pass at Coco Reef (next to Elbow) but these places seem to be increasing their prices too much for us and you have to pay for your own transport too, which is at least $40 each way. I thought I had read recent posts on the Bermuda board about Elbow Beach.

1. Better to book Horseshoe Bay transfers through the excursions RC offers, or to get there another way (and if so, what is the easiest way to do so?)

3. Any other recommendations with a 6 and 9 year old? Open to off the beaten path stuff.

Tia!!

We did Horseshoe Bay last year and we took one of the little buses lined up outside the dock. They took us to the beach and back. Cost us $5.00/person/trip. The kids will love it.

Never book a beach excursion through the cruise line. There is public transportation, vans, and taxis that can take you anywhere you like. Horseshoe beach is beautiful and you can get there on the number 7 bus or the dedicated buses for that beach from the port.

I wouldn't recommend doing any other excursions through the cruise lines since there's so much available at the port by the information center. For kids that young, you can do a glass-bottom boat. Another idea would be the caves or the zoo / aquarium. In fact, you can do both. Take the ferry to St. George. Go see St. George if you like but the kids will probably find it boring. Take a bus to the caves, go see them. Get back on the bus and stop at the aquarium and zoo. When you're done, hop back on the bus to Hamilton. You can walk around there if you like or take the ferry at Hamilton back to the port.

I whole heartedly disagree with the advice of “sizzlechest” although i can only agree that the cruise lines prices are indeed higher. The concern when you venture out on your own in a port. Is when you book with the cruise line. If you are running late on a cruise line sponsored tour. The ship will wait for you. Cant tell you how many times people on their own start doing pier walk of shame as the ship pull”s away. So, there is a huge value advantage at times with booking your tour with a partnered vendor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I whole heartedly disagree with the advice of “sizzlechest” although i can only agree that the cruise lines prices are indeed higher. The concern when you venture out on your own in a port. Is when you book with the cruise line. If you are running late on a cruise line sponsored tour. The ship will wait for you. Cant tell you how many times people on their own start doing pier walk of shame as the ship pull”s away. So, there is a huge value advantage at times with booking your tour with a partnered vendor.

While the case in most ports, since in Bermuda the ship is normally docked for multiple days, its easy enough to do stuff on your own.

Thankfully, puctuality is skill I leaned as a child. Coupled with an abilty to understand departure times, allowing a contingency and not needing another adult to wipe my backside, I really only see a disadvantage and certainly no huge value advantage by booking via the cruise line.

Bermuda is a doddle on your own.

Having been to Bermuda 3 times I would disagree with you. The people who are running to catch the ships are people who don't have a plan in place, have not researched or lost track of time. Bermuda is the easiest island to get around via public transportation. Hop in any taxi, they will take you to where ever you want to go and the same one will return at the agreed upon time. The ferry is also easy to grab as are buses. You can also book the same tours or attractions on your own for half the price that the cruise line offers. If you are a responsible person you don't have to worry about missing the ship. Many of the accidents that I have read about happened on cruise line sponsored tours. The ship isn't going to wait if you're in the hospital no matter who you book with.

Here is a link to transportation in Bermuda

bus-routes-and-maps

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Thanks 1

Horseshoe Bay, use one of the shuttle buses at the pier. They drop you off and pick you up at the beach, not at the bus stop at the top of a large hill. There is really no schedule when they fill up they go! Those buses are NOT part of the transportation passes.

The caves, zoo, and aquarium can be reached by city bus. Just make sure you know where the bus stops are on the route. The drivers don't automatically stop. Just let them know when you board or ring the bell. Be careful, the roads are very narrow and not made for walking. You can purchase a discounted 2-day transportation pass, but it is difficult to get your money's worth but no worries about cost. We usually get 3-4 tokens each. Purchase them at the Bermuda info center, not at the pier. The line is usually very long at the pier.

Visit King's square in St. George's or Front St in Hamilton.

Just to follow up on making it back to the ship. Plan your day carefully and take the ferry when you can. Especially to Hamilton and St. George's. The buses are great, but I would NOT depend on their schedule to get you back to the ship on time. Traffic can be very bad about the same time you are trying to get back to the ship.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

We have always enjoyed the views from Gibbs Hill lighthouse. And Fort St. Catherine is interesting if you enjoy forts. The beach nearby is very nice too.

Public transport is very economical. Best advice is to tell the bus driver where you are heading to and they will let you know when and where to get off.

We also enjoyed strolling along the streets in the evenings and listening to the tree frogs.

Has anyone used Viator for Horseshoe beach transfer on a Sunday. Guaranteed seating however, I can't find out from them if their buses go down the hill or not. I would consider the $ 7.00 shuttle but concerned about potential lines waiting for it even if there are a lot of them.

Tia!!

Bermuda was one of my favorite cruises. As others have said, it’s very easy to get to Horseshoe Bay on your own either via bus, shuttle or taxi. It’s a beautiful beach and great for kids.2ffd1286c2d15a85c73799ea407863b5.jpg25d90ec441cf9bde0e1276d13b4c3812.jpg6dac5ba04b2ae98c43709037ba603ae6.jpg814e1eb5c3804df67d5ff467ee02a920.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another disadvantage to the cruise excursion is that you are "locked" with the rest of the group whether you like it or not. Want to leave the aquarium/zoo early? Sorry, not until EVERYONE wants to leave. Somebody in the group gets lost or wanders away? Nobody can leave until they're found. That happened to my inlaws on a cruise excursion to the caves.

I don't know about Royal, but every other cruise line posts the contact information for the port in the flyer with the day's activities. If there's an emergency, you can contact them. I'm not saying they will definitely wait for you, but I've been told by cruise officers to always keep that info in your phone in case you get stuck.

Horseshoe Bay is certainly a great beach and has a small cove attached to it. The only drawback to Horseshoe is it tends to be crowded. On our last trip, we took the same bus that people take to Horseshoe, but we got off at the stop AFTER Horseshoe Bay. This is called Warwick Long Bay. However, if you are looking at Warwick, walk just to the right and you will find Jobson's Cove. It's awesome. It isn't crowded and is very secluded. There are no facilities, though.

Another great advantage is when you are ready to return to the ship, you will be getting on the bus BEFORE it gets to Horseshoe Bay, so crowding won't be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, there will be 8 of us going to Horseshoe Beach from Kings Wharf. Are there transportation companies that we could book a mini van/shuttle in advance of our trip? And would you recommend we do so? Thanks much, Maria

Saturday will be my first cruise to Bermuda with others involved. Traveling with my sister and her family, which includes 4 year twins. We are scheduled to arrive at 1pm. I'm worried that by the time we are cleared and get transportation, it's too late to really spend any time at Horseshoe? Or, worried that it will be too crowded?

Last trip we went to Jobson's and absolutely loved it, just not sure about the lack of facilities when traveling with little ones?

Day 2 we figure we will leave the littles on the ship and head over to snorkel park?

Thoughts on this plan?

Hello all, there will be 8 of us going to Horseshoe Beach from Kings Wharf. Are there transportation companies that we could book a mini van/shuttle in advance of our trip? And would you recommend we do so? Thanks much, Maria

You can try, but there are plenty of minibuses waiting at the dock.