My 2 cents on cruise attire

There will be someone who says the first pair are "dress shorts". Sorry, there is no such thing as dressy shorts, except in someone's mind.

As for the poster who said he wears shorts to his office job, well that is far from the norm. I'm a Federal employee who doesn't even work with the public at all and shorts are a no-no for us (I'm a woman but it applies to men too). Also, no faded, torn or baggy jeans. And jeans, usually only on a Friday if you have no meetings or the day before a holiday since those tend to be early dismissal days.

As you can tell, each poster who comes on with their "idea" of what should be worn is only giving their own personal opinion. Guidelines/rules have gone out the window in a lot of situations because so many people feel they are "special".

I was one that posted that business casual at my company now includes shorts and jeans. This is what many companies are starting to move towards to attract people that do not want to dress up for no reason. It is really no different than when it went from suits to just a tie, and then no tie. When I started with this company, they did not even allow jeans on Friday's, and when faced with issues finding workers, they started changing policies to attract people that would set them apart from the other companies vying for people. At first it was casual fridays, and then it was free pop, free ice cream, free salads each day, and then eventually business casual changed to include jeans and shorts. We still have to wear ties when the board of directors is in town (2 days a quarter). I get that the food options are not about dress, but it all goes to what companies are doing to attract new, young workers to replace an aging workforce.

This is all just a long-winded reply to show that times are changing overall. Many people do not want old school thinking on dress codes at work, at home, or on vacation. Some people still like to dress up, and that is great.

The title says my 2 cents, so I will just add mine.

1. I want to be comfortable. Why aren't you comfortable wearing jeans and sneakers, with a polo shirt? Unless you buy jeans that are not the right size, you should be comfortable at dinner. Jeans, Khaki's are all comfortable if bought at the right size. Shorts are no more comfortable than good fitting clothes.

2. It's too hot. Well, that is also just an excuse because inside on the ship, in the air condition, it's not too hot. Many people already wear long pants all day in the southern heat. Wearing long pants never make me sweat, considering I'm wearing a light weight shirt where my body mass is.

3. Why should you care what others are wearing. First, it's not what they are wearing but mostly the lack of respect. If dinner is formal, at least wear something relatively nice. Shorts and jeans, are not considered dressy. Just put a little effort into it and make the evening special.

What we do, is give reasons, or make excuses. I can go on a two week vacation, and still manage to bring a shirt and tie, with shoes and make the luggage requirement. Air conditioned restaurants are not hot. The word that I want to be comfortable is just a code word for I'm not really wanted to change my clothes for dinner. That's why the discussion on what to wear, is just silly.

So yes, I would like to see "formal night" removed because the word formal is not followed. However, I would like to see a dress up night, and I would like to see that a certain dress code is followed, that is relaxed, but not strict. No shorts, t-shirts etc on dress up night, but khaki, and polo's are fine, or a shirt with a tie. No jacket expected. So a change is needed, but let's stop making up excuses.

On the other hand, I think the excuses those who want to insist on formal wear are BS

1. It shows respect- This is not a wedding or event you were invited to where you respect the host. The cruise line is not your host, they are a paid vendor.

2. Formal night/dinner deserves formal wear - Stop kidding yourself that this is a luxury experience. You are not in first class on the Titanic. This is a mass market cruise and nether the ship, meal, or entertainment is even remotely forma or luxurious.

3. It's our only chance to dress up - Where do you live, in a cave? Go out to a formal event or high end restaurant, opera, etc. and dress-up.

4. Those who don't dress formal, ruin the evening's atmosphere - Actually, much worse than seeing someone dressed casually, is men in tacky polyester rented tuxes with plastic shoes, men squeezed into tuxes they have had for years which are 3 sizes too small with gut jutting and hanging over their waist band, women who think polyester black pant/skirt with a tacky bedazzled "top" is formal.

Edited by drew69
spelling

On the other hand, I think the excuses those who want to insist on formal wear are BS

1. It shows respect- This is not a wedding or event you were invited to where you respect the host. The cruise line is not your host, they are a paid vendor.

2. Formal night/dinner deserves formal wear - Stop kidding yourself that this is a luxury experience. You are not in first class on the Titanic. This is a mass market cruise and nether the ship, meal, or entertainment is even remotely forma or luxurious.

3. It's our only chance to dress up - Where do you live, in a cave? Go out to a formal event or high end restaurant, opera, etc. and dress-up.

4. Those who don't dress formal, ruin the evening's atmosphere - Actually, much worse than seeing someone dressed casually, is men in tacky polyester rented tuxes with plastic shoes, men squeezed into tuxes they have had for years which are 3 sizes too small with gut jutting and hanging over their waist band, women who think polyester black pant/skirt with a tacky bedazzled "top" is formal.

Here is a whole dump truck full of likes for this one ^^^^^^^

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=122128&filename=Truck%20full%20of%20likes.jpg

IMO , The whole concept of "Formal Night" was and still is encouraged by the cruise line, entirely to create income generated by the photography department. As has been previously stated, the dining staff really don't care or react to what is worn anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been reading these types of posts for years and have resisted jumping in to the fray. However, since this is a "two-cents" post, I will put mine in as well.

I wear a suit to work every day and live in Alabama so I know heat and humidity. My personal opinion is that the heat thing is overblown. If you are inside in an air conditioned space it is usually quite comfortable. I am a hot-natured person and wearing a suit does not bother me while indoors. My wife and I dress nicely on the formal nights. I have a black suit that, when paired with a tuxedo shirt, looks like a tuxedo. I have gotten many compliments on it over the years and it is just a black suit. The shirt and tie make it formal. I pack all my clothing in one suitcase, usually rolled up, and when we get to the ship I send the jacket, dress shirts and pants out to be pressed. It costs very little and is easier than trying to worry about how to keep everything wrinkle-free while packing. I end up with neatly pressed clothing for the duration of the cruise and it is easy.

I understand that not all men own suits and I don't expect those fellows to buy one just for a cruise. With that being said, for men, it is not too much to ask to wear at least slacks and a nice shirt.

However, American culture today elevates personal autonomy over everything and we have little tolerance for rules or restrictions. Cruise lines have moved away from dress codes out of necessity. Workers have grown tired of hearing "I'm on vacation, You can't tell me what to do, etc, etc" and it has grown increasingly difficult to enforce rules. Their solution has been to turn rules into suggestions. The losers in all this has been the ones who try to follow and respect rules. These rule followers are the same people who come to the pool at 9 am only to find there are no loungers that do no have a towel or other personal item on it and not a sunbather in sight. Don't even think about asking a worker to remove someone's towels because the worker knows it will likely result in an ugly incident involving security when the people show up at 11:30 wanting to know who took "their" chairs.

John Adams, when commenting in 1798 about the freedom and liberty under the US Constitution had this to say. “We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” In other words, rules are only as good as the people that are willing to be submissive to, and follow, them.

The cruise lines are asking as nicely as they can for people to follow the rules/suggestions and we are searching as hard as we can for someone who will say "Well I wore "fill-in-the-blank" and they didn't kick me out". If someone tells you that they were in a store and put a pack of gum in their pocket and walked out without anyone stopping them does that suddenly make it ok?

I have been reading these types of posts for years and have resisted jumping in to the fray. However, since this is a "two-cents" post, I will put mine in as well.

I wear a suit to work every day and live in Alabama so I know heat and humidity. My personal opinion is that the heat thing is overblown. If you are inside in an air conditioned space it is usually quite comfortable. I am a hot-natured person and wearing a suit does not bother me while indoors. My wife and I dress nicely on the formal nights. I have a black suit that, when paired with a tuxedo shirt, looks like a tuxedo. I have gotten many compliments on it over the years and it is just a black suit. The shirt and tie make it formal. I pack all my clothing in one suitcase, usually rolled up, and when we get to the ship I send the jacket, dress shirts and pants out to be pressed. It costs very little and is easier than trying to worry about how to keep everything wrinkle-free while packing. I end up with neatly pressed clothing for the duration of the cruise and it is easy.

I understand that not all men own suits and I don't expect those fellows to buy one just for a cruise. With that being said, for men, it is not too much to ask to wear at least slacks and a nice shirt.

However, American culture today elevates personal autonomy over everything and we have little tolerance for rules or restrictions. Cruise lines have moved away from dress codes out of necessity. Workers have grown tired of hearing "I'm on vacation, You can't tell me what to do, etc, etc" and it has grown increasingly difficult to enforce rules. Their solution has been to turn rules into suggestions. The losers in all this has been the ones who try to follow and respect rules. These rule followers are the same people who come to the pool at 9 am only to find there are no loungers that do no have a towel or other personal item on it and not a sunbather in sight. Don't even think about asking a worker to remove someone's towels because the worker knows it will likely result in an ugly incident involving security when the people show up at 11:30 wanting to know who took "their" chairs.

John Adams, when commenting in 1798 about the freedom and liberty under the US Constitution had this to say. “We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” In other words, rules are only as good as the people that are willing to be submissive to, and follow, them.

The cruise lines are asking as nicely as they can for people to follow the rules/suggestions and we are searching as hard as we can for someone who will say "Well I wore "fill-in-the-blank" and they didn't kick me out". If someone tells you that they were in a store and put a pack of gum in their pocket and walked out without anyone stopping them does that suddenly make it ok?

There is a big difference between theft and following a dress code. While both may effect the bottom line (theft is obvious, but dress is more indirect), they are not anywhere near the same thing. If a company (especially a mass market line) tries to enforce a strict dress code, they will either piss off customers that are on board and did not know, or they will have plenty of people that will find other places to spend their hard earned money, but they may also get more photo sales due to people wanting pictures while they are dressed up (the real reason they even still suggest it in my opinion).

Even the chair hog thing is different. One means others do not get a chair, other is just how somebody else dresses. It does not directly effect you.

The false equivalency is like saying if you speed, it is no different than murder. They are both laws you are breaking.

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn’t making a moral equivalency argument. I was merely making the point that most of these formal night posts stem either from someone sincerely wanting to do what is expected or someone wanting to know how far they can push. Many of the responses tend to be about how one can do whatever they want because either they or someone they know/saw did so and so and got away with it. The point (and the Adams quote) being that rules are only as good as the people being asked to follow them. Cruise lines have gone to the term “suggested” but if they really didn’t care what one wore they would say so. The mere fact they “suggest” tells us what they want their passengers to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find it very interesting that people say not all men own suits. Every single man I know does.

That said, DH hasn't worn a suit on a cruise in several years, although he owns a few. I wear cocktail length dresses. Our first 4 cruises I took long formal dresses, but as they are harder to pack and very few wore them, I reverted to cocktail length, which are still pretty formal.

I love when people say something like dress is "old school". Old school would infer that it's out of fashion or NEVER worn. Not true. People still do dress up for other things. Cruising has just been dumbed down. For everyone who complains about the cost and expects "sales", etc. there are those that have been cruising for 30-40 years who are paying the same now for a lot less. If cruising stayed the way it used to be a lot of people would never be able to afford it. It's about the cruiseline appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn’t making a moral equivalency argument. I was merely making the point that most of these formal night posts stem either from someone sincerely wanting to do what is expected or someone wanting to know how far they can push. Many of the responses tend to be about how one can do whatever they want because either they or someone they know/saw did so and so and got away with it. The point (and the Adams quote) being that rules are only as good as the people being asked to follow them. Cruise lines have gone to the term “suggested” but if they really didn’t care what one wore they would say so. The mere fact they “suggest” tells us what they want their passengers to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or they can do it because it's "their vacation" forgetting it's everyone's vacation.

It hasn't always been a suggestion. It's evolved to that to accomodate those that whined about it the most and those that just flat out ignored it.

The funny thing is that when I was a kid, my mother would dress me up, and when I asked why, she said because it is expected that you dress nice. Now that I think of it, all through my youth, college and young adulthood, I never recalled a moment where I went someplace that I looked at the words, expected or recommended to mean, anything else, but to show the respect of following it. Now, in this day, the "me" generation takes the word formal night, and suggested dress to mean, that it isn't for them. Just a twist of words. I can't even imagine going to formal night without a tie on and actually believing the words "suggested" would mean that shorts and a t-shirt would be fine also. At least I know that my kids dress up when the event is suggested to do so, and my grandkids are the talk of the table.

RC calls the evening dress for the MDR "suggested".

That’s the root cause of all of these threads.

I don’t care what the rules are. I just wish there were some actual rules and that they were enforced.

Husband will usually wear slacks, I wear a black dress with a colorful hijab. That being said, who wants to spend their vacation policing people? What are you going to do, go up to them and say you can't wear that? Do people have NOTHING better to do with their time than obsess over what someone else looks like? It's pathetic.

Another post that will be repeated for years and never be resolved. Just like our political situation.

Don't know why CC doesn't shut the down?

Maybe because it doesn't break any forum rules. If you don't want to read it, don't click on it.

That’s the root cause of all of these threads.

I don’t care what the rules are. I just wish there were some actual rules and that they were enforced.

We dress IAW the suggested guidelines for the evening in the MDR. We don't care if we are the only two dressed formally or casual. RC doesn't have dress code "rules". RC has "types of suggested attire". We prefer the word suggested over rule or code.

Edited by davekathy

Maybe because it doesn't break any forum rules. If you don't want to read it, don't click on it.

Did you read the TOPIC? 'My 2 cents on cruise attire.' Well I gave my 2 cents now you gave yours and added to your count. I didn't ask you for your 2 cents as it was not very nice or wanted or accepted.

I find it very interesting that people say not all men own suits. Every single man I know does.

I don’t own a suit, but I do own a tux. Cruising is the only time I wear it. I’m not sure how much longer I will continue to do so. However I will never wear shorts for dinner in the MDR( unless it’s the first night and my luggage hasn’t arrived). I don’t care how others are dressed, and I don’t care what others think of how I’m dressed. Don’t worry, be happy. You’re on a cruise.

Another post that will be repeated for years and never be resolved. Just like our political situation.

Don't know why CC doesn't shut the down?

OKAY so what about the posts that continue asking about drink packages, specific rooms, booking shows, bringing stuff on board. etc etc etc.

Many new people come and go on cruise Critic and so let the repeats continue. Just like people who are LIVE from their ship and offer photos and descriptions that have been told before. It's their story and their right to be on CC.

Don't bring politics into CC either. We are cruisers not politicians.

I don’t own a suit, but I do own a tux. Cruising is the only time I wear it. I’m not sure how much longer I will continue to do so. However I will never wear shorts for dinner in the MDR( unless it’s the first night and my luggage hasn’t arrived). I don’t care how others are dressed, and I don’t care what others think of how I’m dressed. Don’t worry, be happy. You’re on a cruise.

Well said. I do not own either a suit or a tux, and don't plan on buying one to impress somebody I don't know, but also don't care what others wear (outside my family), it does not effect my meal, and worrying about others just takes away from my vacation and causes stress.

OKAY so what about the posts that continue asking about drink packages, specific rooms, booking shows, bringing stuff on board. etc etc etc.

Many new people come and go on cruise Critic and so let the repeats continue. Just like people who are LIVE from their ship and offer photos and descriptions that have been told before. It's their story and their right to be on CC.

Don't bring politics into CC either. We are cruisers not politicians.

Like someone told me. If you don't like what someone posted, don't read it. All the other subjects you mention do not create such conflict as dress.

I did not address a specific political issue. Just used that as an example of things that never get resolved.

Any other words of advice?

Did you read the TOPIC? 'My 2 cents on cruise attire.' Well I gave my 2 cents now you gave yours and added to your count. I didn't ask you for your 2 cents as it was not very nice or wanted or accepted.

Except your two cents had nothing to do with the topic. Your "opinion" was to complain about the thread's existence.