Pre-Booked 2020 Grand South America & Antarctic Voyage Sail Date Jan 5, 2020

While on the 2018 WC, we put in $200 with the Future Cruise folks for the 2020 Grand South America & Antarctic Voyage.

We know it's not going to be on the Prinsendam but rather maybe on the Rotterdam.

Got an email today from HAL asking us to log into their site for checking into our reservation for the 77-Day Grand South America & Antarctic Voyage departing FLL on 5 Jan 2020.

The email had no information or links as to which ship and the details of the itinerary.

Could not get very far anyway with check-in because my current passport expires before the planned end of this cruise.

Question: Has anyone gotten an email from HAL on this cruise?

Edited by Oak Hill Cruisers
Appearance

While on the 2018 WC, we put in $200 with the Future Cruise folks for the 2020 Grand South America & Antarctic Voyage.

We know it's not going to be on the Prinsendam but rather maybe on the Rotterdam.

Got an email today from HAL asking us to log into their site for checking into our reservation for the 77-Day Grand South America & Antarctic Voyage departing FLL on 5 Jan 2020.

The email had no information or links as to which ship and the details of the itinerary.

Could not get very far anyway with check-in because my current passport expires before the planned end of this cruise.

Question: Has anyone gotten an email from HAL on this cruise?

My TA called that she received paperwork from HAL today re this world cruise, looking for a payment NEXT WEEK.

I haven't seen ANY details of the trip yet.

Antarctica is one of the places that is on our bucket list. Have been around South America. Sounds like a great itinerary. Payment this early, other then a down payment seems a bit much.

Question for Mickie, Did HAL send the cruise information to your TA at your request?

We were thinking of booking this cruise direct with HAL and not working with our 2018 WC TA.

When we pre-booked on-board, we did not give them our TA's name & address.

Edited by Oak Hill Cruisers
Appearance

Are you sure that your South America cruise goes to Antarctica? Everywhere I look I see the Rotterdam doing the Caribbean in January. The South America cruise around South America appears to be on the Koningsdam going from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego. There is no Antarctica shown on the itinerary.

Will be on her March 11-27 2020 from San Diego to FLL

Panama Cruise, we were scheduled with The. Volendam

But the switch came due to Prinesdam sale. We are wanting to take a HAL for a TA to The Mediterranean right after and our PCC said it looks like The Rotterdam will be going o we!!

Hope to stay on her to the Med!!! Now anything is possible so I am. It holding my breath! Our backup is Oceania Riviera out of Miami on 2/31 which will do if all else fails.

Denise 😊

Storylady, all we saw, while we were on the 2018 WC in Jan-Apr, was a flyer for the 2020 Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage. The reps on-board also had no itinerary. At that time, they and we thought it would be similar to the 2019 80-day Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage and be on the Prinsendam.

We put in the $200 deposit and the reps promised us, and others, that we would get the first look at this cruise & itinerary before it became published on the HAL website.

Now that the 2019 80-day itinerary has been trimmed to 77 days for 2020, it looks like maybe some ports, like The Falklands, may have been cut. We'll wait & see.

When I happened to check HAL's website today, I found the 77 day 2020 S. America grand will be on the Volendam Jan 5-March 22nd. The itinerary is also now available on HAL's website.

WE also pre-booked while on the Prinsendam's Grand Med/Africa earlier this year.

David

Be curious to see how much they drop the price since the P’dam commanded a premium. On the one cruise we were impacted , the price barley changed but they dropped several ports the Rotterdam could not make it. We declined and got our deposit back.

When I happened to check HAL's website today, I found the 77 day 2020 S. America grand will be on the Volendam Jan 5-March 22nd. The itinerary is also now available on HAL's website.

WE also pre-booked while on the Prinsendam's Grand Med/Africa earlier this year.

David

I can not find this itinerary on the HAL website. Am I not searching correctly?...or is it just website issues?...or has it been removed? :confused:

Storylady, all we saw, while we were on the 2018 WC in Jan-Apr, was a flyer for the 2020 Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage. The reps on-board also had no itinerary. At that time, they and we thought it would be similar to the 2019 80-day Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage and be on the Prinsendam.

We put in the $200 deposit and the reps promised us, and others, that we would get the first look at this cruise & itinerary before it became published on the HAL website.

Now that the 2019 80-day itinerary has been trimmed to 77 days for 2020, it looks like maybe some ports, like The Falklands, may have been cut. We'll wait & see.

I figured that they would cut South Georgi Island from the itinerary. We are doing the 2019 cruise because of South Georgia Island. Glad we are as this will be the Prinsendam’s last Grand Voyage.

Sounds like HAL wasn’t prepared for the sale of the Prinsendam. No where can I find that the Volendam is doing South America in 2020. Nothing comes up on the HAL website showing the Volendam for 2020. Also, I wonder whether the Volendam can do the Amazon River. But they maybe be late in posting it as they book those who had prior 2020 reservations on the Prinsendam. I hope for the sake of those who want to see Antarctica that it is the Volendam doing the cruise.

But it is strange that they are having the Koningsdam going around SA, the Veendam going to Rio and back, the Zaandam doing its usual SA itineraries, and the Amsterdam going the east coast of SA to Chile all in 2020.

David

The HAL website is currently not showing anything for the Volendam for Dec-Feb 2020.

I figured that they would cut South Georgi Island from the itinerary. We are doing the 2019 cruise because of South Georgia Island. Glad we are as this will be the Prinsendam’s last Grand Voyage.

Sounds like HAL wasn’t prepared for the sale of the Prinsendam. No where can I find that the Volendam is doing South America in 2020. Nothing comes up on the HAL website showing the Volendam for 2020. Also, I wonder whether the Volendam can do the Amazon River. But they maybe be late in posting it as they book those who had prior 2020 reservations on the Prinsendam. I hope for the sake of those who want to see Antarctica that it is the Volendam doing the cruise.

But it is strange that they are having the Koningsdam going around SA, the Veendam going to Rio and back, the Zaandam doing its usual SA itineraries, and the Amsterdam going the east coast of SA to Chile all in 2020.

K'dam is going to Alaska in summer 2020, to go through the new Panama Max Canal locks would be a very expensive premium, so she is sailing around the tip of South America to get there. Also making it a very enticing new itinerary for those interested.

K'dam is going to Alaska in summer 2020, to go through the new Panama Max Canal locks would be a very expensive premium, so she is sailing around the tip of South America to get there. Also making it a very enticing new itinerary for those interested.

Ahh so that's why she's (or is he) doing it? Thanks Carole - makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought of that.

I had looked at this and it's great as it does round trip from FLL - nice and easy - but, a hard look at the itinerary did not make it enticing for me. More than 1/2 the cruise is sea days and some key scenic cruising and ports in South America are missing. But, that's just me. I know it will appeal to many ;)

That is what I thought, but not because of the new Canal. I believe the Koningsdam can still transit the old canal. But it does cost a lot, maybe as much or more than a half a million dollars depending on the number of passengers onboard. It would be enticing for those who want to see SA, but not on the more expensive Grand Voyage. Even so that is still lots of ships going to SA. But maybe they will make more money there than in the crowded Caribbean market.

Ahh so that's why she's (or is he) doing it? Thanks Carole - makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought of that.

I had looked at this and it's great as it does round trip from FLL - nice and easy - but, a hard look at the itinerary did not make it enticing for me. More than 1/2 the cruise is sea days and some key scenic cruising and ports in South America are missing. But, that's just me. I know it will appeal to many ;)

Agree that the Koningsdam ‘s Voyage of the America’s doesn’t hit all the South American ports as the Grand Voyage. But we are talking about a 44 day cruise instead of a 68 to 80 day cruise that still circumnavigates the continent along with a significant price reduction as compared to a GV. That was enough for me to sign up!

That is what I thought, but not because of the new Canal. I believe the Koningsdam can still transit the old canal. But it does cost a lot, maybe as much or more than a half a million dollars depending on the number of passengers onboard. It would be enticing for those who want to see SA, but not on the more expensive Grand Voyage. Even so that is still lots of ships going to SA. But maybe they will make more money there than in the crowded Caribbean market.

It's been mentioned quite a bit - that K'dam is too wide for the old locks - she has to use the new pricier ones if she wants to cut through Panama.

Agree that the Koningsdam ‘s Voyage of the America’s doesn’t hit all the South American ports as the Grand Voyage. But we are talking about a 44 day cruise instead of a 68 to 80 day cruise that still circumnavigates the continent along with a significant price reduction as compared to a GV. That was enough for me to sign up!

Hope you have a fabulous time Ruth Ann :). We'll be doing South America just a few days before you on the Zaandam ;).

Question for Mickie, Did HAL send the cruise information to your TA at your request?

We were thinking of booking this cruise direct with HAL and not working with our 2018 WC TA.

When we pre-booked on-board, we did not give them our TA's name & address.

I think HAL sent booking to TA because she arranged the Future Cruise Credits several months ago at our request.C

The $200 was fine, but we're hesitant to be giving HAL $4800 more by NEXT WEEK!!!

HAL has already assigned a cabin and dining arrangements, none of which I have had a chance to review yet.

I imagine the reason I found the ship, dates and itinerary for the 2020 Grand S. America & Antarctic on the HAL website is that I logged in under Already booked, selected that cruise (where I discovered my new code for the booking) and then Manage my Booking. That's where I clicked on itinerary (upper left of that page) and got the itinerary.

The info may only be available at this time for folks who pre-booked.

David

It's been mentioned quite a bit - that K'dam is too wide for the old locks - she has to use the new pricier ones if she wants to cut through Panama.

There has been some commentary on the Celebrity boards that due to the design/positioning of the lifeboats on the Solstice class vessels that they cannot transit the Canal as a result, even though they would technically fit the new locks. I wonder if the Konigsdamam would have similar constraints due to her lifeboat design/placement? As the costs for the transit are passed along as part of the taxes, and HAL is a strong market leader in Canal Transits, I cannot imagine the added time/cost of the South American voyage on the Konigsdam was lower cost than going through the Canal to the West Coast, and having a longer Caribbean season or a short Mexico season on either end. Especially as longer cruises typically have lower revenues per day for ancillary spending than longer cruises.

There has been some commentary on the Celebrity boards that due to the design/positioning of the lifeboats on the Solstice class vessels that they cannot transit the Canal as a result, even though they would technically fit the new locks. I wonder if the Konigsdamam would have similar constraints due to her lifeboat design/placement? As the costs for the transit are passed along as part of the taxes, and HAL is a strong market leader in Canal Transits, I cannot imagine the added time/cost of the South American voyage on the Konigsdam was lower cost than going through the Canal to the West Coast, and having a longer Caribbean season or a short Mexico season on either end. Especially as longer cruises typically have lower revenues per day for ancillary spending than longer cruises.

There was a previous thread about this new K'dam SA cruise in which I reported that Captain Darin Bowland told us in his Captain's Chat that the placement of the lifeboats overhanging the side was not approved for ANY transit of the Panama Canal.

There was a previous thread about this new K'dam SA cruise in which I reported that Captain Darin Bowland told us in his Captain's Chat that the placement of the lifeboats overhanging the side was not approved for ANY transit of the Panama Canal.

WOW! Thanks for sharing that as I missed that post. ( I must have been cruising :D )

Enlightening indeed