Is HAL done with Traditional look?

Nymich

I agree. Love the look of the new ships. Still very elegant

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It truly isn't a "either or" thing.

And Cunard is definitely a niche market.HAL not so much. Sure,their smaller ships have their fans(to each their own.)but that is open to interpretation.

It truly isn't a "either or" thing.

And Cunard is definitely a niche market.HAL not so much. Sure,their smaller ships have their fans(to each their own.)but that is open to interpretation.

HAL very much has niche market and they should be marketing this because no other main stream cruise line has a fleet of smaller ships and great itineraries. As well as quieter, low key onboard experience.

Looking forward to the painting of graphics on the hulls of the ships, like NCL. ;-)

If HAL wants to be "modern" like other lines, do they add the rock-climbing walls and water slides before or after the graphics are added?

Color of the hull important? No

Graphic design on the hull important? Not really, but I hope HAL does not choose to go that route. (I thought having a signature tune played on the ship's whistle like Royal and Regal Princess was an idea, but was hooted down on CC.)

Change the logo on the funnel important? No

Change the slogan important? Well, maybe: "Signature of Excellence" still has a better meaning for me than "Savor the Journey".

What is important is the product that HAL provides within the hull and the service that the guest experiences before, during, and after the cruise.

I am thankful that I have lived long enough to see some changes in ships. Now, I won't, but I could write about other changes I have seen in other arenas that are harming folk, and it might be worth fighting them in another context. Regarding ships. I love the sea, the crew, and the itinerary, and can deal with other changes in Holland America. What a privilege to be able to see those changes!

Exactly our attitude.

We don't whine and pine for the past. We look forward to change, embrace the positives, and move forward. After all, who wants to live in the past?

There is little point in complaining about things we have no control over. We always have the final choice....to vote with our feet and our purse.

Exactly our attitude.

We don't whine and pine for the past. We look forward to change, embrace the positives, and move forward. After all, who wants to live in the past?

There is little point in complaining about things we have no control over. We always have the final choice....to vote with our feet and our purse.

Was planning to take a land vacation but happened to get a brochure for the Niew Statendam..gotta say,I'm getting sold!:cool: Love the look of it!

I am thankful that I have lived long enough to see some changes in ships. Now, I won't, but I could write about other changes I have seen in other arenas that are harming folk, and it might be worth fighting them in another context. Regarding ships. I love the sea, the crew, and the itinerary, and can deal with other changes in Holland America. What a privilege to be able to see those changes!

I so agree! Being a senior citizen does have some advantages.

I couldn't agree more. Traditional cruise ships are ships first & hotel second. The mass market cruise lines are hotels first that are build on ships hulls. The large mega ships are more a destination on to them self. The itinerary is second, you may as well go and cruise around in circles for a week. just my two cents worth.

Allan

You are absolutely right. Recently a friend told me about HER friends who are very excited to cruise on the new Norwegian Bliss. The attraction, they explained, was the outdoor go-kart track. The ship's itinerary was of no importance.

Last year I toured the Ruby Princess. Remembering PC's roots as Sitmar, and subsequent Love Boat and beautiful ships I had sailed on, I was very saddened to see - on the upper deck, outside of the spa - so much c--p blocking what should have been a spectacular view of the ocean. I turned 360 degrees, looking for the horizon. Nope, couldn't see it. The plastic palm trees, astro turf, indoor/outdoor retreat, tall pillars, light posts, etc. were all I could see. :(

You are absolutely right. Recently a friend told me about HER friends who are very excited to cruise on the new Norwegian Bliss. The attraction, they explained, was the outdoor go-kart track. The ship's itinerary was of no importance.

Last year I toured the Ruby Princess. Remembering PC's roots as Sitmar, and subsequent Love Boat and beautiful ships I had sailed on, I was very saddened to see - on the upper deck, outside of the spa - so much c--p blocking what should have been a spectacular view of the ocean. I turned 360 degrees, looking for the horizon. Nope, couldn't see it. The plastic palm trees, astro turf, indoor/outdoor retreat, tall pillars, light posts, etc. were all I could see. :(

May I never experience that end of the spectrum! (And hopefully that IS the other end of the spectrum!)

I’m so glad there is Holland America, and Cunard.

HAL is trying to move where the market is. They are a little late. Many of their competitors moved to where the market was going. They got the jump. I can't imagine that HAL will build any smaller ships. I suspect that the majority of their current traditional customers will not be willing to pay the fare that is required to operate them.

HAL's older ships can only get more and more expensive to operate. The writing is on the wall. It has been for some time.

Really, who cares if the hull is white or blue, or if the logo has changed slightly? Many cruisers are interested in the contents not the wrapper. They want options and choices. The older, smaller ships simply do not provide as many as the market would like to see.

I agree with you [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

If HAL wants to be "modern" like other lines, do they add the rock-climbing walls and water slides before or after the graphics are added?

Contemporary/modern style has nothing to do with rock climbing walls and water slides. I certainly don't see those features in "contemporary" designed ships like the Celebrity S class or on Viking....

People are conflating two different things: contemporary design and active features.

Personally, I am a fan of good contemporary design on ships. Design evolves also, and what folks are calling "Traditional" design today is really more of a 1980s take on traditional -- it certainly wasn't the decor on ocean liners of earlier ages, many of which featured Art Deco/Art Nouveau interiors.

Unfortunately, some lines can't seem to do "contemporary" well. I think Princess failed on Regal and Royal Princess, but Celebrity succeeded with their newer ships. That was one reason behind my earlier question on this thread regarding whether Koningsdam's design was more like one or the other...

Contemporary/modern style has nothing to do with rock climbing walls and water slides. I certainly don't see those features in "contemporary" designed ships like the Celebrity S class or on Viking....

People are conflating two different things: contemporary design and active features.

Personally, I am a fan of good contemporary design on ships. Design evolves also, and what folks are calling "Traditional" design today is really more of a 1980s take on traditional -- it certainly wasn't the decor on ocean liners of earlier ages, many of which featured Art Deco/Art Nouveau interiors.

Unfortunately, some lines can't seem to do "contemporary" well. I think Princess failed on Regal and Royal Princess, but Celebrity succeeded with their newer ships. That was one reason behind my earlier question on this thread regarding whether Koningsdam's design was more like one or the other...

My post was very much tongue in cheek.

As I indicated in a previous post, I think you'd be a fan of the K'dam's contemporary design, even if the MDR is a tad glitzy for my tastes. As for Celebrity, I agree wholeheartedly that they've done an excellent job to date. The Edge looks like it will carry on this trend, although the Magic Carpet possibly straddles the line between innovation and gimmickry.

My post was very much tongue in cheek.

As I indicated in a previous post, I think you'd be a fan of the K'dam's contemporary design, even if the MDR is a tad glitzy for my tastes. As for Celebrity, I agree wholeheartedly that they've done an excellent job to date. The Edge looks like it will carry on this trend, although the Magic Carpet possibly straddles the line between innovation and gimmickry.

Got it. ;)

At Edge's early prices, I doubt if I'll be sailing on her for a while -- not until well after the reviews start coming in.

Cruisemom... I like the Regal and Royal... Gorgeous and upscale contemporary... lots of tile, marble, nicer materials...

If any line is failing, and miserably, at more contemporary, it is HAL. The huge cavernous MDR, with those red and yellow stark primary colors... and cheap 'white'... looks like something school kids did with crayola. crayons. Those soaring 'musically inspired' bars that look like some kind of metal/wire cage... really???? Again, does not look like some true and talented design professionals with a real budge would ever create.

Take a look at the just released artist renderings of the Princess new-build.

VERY 'Celebrity'. And Princess is making some changes that def. seem to reflect that they are actually listening to their customer feedback.

Unfortunately... not so with HAL... They are building what looks to be a carbon copy of the K, and all changes that they seem to making, even fleet wide.. (the Crow's Nest). are def. being met with a lot of Unheard cruiser and HAL customer-based complaints.

The market is going in two main directions: behemoth floating entertainment diversionary ships that overwhelm and subsume any destination they reach, and smaller, high-end luxury ships beyond the average vacationer price point.

HAL can position itself right where it is right now and control an important third part of the cruise ship market: human scale midsize ships, fewer distraction frills that have nothing to do with ocean travel, high connection to the ocean going experience itself, travel for enrichment, and not over-whelming interesting ports around the world, at an accessible price point.

Long live HAL.

Cruisemom... I like the Regal and Royal... Gorgeous and upscale contemporary... lots of tile, marble, nicer materials...

If any line is failing, and miserably, at more contemporary, it is HAL.

I'm glad you like the new Princess ships; however, they are not to my taste. IMHO they look too much like Las Vegas. I prefer a quieter sort of contemporary look. Less bright brass, less weird colorful uplighting....

Edited to add: I was also not a huge fan in recent years of Princess' former ship decor, which was definitely becoming dated. For me, as I already said, the ship decor I like best at this moment is on Celebrity's ships and the clean Scandinavian design on Viking ocean ships.

Yes, some of that decor/design was, well, 'blah' and dated!!!

Have you seen the Artist Renderings of the Princess new-build?

And, I would not even begin to use the terms 'colorful uplighting' to Princess... Now, Carnival... Hahahaha!!!!!

Look very 'Celebrity' to me.

I also like that style a lot!

If our short list, after itinerary and price, comes down to two or three ships we will always select Celebrity. Ship decor, dining options, and NO indoor smoking clinches the deal. It is all personal preference.