What do we need--sailing with grands

Notarized permission letters from their parents. It should also include them giving you power to treat them medically in case of emergency. You can find some forms on line and take them to a bank or other place to get them notarized.

You need a notarized letter, signed by the parents, giving permission to:

Take the children out of the country on the cruise. List the dates and all the countries you intend to visit.

Make medical decisions on behalf of the children.

Sign activity waivers on behalf of the chidlren.

Notarized permission

Original birth certificate

Include dates as well as any added time for possible delays

Countries you will be visiting

Permission for excursions and activities both on and off the ship

Medical decisions if parents can't be reached

Have a great cruise. We've taken our 15 then a year later 16 year old niece on a Royal Caribbean cruise as well as one on Celebrity and all had a great time..

bosco

Notarized permission

Original birth certificate

Include dates as well as any added time for possible delays

Countries you will be visiting

Permission for excursions and activities both on and off the ship

Medical decisions if parents can't be reached

Have a great cruise. We've taken our 15 then a year later 16 year old niece on a Royal Caribbean cruise as well as one on Celebrity and all had a great time..

bosco

OP implied that the kids have passports, in which case birth certificates should not be needed.

Along with the documents previously suggested including medical insurance, I would also suggest a list of any medications they take. Also a list of their current shots just in case.

I would also take basic medication, such as children’s Tylenol. Kids stuff is not always easily available on board.

Bring alot of money, and spoil them rotten.:)

As grandparents getting ready to cruise with our grandson for the second time in three weeks, this might be the most important information. I have purposely not used my OBC because I know grandma will be busy in the shops and photo gallery with him. Enjoy, we had so much fun on our first cruise with our grandson we could not wait to do it again. At the risk of someone disagreeing with me on this site, we think that RCCL does an amazing job with young kids on these ships.

If you buy travel insurance, there is no need for the children’s medical cards. Presenting them as well as the travel insurance policy creates a temptation to double-bill. It happened to us. A transportation provider billed the travel insurance and our private insurance both the total travel bill. Thankfully we caught it. They then came after us for the amount that they had already been paid. Insurance commission put a stop to it.

Kay

If you buy travel insurance, there is no need for the children’s medical cards. Presenting them as well as the travel insurance policy creates a temptation to double-bill. It happened to us. A transportation provider billed the travel insurance and our private insurance both the total travel bill. Thankfully we caught it. They then came after us for the amount that they had already been paid. Insurance commission put a stop to it.

Kay

It's not unusual to bill both your primary insurance and travel insurance; usually one is considered primary that's the reason to have your insurance card. Travel insurance picks up what primary insurance didn't pay. Happens all the time and the insurance companies know this. If you are personally paid twice that's a different matter.

My children are grown up now but did quite a few sailings with their aunt and grand parents as teenagers. We weren't aware of the legal requirements to get notarised permission from parents. All they took was passports.

Perhaps we were just lucky and didn't get challenged or perhaps the requirements are US specific and not enforced in UK/Europe.

My children are now grown up so not something I need to be concerned about but it might be helpful to others doing European/UK sailings to get an authoritative view on this. Hopefully, someone on CC will oblige.

My children are grown up now but did quite a few sailings with their aunt and grand parents as teenagers. We weren't aware of the legal requirements to get notarised permission from parents. All they took was passports.

Perhaps we were just lucky and didn't get challenged or perhaps the requirements are US specific and not enforced in UK/Europe.

My children are now grown up so not something I need to be concerned about but it might be helpful to others doing European/UK sailings to get an authoritative view on this. Hopefully, someone on CC will oblige.

From Royal's UK website:

https://help.royalcaribbean.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115000746691-What-if-I-m-travelling-with-a-minor-and-I-m-not-the-parent-or-legal-guardian-

I think (unfortunately) times have changed. Cruiselines have to be concerned about human trafficking, legal and insurance liability, and also parental custody disputes. Such paperwork is usually needed, especially if passport has a different name, etc. Might not be asked for depending on port, staff, etc. but needed.