Key Cards in mailboxes?

kskelley40

I keep reading about some ships putting your key cards in your mailbox at your cabin? Haven't seen an explanation though.

Do you not get your key cards at check in on some ships? If not, how do you get on the ship?

What about drinks before your cabin is ready?

Any clarification out there?

We are sailing on Horizon next year if this helps.....

I keep reading about some ships putting your key cards in your mailbox at your cabin? Haven't seen an explanation though.

Do you not get your key cards at check in on some ships? If not, how do you get on the ship?

What about drinks before your cabin is ready?

Any clarification out there?

We are sailing on Horizon next year if this helps.....

Although this sounds like key cards in mailbox is the norm now, we have never experienced it, yet. From what I have read you will use your boarding pass to do anything, and everything until you get to your key card, 1:30 for us non Plat/Dim.

On Glory we got the key cards at the cabin and we used our boarding pass to buy drinks until then. On Pride we got the key cards in the terminal. As I understand it this is an attempt to keep passengers from going to their cabin until they are ready and to reduce check in time.

On Magic, key cards were in the mailbox. This was the fastest check-in we have ever experienced. We went straight to the cabin after boarding, so we didn't order any drinks until after we got our cards. However, you just show your boarding pass if you want a drink before going to your cabin or while waiting for it to be ready.

This is the result of either an internal Lean project

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_manufacturing

or a Six Sigma project https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Sigma

Basically the problem they (Carnival) wanted to resolve was the lines at check-in and reduce their clients frustrations at the apparent choke points with the embarkation procedure.

By using these tools, they can help determine the causes of the choke points but also determine if the desired results will require manpower/technology increases.

The results must have pointed to the way they used to deliver the S&S cards was a major choke point.

My experience on the Vista is that I would have to agree. All things being equal, with the assigned time slot for check-in, with the photo being takin with an iPad, with not having to wait for S&S card,,, I was thru check-in and on the ship much faster with less hassle and waiting around.

The room stewards do an awesome job putting the cabin keys out. Diamond Platinum & FTTF first. Then after all the cabins are cleaned and ready by 1:30, the room stewards put the rest of the cards in the mailboxes.

Another change I noticed. The word Diamond appears on my boarding pass, it was not there when Carnival 1st started using the boarding passes to get on the ship.

Going on the Breeze in April. Just curious if anyone who's been through the new "cards in the mailbox" check-in process also had the pre-paid Cheers! program. In the prior process, even before you were able to access your stateroom you could obtain the Cheers! sticker for your card at a bar and of course not pay for the drink as a program participant (except for sales tax while in departure ports). What about when you only have your Boarding Pass to get a drink? I assume the computer system knows all, including Cheers! participation? Do you still need to get a sticker once you do have your card in-hand? Thanks.

Years ago, Carnival would put excursion tickets in your cabin's mailbox the night before that port. Now, if cruisers don't have an S&S card, they shouldn't be in the cabin hallways getting in the way of the stewards doing their turnaround makeover.

In addition, and I've seen this a few times this year so far, elevators were manned by crew to take guests directly to the Lido deck, bypassing most cabin decks.

We experienced this on the Glory last year. We we printed our boarding passes, it printed individual boarding passes for each person. It did not give the option to print one.

The boarding pass is used in place of your Sign and Sail card UNTIL you can access your cabin and receive your card. The boarding pass can be used for ON BOARD charges until you get your cards that are in your mailbox.

This really made the check in process go a lot faster!

The cards will be in a secured envelope, and it tells you to go to guest services IF the seal is broke.

Going on the Breeze in April. Just curious if anyone who's been through the new "cards in the mailbox" check-in process also had the pre-paid Cheers! program. In the prior process, even before you were able to access your stateroom you could obtain the Cheers! sticker for your card at a bar and of course not pay for the drink as a program participant (except for sales tax while in departure ports). What about when you only have your Boarding Pass to get a drink? I assume the computer system knows all, including Cheers! participation? Do you still need to get a sticker once you do have your card in-hand? Thanks.

The sticker is not needed for Cheers. When they enter your folio number or swipe your card, the computer tells them you have Cheers. The computer also pops up your picture so they know if you are using the correct card or not.

The sticker is not needed for Cheers. When they enter your folio number or swipe your card, the computer tells them you have Cheers. The computer also pops up your picture so they know if you are using the correct card or not.

Thanks for all the info everyone. This sounds like a much more streamlined process.

Although this sounds like key cards in mailbox is the norm now, we have never experienced it, yet. From what I have read you will use your boarding pass to do anything, and everything until you get to your key card, 1:30 for us non Plat/Dim.

But every ship I’ve been on, you put your card in as you enter ship for the first time so they know you are onboard, just like when you return from a port. How are they dealing with this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But every ship I’ve been on, you put your card in as you enter ship for the first time so they know you are onboard, just like when you return from a port. How are they dealing with this?

As stated they scan your boarding pass when you board (it's linked to your onboard account so displays the same info as if they scanned your S&S). You also use it to buy drinks up until you get your S&S from the cabin.

Just like everything else, they scan the barcode on your boarding pass.