Airline cancelled flight, missed cruise, options?

laur371

The problem with Spirit and Frontier not only are there not always multiple flight to your location but there may not be flights every day. They made a good move flying in early but picked the wrong airline. Good luck hopefully they at least get credit for the cruise.

Even if they have multiple flights you can still get screwed. We were on the first flight of the day, Oakland to LA for the Rose Bowl, but all 6 flights between LA and OAK fly the same aircraft, so when the first flight from LA never took off, we were out of luck. Managed to make it by going over to SFO and catching Southwest. But lesson learned, never fly Spirit if you really need to be there.

Spirit that bad?

We have scheduled a Spirit flight Boston to Ft Lauderdale in January the day before the cruise, should I be worried?

It's been explained why you should be worried. I hope you also understand all of the extra charges you will have the opportunity to pay along the way.

My MIL was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and had to cancel a suite on the POA. NCL was very sympathetic, but still applied the cancellation policy and she lost 75% of the fare. Port charges, prepaid gratuities, and the 20% service charge of UBP and dining package were reimbursed at 100%.

They were able to use trip insurance through a credit card to recover the cost of one of the airfares. Too bad they didn’t use the same credit card for the cruise fare.

A hard learned lesson: DW booked her flight on United. MIL was booked on Delta. United allowed cash reimbursement for the death or terminal illness of a family member. Delta only allowed for a credit for a future flight within a certain number of months. MIL passed away less than four months after she was supposed to go on the cruise.

Edit: I recall that both airlines charged a change fee for the cancellation so they were both out of pocket.

Even if they have multiple flights you can still get screwed. We were on the first flight of the day, Oakland to LA for the Rose Bowl, but all 6 flights between LA and OAK fly the same aircraft, so when the first flight from LA never took off, we were out of luck. Managed to make it by going over to SFO and catching Southwest. But lesson learned, never fly Spirit if you really need to be there.

With over 20 flights on Spirt , I have never had a flight cancelled, delayed yes. I suppose it depends on airport.

DTW (Detroit) had multiple flights daily, but I always book the first one of the day and the day before a cruise.

OP good luck let's hope NCL is sympathetic .

It's been explained why you should be worried. I hope you also understand all of the extra charges you will have the opportunity to pay along the way.

Even with the baggage charge they usually are way, way better in price than others.

DW and I know their personal item size, which is free, and can pack quite nicely in them.

1 checked bag is very doable for a week, with the personal item size.

Spirit is awful! I flew down to Atlantic City (near my parents) a few years ago. After delaying my flight home a few times, they cancelled it outright. No other flights for 24 hours so I had to miss a day of work. Not weather related either.

Funny, I had this happen both times I flew with American Airlines. got home a day later that I was supposed to and missed a day of work. Both time it was mechanical issues, not weather related.

Needless to say, I will not be flying with AA again.

Spirit that bad?

We have scheduled a Spirit flight Boston to Ft Lauderdale in January the day before the cruise, should I be worried?

Hi, I live in Boston as well! I am the Above Poster. My parents live in the NJ area. Anyway, yes. I warned/begged/pleaded my parents not to take Spirit and they didn't listen. Now I warn/beg/plead with you. Spirit notoriously delays trips and cancels them. I never thought they'd flat out cancel, but nearly 100% of the time I've flown them, they do delay, ESPECIALLY during bad weather (like Boston in January!) If I were you, please look into trip insurance and see if it fits your budget to add on. Other airlines, if they cancel, sometimes help by putting you on another airline's flight for free. Spirit barely even answers their phone. Sorry.

Thank you, Arzeena. It is clear how kind hearted you are. A cruise out of NJ/NY looks like a great idea. You mentioned a cruise credit, and I wanted to clarify that they were not offered a credit. NCL didn't offer them anything. I spoke to Guest Relations. I will also be writing a formal letter, as others on this thread suggested, to try to convince Guest Relations to offer a credit. If you have any insight or past experience on how to compel Guest Relations to offer one, please let me know.

The cancellation policy was agreed upon when the cruise was booked. You are entitled to a refund of the port taxes. Nothing else. EVERYONE seems to think they have a good "excuse" for a refund, and it perplexes me, why all the exception/entitlement perceptions???

The only option I can suggest appling for is with the credit card payment. Essential documentation, screen shot the canceled flight notice. BUT it appears, there WAS an available flight, but you didn't want to pay for it??? That may negate any claim.

Hi, I live in Boston as well! I am the Above Poster. My parents live in the NJ area. Anyway, yes. I warned/begged/pleaded my parents not to take Spirit and they didn't listen. Now I warn/beg/plead with you. Spirit notoriously delays trips and cancels them. I never thought they'd flat out cancel, but nearly 100% of the time I've flown them, they do delay, ESPECIALLY during bad weather (like Boston in January!) If I were you, please look into trip insurance and see if it fits your budget to add on. Other airlines, if they cancel, sometimes help by putting you on another airline's flight for free. Spirit barely even answers their phone. Sorry.

Since your parents are in NJ maybe they can take a cruise to Bermuda? That really stinks they missed the cruise

Since your parents are in NJ maybe they can take a cruise to Bermuda? That really stinks they missed the cruise

Well, their vacation budget was just spent on a cruise they can't take. NCL doesn't give them credit unfortunately.

Well, their vacation budget was just spent on a cruise they can't take. NCL doesn't give them credit unfortunately.

Have they checked with the credit card they booked it with to see what kind of trip insurance they provide? I've seen multiple people suggest that but haven't seen a response on that yet.

Have they checked with the credit card they booked it with to see what kind of trip insurance they provide? I've seen multiple people suggest that but haven't seen a response on that yet.

Sorry for not responding. Yes, they checked. Their credit card doesn't offer any protection or insurance or reimbursement. I realize most cards do.

I'm so sorry your parents missed their cruise. Have you considered a "Go fund me" page. I know, I know, nobody wants to feel like they're begging but in this situation, I'd be so fine contributing to this type of thing.

As far as Spirit goes, please do your best to pursade them to use a different airline. I know they're inexpensive but totally unreliable IMO.

I wish you and your parents the best and hope you can find some way of giving them a better vacation.

Cheers.

Sorry for not responding. Yes, they checked. Their credit card doesn't offer any protection or insurance or reimbursement. I realize most cards do.
Well, shoot, I was really hoping that they would have had some protection.

Sent from outerspace

Are you sure it wasn't weather related on the Florida end? We have been having rough weather with violent storms moving from coast to coast of the state and causing flight delays and cancellations at all airports in the state.

This has been a problem for several days and the weather pattern may not change until this weekend.

Are you aware of any flights that were cancelled due to weather this week? I didn't see any weather that would generally result in cancellations.

Spirit that bad?

YES! You should be very worried! Been there. Done that. Many years ago and have not flown Spirit since then.

I don't have the time to tell you the unbelievable horror story. Just trust me and other's comments.

Good luck.

Are you aware of any flights that were cancelled due to weather this week? I didn't see any weather that would generally result in cancellations.

Bet it's just Spirit... not sure but just sayin'.

Jan. 6th, 2017, horrendous incident at FLL. Most airlines did their best to get pax home asap but spirit kept refusing, saying the flights out of FLL next day were full and pax who missed their flights due to the Jan. 6th incident would need to rebook and pay for a new flight. It wasn't the weather but it wasn't something Spirit had control over, however, other airlines, ours was Jetblue, made every effort to get us home asap.

Our young friend was stuck until we stepped in and insisted that they book her home asap. Spirit was not happy but when push came to shove, they relented and got her on the early flight from FLL to Boston and she was home for her BD celebration that evening.

Edited by All-ready2cruise