How formal is formal dress ?

Wow, just wow.....

Your signature regarding how to remove gratuities says everything about your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Its just advice about not following a suggestion, much like the advice you give on acceptable dress.

Its just advice about not following a suggestion, much like the advice you give on acceptable dress.

Not really the same thing. Dress shouldn’t affect others while removing gratuities does.

Suggesting that those that don’t choose to dress up must live in a Trailer Park and lack respect for others...... surly doesn’t respect others.

Wow! This conversation needs to end IMO....it's a cruise!! A vacation!!! FUN!!! EXCITEMENT!!! We leave tomorrow for Fort Lauderdale Florida and sail on Sunday! I'm just blessed we get to do this! Everyone take a big deep breath and imagine yourselves on board, drink in hand, sailing the seas....in whatever you want to wear.

Wow! This conversation needs to end IMO....it's a cruise!! A vacation!!! FUN!!! EXCITEMENT!!! We leave tomorrow for Fort Lauderdale Florida and sail on Sunday! I'm just blessed we get to do this! Everyone take a big deep breath and imagine yourselves on board, drink in hand, sailing the seas....in whatever you want to wear.
Exactly the way to do it.

You sound like you are going to have a fantastic time,good for you.[emoji106] [emoji485] [emoji482] [emoji484]

Why would it be a mistake? You can wear whatever you like.:confused:

It was the tone of the earlier response that surprised me a little. Just hope that guy doesn't wear a kilt on formal nights. Not a nice sight if the elevators have glass panes to the floor!

It was the tone of the earlier response that surprised me a little. Just hope that guy doesn't wear a kilt on formal nights. Not a nice sight if the elevators have glass panes to the floor!

Seen it on many crises. Very dressy. What about women with the short dresses and very low tops?

Until this...I hadn't even thought of bringing my kilt! Thanks for putting that idea in my head! :')

It clear that both of you respect others and when the ships lists a dress code you follow that code. Being social is a skill many today have lost. Guest pay thousands of dollars for cruises and want formal nights or the lines would stop them. But some others cannot show respect for guests and the ships on these formal nights and want to dress like they do in the trailer parks they live in.

It is a lack of respect and low self esteem from some who want to bring everyone down to the level they are on.

Says the guy who doesn't respect the crew enough to stop campaigning to convince people to remove the auto-grats.

Yes I agree unless you have paid money and signed a contract for passage which states a dress code. Does not matter if 5000 guests are on the ship and 4995 of them do not want to follow what the stated policy is. If the cruise line allows people to not follow the dress code stated and agreed to, then they have not met the terms of the contract for passage.

You need to review the contract (Cruise Ticket) again. It is extremely one sided, and there is no provision what so ever under which the company warranties anything to us, and could be found in breach.

There is no part of the Cruise Ticket (contract) or Guest Conduct Policy that addresses attire. So it would not be possible to put someone off for not dressing in the "suggested" attire. The contract does include the language below, meaning that they could not be sued, unless you could prove you were somehow at risk from how others dress.

c. CARRIER HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL LIABILITY TO THE PASSENGER FOR DAMAGES FOR EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, MENTALSUFFERING OR PSYCHOLOGICAL INJURY OF ANY KIND UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, WHEN SUCH DAMAGES WERENEITHER THE RESULT OF A PHYSICAL INJURY TO THE PASSENGER, NOR THE RESULT OF PASSENGER HAVING BEEN ATACTUAL RISK OF PHYSICAL INJURY, NOR WERE INTENTIONALLY INFLICTED BY THE CARRIER. WITHOUT LIMITING THEPRECEDING SENTENCE, IN NO EVENT WILL CARRIER BE LIABLE TO PASSENGER FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL,EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES.

In point of fact, there is nothing about a "Dress Code" at all. The language on the Royal Site is "Suggested Attire". This expressly implies flexibility.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

I believe Host Bob was correct when he said the other day, they don't change the Formal Night or other suggestions flat out because of the backlash on the satisfaction survey.

But some others cannot show respect for guests and the ships on these formal nights and want to dress like they do in the trailer parks they live in.

It is a lack of respect and low self esteem from some who want to bring everyone down to the level they are on.

Again, forgetting about personal feelings, this is just not factually correct. We eat in a lot of fine restaurants, related to work. We had dinner in New Orleans at a high end Featured Chef Restaurant. Dinner for 3 of us was $450. It was served in 5 courses, and the servers explained each course. My point is, they did not require jackets, ties, or collared shirts. The trend is moving away from coat and tie. I don't know of any corporate office that still dresses in suits and ties. I wear them on formal night as my choice, but I do not believe that people who choose not to dress up have "a lack of respect and low self esteem". It is simply no longer the social norm.

you guys read way too much into this. It comes down to one simple and fundamental rule. Mind your own business!!!

If anyone came up to me on a cruise and was angry for the way i was dressed. I would simply laugh in your face. Because i’m cruise ship tough. Oh and by the way. I don’t even wear underwear. So take that...

Sent from my ipad using forums

lmfao!! :')

You guys read way too much into this. It comes down to one simple and fundamental rule. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!!

If anyone came up to me on a cruise and was angry for the way i was dressed. I would simply laugh in your face. Because I’m cruise ship tough. Oh and by the way. I don’t even wear underwear. So take that...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1. I would like to pre-order my "Cruise Ship Tough" tee shirt. Hopefully it will include a graphic of someone dining in shorts and flip flops.

2. People in the underwear industry need to make a living too.

It clear that both of you respect others and when the ships lists a dress code you follow that code. Being social is a skill many today have lost. Guest pay thousands of dollars for cruises and want formal nights or the lines would stop them. But some others cannot show respect for guests and the ships on these formal nights and want to dress like they do in the trailer parks they live in.

What part of "you can be as formal as you want..." do you not understand? If you need others to dress a certain way, so that you can feel important, then maybe being on a ship with thousands of other individuals - who choose not to conform to an old tradition and create their own... is not for you.

"The greatest danger in times of turbulence is not the turbulence; it is to act with yesterday's logic" - Peter Drucker

Royal can end all this angst by just setting a policy and enforcing it. And if the policy is “wear whatever you want” then so be it.

I don’t comprehend the point of going to to trouble to have suggestions and then just ignoring them altogether. They must read boards like this and see all the angst the current arrangement causes.

Royal can end all this angst by just setting a policy and enforcing it. And if the policy is “wear whatever you want” then so be it.

I don’t comprehend the point of going to to trouble to have suggestions and then just ignoring them altogether. They must read boards like this and see all the angst the current arrangement causes.

It seems to me the only “angst” comes from those that want formal and let what others wear bother them.

It seems to me the only “angst” comes from those that want formal and let what others wear bother them.

Disagree. Casual cruisers have no idea what the rules are (or that there are no rules). They just see “formal night” and kind of freak out. We average one dress code thread per day, perhaps more. If Royal had (and enforced) a policy, there would be no need for these repeated discussions/arguments.

It does not bother us but I think you are right to a certain degree that some people do get upset when people don't dress up whereas they would be better served just enjoying their own Cruise and leave others to enjoy theirs.

Disagree. Casual cruisers have no idea what the rules are (or that there are no rules). They just see “formal night” and kind of freak out. We average one dress code thread per day, perhaps more. If Royal had (and enforced) a policy, there would be no need for these repeated discussions/arguments.

And I bet your for Formal and as you state, enforced dress codes.

Why does it bother you what others wear?

It does not bother us but I think you are right to a certain degree that some people do get upset when people don't dress up whereas they would be better served just enjoying their own Cruise and leave others to enjoy theirs.

That's how we roll. You can't do anything about it anyways. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I stopped wearing a suit and tie on Formal night and the boss no longer dresses fancy for those nights, about 3 years ago. A lot less to pack and lug around. We don’t enjoy our cruises less. Actually, I believe we enjoy them more, relaxing and not worrying about Formal dress.

I personally don’t wear shorts for dinner in MDR, Speciality Dinning, or CK. I wear a pair of slacks with a collared shirt. I could care less what others wear. We are on vacation and so are they.

Honest question. How would it benefit Royal Caribbean to do this?

If there is an official policy enforced, then either one group or the other will be coming at them. Right now, the stay neutral, and are like a dog listening to the flees fight. The benefit is in not alienating either side. I thought it was a policy, an agreed that they should get rid of it or enforce it, but it is a "suggestion", so there's no need to do either.

If LARGE numbers of people stop cruising with them. If they can make money off selling Formal Dining Room experience. If it can somehow impact their income, sure, but cruisers arguing among themselves, why do they care?

Agreed. I stopped wearing a suit and tie on Formal night and the boss no longer dresses fancy for those nights, about 3 years ago. A lot less to pack and lug around. We don’t enjoy our cruises less. Actually, I believe we enjoy them more, relaxing and not worrying about Formal dress.

I personally don’t wear shorts for dinner in MDR, Speciality Dinning, or CK. I wear a pair of slacks with a collared shirt. I could care less what others wear. We are on vacation and so are they.

For the last several RC cruise's I have not brought a jacket for formal night but still wear a tie with a long sleeved shirt with cufflinks and long trousers for formal night.