Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

6 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

First thing in the morning we get to hear the good news re Bob and Terry. That's the best way to start the day. 

Appreciate the kind follow-ups and comments.  For me, slept very well last night and am feeling excellent this am.  No pain and/or any challenges.  Looking good and solid to be able to be driving over tomorrow morning to Philadelphia to attend the Saturday afternoon wedding there in Bucks County.  

ALSO, the Big Ten college football season will re-start in late October.  Know that does not mean much or anything for those in the UK, etc., but for those of us in the Midwest, Pennsylvania, etc., that is BIG, positive news.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

182904742_ScreenShot2020-09-16at9_53_50AM.thumb.png.5bb7e129d8dbcf9869b5b82e0d6cbfb2.png

1749131720_ScreenShot2020-09-16at9_54_05AM.thumb.png.b7a57276fc844997308e39f20544a5be.png

• Like 1

Category 2 Hurricane Sally made a direct hit on my Condo in Gulf Shores Alabama. Luckily I was not there. Communications and power are out so waiting to hear about damage. It appears that a lot of damage was done in the area. Now expecting another 30" of rain. 2020 will be a year to forget!

16 minutes ago, englishusa said:

Category 2 Hurricane Sally made a direct hit on my Condo in Gulf Shores Alabama. Luckily I was not there. Communications and power are out so waiting to hear about damage. It appears that a lot of damage was done in the area. Now expecting another 30" of rain. 2020 will be a year to forget!

OMG.....so sorry about your condo!......glad nobody was hurt (or worse).

17 minutes ago, englishusa said:

So sorry about your condo.  We are about 5 hours east of you and the road has washed out again.  Coastal property is not for the faint of heart.

1 hour ago, englishusa said:

Now expecting another 30" of rain. 2020 will be a year to forget!

That sheer amount of moisture is almost unfathomable.  Since we get much more snow than rain here, I always quickly do the conversions when I see rain totals.  30" at this time of year would be about 300" whereas around Christmas, that same amount of rain would be more like 450".  Hopefully your condo didn't suffer much damage.  

2 hours ago, englishusa said:

WOW!!  That's a big hit.  Hope things work out, can get fixed in a reasonable manner and time-frame, etc.  The good news is that New Orleans did not get the "direct hit".  BUT, for parts of Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, etc., the turn and speed was much, much worse than expected.  Good luck!!

YES for Emtbsam in wisely saying"Coastal property is not for the faint of heart" and "I so hope we can all meet some day.  While I do know several of you, I can’t tell you how much I have appreciated all the support and understanding here."   Hope things are continuing to progress well for Bob in his recovery.  Keep us posted with any updates.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

2 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

I so hope we can all meet some day.  While I do know several of you, I can’t tell you how much I have appreciated all the support and understanding here.

Maybe we could even go on a cruise together!😃.....maybe?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, englishusa said:

Were there hurricane shutters there?

Meanwhile, here in the upper left corner (Oregon) we are surrounded by huge forest fires, hundreds of homes are ashes, thousands of people rendered homeless, evacuation orders, rising death toll, and day after day, week after week, dense acrid smoke in the valley and all over the state - they say the worst air quality in the world.  We would be so happy just to get a couple of inches or rain about now.  So how about it, Alabama & Florida - can you spare a few trillion acre feet??  We are used to being the part of the country that is sort of benign - no fire ants, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no Krispy Kreme shops, no big earthquakes (as a general rule).  Maybe the occasional volcano.  This change of status is taking some getting used to.  We want to get back to smirking about how the winter rains keep the Californians at bay.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Meanwhile, here in the upper left corner (Oregon) we are surrounded by huge forest fires, hundreds of homes are ashes, thousands of people rendered homeless, evacuation orders, rising death toll, and day after day, week after week, dense acrid smoke in the valley and all over the state - they say the worst air quality in the world.  We would be so happy just to get a couple of inches or rain about now.  So how about it, Alabama & Florida - can you spare a few trillion acre feet??  We are used to being the part of the country that is sort of benign - no fire ants, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no Krispy Kreme shops, no big earthquakes (as a general rule).  Maybe the occasional volcano.  This change of status is taking some getting used to.  We want to get back to smirking about how the winter rains keep the Californians at bay.....

I feel your pain. We used to live in Grants Pass, a half hour or so from Phoenix/Talent. We're in Reno with no fires nearby but bad smoke from CA fires. To tell the truth, people whining about not getting to go on a vacation seem blind to what's going on in this country/world. Stay safe.

Another foodie pic, this time of a light summery supper dish of gnocchi, tomato sauce and burrata. I'm not ashamed to admit to using shop-bought gnocchi.  I made this tomato sauce by softening onion and fennel in olive oil, adding grated garlic and a pinch of dried chilli, then some tom puree dissolved in dry vermouth, then a small tin of chopped tomatoes, season with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar. Simmer the whole thing for an hour or so.   Bring salted water to the boil and tumble in the gnocchi and simmer until they start to float to the surface.  Plate the gnocchi and sauce and then add the burrata which needs careful attention: drain the tennis ball-sized cheese and bring to room temperature.  Never serve burrata straight from the fridge.  Then tear it apart, never slice it, and drape the delectably creamy bits across your dish.  Adorn with parsley and basil. Pretty as a picture, just like this one -

DSC_0009.jpg

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Sending you all my best wishes.........the pictures look devastating...........the country is falling apart☹️

Good news...Bob is home less than 48 hours post-surgery!  We are both surprised but very pleased.  Thanks again for all hour concern.

The fires sound dreadful as is the flooding from Sally.  We lost most of our coastal road, but that is not unusual.  Let us hope that the climate stabilizes soon.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Good news...Bob is home less than 48 hours post-surgery!  We are both surprised but very pleased.  Thanks again for all hour concern.

The fires sound dreadful as is the flooding from Sally.  We lost most of our coastal road, but that is not unusual.  Let us hope that the climate stabilizes soon.

Sending Bob my best wishes🙂

As for the climate stabilizing?  I would not hold my breath anytime soon...................

Good info for those of you contemplating using the Russian Vaccine. 

I'm sure this will shock to you but thought I would let you guys know, that yesterday I volunteered for the vaccine trials for Covid-19, held here in the area. The vaccine is one that was created in Russia.

I received my first shot yesterday at 4:00 pm, and I wanted to let you all know that it’s completely safe, with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι χoρoshό я чувствую себя немного странно и я думаю, что вытащил ослиные уши.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4