Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

57 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Ok JP.  Sadly it is the neverending bag of M and M's.   And I say sadly because it is empty.

There is an easy solution to the serious challenge facing Spins.  Do what I just did.  Go to grocery store.  They'll have more M&M's!!  Below is one little item I just purchased during my early afternoon trip there to pick up an Rx.  My treat?  It's HoHo's!!   I heard that they will provide protection against Covid-19.  Right?

Key question:  What is your favorite Hostess treat you love most?  Do folks in the UK, Australia, etc., have access to Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Hostess Cupcakes, etc.?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

IMG_5420.jpeg.cc4f7e4fb7f473840e86521707c53f1d.jpeg

• Haha 2

UK calling - M&Ms we understand (though us oldies think of them as Smarties). As for the others - no idea (and my wife is American!)

The main US things we have to try to find in UK are Oreos (common now) and Graham Crackers (needed for the base of her awesome Boston Cream Pie). Otherwise my DW has realised that much of the UK produce is as good if not better than the US stuff (Hershey bars are awful for example). We now get most of our food from our local farmer's market (weekly markets in Central London - what's not to like).

Having lived in the UK for longer than the US now, my wife still goes nuts for cod and chips and roast lamb (both of which were silly expensive in the US apparently).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Never heard Hershey bars referred to as produce before, but I like your thinking. 😁

I have had a smacked botty from CC in the past for 'use of inappropriate language' AKA Brit Squaddie speak. I decided not to call Hershey bars what they really are: "Brown lumps fit only for flushing which are produced from you-know-where".

• Haha 1

So long as we are on this subject, I never ate those yodels or twinkie or little Debbie things growing up.

My Dad was insulin dependent diabetic from the age of 21. Sweets were verboten in our house as were some other things like grapes and fried foods.

Ironic that my Dad had no qualms about a good dry martini!

Some where along the way I did discover m and m's. And then I had a child with a peanut allergy. Just touching m and m's gave her hives. 

The Silversea m and m's are of course quite special. Once the bag is close to empty it fills up again as if by magic.  I brought the bag home but it hasn't yet filled on its own. Buying the m and m's on my own is an easy fix but not the same.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Canada truly is the world's most civilized country 

Thank you kind sir!  We do offer some things that may not seem civilized.  Poutine for example.  It is delicious!  It does look like a hot mess though.

1383239551554.jpeg.3686dfbdf80eac3a1df09441038eec61.jpeg

17 minutes ago, mysty said:

Thank you kind sir!  We do offer some things that may not seem civilized.  Poutine for example.  It is delicious!  It does look like a hot mess though.

1383239551554.jpeg.3686dfbdf80eac3a1df09441038eec61.jpeg

They look like filthy chips to me M. Chips (US translation Fries).My own recipe is  Chips, tossed in a pan of butter with bacon lardons and red onions and then sprinkled with grated cheese, smothered in BBQ sauce and grilled. Of course I’m not allowed them on my keto diet (4 stone down since lockdown started). They are amazing though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

They look like filthy chips to me M. Chips (US translation Fries).My own recipe is  Chips, tossed in a pan of butter with bacon lardons and red onions and then sprinkled with grated cheese, smothered in BBQ sauce and grilled. Of course I’m not allowed them on my keto diet (4 stone down since lockdown started). They are amazing though.

I did warn you DW!  Yours sound much more refined. 😁

Hey! I resemble that comment. 🤣

I made a tasty dish in the crockpot tonight. Some sauteed onion, garlic, and browned Italian sausage, tossed in the slow cooker with tomatoes, water, and farro. It cooked while we went out for a walk, then went shopping. When we got back from the store, I made some seasoned breadcrumbs, then ladled it into individual containers and melted some mozzarella on top under the broiler. Voila!

20200923_185246.thumb.jpg.39844da6b7a06735fa2d56324d44fdba.jpg

Farro and Sausage Parmigiano. Was very tasty, and I made two small ones for lunch later this week.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

What brand of Gin did you buy? 😉

LOL. We are well-stocked for the next week or so. I have a bottle of Hendrick's Midsummer Solstice, a bottle of Magellan, plus Broker's and some Tanqueray No. 10. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Farro and Sausage Parmigiano. Was very tasty, and I made two small ones for lunch later this week.

I've never heard of farro before, knowing that the same foods sometimes have different names in the US and the UK.  Looking it up it seems to be something like a cross between couscous and pearl barley. 

Looking at the pix of American 'treats', I don't know any of them, but did once buy a packet of Oreos, which I think are a favourite biscuit/cookie, and really could not understand why people rave about them.    I believe they got thrown in the bin - is it me, or do others  find them pretty awful?

One biscuit we do love is Lotus - the ones you get with a coffee sometimes in a cafe - and can buy in packets - originally got them because we used to have various Lotus cars, but we find them addictive, as do our young ones.  Crisp and a bit spiced.  Maybe only in the UK.

41 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Looking at the pix of American 'treats', I don't know any of them, but did once buy a packet of Oreos, which I think are a favourite biscuit/cookie, and really could not understand why people rave about them.    I believe they got thrown in the bin - is it me, or do others  find them pretty awful?

Oreos are not in the same league as plain chocolate Digestives or plain chocolate Hob-Nobs (or even bourbons).