Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

In the Philadelphia area right now after driving over yesterday.  All went well, including no pain and/or any other "complications" from my Tuesday kidney stone procedure.  The Saturday afternoon wedding will be outdoors.  

As we were getting ready to depart yesterday from our home in Columbus, we had three deer grazing on our front lawn.  Below is a picture of one of the older deer.  The other two were cute babies.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Here is our front-lawn visitor getting his breakfast yesterday.  Cute?  BUT, our flowers, etc., have suffered from these visitors doing too much dining at our home.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

CMC_1914.jpeg.99411eb050deacf70a22bfd9e9ec8cd2.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Great news about Bob!  Hes out of the hospital and in good care at home!

YES!!  Great news about Bob and his wonderful progress.  Always good to be home and out of that hospital environment!!

Below are a couple of "oldie voices" with some wisdom??

1448747200_ScreenShot2020-09-18at8_30_13AM.thumb.png.88b9c33fa9682243a1ec3f1c4800b521.png

1727827287_ScreenShot2020-09-18at8_29_50AM.thumb.png.25c9ec1815377b57a5e933c156ab9eef.png

Good morning,  Terry, maybe you had a totally different procedure than I went through.....you were able to drive from

Ohio to PA without any issues? And you only had the procedure on Tuesday?  I don't think we went through the same

thing. Glad you are feeling so much better within 3 days.   Sounds like it was totally different from mine............

As for the wedding you are attending, I hope everyone stays safe. There have been so many

events lately where 1 person ended up having the virus and spread it to multiple others.😲

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

Sad news that Justice RBG passed away tonight.

17 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

agreed spins

3 minutes ago, clo said:

So sad. "Notorious RBG" was a hero.

A great loss!  So very sorry!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Sad news. 2020 really outdid itself.

Yes, another 2020 memory we will never forget.......let's see what else happens this year...........not sure I even

want to think about THAT.......☹️

• Thanks 1

I thought the UK had managed to have one of the highest number of fatalities per 100,000 of the population,  but it seems that the USA just  about matches us.  That is a huge number of people.     Please please let it improve soon, all over the world.

Looks like we may go back into  lockdown again soon.  It is quite hard not to feel depressed, and think instead of lovely things.  The funnies continue to help, and I have found a thread on P and O  UK of great photos, in alphabetical order, and they are putting some excellent ones up, particularly the scenic  ones, which least remind you of  good times.  

Lola

26 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Looks like we may go back into  lockdown again soon.  It is quite hard not to feel depressed, and think instead of lovely things. 

Lola

Good Afternoon Lola,

I was a little saddened to read of you glumness as it is not something that we should encounter at this stage in our lives.  Perhaps the focus on Cooler and generally mighe be a little more about what people are doing to lift themselves, not in any way to be competitive but simply on the off chance that someting someone else is doing might be good for others.

I hate to confront you with this but you have an obligation to be happy and self-indulge to escape all this stuff because you are here in The Cooler and if I remember correctly even though it may be factually correct or not, I'm a day or so younger than you but managed I think to baptise you as "Lola" ie L O L A Lola la-la-la-la Lola Well I'm not the world's most physical guy. But when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine. Oh my Lola la-la-la-la Lola" .  Just remember your never too old for Kinky Boots and to indulge el Jeffo.

It turns out that a couple of days ago I reached a horrible iconic birthday and today it's the wifes turn.  Our last venture out was Christmas markets in Vienna and to any real way we've been in lockdown pretty much since simply because of the gap we had when we cancelled Singapore and what followed and I've just cancelled Vienna for this set of Christmas markets..

The way we cope is by ignoring it all and not taking in any of the detail and indulging ourselves in all the stuff we felt to guilty to indulge ourselves in so far. So I have a new virtual pintable, a wonderful soundbar for the TV, a new Blu Ray player and a growing library of expensively restored classic films and loads of streaming  and as you know a truck load of champagne that I have a sworn duty to imbibe.  I annot tell you how wondweful it is to drink really good champagne pretty much daily and the only fear being that there might be some left over if you don't drink enough.

My suggestion is that you forget about following the virus and recalibrate your life.  Switch off the news.  No good will come of following it all.  What will be - will be.  Don't fret over stuff over which you have no control but concetrate on stuff over which you have at least some control.  Indulge yourself and drink more expensively.  Eat well. Enjoy not having anything to do and leave the woke world to those who observe wokedom. The wonderful thing about our age is that you can forget all the stuff about not doing stuff that is harmful.  We're lucky to have survived this far so relax.  Be happy with what you have rather than what you don't have and stop yearning for it.  If what you yearn for does turn up in the future enjoy it then.

Anyway.  Nuff of me.  Keep your pecker up and drink more and take in more jazz.

Jeff  🙂

A38D2137-A690-408C-BEC3-A6AFCB0800EB.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 4

Fair enough, Jeff.  I only have an occasional bad moment, and should not have inflicted one on the Cooler.  As it happens, I am I think a great deal older than you, and do have a few things at home to put up with, which I wouldn't dream of boring anyone with.

Like many of us, I am drinking a bit more than usual, though trying not to become an old soak, and enjoying it.  I now find that my favourite cocktail, over the past many years, the Negroni, is also much indulged in by the so-called top Tories.   It is so easy to make, exactly one third of gin, martini rosso and Campari, poured straight into the glass, with ice and an orange slice.  It only takes a few seconds, which is the second reason for liking it, when you are desperate

I have been enjoying your jazz videos hugely, thanks for those.  And, as you can tell from this, feeling more cheerful already.

Lola

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lincslady said:

P.S.  I don't actually like champagne much, apart from Krug, and my other half is not keen either, sadly.

I suspect that there is a perfect champagne for each of us and that it's pretty accurate to say that when you find the right one or two it can be sublime and then everything else isn't right.

Saddened by hearing of home stuff and I just hope you can find some shrugness and push on a little. Whatever else, I feel that I'm fortunate to be alive and not have some of the challenges that others have and I therefore feel guilty at what seems like the self indulgence when I feel a bit glum. That approach helps no one else but we all deal with stuff the best way we can. Hope things improve for you,  If not I recommend Absolut Vanilla. 🙂

• Like 1

Forget about the virus? And not follow the news? Sorry, that is not happening.  Or I should say, maybe some folks

can do that....and I thought we talk about everything on this thread.......Lola, you may certainly vent whatever your

thoughts on things are----in my opinion anyway.

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Forget about the virus? And not follow the news? Sorry, that is not happening.  Or I should say, maybe some folks

can do that....and I thought we talk about everything on this thread.......Lola, you may certainly vent whatever your

thoughts on things are----in my opinion anyway.

I'm with you. I study this situation and talk to others, who educate me and hopefully I them. Actually one of my least favorite groups are those who keep their heads in the sand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Looks like we may go back into  lockdown again soon.  It is quite hard not to feel depressed, and think instead of lovely things. 

1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good Afternoon Lola,

I was a little saddened to read of you glumness as it is not something that we should encounter at this stage in our lives.  Perhaps the focus on Cooler and generally might be a little more about what people are doing to lift themselves, not in any way to be competitive but simply on the off chance that something someone else is doing might be good for others.

Lola it is good to have you back here in the Cooler as well as having El Jeffo visiting as well!  You are both long-time Cooler denizens (not old!) and many lovely conversations happened over the scarred Cooler Bar.  Your bar stools have been dusted recently and the peanut shells swept up.

I think there may have been some confusion over your El Jeffo recent post.  The suggestions you offered our dear friend Lola were spirit lightening things that work for you J and would probably work for a number of us.  I certainly like them!  There was NO suggestion that your approach would work for everyone or that everyone should jump on that band wagon.  Everyone is attempting to keep their heads above water (or COVID germs in this case).  People need to find a way to cope and any and all suggestions are worth giving space to. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all of you for varied views.  Just for its revenge, my computer appeared to conk out, and after a couple of frantic calls to DIL, who is a whizz, turns out the router was playing up.  All good (for now).  It is quite important, at present, as apart from all else I order my groceries online each week, and would have been a bit stuck this week.  And as I said, feeling better already, especially with your supportive messages - including (most of) Jeff's!  Just poured a g and t as well.

Such is life,

Lola

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Just for its revenge, my computer appeared to conk out, and after a couple of frantic calls to DIL, who is a whizz, turns out the router was playing up.  All good (for now).  It is quite important, at present, as apart from all else I order my groceries online each week, and would have been a bit stuck this week. Such is life, Lola

Been busy and active at the Cooler.  Glad that Lola's tech challenges were solved.

In beautiful and historic Bucks County north of Philadelphia for the outdoor afternoon wedding of the daughter of friends who traveled with us on Silversea Amazon River and Alaska cruises.  Staying right near Newtown that was founded by William Penn in the 1600's.  Lovely and very historic, including from when George Washington was camped here in 1776 in preparing for battles against the UK during our Revolution, etc.  

Yesterday spent time at the Barnes Foundation in downtown Philadelphia.  This artistic collection is amazing and valued by some at as much as $25 billion.   That's right, BILLION with a "B"!   Below are only a few visuals as proof.  Very in-depth with the works by various and well-known Impressionist, Post-Impressionist and Modernist masters.  This collection  includes a wide range of top European and American artists, plus African art, antiquities from China, Egypt, and Greece, etc.  Well worth the time to see fascinating collection and learn its history connected to this one collector.

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,991 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

In the middle of these two below visuals it shows famed portraits by Pierre-Auguste Renoir. Overall, this collection includes 181 paintings by Renoir, sixty-nine by Cézanne
fifty-nine by Henri Matisse and forty-six by Picasso.  These displays are arranged the way Dr. Barnes had organized it in his original home with a variety of historic furniture, iron works, etc. all placed in fairly small rooms.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

CMC_1928.jpeg.cb39859b80a3ea5b99810067798d3d4b.jpeg

CMC_1932.jpeg.9e5df19e28566ec6e6dff9f8bbfdbb2f.jpeg

Like these?  My wife is looking at a Paul Cézanne "Portrait of Madame Cézanne" with a Vincent van Gogh titled "Still Life" to the right with other famed paintings nearby. Second below is a picture of Matisse's Madras Rouge from 1907:

CMC_1943.jpeg.a0888d0a23a297ac8962565410e9449c.jpeg

CMC_1953.jpeg.6cccac5cf6b6b2596fbff6f20b0c1c48.jpeg

Here is how the innovative technology works at this museum.  With a cell phone and their app, you take a picture of any painting or art work of interest for the entire collection.  Then, it takes you to the complete background on that artist and the work, etc.  In the top picture is Vincent van Gogh"s "Portrait of the Postman Joseph Roulin" from 1889.  The final picture below shows me using my iPhone to gain the history and background for Pablo Picasso's Acrobate et jeune Arlequin (Acrobat and Young Harlequin) from 1905.  Plus, another Picasso to the left of my iPhone.:

CMC_1940.jpeg.38ac7b3b9c152a3da1ec54530b628d45.jpeg

CMC_1956.jpeg.dd01ac7222d6e04265105a48a64dbba8.jpeg

• Like 1