Housekeeping Refusal?

We often at short hotel stays decline room being serviced and just ask for supplies we need if any. On ship we find it a bit different as we are never inconvenienced and uncertain of cleaning times like in hotel. They seem to appear and disappear without us knowing. We lock up personals but have never ever had any problem with any of our ship stewards like we have had with hotel service staff. And due to security reasons now days they are going to want to make sure everyone is ok so just be in communication with them every day or so while you are coming and going and let them know ahead what your wishes are. I am sure they wont mind skipping a room from a standpoint of work load but they also will be afraid that you will cut out your tip that will effect them also. But i have to agree with others, we look forward to the level of service we get from stewards.....and then get sad when we come home and find out that no one is there to do the same for us at home!!!

Lol, but think of all the repurcussions. There will be so many quitting their jobs to become a cabin steward on a Galapagos islands cruise!

How many people do you know, who get PAID to relax and enjoy a free cruise to the exotic Galapagos islands???

That's not how a business works. If there were no demand for a service, the company would have no need to employ people to provide that service. Many people like to be pampered on a cruise so that hypothetical situation won't happen.

I have been paid to do some amazing traveling. If my housekeeping refusal means the steward on my trip gets an easier job for one week in the Galapagos, I have no reason to be jealous of that. I seriously doubt everyone on my cruise will decline these services.

Now we have gotten off topic.

That's not how a business works. If there were no demand for a service, the company would have no need to employ people to provide that service. Many people like to be pampered on a cruise so that hypothetical situation won't happen.

I have been paid to do some amazing traveling. If my housekeeping refusal means the steward on my trip gets an easier job for one week in the Galapagos, I have no reason to be jealous of that. I seriously doubt everyone on my cruise will decline these services.

Why are you ignoring those that want to know how often you change your sheets at home? I don't know ANYONE that does this.

I started a similar thread before. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2540639

Consensus was a bit that you'd "be screwing up the system". Which is not how the steward reacted, but simply asking couldn't hurt I guess.

Thank you - the thread you started is helpful! I read through the responses. Many seem a bit over-the-top. I will just be straightforward with the steward from the beginning but will stay open-minded about their possible reactions. I'm not sure why it is so different on a cruise ship - housekeeping inspections, etc. It seems excessive. It really should be just like turning down services at a hotel.

Why are you ignoring those that want to know how often you change your sheets at home? I don't know ANYONE that does this.

I think you meant to reply to pris993. No one has asked me how often I change my sheets and I never brought it up. (And I don't know anyone who changes their sheets every day or requests it in hotels.)

I've seen the prices on the kind of trip you are taking, as as much as I would really like to, I don't think I'll ever choose to do it. But I hope it's a bargain for you.

Would you mind talking about how you get there? (no costs, just the logistics)

Maybe the Celebrity ship is different, but I've been researching Galapagos trips this weekend (on private boats). Most (if not all) of them do not allow toilet paper in the toilets (like you often find in developing countries). That is trash I would definitely want taken out daily, so you would want to check on that.

Maybe the Celebrity ship is different, but I've been researching Galapagos trips this weekend (on private boats). Most (if not all) of them do not allow toilet paper in the toilets (like you often find in developing countries). That is trash I would definitely want taken out daily, so you would want to check on that.

A private yacht, even one operating in US waters, is not required to have a wastewater treatment plant that a cruise vessel would have. MARPOL Annex IV (sewage) exempts vessels less than 400 tons that carry less than 15 passengers from having a MARPOL compliant wastewater treatment plant. So, those yachts (private boats) will typically have a simple holding tank to hold the sewage while in protected waters like the Galapagos, and therefore either special marine toilet paper or no toilet paper will be allowed into the system. Any MARPOL compliant system will be able to handle "normal" toilet paper, even a small expedition cruise ship like these Celebrity ships.

Haha, yeah I read that too and thought that might be the case. If so, they can certainly take the trash out every day, which I am fine with. I still don't want them making the bed or cleaning the room. Actually, ESPECIALLY if they are handling baskets of used toilet paper - all the more reason to limit the amount of things they handle in my room on a daily basis.

I've seen the prices on the kind of trip you are taking, as as much as I would really like to, I don't think I'll ever choose to do it. But I hope it's a bargain for you.

Would you mind talking about how you get there? (no costs, just the logistics)

I booked all my own flights directly. We're using American Airlines from Miami and flying into Guayaquil two days before the cruise. The next afternoon we're flying LATAM to Balta, taking the 10-minute ferry to Santa Cruz, and staying one night there. We will arrange transfer back up to Baltra to meet up with the cruise people late the next morning. After disembarking on the last day of the cruise, we're flying back to Guayaquil and staying over night before heading back to the states. I like to keep some buffer time between flying in and out in case of delays.

Ideally, we would have liked to spend time exploring mainland Ecuador. If we had more time it would have made more sense to fly in and out of Quito. Unfortunately, our work schedules do not allow more time. We will save mainland Ecuador exploration for another trip - perhaps combining with an Amazon adventure!

I like to book directly with hotels and airlines, so booking a cruise is very different for me. It's a lot of money but I don't see myself (at this point) booking any other cruises. The only exception would be an Antarctica trip - that one would have to be a cruise as well.

Edited by NatureTravelPants

Why would he talk to the supervisor. By doing that, it implies that you do not trust your cabin steward. This could impact the steward's job rating. The steward could handle all of these things w/o involving the supervisor.

DON

Because if the supervisor is not informed, the steward could get in trouble for not servicing the room.

If you don’t want service on a specific day, make sure to actually tell your cabin steward. Otherwise they will spend all day checking to see if you have finally taken your do not disturb sign down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you don’t want service on a specific day, make sure to actually tell your cabin steward. Otherwise they will spend all day checking to see if you have finally taken your do not disturb sign down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

V ery good suggestion

This ship and situation is unique, not like a huge ship with hundreds of cabins to clean. Just for kicks I looked up a review for this ship. Sounds like quite an adventure! I don't think OP will have to worry about housekeeping and such - seems the ship holds 98 pax and 64 crew. I'm sure s/he can have a word with the steward and voice the concerns about housekeeping, and go from there.

Here is the review from Host Anne on the Celebrity page (Xpedition section on the right hand side):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2588363&highlight=xpedition

A private yacht, even one operating in US waters, is not required to have a wastewater treatment plant that a cruise vessel would have. MARPOL Annex IV (sewage) exempts vessels less than 400 tons that carry less than 15 passengers from having a MARPOL compliant wastewater treatment plant. So, those yachts (private boats) will typically have a simple holding tank to hold the sewage while in protected waters like the Galapagos, and therefore either special marine toilet paper or no toilet paper will be allowed into the system. Any MARPOL compliant system will be able to handle "normal" toilet paper, even a small expedition cruise ship like these Celebrity ships.

Thanks for the info. Interesting. And I would expect Celebrity to account for the fact this would be unusual for their usual clientele.

Although I would argue that some of the yachts are the same size as the Xploration (i.e., 16-30 person catamarans). And it is only 319.5 tons. ;)

not going on a "cruise"

all discussion is moot ......

sounds more like a dive 'liveaboard' to me ....

any comparison to a 'cruise' is accidental!

Weird, it was marketed by Celebrity as a cruise... Anyway, I don't think it's fair to say the discussion is moot. I had a legitimate question and I've found some of the responses to be very helpful. If I got something out of it, it's not a moot discussion.

This ship and situation is unique, not like a huge ship with hundreds of cabins to clean. Just for kicks I looked up a review for this ship. Sounds like quite an adventure! I don't think OP will have to worry about housekeeping and such - seems the ship holds 98 pax and 64 crew. I'm sure s/he can have a word with the steward and voice the concerns about housekeeping, and go from there.

Here is the review from Host Anne on the Celebrity page (Xpedition section on the right hand side):

Actually, OP is on Xpedition's small cousin, the Xploration. 48 passengers

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-ships/celebrity-xploration

OP is not going on this ship. He is going on Xploration catamaran with 8 cabins and 16 passengers. Most of the discussion isn't relevant as it is not a cruise ship in the sense most posters were assuming.

Actually, OP is on Xpedition's small cousin, the Xploration. 48 passengers

Thank you.

OP is not going on this ship. He is going on Xploration catamaran with 8 cabins and 16 passengers. Most of the discussion isn't relevant as it is not a cruise ship in the sense most posters were assuming.

Thank you, got it.