OceanView Dinner

charlielinda

Do all the ships have made to order chicken and steak at dinner in the buffet area. We always go to dining room or specialty and thought it would be fun to eat under the stars. What type of things do they have. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From my experience all of the ships have a buffet in the evening as well as a station to cook Steak, Chicken and Salmon to order. I ate there one evening while my spouse wasn't feel well and skipping dinner.

I was favorably impressed with the dinner.

Choices change nightly or they did on our recent cruise. One night they had 3 types of fish to choose from. On another night, there was a choice of chicken breast, grilled steak and a fish dish. The choices will be displayed in front of the station.

We discovered on a Med cruise on the Connie this spring that they were bringing on food from the ports in the buffet, such as fresh mussels. Much more variety in the buffet than in the MDR which has had the same menu forever. We were on a B2B, so it was nice to have some variety instead of repeating the menu from the previous cruise. I found far more innovative salads up in the buffet than I've ever had in the MDR. We actually ate more in the buffet than we did in the MDR.

In 2016 we were on a series of cruises which included a Norwegian fjords itinerary. Some of those sail outs along those long fjords were spectacular and we didn't want to miss them. We had dinner several nights in the Eclipse's Ocean View and were surprised. And then we were on the Infinity last May on a port intensive Pacific Coastal. We found ourselves eating much larger lunches than we usually consume on shore on that cruise, so again headed up to the Ocean View for dinner. I think that Celebrity is making an effort to ramp up the offerings in the Ocean View.

But back to the OP's question, not only will there be a grill to order station, there will also be a station with carved meats (varying from roast turkey to pork loin to ham to beef). And of course a salad bar. There will also be a "themed" station.

They have different specials and themes every night. We normally eat around 8:30. One night walking back from the Oceanview Bar, they had set up whole filets and whole ribeyes sitting on ice. We decided to eat up there that evening. We asked him for a 1 1/2" center cut filet. He pulled up a fresh one and sliced it up and grilled it for us. It was excellent. We missed the night they bought fresh fish from the port prior to sailing and that was part of the dinner in the Oceanview.

If you eat late or at the 2nd seating, I think it's worth checking out -- it's a great change of pace.

We discovered how nice the OV buffet is on our Eclipse cruise earlier this year. Both of us caught colds in the first couple days on the ship and decided not to expose people in the DR. Never ate in the buffet at night before. Over the next 4 nights or so, we thought the food was very good and without the crowds like at breakfast and lunch, it was quite pleasant.