Huge price drop after final payment

pchen0

Yikes! I know I would be very disappointed, which is why my DH tells me not to even look after final payment.

We have learned if we do not need to fly we only book Celebrity cruises after final payment. We don't care where we are on the ship as long we are on it.

We just finished a 14 night Canada / New England cruise we paid $949 per person for an inside cabin. Got a nice cabin deck 8 forward.

We're on a 10 night Ultimate Caribbean in November on the Reflection. I discovered today that the C1 Balcony Cabin we booked had dropped in price by £500. I called Celebrity and they initially said there was nothing they could do as full payment had been taken. However, she then spoke to her supervisor and I was soon offered either $300 on board credit or a free upgrade to Concierge Class. We took the upgrade.

I suspect they're change of heart was due to us having another future cruise booking. Either way my advice is, if you don't ask, you don't get.

Good luck

Were you booked directly with Celebrity or were you booked through a TA?? We are now past final payment and booked through a TA, she said there was nothing to be done. I'm seeing that the price of our cruise in December as dropped $400 total and is offering an additional perk, it already came with 1. Would celebrity potentially offer us anything or would they decline to help at all given we aren't booked directly through them?

Sorry my mistake. We booked a 1C balcony room on Deck 8. I called the UK Celebrity number and it automatically connected me to US customer services.

We were upgraded into a C2 Concierge Cabin.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Forums mobile app

You were very lucky indeed to have mistakenly been connected to the US customer service. That’s the only reason you’ve got that upgrade; it happened to us once when our friends got a refund (never heard of over here) because we too were connected through to the US by mistake. Keep shtum before the U.K. realise you’ve got away with it ;p.

When this happened to us last year, we kept our same cabin, but changed our perk package to Go Best for only a couple of $$ extra per person. Celebrity allowed this upgrade based on current cabin price with Go Best package.

Good to know!

We have learned if we do not need to fly we only book Celebrity cruises after final payment. We don't care where we are on the ship as long we are on it.

We just finished a 14 night Canada / New England cruise we paid $949 per person for an inside cabin. Got a nice cabin deck 8 forward.

We pay the same for October 7 sailing, we purchase it 4 months before sailing. I learned that there are no price drops for this sailings. They are playing the bid game to fill the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Were you booked directly with Celebrity or were you booked through a TA?? We are now past final payment and booked through a TA, she said there was nothing to be done. I'm seeing that the price of our cruise in December as dropped $400 total and is offering an additional perk, it already came with 1. Would celebrity potentially offer us anything or would they decline to help at all given we aren't booked directly through them?

Same here. Booked with a TA and when prices dropped after final payment he called at our request and nothing was offered except an upgrade we didn’t want. That was my understanding of how the rules were applied so at the time, it didn’t bother me in the slightest. But when rules are applied inconsistently it leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

• Like 1

Same here. Booked with a TA and when prices dropped after final payment he called at our request and nothing was offered except an upgrade we didn’t want. That was my understanding of how the rules were applied so at the time, it didn’t bother me in the slightest. But when rules are applied inconsistently it leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

I always book directly thru Celeb and the rule has applied the same--awesome for getting best pre-final booking price for a cabin I want, but when not feeling as choosy, grabbing last minute deals from the leftovers has turned out good sometimes.

You was very lucky as Celebrity in UK does not do that.

My thoughts exactly. Did you book directly with Celebrity. The only time we have been able to get a price drop, even before final payment was when we booked with a TA in the US.

My thoughts exactly. Did you book directly with Celebrity. The only time we have been able to get a price drop, even before final payment was when we booked with a TA in the US.

They stated they we’re mistakenly put through to the US customer service, hence my post above - ‘take it before the UK realise’.

I got lucky. After watching the price for the Reflection 14 nt this December I decided to pull the trigger and book it. Three hours after I paid full payment the price dropped 350.00 total for the two of us. I contacted my T/A right away, they contacted Celebrity, Celebrity gave me the lower price. I was stunned. I did not think they would have done it, but I guess I was just lucky. Afterwards , the price continued to slide down. I still got a very good deal.

If you booked and got only 1 perk call and ask how much it is for Go better or go best. Last year, for a wedding group, after final, many rates dropped. Got many cabins upgraded and/or a 2nd or 3rd perk for no additional cash, or, in my case (for my own cabin) I added a perk for us for 50 bucks total.

OP, have your TA look again. If you only have 1 perk, see if you can get more. :D:D

They stated they we’re mistakenly put through to the US customer service, hence my post above - ‘take it before the UK realise’.

Ok. I missed that one when I posted. I completely agree with you. It just doesn’t happen in the UK. Would like that fluke myself. I can really get the point that others have made that if I bought a coat in a shop and next week the price went down by 50% (it has happened to me) I wouldn’t expect the shop to refund the difference so why would I expect a cruise line to do it. My main whinge is that Celebrity don’t make the same rules for all.

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2018 at 6:37 PM, tbugstwo said:

When this happened to us last year, we kept our same cabin, but changed our perk package to Go Best for only a couple of $$ extra per person. Celebrity allowed this upgrade based on current cabin price with Go Best package.

Has anyone else tried this?  I tried this today and Celebrity wanted to charge me the full price to go from Go Better to Go Best.  The huge price drop on my existing cabin had absolutely no impact.  Am I missing something, or have I approached this the wrong way with Celebrity?

The inconsistencies are many on this topic.  I tried to get something...anything from my TA after price dropped a few months ago, and it was a no go.  I guess it depends on who you talk to and whether they’re in a generous mood or not!😜

52 minutes ago, Mo from Canada said:

Looking at booking a last minute cruise in January How do you know when the final payment is

You are already well into the final payment period.  You have to pay up the full amount within 24 hours of deposit.  There is a chart as to how much you forfeit as to when you cancel.

Link here and excerpt down below: 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/pre-cruise/cancellation-policy

For Cruises Booked On or After April 16, 2018

FOR 1 TO 4 NIGHT CRUISES (including Holiday sailings) CANCELLATION CHARGE (Per Person)
75+ days No charges
74 to 61 days 50% of total price
60 to 31 days 75% of total price
30 days or less 100% of total price - No refund

FOR 5 NIGHTS OR LONGER CRUISES (including Holiday Sailings and Cruisetours) CANCELLATION CHARGE (Per Person)
90+ days No charges
89 to 75 days 25% of total price
74 to 61 days 50% of total price
60 to 31 days 75% of total price
30 days or less 100% of total price - No refund

In the event of a cancellation of a Cruise or CruiseTour, any applicable Taxes/Fees or Fuel Supplement charges shall be refunded. For bookings made outside of the United States and Canada, a different cancellation policy may apply. Contact your local office or travel agency for details.

Cancellation notices are effective when received by the Operator.

I am booked on Sili for 9 night cruise departing Nov 30th. After final payment there was a huge price drop so I upgraded to an A1 Gty.  This was about 40 days ago and I still don’t have my cabin assignment and the entire Aqua class is closed. I hope I am not bumped from the ship. I’ll keep you all posted. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/13/2018 at 2:04 PM, Craig_K said:

Has anyone else tried this?  I tried this today and Celebrity wanted to charge me the full price to go from Go Better to Go Best.  The huge price drop on my existing cabin had absolutely no impact.  Am I missing something, or have I approached this the wrong way with Celebrity?

I really don’t know.  But we had booked through a travel agent and when she contacted Celebrity on our behalf, it was permitted.

On 11/13/2018 at 2:04 PM, Craig_K said:

Sometimes there will be a price drop on just the cabin category alone with no perks and when you price it with the perks (go better or go best) there is no price drop. 

With that being said I just upgraded a sailing today that had a price drop staying in the same category but going from go better to the go best for just $40 more PP.

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

I just upgraded a sailing today that had a price drop staying in the same category but going from go better to the go best for just $40 more PP.

ooooh   I think we're on the same ship and sailing. That's a great idea...

On 8/21/2018 at 8:07 AM, RealBatman said:

The lesson I learned? Book the next cruise while on board! The rates only go up from then, and you won't end up paying premium!

We booked a cruise while on board.  It has since dropped 1,000 so rates still can go down.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, CruisingChick said:

Totally agree. With over 105 cruises we ALWAYS booked after final payment. Never been denied a category we wanted. Yes its sometimes far from elevators, ,but with over $1000 savings, we can walk.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...