How Sweet Will The Suite Life Be On The Edge?

vtcruising

1 hour ago, MizDemeanor said:

It's not turning out to be as I wished it to be in terms of form and function. It might have been the years and years of people suggesting that this line was just too 'old' for their tastes. I think in terms of age demographic, and lack of nightlife and overall excitement. I think to combat that Celebrity jacked up the volume of the music in venues where people want to engage and socialize in the evening, and it sounds like they did it on this ship too without thinking.

But the atmosphere is on steroids, the finishes in some of the photos that I have seen are so rich in textures and patterns and attention that it doesn't permit serenity, its like being inside a pinball machine. It's unsettlling to me and I just don't know what to make of it. It's feels overdone, fractured, and too extreme to me...

For Serenity, you should try Crystal – they even have a ship with that name, and they definitely deliver!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

@vtcruising  Thanks for you excellent positive posts.   In light of all the negativity your reports are a ray of bright light.

I had read that the bar at the Retreat Pool Bar was not complimentary like Michael's Club.   Is this in fact true?   Not that it really matters since we have Premium Drink Packages,  it just seemed strange.

Jim

That is the way it is done right now. The concierge said they are discussing it further and it may change. He mentioned potentially having something up by the pool (maybe a cart or cooler) with some complimentary beverages (not sure if that would just be sodas and water or include beer).

With this new ship, I was given the impression that there are a lot of moving targets with the suite experience. I think we may have to see how this evolves, but for now you give your card to be charged (or not charged if within your beverage package). All of the drinks in the Retreat Lounge are complimentary.

Edited by vtcruising

19 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

VT,

Your info and reviews have been nothing short of phenomenal. I'm wondering about our S2 cabin which was just down the hall from your mid-ship S1.  From your pics of the balcony it appeared that you had a complete overhang.  Our stateroom appears to jut forward from the rest of the mid-ship area as highlighted below.  I'm wondering two things and I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer, but here goes:

1.  Do these balconies have an overhang similar to S1's and

2.  Is the bed facing the ocean in this area?

image.png.adbeb077ba61762598fefb1ced193771.png Thank you again for all your feedback!

I looked again at the location of 10147 and I can see what you mean about the bump out above - looking at the pictures from an angle that I took when on the Launch Tour, it doesn't appear to be too much of an issue (and it didn't seem dark on the balcony - we seemed to get some sun, though it was pretty cloudy on that cruise).  10197 doesn't have the same issue since you will be on the bump out too. 🙂

5 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

Dear WM3, Where is it stated that 2 lounge chairs are an included part of the CS suite category balcony? Thank you.

On Edge the CS balcony has two dining chairs and a dining table.  It also has two arm chairs but no footrests with them.  No loungers.  See the YouTube of the Edge CS from Affluent Journeys.  We recently sailed in an S-Class CS on Solstice.  The balcony did have loungers.  For our January 20 sailing in an Edge CS 12104, when we are contacted by the shore-side concierge prior to the cruise we will request footrests or a lounger.  Hopefully they will comply with our request. Will let you know!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Luminae was absolutely beautiful and quite well laid out. There is a separated area when you enter, with some nice quiet tables (I assume) by the windows. Tables are not too close together usually - we had conversations with some people next to us, but it wasn't awkward not to.

There was a real mix in the suites on the 3 night cruise - all ages, from young families to young couples. middle-aged and older guests and multi-generational families. The children were quite well-behaved (as well as most of the rest of the guests). 😉

I think people had expectations for Luminae to be able to walk up and get in immediately, even with a large party. At lunch the first day, everyone seemed to arrive at once and there were some angry people who were muttering as they stomped off. It was all handled very professionally. They suggested we go to the Retreat and they would call us up there when a table was ready. We enjoyed a cocktail and they called within 20 minutes. We had such a nice lunch there. For those who haven't done Luminae, they have 4 lunch menus that they rotate (and serve lunch only on sea days).

The pea soup is amazing. I also had the butternut squash farfalle - absolutely delicious! My DH had the soup and the wonderful lobster roll.

Breakfast was also good!

Most mornings people seem well-staggered so service was quick. Breakfast the last day was a zoo. We arrived at 7:30 and it was packed. People were waiting 45 minutes for their breakfasts (we waited about that long, but luckily didn't have a plane to catch). The staff were running around trying to stay on top of everything - luckily the guests were understanding and kind.

I think they need to work out the kinks with 176 suites, especially for boarding day lunch and disembarkation breakfast - no matter what, they serve beautiful food with a smile.

Thanks Marilyn.  The pics from Luminae made me very hungry! I have to admit that a guilty pleasure I have on a cruise is at breakfast in Luminae - I love the bright green pistachio sweet roll that they serve.  Did they have it on EDGE?

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks Marilyn.  The pics from Luminae made me very hungry! I have to admit that a guilty pleasure I have on a cruise is at breakfast in Luminae - I love the bright green pistachio sweet roll that they serve.  Did they have it on EDGE?

Boy, I don't remember seeing it (maybe it's because I had my eye on the dulce leche croissant).😉

Just received an email from my TA in regard to our request for 2 lounge chairs for our S1 165 sq ft balcony. The ship has stated that yes they can provide lounge chairs. They advised that the guest to inform their butler (did not know we had one with S1 suite)upon arrival. TA can also call in closer to sailing and request a reminder email be sent to the ships suite manager prior to sailing. Best Regards Michelle Duizendstraal CelebrityCruises Reservation Representative. We are back on the Edge 'Happy Track'. Please let us know if you all find this to be "pie in the sky".  We are about to find out shortly with another cruise line's corporate office in Europe telling us one thing and you all with experience telling us the opposite.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

Just received an email from my TA in regard to our request for 2 lounge chairs for our S1 165 sq ft balcony. The ship has stated that yes they can provide lounge chairs. They advised that the guest to inform their butler (did not know we had one with S1 suite)upon arrival. TA can also call in closer to sailing and request a reminder email be sent to the ships suite manager prior to sailing. Best Regards Michelle Duizendstraal CelebrityCruises Reservation Representative. We are back on the Edge 'Happy Track'. Please let us know if you all find this to be "pie in the sky".  We are about to find out shortly with another cruise line's corporate office in Europe telling us one thing and you all with experience telling us the opposite.

Thanks! Someone else received similar info that we could request loungers (but sounded like not guaranteed to receive). This sounds more encouraging. I think they have heard us!!!

Now for a real table!😀

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks! Someone else received similar info that we could request loungers (but sounded like not guaranteed to receive). This sounds more encouraging. I think they have heard us!!!

Now for a real table!😀

We had an interesting talk with Joao (one of the 3 Retreat Concierges) yesterday. We didn’t ask for a lounger, but did express our disappointment about the verandah furniture, which happens to be one of the top issues with guests in suites. No explanation was offered as to why the furniture for the Sky Suites was changed. Joao was extremely careful in his replies to our questions and repeatedly said that management was aware of the “problem”, but would not say that they were working to correct it now or even in the future.

Trying to eat breakfast on the verandah is ridiculous. Kelly Hoppen's furniture was apparently designed for guests to sit on and just enjoy a beverage, never a meal. We've noticed this idea repeated in other suites and even in the Retreat where most things have been designed for form over function,  it looks nice but is really impractical. We would love to have a real table and chairs, but I don’t hold out hope that that is going to happen.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update. It was Priscilla, my butler’s manager that said they were looking into it because others had said something. 

Not it sure if you read LastDance’s info she received - it looks like they are at least trying to deal with the lounger issue.😊

Hipe you are otherwise enjoying the cruise!!

Edited by vtcruising

10 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks for the update. It was Priscilla, my butler’s manager that said they were looking into it because others had said something. 

Not it sure if you read LastDance’s info she received - it looks like they are at least trying to deal with the lounger issue.😊

Hipe you are otherwise enjoying the cruise!!

Overall it has been good. The weather has not been the greatest, but hey, we’re on a cruise!

Oh, I forgot to mention that the rocking chairs in the suites are receiving mixed reviews. Some guests have asked that they be removed for various reasons. Another case of impractical  “form over function”. 😉

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Overall it has been good. The weather has not been the greatest, but hey, we’re on a cruise!

Oh, I forgot to mention that the rocking chairs in the suites are receiving mixed reviews. Some guests have asked that they be removed for various reasons. Another case of impractical  “form over function”. 😉

It made a great pillow holder for all those pillows!

It is a comfortable chair but gets in the way some, I found more in the midship S1 than the aft S1 (probably because of bed running lengthwise in room).

My DH thought it made a great lounger!DDD271C7-4D95-4D34-A40B-1AB6464E41B8.thumb.jpeg.6e9712267999a902d35e090cd2a7daf3.jpeg

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

An upgrade to a Celebrity Suite on Connie has spoiled us for in-room breakfast, and the absence of a decent dining table is another Edge fail.  Of course, it's hard to figure out whether any of the top suites really have an acceptable table because Celebrity is still using the 'artist conception' drawings rather than pictures of the actual suites.  I have read that the coffee table in the Celebrity Suite can be raised to allow dining on the coach [still not as good as the CS on M-class].  The Royal Suite seems to have a real table, although the chairs look uncomfortable.  Can't tell if the Edge Villa, for all its size, has a table anywhere.  Only the Penthouse Suite and the Iconic Suite have a huge table with proper dining chairs.  [I'm not counting tables on the balcony, because I prefer to have breakfast before greeting the world :classic_sleep:]

On 12/11/2018 at 1:52 PM, vtcruising said:

Now for a real table!😀

We could not fit a lounger in our tiny AQ enclosed veranda...but less clunky  chairs with a  footrest would be better;   and a table..inside or outside would be great! 

5 hours ago, vtcruising said:

It made a great pillow holder for all those pillows!

It is a comfortable chair but gets in the way some, I found more in the midship S1 than the aft S1 (probably because of bed running lengthwise in room).

My DH thought it made a great lounger!DDD271C7-4D95-4D34-A40B-1AB6464E41B8.thumb.jpeg.6e9712267999a902d35e090cd2a7daf3.jpeg

Mirr room in mid-ship S1 than aft?  I guess the rest is on the balcony where the rocker needs to go...IMHO...

10 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Mirr room in mid-ship S1 than aft?  I guess the rest is on the balcony where the rocker needs to go...IMHO...

It felt like the rocker was in the way more with the mid-ship S1 (might have been wrong), but I thought it could be because the bed was lengthwise with the chair between the bed and balcony. The aft S1 had the bed against the outside wall so the rocker wasn't as close to the bed. The suites are probably about the same size, just the bed in the aft was going across the room and close to the closet.

Either way, I do like the chair, as it adds some elegance to the space and is very comfortable. I would trade it for loungers and bigger table on the balcony, though. 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

An upgrade to a Celebrity Suite on Connie has spoiled us for in-room breakfast, and the absence of a decent dining table is another Edge fail.  Of course, it's hard to figure out whether any of the top suites really have an acceptable table because Celebrity is still using the 'artist conception' drawings rather than pictures of the actual suites.  I have read that the coffee table in the Celebrity Suite can be raised to allow dining on the coach [still not as good as the CS on M-class].  The Royal Suite seems to have a real table, although the chairs look uncomfortable.  Can't tell if the Edge Villa, for all its size, has a table anywhere.  Only the Penthouse Suite and the Iconic Suite have a huge table with proper dining chairs.  [I'm not counting tables on the balcony, because I prefer to have breakfast before greeting the world :classic_sleep:]

I have actual pictures of all of the suites since they were open for the Press and Trade cruises for anyone to view. It was fun to dream! 🙂

EV Table:

image.thumb.png.4fe919432b09b6f8a72d0be21dd2a157.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1