How Sweet Will The Suite Life Be On The Edge?

vtcruising

Just a thought, you know Celebrity is reading this thread. So rather than tarnish their goodwill, modern luxury standing and send their clientele elsewhere, is it possible they could come out with a statement such as “Edgies, we hear you loud and clear and due to strong demand, we are re-analyzing our balcony furniture to provide more comfort and bringing back the loungers for all the suites.”

i think that that may soften some of the hard feelings and concerns of future cruisers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

Just a thought, you know Celebrity is reading this thread. So rather than tarnish their goodwill, modern luxury standing and send their clientele elsewhere, is it possible they could come out with a statement such as “Edgies, we hear you loud and clear and due to strong demand, we are re-analyzing our balcony furniture to provide more comfort and bringing back the loungers for all the suites.”

i think that that may soften some of the hard feelings and concerns of future cruisers.

Actually, Celebrity, I'd like you to re-analyze ALL the balcony/veranda furniture to provide more comfort, not just suites.  Bring back the chairs with high reclining backs and foot stools like on the S-class ships.

Edited by ecslady
  • Like 1

My intent was all cabins but I did not word it properly. Thank you for picking up on that. 

Edgies, we hear you loud and clear and due to strong demand, we are re-analyzing our balcony furniture in ALL cabins to provide more comfort and ALSO bringing back the loungers for all the suites.”

A few comments on the suite life on the Edge (please understand that these were TA/Press cruises and a preview cruise). It seems like a work in progress in the Retreat - it is trying to develop a personality.

1) The Retreat sundeck worked pretty well, from what I could see. I didn't go up there from 11-2 usually, which was probably the peak time, but did go up at 2-4 PM a few days. The side near the pool and bar was hopping - most loungers taken, people in the pool and hot tub, others in the pool baskets, others bellied up to the bar. It was a fairly quiet, but vibrant scene. The background music was terrible (worse than elevator music). It wasn't loud, but was just blah.

What I call the "Back 40" is the quieter place to be. It is the area around the solarium dome. It is very peaceful there (still has bad music) and there were open loungers on both sides of the ship. The bartenders came around to get orders, but seemed less attentive on that side (might have just been my timing).

I liked that there were two different atmosphere types to enjoy. It was a sunny place, though there are some shaded options. Others who spent more time there can jump in with their views since I was in there later in the day usually.

The Retreat Lounge was quite busy at certain times. We had good bar service whenever we were there - not sure if that held out for other times. It also had a pretty good atmosphere, with lots of comfortable areas to sit and chat with new friends. It was dead there late at night when we went (twice, I think). I didn't miss the bar - I think my DH did a bit. The outside seating was nice, when not windy. There wasn't any entertainment in there on these cruises as far as I know.

The concierges had a round desk with a few chairs. If they were working on something at their desk, people might drop by to ask them questions, but mostly they seemed to walk through the room, seeing how people were doing and stopping to talk, if there were concerns/needs.

The coffee/tea self-service was well-stocked and there were two refrigerators with sodas, water, etc. The water was small glass bottles of Evian so harder to take and use around the ship (I preferred the lighter metal cans for my water). The food looked pretty good - there was a continental breakfast, a tea with scones, etc. 3:30 -4:30, I believe and some bites later on. Here are some pictures:

Handwashing

image.thumb.png.776ff8b175c1b6d4a4ceea0de40d6adb.png

Breakfast:

image.thumb.png.f36136a74198557bbf700a9ccf44a011.png

image.thumb.png.a98387bd85db0fdabe1bedd11bcb8b5f.png

image.thumb.png.1ba6a9293e988c42946513a8f8bd70c0.png

image.thumb.png.8168b9fdaff0da65bbcb7d257bd34526.png

Evening Bites:

image.thumb.png.a1649a477d9e42a3a13ca9a3ed77d73b.png

image.thumb.png.9a95f757d09e5e2bf56baeefa32203de.png

Bar/Poolside

image.thumb.png.8dc076142355f6730406ae33fd9c2cee.png

image.thumb.png.3b44c415a2d44ef72d5f5dab307995ca.png

image.thumb.png.dea340e72a03ced14cb88af5338a76cf.png

image.thumb.png.d5ba89a5d97d94b1b43d1aae1d07c233.png

Back 40

image.thumb.png.1d7ee322800eb0af3a1b1ec52d1a2f93.png

image.thumb.png.56ef2f5f967b4c19acdf5d60bba5b3ee.png

image.thumb.png.cf431834415eab81d9666f432a62f9fb.png

image.png

Cold Towels:

image.thumb.png.6c8bba73cb9ff3a3784605b8afcbe04a.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Marilyn,

Very sorry to use to word complained.  You have certainly shown all of us here that you are not a complainer and have a great attitude and approach to finding solutions.  You have been a voice for all of us.  You did request a lounger as part of a list of things from your butler which is the proper way and you did at least start the conversation that you had loungers on other aft S1's on other ships.  It seems that those in charge are getting the message one way or another. But BurBunny had the same request for an S1 and was refused.  So those of you that have sailed need to continue to provide feedback about all of the balcony furniture from IV's on up but only if you were disappointed of course.

No worries - it probably appeared that I complained (or begged) because we received the lounger. In retrospect, I think it may have come from higher up because of my injury - they were trying to take very good care of me (which was very much appreciated). After thinking about how heavy and awkward it must have been to lug that lounger there, I figure they probably said "no more," leaving poor Burbunny without one. I have to say that I was a bit embarrassed to receive it, after seeing the size and weight of it.  

BTW, I wouldn't recommend doing a face plant into a window frame to get a lounger! 😉

FC,  You appear to be a kindred spirit.This post has us double checking all our future bookings. Our NCL Breakaway H6 deck 9 pictures show 2 lounge chairs along with a table and 2 chairs. But now we are questioning our booking on Celebrity Equinox CS #1110. We will have to get our TA to double check with Celebrity. Thanks for your understanding.

10 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

FC,  You appear to be a kindred spirit.This post has us double checking all our future bookings. Our NCL Breakaway H6 deck 9 pictures show 2 lounge chairs along with a table and 2 chairs. But now we are questioning our booking on Celebrity Equinox CS #1110. We will have to get our TA to double check with Celebrity. Thanks for your understanding.

We have stayed in 1110 a number of times and the regular balcony furniture on S Class is a large table, two chairs and one chaise type lounger. I always ask the shoreside concierge to arrange a sun bed of the type that are at the pool and it has never been an issue. You should remember that we have not been on the Equinox, our experience has been on the Eclipse, Sihouette and Reflection although it would be strange for the Equinox not to do this and als that things may change when the Equinox is "revolutionised".

Dear G, Thank you for your encouraging words on CS#1110.  We will be terribly disappointed . We feel like 'Goldilocks" with these cruise lines. This one's too hard, this other one is becoming harder, it is such a chore trying to find just the right one. Thank you, you are always one of the most helpful of the CC family.

VT- thank you so much for taking the time to share all this valuable information. You have helped build our enthusiasm as well as being informative. 

Are all areas of the Retreat wheelchair accessible?

Thank you

16 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Great attitude! So glad you enjoyed it! What did you like the best?

Without a doubt the crew.  With the exception of my butler and steward, they were uniformly excellent.  Clearly happy to be there, proud of their new positions, and eager to help.

52 minutes ago, JSR said:

VT- thank you so much for taking the time to share all this valuable information. You have helped build our enthusiasm as well as being informative. 

Are all areas of the Retreat wheelchair accessible?

Thank you

Good question - it feels like it is and there seems to be a path around the loungers - someone on there now or those on for the 9th could maybe check it out a little more closely for you. They do have an accessible bathroom in the Lounge. 🙂

Thank you. The accessible bathroom is a plus and nice to know about. On some ships the sunning area for suites is up a flight of stairs with no elevator access. As long as I can get around most of the area I will be fine. 

Do you happen to notice if there is a running track or is it the usual obstical course through the loungers above the pool?

4 minutes ago, JSR said:

Thank you. The accessible bathroom is a plus and nice to know about. On some ships the sunning area for suites is up a flight of stairs with no elevator access. As long as I can get around most of the area I will be fine. 

Do you happen to notice if there is a running track or is it the usual obstical course through the loungers above the pool?

I tried to post a few pictures of different sections. It looks like some areas do have the loungers nearby, but the ramp up to the next deck is clear and a nice back way to the Retreat sundeck (there is a card-controlled door to the Retreat on either side of the solarium dome).

image.thumb.png.40934f9dff58103aca6e29a29e0d3251.png

image.thumb.png.9d3a2dde64e0ff76436046c3149f12b8.png

image.thumb.png.bf61ce659d685ed9f6e27cebbb70cf4e.png

image.thumb.png.1ad385053df4f00adf7bb602687c31d6.png

image.thumb.png.dc800a58250fd2205315ad47215e5de2.png

image.thumb.png.6135ecf323f20bde3a68f70c603ad247.png

image.thumb.png.801160eb154a1f9558530a284e066b52.png

image.thumb.png.12a7904df3ddcfd0404a3d8e39dfd5dd.png

VT,

Your info and reviews have been nothing short of phenomenal. I'm wondering about our S2 cabin which was just down the hall from your mid-ship S1.  From your pics of the balcony it appeared that you had a complete overhang.  Our stateroom appears to jut forward from the rest of the mid-ship area as highlighted below.  I'm wondering two things and I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer, but here goes:

1.  Do these balconies have an overhang similar to S1's and

2.  Is the bed facing the ocean in this area?

image.png.adbeb077ba61762598fefb1ced193771.png Thank you again for all your feedback!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Luminae was absolutely beautiful and quite well laid out. There is a separated area when you enter, with some nice quiet tables (I assume) by the windows. Tables are not too close together usually - we had conversations with some people next to us, but it wasn't awkward not to.

There was a real mix in the suites on the 3 night cruise - all ages, from young families to young couples. middle-aged and older guests and multi-generational families. The children were quite well-behaved (as well as most of the rest of the guests). 😉

I think people had expectations for Luminae to be able to walk up and get in immediately, even with a large party. At lunch the first day, everyone seemed to arrive at once and there were some angry people who were muttering as they stomped off. It was all handled very professionally. They suggested we go to the Retreat and they would call us up there when a table was ready. We enjoyed a cocktail and they called within 20 minutes. We had such a nice lunch there. For those who haven't done Luminae, they have 4 lunch menus that they rotate (and serve lunch only on sea days).

The pea soup is amazing. I also had the butternut squash farfalle - absolutely delicious! My DH had the soup and the wonderful lobster roll.

image.thumb.png.58055686ba1138b06da15efe699bf954.png

image.thumb.png.65c6dec71a01e444b4a98095b9c776d6.png

image.thumb.png.7796e461a61c72d7755bf1fde25567fb.png

image.thumb.png.e3479aff1b7c9d9007948c81f3d5c91e.png

Breakfast was also good!

image.thumb.png.f94cd21efe1857d132ddcd1d93adf0f7.png

image.thumb.png.d31020dee1feda9e89879739c0ff7a20.png

image.thumb.png.df1f83dc4debfb504ac2540c8f31c196.png

image.thumb.png.6b7cb42a893b751682d9aae609d8db85.png

Most mornings people seem well-staggered so service was quick. Breakfast the last day was a zoo. We arrived at 7:30 and it was packed. People were waiting 45 minutes for their breakfasts (we waited about that long, but luckily didn't have a plane to catch). The staff were running around trying to stay on top of everything - luckily the guests were understanding and kind.

I think they need to work out the kinks with 176 suites, especially for boarding day lunch and disembarkation breakfast - no matter what, they serve beautiful food with a smile.

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

To me little compares with The Haven and an H6 combination. 

3 hours ago, JSR said:

Take a look at sylvia_longmire on instragram. She is in a wheelchair and has posted many pics of the accessibility features on the Edge.

https://instagram.com/sylvia_longmire?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=16qp2nclayab4

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

VT,

Your info and reviews have been nothing short of phenomenal. I'm wondering about our S2 cabin which was just down the hall from your mid-ship S1.  From your pics of the balcony it appeared that you had a complete overhang.  Our stateroom appears to jut forward from the rest of the mid-ship area as highlighted below.  I'm wondering two things and I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer, but here goes:

1.  Do these balconies have an overhang similar to S1's and

2.  Is the bed facing the ocean in this area?

image.png.adbeb077ba61762598fefb1ced193771.png Thank you again for all your feedback!

Not sure what you mean by a total overhang, but we found that there wasn't much of an overhang right above us - the bigger overhangs seem to be on some of 12. Most of the pictures I have seen show sunshine on those balconies on 10 (our two days in that suite were less sunny).

Your suite looks good to me. With the bump out you should have a nice, sunny balcony. I would have said that yes, you should have a bed facing the sea (according to two sources who said all S2's have the bed facing the balcony, when I was onboard), but Lastdance talked to X reps today who cast some doubt on it. They are going to check with people onboard and get back to her so we will see.

Looks like a nice location by the elevators, no pole on balcony, on a bump out - looks like a great suite!

image.thumb.png.88022648b0920f4b694d5cc48bcb3634.png

Edited by vtcruising

2 hours ago, Teacher42 said:

MizD. Perhaps you are right. Edge appears to be not what is cracked up to be after all is said and done, for some of us.

It's not turning out to be as I wished it to be in terms of form and function. It might have been the years and years of people suggesting that this line was just too 'old' for their tastes. I think in terms of age demographic, and lack of nightlife and overall excitement. I think to combat that Celebrity jacked up the volume of the music in venues where people want to engage and socialize in the evening, and it sounds like they did it on this ship too without thinking.

But the atmosphere is on steroids, the finishes in some of the photos that I have seen are so rich in textures and patterns and attention that it doesn't permit serenity, its like being inside a pinball machine. It's unsettlling to me and I just don't know what to make of it. It's feels overdone, fractured, and too extreme to me.  

I've not sailed this line in a while in favor of NCL's Haven, and I sure was looking forward to come back because of this concept. I'm booked in a Retreat S2 but likely will cancel the cruise. I just can't see myself in the chaos.  

I really have enjoyed the other classes of ships on Celebrity but felt that there were not enough specialty dining options and when The Haven developed it was an easy transition to make for us with the one single thing on the Breakaway and beyond class being the main pool area. Its the worst set up ever. The Retreat pool area concept sounded good for sun lovers like myself, but it misses in meaningful ways.

Overall its too bad. I'll continue to read the reviews over the next week or so, but for the Caribbean itinerary we booked its an overpriced cruise from the start. 

Kelly Hoppen pillows, rockers, and balcony furniture apparently, are quite expensive. Imagine if there were larger tables and stools! 

Edited by MizDemeanor
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I tried to post a few pictures of different sections. It looks like some areas do have the loungers nearby, but the ramp up to the next deck is clear and a nice back way to the Retreat sundeck (there is a card-controlled door to the Retreat on either side of the solarium dome).

Thank you for the photos of the track. They are very helpful. 

@vtcruising  Thanks for you excellent positive posts.   In light of all the negativity your reports are a ray of bright light.

I had read that the bar at the Retreat Pool Bar was not complimentary like Michael's Club.   Is this in fact true?   Not that it really matters since we have Premium Drink Packages,  it just seemed strange.

Jim

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Most mornings people seem well-staggered so service was quick. Breakfast the last day was a zoo. We arrived at 7:30 and it was packed. People were waiting 45 minutes for their breakfasts (we waited about that long, but luckily didn't have a plane to catch). The staff were running around trying to stay on top of everything - luckily the guests were understanding and kind.

This is why having a table in the suites to 'empower' room service breakfast would have been such a good idea.   It's also why hiring designers who have actually cruised is a good idea – how would you know what disembarkation day is like if you have never experienced it???