How Sweet Will The Suite Life Be On The Edge?

vtcruising

59 minutes ago, Oville said:

I think you need to experience the IV and then make a judgement.  The one drawback for us is no breakfast on the veranda and maybe we do that once or twice a cruise if at all.  We did like the IV very much it’s just not as spacious as M and S class verandas.

Katie

Of course I wont know anything for certain til January...

I am not an all day balcony person but do enjoy going out  in the morning  for sunrise... room service  breakfast or  just coffee and bagels. We also enjoy sunsets if we are lucky to be on the sunset side,,..

I will definitely share my reactions after the cruise,,!

1 hour ago, OUBaylor1 said:

We had a lounger in our corner aft Sky 1 Suite on two of our S-class cruises.  BTW, the lounger was already present on the balcony when we arrived.

Probably because some prior occupant begged the butler or room attendant to bring one there and they didn’t remove it after the guest left. I’ve sailed three times in aft S1s on S class and there has never been a lounger on my balcony nor did I expect one to be there.

OK so Celebrity might listen to current passenger comments about balcony furniture on Edge suites and do something better on Apex.  But I'd like them to do something on Edge.  This is a real miss.  They have years and years of experience knowing that their customers like to dine on balconies and in particular like to recline on a lounger or at least have chairs with foot stools.  Who doesn't enjoy a nice balcony reading or sipping a cocktail with their feet up? The Tom Tom does not cut it.  There needs to be an overwhelming negative feedback response to them from those of us sailing suites until this issue is resolved.  We need to do this for our future cruisemates (and of course ourselves).  Please be very direct in your customer surveys if this is an issue with you.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

OK so Celebrity might listen to current passenger comments about balcony furniture on Edge suites and do something better on Apex.  But I'd like them to do something on Edge.  This is a real miss.  They have years and years of experience knowing that their customers like to dine on balconies and in particular like to recline on a lounger or at least have chairs with foot stools.  Who doesn't enjoy a nice balcony reading or sipping a cocktail with their feet up? The Tom Tom does not cut it.  There needs to be an overwhelming negative feedback response to them from those of us sailing suites until this issue is resolved.  We need to do this for our future cruisemates (and of course ourselves).  Please be very direct in your customer surveys if this is an issue with you.

I won't wait for the survey to express my feelings on the Dec. 9 sailing.

I will let them know on the survey too.

Can you imagine what they might do when they “revolutionize” the rest of the fleet?!

Edited by C-Dragons

24 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Let us not forget the IV furniture as well... For all the time I will most likely not spending my cabin, yet the options are there, too...

:classic_cool:

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It's not just Suites - it's all the veranda furniture.  Bring back the high back chairs that can recline a bit in all the verandas, and the footstools in the Concierge & Aqua Cabins.  At least make it equal to what the S class ships offer.

I'm really hoping we get the "mid-cruise" survey onboard, so we can include these comments.

Edited by ecslady

11 minutes ago, ecslady said:

It's not just Suites - it's all the veranda furniture.  Bring back the high back chairs that can recline a bit in all the verandas, and the footstools in the Concierge & Aqua Cabins.  At least make it equal to what the S class ships offer.

I'm really hoping we get the "mid-cruise" survey onboard, so we can include these comments.

You'd have to be specific in your definition of a “verandah”. X has classified IV cabins as “infinite verandahs”, which is a misnomer as there is no actual verandah. The chairs and table in the IV cabins were designed, Imo, to fit in those spaces. Interestingly, the only cabins with actual verandahs, aside from the suites, and Sunset verandahs, are the 1A and 1B verandahs. All other cabins, including Concierge and Aqua are IV as well. The IV cabins make up the majority of all cabins on the Edge.

22 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

You'd have to be specific in your definition of a “verandah”. X has classified IV cabins as “infinite verandahs”, which is a misnomer as there is no actual verandah. The chairs and table in the IV cabins were designed, Imo, to fit in those spaces. Interestingly, the only cabins with actual verandahs, aside from the suites, and Sunset verandahs, are the 1A and 1B verandahs. All other cabins, including Concierge and Aqua are IV as well. The IV cabins make up the majority of all cabins on the Edge.

I did mean all verandahs, including the IV.  I know it may be hard on Edge because the IV is a bit smaller, but footstools can always be put off to the side somewhere or make them folding footstools, so at least they can be used on the IV. 

I just wanted to be clear that I didn't get a lounger because I complained (I probably wasn't clear). I just did what we've done on every cruise in an S1 and that was the first day give our list of requests, which are few (they ask for our requests). We always have requested a lounger or two and have always received it on S Class S1's, without an issue. I had no idea if the Edge would be different because of new rules on a new ship, but again requested a lounger, if possible. When the cabin attendant came to tell us that sorry, it wasn't allowed, we said not to worry, we understood. The next day when the butler brought breakfast and apologized, we gave him our feedback, saying we were used to a large table and 2 reclining chairs with foot rests at a minimum on S Class S1's so at least had expected that (and that the lounger would be lovely, but would understand if they were not able to do that). He had already spoken to Priscilla, his manager, and asked her to speak with us (we didn't request that - we were just going to give our feedback to X after the cruise). She asked for and received our feedback and then had a lounger brought to the balcony.  She said that she had received other feedback and that they were in the process of seeing what they should do about it. We have thanked everyone profusely for the lounger (and nice gratuities will be distributed) and my DH is now happily reading on the balcony in comfort.  😊 

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I just wanted to be clear that I didn't get a lounger because I complained (I probably wasn't clear). I just did what we've done on every cruise in an S1 and that was the first day give our list of requests, which are few (they ask for our requests). We always have requested a lounger or two and have always received it on S Class S1's, without an issue. I had no idea if the Edge would be different because of new rules on a new ship, but again requested a lounger, if possible. When the cabin attendant came to tell us that sorry, it wasn't allowed, we said not to worry, we understood. The next day when the butler brought breakfast and apologized, we gave him our feedback, saying we were used to a large table and 2 reclining chairs with foot rests at a minimum on S Class S1's so at least had expected that (and that the lounger would be lovely, but would understand if they were not able to do that). He had already spoken to Priscilla, his manager, and asked her to speak with us (we didn't request that - we were just going to give our feedback to X after the cruise). She asked for and received our feedback and then had a lounger brought to the balcony.  She said that she had received other feedback and that they were in the process of seeing what they should do about it. We have thanked everyone profusely for the lounger (and nice gratuities will be distributed) and my DH is now happily reading on the balcony in comfort.  😊 

I think what you guys did was great and classy. It's great that they were able to recognize the issue and offered to do something about it. 

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

It could be that they do want to discourage dining in the cabins that do not have dining tables in them. It does create more work for the room attendants and butlers. I theorized before when we saw that temporary addition and then pull back of a room service fee that they might be wanting to discourage room service. This furniture decision kind of feels the same.

vtcruising

In the Retreat lounge do they serve the free happy hour cocktail drinks like they do in Micheals club or do you have to rely on drinks pkge or capts club 3 drink rule to get cocktails. Thanks and glad you are enjoying Edge. 

16 hours ago, RJL58 said:

vtcruising

In the Retreat lounge do they serve the free happy hour cocktail drinks like they do in Micheals club or do you have to rely on drinks pkge or capts club 3 drink rule to get cocktails. Thanks and glad you are enjoying Edge. 

It is free and it is top shelf, if you wish (to a point).  🙂 If they don't have what you like, they will usually be able to stock it by the next day. It is unlimited (again, to a point 😉).

VT thank you for all your observations. You’ve been amazing.  Can you comment on Luminae? We always sail in suites to get access to Luminae. One of the things that really appeals to us is to be able order off the MDR menu. I understand that because of logistics that’s not possible.  My partner is allergic to a number of things and access to the MDR menu has been a life saver.  Do they at least have the every day favorites and will continue to do special requests if you give a days notice.   

We went to specialties every night so didn’t do dinner st Luminae this time. We did have breakfast and lunch there and the food and service was top notch as usual.  We don’t have allergies so we didn’t need to order off menu, but I think that they will take very good care of you. 

They are a work in progress as far as expanding to include some everyday items, but I had the sense that is where they are heading. I imagine after the first 7 night inaugural cruises they will have a better sense of how to move forward. So far they have just had 2 and 3 night cruises. 

If if I were you, I would head there after boarding and discuss your needs (or if you are in a CS or higher you will get a call from the shore concierge pre-cruise).😀

Edited by vtcruising

20 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

It could be that they do want to discourage dining in the cabins that do not have dining tables in them. It does create more work for the room attendants and butlers. I theorized before when we saw that temporary addition and then pull back of a room service fee that they might be wanting to discourage room service. This furniture decision kind of feels the same.

I wondered about that too - it sure felt that way. I had assumed they would bring a small rolling table to eat from. It worked- we didn’t ask again. 😀

They had this newer suite benefits table in the suite. About half way down it lists “Full in-suite dining service for B, L, D for all suites. If they want to discourage it, they shouldn’t have this in the suites. 😀

6EC348E7-82D7-4D4B-BA6B-99A391DEE359.thumb.jpeg.31aebb9aa2e4a4226ab7bdc6582db434.jpeg

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I wondered about that too - it sure felt that way. I had assumed they would bring a small rolling table to eat from. It worked- we didn’t ask again. 😀

They had this newer suite benefits table in the suite. About half way down it lists “Full in-suite dining service for B, L, D for all suites. If they want to discourage it, they shouldn’t have this in the suites. 😀

6EC348E7-82D7-4D4B-BA6B-99A391DEE359.thumb.jpeg.31aebb9aa2e4a4226ab7bdc6582db434.jpeg

This seems to tie up with the file I attached

17057213_Suites_Amenities_Grid_2017.pdf

On 12/2/2018 at 3:18 PM, Mcampo said:

I concur, that it was a  total bait and switch. I expected the balcony chairs and table there were advertised and even seen in the mock up video from the Florida reveal. In my opinion X got cheap at the last minute with regards to the balcony furniture on the SS. I am disappointed and will defiantly let X know with my post cruise comments. 

Here is a screenshot of the X booking website when I looked at S1's yesterday - notice the larger table and comfortable chairs are still there.

My expectations were to have the comfy chairs depicted (hopefully with footstools) and table large enough to dine on to be on par with the S1s on S Class and have the option to request and possibly receive a lounger, as has been past practice on S Class (and not a problem if not possible). I had no idea that the furniture would be less desirable on a brand new ship, so yes, I am disappointed.

There are 146 Sky Suites - I think they have heard from guests this last week and my guess is that they will do something about the Edge SS furniture. My feedback was that I won't book another SS on E Class with that balcony furniture. Our balcony is a big part of our experience and it is a deal breaker for us at that price point.

image.png.0ac83b2c957dd12a07185ca1c585b9fb.png

These chairs ARE on the Celebrity Suite balconies. They look really nice on the YouTube tours. They either cheaped out or something went wrong with their order from the vendor - it’s either one or the other, right? I wish Celebrity would adress the Sky Suite balcony furniture issue with an email. It’s not as if people don’t notice what they have booked. Pre-Edge, we would deliberate over spending the extra $ just to get the footstool (and always did) for heaven’s sake!

59 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Here is a screenshot of the X booking website when I looked at S1's yesterday - notice the larger table and comfortable chairs are still there.

My expectations were to have the comfy chairs depicted (hopefully with footstools) and table large enough to dine on to be on par with the S1s on S Class and have the option to request and possibly receive a lounger, as has been past practice on S Class (and not a problem if not possible). I had no idea that the furniture would be less desirable on a brand new ship, so yes, I am disappointed.

There are 146 Sky Suites - I think they have heard from guests this last week and my guess is that they will do something about the Edge SS furniture. My feedback was that I won't book another SS on E Class with that balcony furniture. Our balcony is a big part of our experience and it is a deal breaker for us at that price point.

image.png.0ac83b2c957dd12a07185ca1c585b9fb.png

Thanks for posting this picture, Marilyn. I was thinking about this picture a few days ago as I was booking another cruise on Apex. We currently have two more cruises on Edge booked and I have been thinking about whether to keep them, or not. X has plenty of time to correct the situation with the S1 verandah furniture by the time Apex sails, but will they do anything about future Edge cruises? And I sincerely hope that they will not commit the same mistake while revolutionizing the rest of the fleet.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:10 PM, WonderMan3 said:

You might be right but why would they want to discourage room service and dining on balconies?  This is a fundamental service that people in these cabins enjoy across the industry.  Sky Suites have butlers and one of their main services is to bring room service- particularly breakfast service.  Celebrity already eliminated the butler service of bringing coffee/tea and hors d'oeurvres in the afternoon.  Guests now have to go to Michael's Club instead.  It seems the butlers will not have much to do- are they going to eliminate them as well?  As for IV cabins, just a decent size folding table would make a lot of people happy.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

You might be right but why would they want to discourage room service and dining on balconies?  This is a fundamental service that people in these cabins enjoy across the industry.  Sky Suites have butlers and one of their main services is to bring room service- particularly breakfast service.  Celebrity already eliminated the butler service of bringing coffee/tea and hors d'oeurvres in the afternoon.  Guests now have to go to Michael's Club instead.  It seems the butlers will not have much to do- are they going to eliminate them as well?  As for IV cabins, just a decent size folding table would make a lot of people happy.

You can still have tea and hors d'oeurvres brought to your cabin. They just don't do it automatically anymore so you have to request your butler to do it. As to why they would discourage room service? Only Celebrity would know but probably to help reduce the workload for butlers and kitchen staff.

If you look at the new "revolutionalized" pnotos of suites, the "Sky Suite" says...(scroll down)

251 sq. ft.

Veranda 57 sq. ft.

Veranda with lounge seating...does not seem to be the case on Edge...

https://webapps.celebritycruises.com/revolution/accommodations

Maybe it is just me, but the veranda's are smaller too on some of the ships.  i would love to see the S class S1 aft!

Edited by Lastdance