How Sweet Will The Suite Life Be On The Edge?

vtcruising

11 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

If you look at the new "revolutionalized" pnotos of suites, the "Sky Suite" says...

251 sq. ft.

Veranda 57 sq. ft.

Veranda with lounge seating...does not seem to be the case on Edge...

https://webapps.celebritycruises.com/revolution/accommodations/

Which ships are these pictures supposed to be for, S-class or M-class? The cabin configurations are different for each class.

Also, did you notice the “real” chairs on the Sky suite verandah? And you can't see the sea from the bed at all..?!

Edited by C-Dragons

8 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Which ships are these pictures supposed to be for, S-class or M-class? The cabin configurations are different for each class.

Also, did you notice the “real” chairs on the Sky suite verandah? And you can't see the sea from the bed at all..?!

I  know...very strange, especially after Edge debut...I am really confused now!  I have no idea which class of ship, but this is confusing at best!  Yes, I did see another style of chair too!

Edited by Lastdance

8 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

8 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I  know...very strange, especially after Edge debut...I am really confused now!  I have no idea which class of ship, but this is confusing at best!

I just watched the video and on the tv screen in the background you can see S-class ships so I'm guessing this is supposed to be for them. I would like to see what they have planned for the M-class!

Edited by C-Dragons

On 12/3/2018 at 1:44 PM, vtcruising said:

I just wanted to be clear that I didn't get a lounger because I complained (I probably wasn't clear). I just did what we've done on every cruise in an S1 and that was the first day give our list of requests, which are few (they ask for our requests). We always have requested a lounger or two and have always received it on S Class S1's, without an issue. I had no idea if the Edge would be different because of new rules on a new ship, but again requested a lounger, if possible. When the cabin attendant came to tell us that sorry, it wasn't allowed, we said not to worry, we understood. The next day when the butler brought breakfast and apologized, we gave him our feedback, saying we were used to a large table and 2 reclining chairs with foot rests at a minimum on S Class S1's so at least had expected that (and that the lounger would be lovely, but would understand if they were not able to do that). He had already spoken to Priscilla, his manager, and asked her to speak with us (we didn't request that - we were just going to give our feedback to X after the cruise). She asked for and received our feedback and then had a lounger brought to the balcony.  She said that she had received other feedback and that they were in the process of seeing what they should do about it. We have thanked everyone profusely for the lounger (and nice gratuities will be distributed) and my DH is now happily reading on the balcony in comfort.  😊 

Sadly, one deck down from you, I attempted similar, leaving a very nice note for our Butler (who was rarely to be found unless he was disturbing us when he knew we were resting) with a VERY generous tip on the bed the first afternoon... but was told it was absolutely impossible to have a lounger on our aft S1 balcony.  We got a lovely arrangement of flowers instead 😞

On 12/4/2018 at 8:45 AM, dcbiker97 said:

VT thank you for all your observations. You’ve been amazing.  Can you comment on Luminae? We always sail in suites to get access to Luminae. One of the things that really appeals to us is to be able order off the MDR menu. I understand that because of logistics that’s not possible.  My partner is allergic to a number of things and access to the MDR menu has been a life saver.  Do they at least have the every day favorites and will continue to do special requests if you give a days notice.   

We noticed throughout the cruise, regardless of where we dined, when the waiter/ess introduced themselves, the first question was if we had any allergies.  Quite a change from previous sailings, and while we don't have any limitations, a very nice addition we thought.

7 minutes ago, BurBunny said:

We noticed throughout the cruise, regardless of where we dined, when the waiter/ess introduced themselves, the first question was if we had any allergies.  Quite a change from previous sailings, and while we don't have any limitations, a very nice addition we thought.

Very true! We’ve noticed that as well.

13 minutes ago, BurBunny said:

Sadly, one deck down from you, I attempted similar, leaving a very nice note for our Butler (who was rarely to be found unless he was disturbing us when he knew we were resting) with a VERY generous tip on the bed the first afternoon... but was told it was absolutely impossible to have a lounger on our aft S1 balcony.  We got a lovely arrangement of flowers instead 😞

Sorry that you didn’t get a lounger. It doesn’t seem fair. I don’t know if they were giving me a little bit of special treatment because of the injury ( maybe thought it would help me rest better?). Anyway, I hope you had a great cruise - it went way too quickly!!

• Like 1

I know this  thread is about suites but  would point out that there was a time when ALL passengers  on X were treated "like Celebrities!"  Service was top notch and  staff was trained to say "Yes we can"   if at al possible,  rather than "No we can't"

We always had loungers in the hump/ bump out staterooms , the ones  with huge deep balconies, and of course something more than a pygmy table..

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Sorry that you didn’t get a lounger. It doesn’t seem fair. I don’t know if they were giving me a little bit of special treatment because of the injury ( maybe thought it would help me rest better?). Anyway, I hope you had a great cruise - it went way too quickly!!

I begrudge you nothing!  You've done so much for so many... and you were injured!  They do need to get their act together, however, for the aft suites at the very least.

It was a WONDERFUL cruise!  I don't sweat the small stuff like that.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, hcat said:

I know this  thread is about suites but  would point out that there was a time when ALL passengers  on X were treated "like Celebrities!"  Service was top notch and  staff was trained to say "Yes we can"   if at al possible,  rather than "No we can't"

We always had loungers in the hump/ bump out staterooms , the ones  with huge deep balconies, and of course something more than a pygmy table..

Yes, we have  had loungers on our AQ aft with the huge balconies on M Class - 1141 and 1138. 

I like Ike the term “Pygmy table” - I’m picturing my DH all hunched over trying to eat from it while retrieving tea from the Tom - Tom. It’s funny now 😊

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BurBunny said:

I begrudge you nothing!  You've done so much for so many... and you were injured!  They do need to get their act together, however, for the aft suites at the very least.

It was a WONDERFUL cruise!  I don't sweat the small stuff like that.

Great attitude! So glad you enjoyed it! What did you like the best?

2 hours ago, hcat said:

The problem has come with social media. One person asks for something special that is not included as part of the standard cabin amenities then they post about it where thousands of eyes can see.  Many of those people go onboard and request the same thing. More and more requests come in and it starts to get the staff crazy. Management then usually responds by shutting it all down across the board. Then people get upset when the staff member tells them no and they don't get what they saw others getting. The original person who got the special thing also gets upset if they go back on another cruise and find that they are told no this time. It can really put the staff in an uncomfortable position and is unfair to them. And no, not everyone will get upset with staff but some will and that's not cool. I used to work in customer service and would encounter the same thing on the phone when a customer would call in with some out of guidelines request because their friend had gotten that request fulfilled by some other rep. Then I would follow the guidelines and have to tell them no and get yelled at by the customer or made to feel like a jerk because I disappointed them.

There are plenty of requests that staff can say yes to...bring you extra hangers..bring you hypo-allergenic pillows...add a cushioner to the bed if it's uncomfortable...swap your sparkling wine for sparkling cider if you don't drink alcohol...butler brings the afternoon snacks to your room instead of you having to visit the lounge, etc. All of those are within their purview and can help make your experience more enjoyable. They shouldn't have to be put in the position of having to say no to requests for things that are not included with the cabin like adding a lounger to the balcony, asking to swap Co Bigelow products for Bulgari or delivering a room service order with food from a specialty restaurant (just throwing out random request possibilities here, not saying anyone has been asking for that here save for the lounge chair).

4 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

The problem has come with social media. One person asks for something special that is not included as part of the standard cabin amenities then they post about it where thousands of eyes can see.  Many of those people go onboard and request the same thing. More and more requests come in and it starts to get the staff crazy. Management then usually responds by shutting it all down across the board. Then people get upset when the staff member tells them no and they don't get what they saw others getting. The original person who got the special thing also gets upset if they go back on another cruise and find that they are told no this time. It can really put the staff in an uncomfortable position and is unfair to them. And no, not everyone will get upset with staff but some will and that's not cool. I used to work in customer service and would encounter the same thing on the phone when a customer would call in with some out of guidelines request because their friend had gotten that request fulfilled by some other rep. Then I would follow the guidelines and have to tell them no and get yelled at by the customer or made to feel like a jerk because I disappointed them.

There are plenty of requests that staff can say yes to...bring you extra hangers..bring you hypo-allergenic pillows...add a cushioner to the bed if it's uncomfortable...swap your sparkling wine for sparkling cider if you don't drink alcohol...butler brings the afternoon snacks to your room instead of you having to visit the lounge, etc. All of those are within their purview and can help make your experience more enjoyable. They shouldn't have to be put in the position of having to say no to requests for things that are not included with the cabin like adding a lounger to the balcony, asking to swap Co Bigelow products for Bulgari or delivering a room service order with food from a specialty restaurant (just throwing out random request possibilities here, not saying anyone has been asking for that here save for the lounge chair).

Not sure if I agree completely.  I'm more of the mind to ask for the world but don't be mad if you don't get it.  Especially since we don't really know what is "part of standard cabin amenities" and part of the concierge/butler/whoever's job is to be able to reply to non-standard requests.  Even if the response is "No."  But, customers do need to understand that every cruise/ship/line is different.  For instance, on some lines room service from specialty restaurants is perfectly acceptable, on others it's not.  Social media is a great way to share tips and experiences.  I didn't think to ask for the hors d'oeurvres and just thought they were discontinued.  I think the only thing that would get me irate is if the cabin next to me on the same cruise got something that I wanted but was denied.

I've always wondered if it would add to or subtract from the magic if there was a sheet left in each category of room (or on the app, now that they're going paperless) that said something like, "Here's a list of frequently requested amenities that your attendant would be happy to provide on request and here's a list of frequently requested items that we cannot provide.  If there's anything not listed that you would like, please ask and we'll try our best, but can't guarantee anything."  

15 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Maybe it is just me, but the veranda's are smaller too on some of the ships.  i would love to see the S class S1 aft!

Here is the balcony of S1 corner aft on the Reflection, #9301.

FE68A534-CA00-46F3-B7DC-715F70950CA0.jpeg

10 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I have always asked for a lounger on my balcony on every CS and RS I have been in and I have never been told that I can't do it unless there is no space for it. Most times it is sitting out on the balcony when we arrive or if not it is brought down on the first day. I have never tried to get one when in a Sky suite as there really isn't a lot of available space, even in the ones at the back. 

I don't know if this is a specific Edge problem but I will be a bit put out if I don't get one in February/March next year. 

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

Marilyn,

Very sorry to use to word complained.  You have certainly shown all of us here that you are not a complainer and have a great attitude and approach to finding solutions.  You have been a voice for all of us.  You did request a lounger as part of a list of things from your butler which is the proper way and you did at least start the conversation that you had loungers on other aft S1's on other ships.  It seems that those in charge are getting the message one way or another. But BurBunny had the same request for an S1 and was refused.  So those of you that have sailed need to continue to provide feedback about all of the balcony furniture from IV's on up but only if you were disappointed of course.

Regarding the lack there of lounge chairs on the Edge S1 cabin 313 sq ft  with a balcony 165 sq ft, which can easily fit two lounge chairs. We thank you all for this information. We spend most our vacation in our cabin on our balcony, even in port. We venture out to eat and stretch our sea legs. If we find from you all this situation is not resolved before final payment we will cancel and switch our booking to a another cruise line. We will call our TA and see if this cabin balcony lounge chairs can be guaranteed to us. If no guarantee, ta,ta Edge.. We will not take a chance of our vacation being ruined because we can not enjoy our balcony the way we want. Thank you all for your input. We had no idea..

1 hour ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I have always asked for a lounger on my balcony on every CS and RS I have been in and I have never been told that I can't do it unless there is no space for it. Most times it is sitting out on the balcony when we arrive or if not it is brought down on the first day. I have never tried to get one when in a Sky suite as there really isn't a lot of available space, even in the ones at the back. 

I don't know if this is a specific Edge problem but I will be a bit put out if I don't get one in February/March next year. 

Royal Suites all come with a lounger (I have stayed in two) and CS too I believe (haven’t stayed in one but I thought I saw photos of the lounger on the deck) so if one wasn’t there then of course you should ask for it as it is an included part of that suite category. Not the case with Sky Suites.

Just now, WonderMan3 said:

Royal Suites all come with a lounger (I have stayed in two) and CS too I believe (haven’t stayed in one but I thought I saw photos of the lounger on the deck) so if one wasn’t there then of course you should ask for it as it is an included part of that suite category. Not the case with Sky Suites.

Sorry, I am talking about an extra one from the pool deck so that I can have somewhere to recline. My wife commandeers that one that is one the balcony. Our daughter accompanied us on our last cruise which was in a RS and she decided the lounger that the butler had brought was hers. 

I agree that social media can set up expectations - luckily we are laid back enough to not blame any individual and move on. We totally understand that different ships/managers have different rules. We have been refused for some of the simple things that others have said they received here (or we may have received the benefit on a different cruise) - they wouldn't trade our sparkling wine for a comparably-priced red wine one time, for example. We just left the sparkling wine for the next people.

We heard about the lounger for the aft S1's on S Class many years ago on CC so assumed this was a common request for staterooms with bigger balconies. We have requested and been given a lounger on our S1's each time on S Class. I am fine with the reclining chair and foot stool.  My DH likes to lie prone when in the sun when not reading and the reclining chairs don't lie flat. The lounger they have brought in the past has fit very nicely to one side, with the large table and chairs/foot stools on the other side. 

image.thumb.png.b0fa7846f954507d6c304d5a451c6031.png

This one from S Class, is aluminum so light and maybe folds up easily.  The one they brought us on the Edge looked fixed and heavy. That may be why they were reluctant to bring one to us. I imagine it was a job to carry it through the hallways. I had said that having foot stools would be fine for this short cruise, if that was possible, but apparently that wasn't an option. Maybe by the time we return in January we will have better chairs and foot stools, or at least one lounger for those 12 S1 afts that have plenty of room (a few people have said that those suites are much further away from the Retreat so maybe should have a lounger). If not, my DH will be the one laying prone at the Retreat, snoring away. 🙂

image.thumb.png.24b9dee2717319f9697c19bc9dac5493.png

For me, the table was the bigger issue for those of us who look forward to breakfast on the balcony. This is what we had on the Reflection in an  S1 corner aft a few years ago:

image.thumb.png.616269689d9745ab0ebd8ed0bb35bef3.png

This was on the Edge on Sunday morning in an S1 aft:

image.png.517ced450159f6e3bfca9679722ca1c9.png

We don't need the white tablecloth and huge table, but without a coffee table or decent-sized balcony table, we are left hunched over the teeny tiny table. It wasn't enjoyable.

We were on a preview cruise, which are meant to help to sort out the glitches. I am hopeful that they will correct this situation. The table problem for room service is a problem for almost all staterooms on this ship and hopefully will be fixed for all.

As far as size, the corner aft S1s for S Class seem a little longer but not as wide so they may be similar in square footage.

Reflection S1 corner aft (doesn't show the whole thing):

image.thumb.png.165d04af30ceef51346af7071e6e8349.png

Edge Corner aft S1 (doesn't show the whole thing)

image.thumb.png.0759d78ff95463550eea43fbed2b1c04.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OriginalBoat said:

Not sure if I agree completely.  I'm more of the mind to ask for the world but don't be mad if you don't get it.  Especially since we don't really know what is "part of standard cabin amenities" and part of the concierge/butler/whoever's job is to be able to reply to non-standard requests.  Even if the response is "No."  But, customers do need to understand that every cruise/ship/line is different.  For instance, on some lines room service from specialty restaurants is perfectly acceptable, on others it's not.  Social media is a great way to share tips and experiences.  I didn't think to ask for the hors d'oeurvres and just thought they were discontinued.  I think the only thing that would get me irate is if the cabin next to me on the same cruise got something that I wanted but was denied.

I've always wondered if it would add to or subtract from the magic if there was a sheet left in each category of room (or on the app, now that they're going paperless) that said something like, "Here's a list of frequently requested amenities that your attendant would be happy to provide on request and here's a list of frequently requested items that we cannot provide.  If there's anything not listed that you would like, please ask and we'll try our best, but can't guarantee anything."  

Social media is a double edged sword. As I said in my previous post, in can create a situation where people have expectations of receiving something that another cruiser made a special request for and then encountering disappointment if the request is denied. But it can also be a valuable source of information. And I disagree with your comment that you can’t know what is part of standard cabin amenities. There is an amenities list for every cabin category on Celebrity’s website. And if you have questions beyond that you can ask that here and you will get an answer from any number of other informed cruisers. And yes, it would be irritating to see someone else getting something on your same cruise that you were denied. We are already seeing that situation in this thread where two cruisers on Edge on the same sailing in the same category type both requested loungers and one got it but the other didn’t. 

7 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

Sorry, I am talking about an extra one from the pool deck so that I can have somewhere to recline. My wife commandeers that one that is one the balcony. Our daughter accompanied us on our last cruise which was in a RS and she decided the lounger that the butler had brought was hers. 

That’s still different. Loungers are already a defined amenity for those categories unlike Sky Suites. Adding another can be a help or a hindrance. We found an extra one on one of our RS decks one time from a prior guest and had it removed as it was too cumbersome on the deck with all of that there. When we were in the PH last year there were some extras there and we left them. Never used them but they weren’t in the way and we didn’t want to bother the butler with it.

50 minutes ago, Teacher42 said:

Regarding the lack there of lounge chairs on the Edge S1 cabin 313 sq ft  with a balcony 165 sq ft, which can easily fit two lounge chairs. We thank you all for this information. We spend most our vacation in our cabin on our balcony, even in port. We venture out to eat and stretch our sea legs. If we find from you all this situation is not resolved before final payment we will cancel and switch our booking to a another cruise line. We will call our TA and see if this cabin balcony lounge chairs can be guaranteed to us. If no guarantee, ta,ta Edge.. We will not take a chance of our vacation being ruined because we can not enjoy our balcony the way we want. Thank you all for your input. We had no idea..

Agree that is how we like to enjoy our vacation time. We come out at night for drinks and food!  So finding a cabin with loungers was paramount. NCL suites we booked had 2 loungers - paradise. Celebrity RS only had 1. A couple years ago on Equinox I asked the hotel director for another lounger and he said no. I was disappointed, but we still booked the RS again as 1 was better than none. But this ship has stolen all of our loungers. People that go to the pool everyday may not mind as much. 

We just booked a 7 day NCL getaway Haven cabin that has 2 loungers. We hope celebrity listens to everyone. Enjoying the privacy on your private open air balcony is one main reason why we cruise rather than stay at land based oceanside hotels. 

• Like 1