MAJESTIC PRINCESS - 24th August - Shanghai to Sydney

Thanks so much Chez for all your fantastic posts about your Majestic cruise. It has made me think that perhaps we would enjoy a cruise on her. We had always thought we wouldn't like these extra big ships but after reading about your cruise, are having second thoughts. All the information you have provided for us has been fabulous.

Thanks again,

Leigh

Thanks so much Chez for all your fantastic posts about your Majestic cruise. It has made me think that perhaps we would enjoy a cruise on her. We had always thought we wouldn't like these extra big ships but after reading about your cruise, are having second thoughts. All the information you have provided for us has been fabulous.

Thanks again,

Leigh

No worries Leigh, thanks for reading.

To be honest, the ship didnt feel that big to us, when I got off yesterday in Sydney and saw it from a distance in the harbour, I couldnt believe it was that large!!

There are problems with crowding in the Piazza and central areas, but as I have mentioned before, if the high end shop space was freed up, there would be much more public areas. Luckily they allow everyone to sit in Vines and Le Mer during the day.

I also cannot understand why some days they pack up all the seating and put art works all around the Gong Cha/ Princess Live area, as if there is not enough seating for people.

We would walk from the Piazza area as there was no seating to Gong Cha for a coffee, only to find art work all over the seating, that really annoyed us!!

The Photo shop area also is huge and takes a great amount of space on deck 6, opposite Alfedos, I only saw it busy the last day.

Just lots of places that were always empty and places that were always crowded.

My favorite ship to date is the Emerald Princess which was my first cruise with a International Cafe onboard. Now I view that as a must have onboard any ship LOL..:).

Agree, we loved the Emerald too, reason we have booked the Ruby when here.

IC is a great 24 hr place in a good location for the action and a changing menu.

Someone was telling us they had friends onboard, a couple that get a seat early in the morning, then take it in turns going and doing things all day separately so they save the table, how sad:(

Let the IC be for those that enjoy a tea/coffee, a meal perhaps a little read or internet time while drinking/eating, then let someone else have a go. Don't sit there all day playing cards.

I feel guilty sitting there when I have finished, I see someone wandering around looking for seating and go and ask if they would like a table.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone on a cruise was considerate of others........yeah, I know, dreaming!!

Agree, we loved the Emerald too, reason we have booked the Ruby when here.

IC is a great 24 hr place in a good location for the action and a changing menu.

Someone was telling us they had friends onboard, a couple that get a seat early in the morning, then take it in turns going and doing things all day separately so they save the table, how sad:(

Let the IC be for those that enjoy a tea/coffee, a meal perhaps a little read or internet time while drinking/eating, then let someone else have a go. Don't sit there all day playing cards.

I feel guilty sitting there when I have finished, I see someone wandering around looking for seating and go and ask if they would like a table.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone on a cruise was considerate of others........yeah, I know, dreaming!!

We were on a cruise a while ago and sat next to a lovely older couple at dinner. They were travelling with others and one lot would sit inside all day and the other in the same spot outside and then change around at different times, so they didn’t lose the prime spots. They were there from very early until time for dinner, so when I read about the Cabanas it reminded me of them.

BTW Our favourite ships would be either Rhapsody of the Seas or Diamond Princess. Cheryle

Thanks Chez for such a great detailed review. We are on the return repositioning to Hong Kong next March and are really excited now to see it for ourselves. It will our longest cruise yet with lots of sea days but it sounds like it’s really relaxing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Chez for the wonderful information on Majestic. Shame about no promenade deck and the congestion in the IC and the Piazza at night.

However, can Thorpe come back and tell us about the shows at night in the Theatre? We generally arrive at the shows 20-30 minutes before but I don't know that the other half would welcome being in the theatre for an hour just to see a show. What is Crooners like?

I am booked for February 2020 on Majestic and while I like the itinerary (Melbourne to Singapore) Explorer of the Seas is one of my favourite ships and it is doing lots of sailing out of Melbourne in 2020/21, I could be tempted to jump ship.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Rosie

We were on a cruise a while ago and sat next to a lovely older couple at dinner. They were travelling with others and one lot would sit inside all day and the other in the same spot outside and then change around at different times, so they didn’t lose the prime spots. They were there from very early until time for dinner, so when I read about the Cabanas it reminded me of them.

BTW Our favourite ships would be either Rhapsody of the Seas or Diamond Princess. Cheryle

Lovely old couple? I would call them chair hogs !!! :evilsmile: Agree with Chez..SAD people !

I’m going to try and get to a show tonight so I’ll see how full it is. 7.45pm and 9.45pm. They are playing the early show into Princess Live on a screen ,so must be expecting a full house in the theatre. I presume they did that on the Shanghai cruise as well.

Thank you so much, Chez for the fantastic blog of your cruise. Your writing is so vivid I feel like I have been on holiday with you and you seem to know exactly what we all want to hear about regarding the ship and insider tips. Your time and effort is really appreciated - it has been a pleasure to follow your journey.

Caroline

Lovely old couple? I would call them chair hogs !!! :evilsmile: Agree with Chez..SAD people !

They were quite nice, but strange. Even though they travelled with friends, they ate separately each evening and at lunch, but I always guessed the lunch was so they could keep their spots. I agree SAD, but Cruising takes all types🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’m going to try and get to a show tonight so I’ll see how full it is. 7.45pm and 9.45pm. They are playing the early show into Princess Live on a screen ,so must be expecting a full house in the theatre. I presume they did that on the Shanghai cruise as well.

Yes, they did this for a few things, we watched some of the destination talks in Princess Live.

Have fun!

Thanks Chez for such a great detailed review. We are on the return repositioning to Hong Kong next March and are really excited now to see it for ourselves. It will our longest cruise yet with lots of sea days but it sounds like it’s really relaxing.

Glad you’re on our cruise.

We love the seadays, it was a nice break between the busy ports.

There is plenty to do, but we usually do none of it, we have a sea day routine that revolves around eating, reading and catching up on movies:). Stuff we dont get to do at home together.

I am sure when we are of retirment age things will change and we will be looking forward to doing things apart a bit, but we are usually inseparable:hearteyes:

Thanks to Chez and now Thorpe for the wonderful insight into Majestic Princess. Just wondering if you can tell me if kids are permitted in the Hollywood Conservatory?

Shaz, those on board now might be able to tell you a bit more as we only saw a couple of kids on our cruise.

The sign out front says Adults only, but a sign inside where the rules are says Kids under 16 must be supervised by an adult.

There were quite a few kids that boarded in Brisbane and I am sure a few on the cruise now, so someone may have more info.

Thank you so much, Chez for the fantastic blog of your cruise. Your writing is so vivid I feel like I have been on holiday with you and you seem to know exactly what we all want to hear about regarding the ship and insider tips. Your time and effort is really appreciated - it has been a pleasure to follow your journey.

Caroline

Caroline, glad you could come along......sadly I have no cruises booked until next November when the Splendor comes from Singapore to Sydney to be homeported fulltime in Sydney. No free internet for me on Carnival........but I am sure I will work something out haha!!

My report on - the interest of the time to get a seat in the theatre - for the experiment I went in at 7.09pm for the 7.45pm show and the place was probably about a third full. I sat on the right hand side half up. Obviously the centre area and the back areas on the sides were mostly taken. The front third of the theatre was pretty free but by 7.15 or so it was very hard for folks to get a seat. And at 7.25 no seats to be had.The half hour wait for the show wasn’t boring as it was very amusing watching folks looking for seats, folks holding seats and trying not to make eye contact with anyone, and just general people watching. The show Fantastic Journey was very good and is repeated during the journey with a new cast. I’ll be going to other shows while onboard and will let you know how crowded it is and by what time. I took my kindle in to read but didn’t get around to it while waiting as other passengers kept me amused !

My report on - the interest of the time to get a seat in the theatre - for the experiment I went in at 7.09pm for the 7.45pm show and the place was probably about a third full. I sat on the right hand side half up. Obviously the centre area and the back areas on the sides were mostly taken. The front third of the theatre was pretty free but by 7.15 or so it was very hard for folks to get a seat. And at 7.25 no seats to be had.The half hour wait for the show wasn’t boring as it was very amusing watching folks looking for seats, folks holding seats and trying not to make eye contact with anyone, and just general people watching. The show Fantastic Journey was very good and is repeated during the journey with a new cast. I’ll be going to other shows while onboard and will let you know how crowded it is and by what time. I took my kindle in to read but didn’t get around to it while waiting as other passengers kept me amused !

Love it, that is exactly the tactic the wife and I use. Get in early and watch what goes on. Unfortunately we normally get rugby size folks in front of us.:D

All depends on the show, if it is real popular the theatre will fill up an hour before, like on Royal Princess and Sapphire Princess, which we were on recently. This was in Europe and the acts were top class, believe me.

Work out the numbers, seating capacity in the theatre on 'Royal Class' ships like Majestic is 850. So if they run 2 shows on one night, that is 1700 seats for a 3500 pax capacity ship. Inevitable many will miss out, perhaps 50% at worst scenario, so get there real early !!!!:loudcry: